PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeepers

bluewhitearmy
20/04/2010, 11:09 PM
Of the keepers I mentioned I have seen McNulty, Devine, Bennion, Delaney and O'Neill play in the last three seasons and I rate them all better keepers than Dave Ryan. What part of my opinion do you guys not understand? I'm not asking ye to agree with it, just respect that its my opinion like I respect yours

Would that be the game for Kildare when he gifted us 2 goals or the other time we played that year when he gifted us one?

Monkfish
21/04/2010, 1:01 AM
Why does our new mod lock a thread that he help drag off topic? fact is we all know who he is and know he is far from been a regular at any of our games, so his opinion on LOI keepers is not as valid as others on here.

Lock the whole place down Joe!

joeSoap
21/04/2010, 7:48 AM
If you want me to I will!! I locked the thread because it had been gone so far off topic for over 40 posts, and yes, I did help drag it off topic so therefore I locked it. I also suggested the opening of this one, so there you go. And seeing as it took you one whole post to drag this one off topic I'd say it might not stay open for very long either :neutral:

Feel free to start a thread called JoeSoaps non-attendance at Limerick games if you wish.

joeSoap
21/04/2010, 8:06 AM
Firstly, apologies to anybody who feels put out by my opinions here because I don't attend as many games as I used to. I do work in Dublin until 6 every Friday and its kind hard in these times to take time off like I used to be able to.

On goalkeepers, I think that Dave Ryan is too inconsistent to be considered a quality goalkeeper. I have seen his inconsistency in the games I have attended over the past few seasons, and judging by several peoples comments here he is still very error prone. Is there a goalkeeping coach at the club any more? He is still young enough to learn, and hopefully these inconsistencies will vanish with more experience. I'm not sure of the breakdown of goals conceded this season, but its pretty normal for 90% of them to be down to defensive lapses than goalkeeper error anyway, so it would be interesting to see how many goals, if any, he is directly responsible for conceding.

Is the lad McGuinness a serious challenger for his place?

bluewhitearmy
21/04/2010, 9:10 AM
Firstly, apologies to anybody who feels put out by my opinions here because I don't attend as many games as I used to. I do work in Dublin until 6 every Friday and its kind hard in these times to take time off like I used to be able to.

On goalkeepers, I think that Dave Ryan is too inconsistent to be considered a quality goalkeeper. I have seen his inconsistency in the games I have attended over the past few seasons, and judging by several peoples comments here he is still very error prone. Is there a goalkeeping coach at the club any more? He is still young enough to learn, and hopefully these inconsistencies will vanish with more experience. I'm not sure of the breakdown of goals conceded this season, but its pretty normal for 90% of them to be down to defensive lapses than goalkeeper error anyway, so it would be interesting to see how many goals, if any, he is directly responsible for conceding.

Yes there is Paul Fagan.

No not at all. Gone from the bench last 2 games replaced on it by Brian Collopy who could be a challenger if he got his head right and wasn't injured so much.

LK37oldskool
21/04/2010, 12:40 PM
Brian's injuries are mostly in his head.

bluewhitearmy
21/04/2010, 12:45 PM
Brian's injuries are mostly in his head.

Yep. If he got a bit of confidence he would be a great keeper i think. Not long ago Derry, Bohs and Celtic were ringing him.

joeSoap
21/04/2010, 12:48 PM
Is he the lad that played for Geraldines?

Xile
21/04/2010, 2:42 PM
If you want me to I will!! I locked the thread because it had been gone so far off topic for over 40 posts, and yes, I did help drag it off topic so therefore I locked it. I also suggested the opening of this one, so there you go. And seeing as it took you one whole post to drag this one off topic I'd say it might not stay open for very long either :neutral:

Feel free to start a thread called JoeSoaps non-attendance at Limerick games if you wish.

Pat, Your Lack of moderation experiance, is obvious imo.

bluewhitearmy
21/04/2010, 2:43 PM
Is he the lad that played for Geraldines?

Yes thats him played for Wembley too.

Martinho II
21/04/2010, 7:36 PM
Is the lad McGuinness a serious challenger for his place?[/QUOTE]
tbh with mcguiness I didnt realyrate him as when he played for us near the end of the 2008 season he let in five goals on his debut in monaghan when they thrashed us! Paul Fagan was goalkeepin coach with us under Aaron Callaghan and Vinny Perths stewardship at the club..

abbeyvale
21/04/2010, 8:40 PM
Yes thats him played for Wembley too.

Also went on trials to England before he signed with LFC. Good keeper, nice lad, and would do a job if given a run of games.

bluewhitearmy
21/04/2010, 9:16 PM
Also went on trials to England before he signed with LFC. Good keeper, nice lad, and would do a job if given a run of games.

Surprisingly never actually went on trials.
Day after he signed for us got a phone call from Celtic.

joeSoap
21/04/2010, 9:22 PM
I remember reading somewhere about him that he was a t a trial in Celtic while still at school a few years ago. Could be mistaken. It could have been Ger Barron?

bluewhitearmy
21/04/2010, 9:28 PM
That was Ger he spent some time with Celtic.

bluepowers
22/04/2010, 1:05 AM
colla deserves a chance for us in net maybe the munster senior cup game or ea cup game scully should give him a chance

abbeyvale
22/04/2010, 10:20 AM
Surprisingly never actually went on trials.
Day after he signed for us got a phone call from Celtic.

Trust me, he went on a trial before he signed with LFC........ask him,

KevB76
22/04/2010, 12:09 PM
colla deserves a chance for us in net maybe the munster senior cup game or ea cup game scully should give him a chance

He's getting games in the A Championship

bluewhitearmy
22/04/2010, 12:11 PM
Trust me, he went on a trial before he signed with LFC........ask him,

He didn't im with him most days the lads on here will tell you that.

KevB76
22/04/2010, 12:15 PM

He played in most of the pre-season matches and in the MSC v Pike. He looked comfortable, I'd say he'd do a good job.
However, I still rate Davy - he was on top form this time last season, he just needs to get back to that. ..also once we have our proper back four fit and settled that will make a big difference.

abbeyvale
22/04/2010, 3:18 PM
He didn't im with him most days the lads on here will tell you that.

Ask him so pal, and get back to me

bluewhitearmy
22/04/2010, 3:54 PM
Ask him so pal, and get back to me

I'm always with him i know he hasn't.
But i asked him anyway he was meant to have a trial at Swansea when he was 15 but didn't go.
So no he was never on trials. Happy now?

joeSoap
22/04/2010, 5:52 PM
chill lads...

Where is he from? Garryowen I presume?

bluewhitearmy
22/04/2010, 8:05 PM
chill lads...

Where is he from? Garryowen I presume?

Yep sure is.

abbeyvale
22/04/2010, 8:51 PM
I'm always with him i know he hasn't.
But i asked him anyway he was meant to have a trial at Swansea when he was 15 but didn't go.
So no he was never on trials. Happy now?

He did, I should know I arranged the bloody thing for him and he stayed with my sister and brother-in-law while he was over there, say that to him and see what he says.

bluewhitearmy
22/04/2010, 10:21 PM
He did, I should know I arranged the bloody thing for him and he stayed with my sister and brother-in-law while he was over there, say that to him and see what he says.

You Alan?

Ash
23/04/2010, 8:36 AM

Nice guy but he was shocking bad for us last year.

joeSoap
23/04/2010, 9:04 AM
As they say..."Nice guys put you out of business"...

Getting two quality goalkeepers in the club at any one time seems to be a problem of late, as I'm sure it has been for other clubs. We've had some interesting goalkeepers in the past few seasons (Tommy Barrett) and some interesting centre forwards (Jimmy Fyfe). I suppose what makes a really good squad is having quality back up in the key positions, such as goalkeeper, centre half, centre midfield and striker.

Ash
23/04/2010, 9:44 AM
Yeah, we went through 5 keepers last season ... and a few more on trail/training

John McGuinness - Sound chap, poor keeper
Aaron Shanahan - Best of the bunch in my opinion and typical we got rid of him
Alex O'Reilly - Not bad but very injury prone.
Barry Andrews - Shocking. Looked more interested in holding his fringe than the ball
Scott Gaynor - Promoted from U20's due to injuries & suspensions and played well when called apon.

Had a couple more down for training during the year but they didnt make the grade ... and considering what did you can probably guess what they were like.

Getting two quality goalkeepers in the club at any one time seems to be a problem of late, as I'm sure it has been for other clubs.
Things look a lot better this season with Chris Bennion, Michael Schlingermann and Scott Gaynor.

I suppose what makes a really good squad is having quality back up in the key positions, such as goalkeeper, centre half, centre midfield and striker.

Brian McCarthy has played centre half, centre forward and in goals for us ... although the keeper was in a youth game. Cant remember the opposition but from
dodgy memory he was filling in as the regular keeper was either sick or got injured, game went to a shootout and he saved and scored a peno

bluewhitearmy
23/04/2010, 9:45 AM
As they say..."Nice guys put you out of business"...

Getting two quality goalkeepers in the club at any one time seems to be a problem of late, as I'm sure it has been for other clubs. We've had some interesting goalkeepers in the past few seasons (Tommy Barrett) and some interesting centre forwards (Jimmy Fyfe). I suppose what makes a really good squad is having quality back up in the key positions, such as goalkeeper, centre half, centre midfield and striker.

Tbf that was after 1 keeper was injures and the other sent-off.

joeSoap
23/04/2010, 9:51 AM
True.

bluewhitearmy
23/04/2010, 11:09 AM
True.

John Healy was another keeper that played up front for us i think.

joeSoap
23/04/2010, 12:34 PM
Also true.

abbeyvale
23/04/2010, 4:10 PM
You Alan?

Sure am, how did you get on, what answer did he give you?

Martinho II
23/04/2010, 6:22 PM
[QUOTE=Ash;1350340]Yeah, we went through 5 keepers last season ... and a few more on trail/training

John McGuinness - Sound chap, poor keeper
Aaron Shanahan - Best of the bunch in my opinion and typical we got rid of him
Alex O'Reilly - Not bad but very injury prone.

where is alex now ash? I am owed agents fees for recommending him to ye!!:p

BigfeetBigsocks
23/04/2010, 7:58 PM

Did ya get a good agent fee :-)

bluewhitearmy
23/04/2010, 9:06 PM
Sure am, how did you get on, what answer did he give you?

My apologies he had forgotten about it somehow. Conference south team ya?

abbeyvale
23/04/2010, 10:30 PM
My apologies he had forgotten about it somehow. Conference south team ya?

No probs pal, Ya a Conference South team the brother-in-law owns with his brother. I wouldn't blame him for forgetting, they're not up to much as a club lately.