PDA

View Full Version : booing liam miller tonight??

Pages : [1] 2

the 12 th man
31/03/2004, 7:28 AM
just wondering whats going to happen if anybody starts to boo him tonight as there was speculation on the radio this morning about it.what a disaster that would be.the current situation regarding his move to man utd is causing all
kinds of (unessessary)negative vibes between a lot of people.

Plastic Paddy
31/03/2004, 7:51 AM
just wondering whats going to happen if anybody starts to boo him tonight as there was speculation on the radio this morning about it.what a disaster that would be.the current situation regarding his move to man utd is causing all kinds of (unessessary)negative vibes between a lot of people.

Here's what I posted on another closely-related thread:

Whatever we Celtic fans think of Miller's conduct in respect of our club, when he plays for Ireland that's a completely different matter. It's incumbent on us to behave ourselves. I'd like to think that all Celtic fans present can join other Ireland fans in cheering another great Irish prospect making his debut.

All bets are off, of course, when we play Hearts at CP this Saturday... ;)

:D PP

tetsujin1979
31/03/2004, 8:55 AM
don't think there will be outright booing of him, just maybe a "muted" response. On the other hand if he nabs a hat trick, he'll be beatified in the morning ;)

wws
31/03/2004, 9:37 AM
I'll be booing him. I boo all Glasgow Celtic players at Ireland matches. Even their ex-players and 'in between' players. Its a matter of principle, the bigots.

tiktok
31/03/2004, 9:44 AM
settle now wws :D :D

i'll cheer him when he comes on, he's an irish player and should get a positive response from Irish fans. if any celtic "fans" decide it's ok2boo him, then they're not irish fans, simple as that. whatever arguments certain parties offered in defence of the booing of rangers players absolutely do not apply here.

Nolanbhoy
31/03/2004, 9:48 AM
I find it strange you boo the Celtic players playing for Ireland as most Celtic fans agree with your signature "brits out"and a high percentage of Ireland fans follow Celtic.

Dodge
31/03/2004, 9:49 AM
wasn't the ok2boo campaign based on the fact that they had to the right to boo opposition players.

Massive difference booing your own.

Wonder will Maybury get booed (him being a Prod playing for a Prod club)

Lionel Ritchie
31/03/2004, 10:17 AM
wasn't the ok2boo campaign based on the fact that they had to the right to boo opposition players.

Absolutely no excuse for anyone booing an Irish player in an Ireland shirt regardless of who he plays/played/signed a pre-contract with and it's ESPECIALLY inexcusable to boo a player based on their religious convictions etc.
Likewise any opposition players -no excuse whatsoever, no exceptions, no debate.

lopez
31/03/2004, 10:31 AM

Judas was booed against Iceland so there is a precedent of booing our own, even though it was to do with Ireland not some club.

Personally I'd be f*cking raging if he's booed tonight because he's leaving Celtic. I hope the stewards f*ck anyone out who does. Who gives a f*ck where he plays along as he becomes the best he can, they look after him and he's happy. If that was Ibrox, so what? :mad:

pete
31/03/2004, 11:27 AM

Didn't know that. Definitely have to boo the bigot now.

Macy
31/03/2004, 12:44 PM
Judas was booed against Iceland so there is a precedent of booing our own, even though it was to do with Ireland not some club.

Was that to do with Ireland, or a knob of a journalist with a personal vendetta + a gullible knobs in the crowd?

lopez
31/03/2004, 1:07 PM
Was that to do with Ireland, or a knob of a journalist with a personal vendetta + a gullible knobs in the crowd?
Ahhh! Saint Roy. :rolleyes:

Metrostars
31/03/2004, 7:08 PM
Here we go again with the Celtic fans. Not much between the ears of these people. Especially when the boo the wrong players (re: Denmark)

Plastic Paddy
31/03/2004, 9:33 PM
Here we go again with the Celtic fans. Not much between the ears of these people. Especially when the boo the wrong players (re: Denmark)

GTF with your generalisations. Plenty of intelligent Celtic fans including many that were at the game tonight want nothing to do with the booing of Miller. Read the other posts hereabouts to see as much.

:mad: PP

Breen
31/03/2004, 9:48 PM
Absolutely no excuse for anyone booing an Irish player in an Ireland shirt regardless of who he plays/played/signed a pre-contract with and it's ESPECIALLY inexcusable to boo a player based on their religious convictions etc.
Likewise any opposition players -no excuse whatsoever, no exceptions, no debate.

Exactly. When you're watching the Irish, leave your prejudices at home and just enjoy the match.

NigeSausagepump
31/03/2004, 11:11 PM
Having been on the South Terrace for the game, I'm glad to report nothing more than 2/3 idiots near me booing Miller or shouting "Judas". I'm even happier to report that they were shouted down by a far greater of irate fans telling them to F off with their petty minded idiocy.

fergalr
01/04/2004, 12:44 PM
Agree with part 1; disagree with part 2.

No debate? Shall we just close down this forum then?

John83
01/04/2004, 12:58 PM
Thankfully almost no morons booing him in the north terrace too. He did alright when he came on too. Composed on the ball.

Lionel Ritchie
01/04/2004, 1:03 PM
Agree with part 1; disagree with part 2.

No debate? Shall we just close down this forum then?

So let's be clear here. Are you saying you think it's acceptable to boo an opposition player based upon who he plays/played/signed a pre-contract with or based on his religious convictions then fergal?

I don't. There are no (for example) Celtic or Rangers players at LR. There are simply Ireland players and some other countries players. And as for it being debatable I don't think it's any more debatable than motions like "are catholics deviants?", "are prods bigots?", "are travellers smelly?" or "are non-whites lazy?" There is simply no acceptable case to be made "for".

fergalr
01/04/2004, 1:06 PM
So let's be clear here. Are you saying you think it's acceptable to boo an opposition player based upon who he plays/played/signed a pre-contract with or based on his religious convictions then fergal?

I (and many others) booed Glenn Fitzpatrick at the Rover/$hels game - was that acceptable?

Éanna
01/04/2004, 1:32 PM
glad to see it didn't really materialise. club rivalry should be left at home for international matches

4tothefloor
01/04/2004, 1:41 PM
What about Chris Doran though - he probably went home devastated after the reception he got. :D Whoever made the decision to have him sing at half time should be shot. I mean come on - Eurovision at an Irish game....... :rolleyes:

NigeSausagepump
01/04/2004, 1:59 PM
What about Chris Doran though - he probably went home devastated after the reception he got. :D Whoever made the decision to have him sing at half time should be shot. I mean come on - Eurovision at an Irish game....... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the booing of the 'celebrities' is becoming one of the more entertaining features of home games. I also particularly enjoyed the boos afforded to Royston "I'm running for the European Parliament, you know" Brady at the presentation before the game.

tiktok
01/04/2004, 2:26 PM
I (and many others) booed Glenn Fitzpatrick at the Rover/$hels game - was that acceptable?

of course it was, but that's a completely different argument, it wasn't Celtic -v- Man Utd last night, it was Ireland -v- Czech republic, glad to see it didn't happen, although i heard a few people refer to him as a scumbag, that's pot calling the kettle black IMO

4tothefloor
01/04/2004, 2:39 PM
I heard a good few boo & insult Miller, plus Milan Baros got an awful reception as well. Why??

Plastic Paddy
01/04/2004, 2:42 PM
Milan Baros got an awful reception as well. Why??

Why indeed. ManYooNided "fans" booing a Liverpool player, maybe? Probably some of the same sorts who have carpeted Celtic "fans" for booing Rangers players/ex-players in recent times. The whole booing thing at national games is pathetic and embarrassing, whoever is involved. Time to grow up.

(We're not the only ones tainted, btw. Alan Thompson had fifteen minutes of "No Surrender to the IRA" and anti-Celtic songs thrown at him by the chimps among the England "support" after starting for them last night. Nice.)

the scout
01/04/2004, 9:01 PM
i think all this booing,particularly at international matches is a reasonably new unwelcome development.what we are talking about here i think is a basic lack of respect for both the player himself and the countries shirt he pulls on.this cancer im afraid includes players who pull on the green shirt for ireland/how dare they, the fcuckers even think about booing any player who has the balls to play in an international match.admit it lads, they say its a great honour and i know it is,to play for your country but it takes bottle to play at this level also.

i would not care who any player played for when it comes to an international match you respect the player and his country,even if its against england/waits for reaction/
if the english fans for instance behave like wkners it doesnt mean that we do likewise.

Plastic Paddy
01/04/2004, 9:14 PM
i would not care who any player played for when it comes to an international match you respect the player and his country

Respect is earned. To whit:

I've just seen Viorel Ganea's career-threatening challenge on John Kennedy from last night's Scotland-Romania match (he's out for twelve months with multiple knee ligament damage, btw) and it will be all I can doo not to catcall the dirty ******* if he plays at Lansdowne in our next game. Sorry, but right now I'm bloody angry about this. Not an Ireland matter, I know, and it runs counter to what I've said elsewhere, but I daresay he'll be booed if he plays at LR. And I'm not sure I will blame those who do.

the scout
01/04/2004, 9:37 PM

I've just seen Viorel Ganea's career-threatening challenge on John Kennedy from last night's Scotland-Romania PP

pp, a dirty player will always get a hard time from opposing supporters and rightly so(its gone on as long as football has).what i think is different now though is at international matches players are getting booed for playing for a league team in england who the people dont like irrespective of whether they are hard men or just an ordinary guy trying to make a living.
this would never have happened at intl matches up to a couple of years ago.

lopez
01/04/2004, 11:09 PM

I've just seen Viorel Ganea's career-threatening challenge on John Kennedy from last night's Scotland-Romania match (he's out for twelve months with multiple knee ligament damage, btw) and it will be all I can doo not to catcall the dirty ******* if he plays at Lansdowne in our next game. Sorry, but right now I'm bloody angry about this. Not an Ireland matter, I know, and it runs counter to what I've said elsewhere, but I daresay he'll be booed if he plays at LR. And I'm not sure I will blame those who do.
This is the crux with Celtic and Ireland. If Ganea had almost finished Zinedine Zedine's career, no one would give a f*ck (apart from perhaps Eanna) at LRd. Sorry PP, but Kennedy plays for Scotland and on this one I'm with the anti-Celts. It's not our problem what happens to other countries players.

Plastic Paddy
02/04/2004, 7:13 AM
This is the crux with Celtic and Ireland. If Ganea had almost finished Zinedine Zedine's career, no one would give a f*ck (apart from perhaps Eanna) at LRd. Sorry PP, but Kennedy plays for Scotland and on this one I'm with the anti-Celts. It's not our problem what happens to other countries players.

I understand that Lopez, it's just that I - personally speaking as a fan of the club for whom Kennedy plays - would find it hard to give those who let Ganea know what they think a hard time over it. If they were to boo him for being Romanian, playing for Wolves, parking his hire car wrongly at Dublin Airport, etc. - all of this I consider unacceptable, and would react accordingly.

I appreciate this is a blurring of the country/club supporting line as discussed at some length above, but we're not likely to see Ganea at CP in the foreseeable future and I'm sure one or two people will choose to make their views known at LR instead.

Watch the challenge and see for yourself why my ire is provoked. (Sky Sports News were showing it about every ten minutes last night). I'm sure that - hypothetically speaking - if a young Irish player had been in a similar and potentially career-ending situation with Ganea in a club game (specifically not an Ireland fixture in other words), then the fans at LR would round on him collectively with none of this navel-gazing regarding the booing of players.

Rant over.

:) PP

lopez
02/04/2004, 11:03 AM
PP. It isn't merely a case of club and country. It's a case for many of the elevation of Celtic to the same heights of Irishness - or even higher - as the Irish team. I've known some Celtic fans that detest the 'free-state' side, not because of anti-Irishness but through their own blinkered politics. I knew one 'blanket protest' lookalike at the London No. 1 who asked why anyone Irish would support either of the two Irish sides. Indeed some of the top weekend provos would gladly cheer if Alan Thompson had scored a goal the other night. When Henrik Larsson scored one of the goals that prevented Poland from going to Euro 2000 and let the tans in instead, there were a few Irish fans who were happy to see Larsson score. HE PLAYS FOR SWEDEN, FFS. I thought Larsson was a c*nt that night when I was in Skopje and I would have booed him the next time I saw him for that alone. But then I would probably have been lynched by the OK2BOO brigade or my 'Irishness' questioned. :rolleyes:

This is one of the reasons I'm pretty cool on Celtic. Like I think it was Eanna who said this on that thread that was closed, I too have some affection for the club, solely because of its Irish connections. This however is tempered by the behaviour of a fair few of their supporters. Booing foreign players for fouls on other foreign players - no matter how bad - , writing a book about a foreign club manager or simply playing for or previously for a foreign rival club has absolutely nothing to do with Ireland and should be left at home. Either boo all our opponents or none of them.

Peadar
02/04/2004, 11:13 AM
Well I can remember LM being boo'd at the game on Wednesday.
He didn't do much to warrant a cheer either though.

I had to laugh at those sad Liverpool fans cheering for Baros as he was taken off!

lopez
02/04/2004, 11:24 AM
Well I can remember LM being boo'd at the game on Wednesday.
He didn't do much to warrant a cheer either though.

I had to laugh at those sad Liverpool fans cheering for Baros as he was taken off!
I haven't been to Lansdowne since 1998 but I have recetnly noticed opposition players being taken off and getting a cheer while watcing on the box. I've thought that either the visiting fans are quite vocal (no great shakes in Lasndowne the Library) or that Irish fans are just being polite. Thanks for telling me the real reason. Dead right: W*nkers - cheering on the man who scored against Ireland. :rolleyes:

sylvo
02/04/2004, 11:49 AM
I was in the east stand on wednesday night and it sounded like the few gob****e's who did boo LM when he came on were mostly in the corner of the south terrace under the commentry box, where all those kid's bounce about shouting @ that fella to ring the bell, maybe if they had their ticket's taken off them for forthcoming match's it might teach them a lesson about supporting people who pull on the green shirt not going against them just because they don't like something they've done for the club they play for. It was only a very very small handfull of a**holes who boo'ed LM, but a small handfull to many. I could'nt care less what people have done @ their club, when they pull on the green shirt they deserve 100 per cent support, nothing less.

the 12 th man
02/04/2004, 12:09 PM
so what if baros scored against us.thats what he is supposed to do!!!!.
there is still no need to boo him

tiktok
02/04/2004, 12:13 PM
plenty players have scored against us and not been booed, Baros was booed because of the liverpool connection pure and simple and it was most likely Man Utd or Everton fans that we're booing him, or else little scumbags for whom Baros was the only name they'd recognise.

there was no need to cheer him off, but i'd sooner that than booing him.

the 12 th man
02/04/2004, 12:20 PM
, Baros was booed because of the liverpool connection pure and simple and it was most likely Man Utd or Everton fans that we're booing him,

in a nut shell,there lies the problem,who gives a sh1t which club he plays for,he is playing for his country and while not expecting to be adored by the home crowd, is entitled to respect because of the fact he is playing for his country

fergalr
02/04/2004, 12:28 PM
Either boo all our opponents or none of them.
Agree 100% (I vote for booing all of them).

John83
02/04/2004, 12:49 PM
there is still no need to boo himAbsolutely agreed. I booed when he scored - but it was for the defending, not the scoring. I applauded him off the pitch, out of respect for a good opposition player.

If he'd injured one of our players (apart from maybe Harte), I would have booed him off, but booing has to be done for the right reasons, or it's just sad. It would have been sad to boo him for being a Liverpool player, and I think a few Man U fans did that last night. It's not just a pathetic Celtic thing. :(

lopez
02/04/2004, 1:44 PM
there is still no need to boo him
No need to cheer him either just because he plays for your favourite foreign club. Supporting Ireland requires a bit of partisanship that leads to a better - yes, more intimidating - atmosphere. Lansdowne road is crap for atmosphere and has been this way since the early nineties. It's time it changed. When you support Ireland you forget everyone else. That includes cheering some gringo cos he's the coooooolest player at some tan team you've attached yourself onto because muppets like Bertie and Veronica (RIP) couldn't be ar*ed with the local game.

the 12 th man
02/04/2004, 1:53 PM
No need to cheer him either just because he plays for your favourite foreign club. Supporting Ireland requires a bit of partisanship that leads to a better - yes, more intimidating - atmosphere.

i couldnt agree more.just dont get the booing bit thats all

Plastic Paddy
02/04/2004, 1:57 PM
booing has to be done for the right reasons, or it's just sad. It would have been sad to boo him for being a Liverpool player, and I think a few Man U fans did that last night. It's not just a pathetic Celtic thing. :(

So it's "sad" when ManUre fans indulge themselves at Baros' expense, but "pathetic" when Celtic fans boo? :rolleyes:

Or are "pathetic Celtic" a team that have somehow never appeared on my radar? :p

;) PP

Peadar
02/04/2004, 2:26 PM
If he'd injured one of our players (apart from maybe Harte)

After the performance Harte put in on Wednesday night I think that's a disgusting thing to say. Harte provided a good option from dead ball situations. With John O'Shea constantly playing badly for Ireland, Harte was our best player in that position out of the last however many games.
I'm not a big fan of Harte and am usually very critical of him but credit where credit is due.
Good goal, good game, well done Ian Harte.

John83
02/04/2004, 3:57 PM
So it's "sad" when ManUre fans indulge themselves at Baros' expense, but "pathetic" when Celtic fans boo? :rolleyes:

Or are "pathetic Celtic" a team that have somehow never appeared on my radar? :p

;) PP:D It's sad and pathetic no matter what set of 'fans' is doing it.

John83
02/04/2004, 4:00 PM
After the performance Harte put in on Wednesday night I think that's a disgusting thing to say. Harte provided a good option from dead ball situations. With John O'Shea constantly playing badly for Ireland, Harte was our best player in that position out of the last however many games.
I'm not a big fan of Harte and am usually very critical of him but credit where credit is due.
Good goal, good game, well done Ian Harte.He was absolutely $hit€ on Wednesday. No matter how good he is from free kicks, it doesn't excuse a defender from defending. Harte frequently just stood there, letting the Czech right winger find space, when he should have closed him down. It's disgusting that Kenny Cunnigham had to come over from the right side of central defense to cover Harte's laziness six or seven times in the first half alone.

I'm not fan of O'Shea either - he's been average at best when defending and outright poor attacking every time I've watched him play for Ireland. It's even more pronounced when I'm watching it live.

One Brian Kerr
02/04/2004, 4:05 PM
I'm a Liverpool fan but i was booing Baros as he was constantly diving and complaining to the referee and anyway i'm sick of all this ****** about respecting the opposition, if the crowd can create a atmosphere that is intimidating to the opposition then that can only help the team.

Chippy
02/04/2004, 4:08 PM
Ah John, Do you not think that you're being just a wee bit harsh. I nearly throw up whenever I see his name on an Irish teamsheet because I fully expect him to cost us a goal with his Mickey-Mouse defending. However there was a marked improvement on Wednesday night. I think the guy who reports for www.thepeoplesflag.com got it about right.

John83
02/04/2004, 4:09 PM
I'm a Liverpool fan but i was booing Baros as he was constantly diving and complaining to the referee and anyway i'm sick of all this ****** about respecting the opposition, if the crowd can create a atmosphere that is intimidating to the opposition then that can only help the team.Hey, fair dues. I didn't notice him diving (too busy shouting abuse at Harte, I imagine), but if he was, boo away. It's boing players for things that have nothing to do with Ireland, or cheering them for same, that gets up my goat.

Bosco
02/04/2004, 8:35 PM

I thought it was a bit sly booing chris doran before he said a word.To say he was booed because he was a celebrity is not right.Its allright to boo bertie but chris doran wasn't even a celebrity.Imagine how nervous he was going out there to what was probably his first big performance.He was greeted by booes and then had to stay there and sing(pretend to sing) for 3 minutes.