PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for change?

Green&whitearmy
20/04/2010, 9:15 PM
I know its only a few games into the league but after the way we have been playing, what do people think??

There are a good few young lads in the team now and a few experinced lads, I dont think Eddie actually knows how to use them together. Tonight was a perfect example of this, too many young, small and inexperienced lads playing with the more experinced lads on the bench. That must have been the smallest team to play a loi game ever!!! He played our two smallest lads up front against the best and biggest defenders in the league at the moment and every ball was hoofed up the pitch, all anyone has to do is look at MNS and see whats Pats defence is like.

As someone sumed it up in the stands, you score twice and you get dropped(mark o brien), did pete mahon drop paul byrne after scoring in the last game?????

I think the blame has to start heading to the coaches and the manger at the moment, its a young team thats plays and are doing what ever their told to do, which is not working at all, the league table shows this........

Bray-Z
20/04/2010, 9:35 PM
I'd agree with some of your points, like the fact that having Mulroy and O'Neill were up front together tonight was stupid. Can't comment on O'Brien because I know nothing about him but I don't think its time to start having a go at eddie. Its a first division squad. He was given about 2 weeks to get a prem team together with the window closed.
Can only play the hand you're dealt etc.

naoise kennedy
20/04/2010, 9:53 PM
yes...

why did we play two young inexperienced lads in midfield when we had brennan and o'brien on the bench...

why did we keep hoofing the ball up to the smallest forwards in the league when we have pablo (around 6 foot) on the bench...

why is webby not starting...

these decision's are being made by eddie and the coaches, eddie said on the radio today that the lads are working hard and they are getting better.. i think they are getting worse.. nobody minds loosing if you put up a performance but we have not done this for the past two home games...

i think eddie's atitude is that if you score goals your dropped for the next game.. something has to change, the excuse of ''this is a first division team'' has too go, we do have some good experienced players but they are not giving or asked to give there best performance...

superfrank
20/04/2010, 9:57 PM
Admittedly, I haven't seen any of our games this year so I can't possibly comment on how we're playing.

However, the circumstances surrounding our season need to be taken into account. We have the smallest budget in the league. We have a squad of mostly young, inexperienced players, with only three or so older heads (Baker, Doyle and Brennan). The confusion surrounding the club in pre-season can't have helped. By the time we found out we were in the Premier, all the best players within our financial range (which seems to be down on recent years) would have been snapped up.

Eddie was probably preparing the side for a season challenging at the top of the First (at best) but, to be honest, nobody knows how this squad would do in the First. Instead, he has to prepare a side to challenge against Premier sides and to avoid relegation. They are two opposite goals. Eddie is dealing with a group of young lads who everyone is tipping to sink without a trace. At this point, we've played seven games and just have the one point to show for it. We're already five points adrift. I'd hate to have to be the one to motivate them as it can't be easy.

Imo, this season is a write-off. If we stay up, it'll be like winning the league. If we go down, noone outside the club will say "How did that happen?" and noone inside the club should be annoyed about it.

Only next season, once the young lads have more experience and Eddie knows his squad better, should we start expecting more from the side.

Also, afaik, we've actually won two games this year - it hasn't been all bad!

naoise kennedy
20/04/2010, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=superfrank;1349470]Admittedly, I haven't seen any of our games this year so I can't possibly comment on how we're playing.

However, the circumstances surrounding our season need to be taken into account. We have the smallest budget in the league. We have a squad of mostly young, inexperienced players, with only three or so older heads (Baker, Doyle and Brennan). QUOTE=superfrank;1349470]

But lets not forget about massey, shields, webby, tresson,daire doyle, mulroy,franco,dave tyrell,jake kelly.. these are all players that have the year in the premier behind them, so the inexperienced tag is not fully justified... imo

The Fox
21/04/2010, 7:36 AM
Last night was depressing - we were hammered and didnt even make a chance by quite an ordinary solid side that definitely wont win the league. Drogheda beat them last week and Drogheda have looked inferior to us in our 2 games against them.?????

The team selection was all wrong - O'Brien and Webster did well against Drogheda, yet only start on the bench. Mulroy who was poor against Sligo starts upfront ahead of Doyle and Pablo - Pablo has not had one start yet to see if he is any good. Zambra who was very quiet against sligo starts on the wing?? Eddie got it all wrong last night team wise and tactically.

Should be:
Kane, Massey, Webster, Tresson/Knight, Doyle, Baker, Shields, Brennan, O'Brien, Doyle/Pablo, O'Niell

Captain2007
21/04/2010, 8:25 AM
The St. Pat's team was an understrength one with Mulcahy,Lynch & S. Byrne rested, I agree with previous posters the honeymoon period is over for our players and its about time they stepped up to the plate, I am not one to criticise players unless they were not giving 100%, that is not the case, so you have to look elsewhere,St Pat's are a very good for a side in only their 1st season together with the addition of 4 of our players from last year, some strange decisions last night playing Richie on the left when he is most effective on his natural right wing and young kavanagh has not done it for me and I sure in time he will improve,as for the posters whom stated Paul Byrne useless ...personally I always thought he had a good technique and always carried an aerial threat and is Pete's 1st choice striker, now ask yourself why ?

Bray Head
21/04/2010, 9:21 AM
it's time for us to play our experienced players otherwise we will be on the receiving end of more hammerings this season. Kavanagh and Shields are too inexperienced to play in the centre of mid together and were completely out of the game last night. O'Brien, Doyle and Brennan must be in the starting line for Rovers match. The younger players can gain experience by coming off the bench.

BrayUnknowns
21/04/2010, 9:54 AM
I have defended the manager in the past but i think the time has come for change as it is clear Gormley does not know what he is doing at this level. He has been given plenty of time (inc. last season and the season before) to learn from he's mistakes - but he keeps making the same ones over and over.

Not many managers would be able to do anythingb with our squad but at least they would be playing our strongest team and right tactics, something Gormley does not do.

IMO the players are NOT playing for Gormley, they have lost faith in him. Not one player gave 100% last night, and for me that's when the manager needs to go.

The bad thing is, there is probably no one else out there willing to take the Bray job who would be experienced enough.

Dodge
21/04/2010, 12:23 PM
For the record lads I thought your front two were excellent for the first half an hour last night with little support. They could turn out to be great little players.

The game was lost because you couldn't defend crosses. The goals came within a 12 minute spell and your heads dropped. There was no way back

Bray-Z
21/04/2010, 1:00 PM
For the record lads I thought your front two were excellent for the first half an hour last night with little support. They could turn out to be great little players.

They are both cracking little players but you can't play them together, thats the point being made. Look at the size of your centre halfs (guthrie and kenna i think) and then look at our strikers, it was never going to work especially when most of the time we just hoofed the ball up to them.

BrayUnknowns
21/04/2010, 1:35 PM
They are both cracking little players but you can't play them together, thats the point being made. Look at the size of your centre halfs (guthrie and kenna i think) and then look at our strikers, it was never going to work especially when most of the time we just hoofed the ball up to them.

Spot on, plus they both need to seriously work on there strength, especially O'Neill. He gets pushed off the ball pretty much every time he gets it.

KK77
21/04/2010, 3:16 PM
Pat Devlin anyone?

BrayUnknowns
21/04/2010, 3:29 PM
Pat Devlin anyone?

Devo knew how to get the best out of his players, well a lot of the time anyway. Top experience and contacts in the game as well but i don't think he would come back as manager to such a stressful situation after he's heart problems over the past few years. I'd love to see him back though, he would certianly toughen the players up.

Also, does anyone know is John Ryan is back involved with the club? He is at pretty much all of our games in club gear

Dodge
21/04/2010, 5:09 PM
For the record i wasn't trying to suggest they should play together, but rather there is some hope
for you.

Your problems were all at the back

Grey Boy
21/04/2010, 7:34 PM
I don't feel that a change is essential yet, but Gormleys tactics and team selection were way off last night. I don't agree with Dodge that our front 2 were good pre Pats goals. Shane O Neill was wrapped up by their centre back all night (was it Guthrie?) and Mulroy was a willing runner again as always but running nowhere. Our midfield was annonymous and irrelevant as every ball we played was hoofed up from defence and cleared comfortably every time. Kavanagh is clearly a very talented footballer but he is a luxury midfielder who needs a couple of tough midfielders in there with him who'll put in some tough challenges. Baker has been atrocious all season, I think Gormley is starting him based on his past experience but he hasn't done it for me so far. Tresson is a legend but was caught out too many times last night and in recent weeks. At this stage he needs to be brought on as a sub to have the proper impact on a game. Shane O Connor had a great game against Dundalk but has looked a bit suspect lately. I think Daire Doyle and Dane and Kane have been pretty solid this season.

Mark O Brien clearly should have started, I haven't heard of any reason why he couldn't. Webster should have started instead of O Connor, Brennan, Pablo/Robbie should have started and why change a winning team so much anyway.

I hope Gormley gets it right though and doesn't get stubborn about or with players.

Weatherman
22/04/2010, 11:30 AM
Eddie Out! ........... Simple as that!

dublinwanderer
22/04/2010, 1:20 PM
Time for change has been coming, but the club will not do anything about until its too late...

Yes the club planned for the 1st Division this season, but that does not mean we can't have a well organised and tactically good team. We were expecting a tough year in the premier, but all the fans want to see is a committed and well organised side willing to compete. The tactics on Tuesday seemed to be kick it high up to the front 2 - which were pathetic against a 6ft6 centre half!!!

Eddie really needs to look at himself and realise the team will get hammered if they continue like this. He needs to get them organised at the back, working hard in the the middle and even harder up front!!! And that has got to start soon...

The team i would play on Friday (Tresson, Brennan, O'Neill and Baker all out):
Kane, - Doyle, Webster, Knight, Massey, - Tuohy, Shields, O'Brien, Dave O'Neill, - R Doyle, Mulroy

Knight played wel at centre half this season, I have been iumpressed anytime i have seen Tuohy...

On another note, the crowds have been shocking this year and the singing crowd has been even worse and the club has to be blamed for this. They have pushed all the young lads away and now we are really struggling. Hope the club is happy with itself!

Grasshopper 99
23/04/2010, 2:04 PM
Time for change has been coming, but the club will not do anything about until its too late...

Yes the club planned for the 1st Division this season, but that does not mean we can't have a well organised and tactically good team. We were expecting a tough year in the premier, but all the fans want to see is a committed and well organised side willing to compete. The tactics on Tuesday seemed to be kick it high up to the front 2 - which were pathetic against a 6ft6 centre half!!!

Eddie really needs to look at himself and realise the team will get hammered if they continue like this. He needs to get them organised at the back, working hard in the the middle and even harder up front!!! And that has got to start soon...

The team i would play on Friday (Tresson, Brennan, O'Neill and Baker all out):
Kane, - Doyle, Webster, Knight, Massey, - Tuohy, Shields, O'Brien, Dave O'Neill, - R Doyle, Mulroy

Knight played wel at centre half this season, I have been iumpressed anytime i have seen Tuohy...

On another note, the crowds have been shocking this year and the singing crowd has been even worse and the club has to be blamed for this. They have pushed all the young lads away and now we are really struggling. Hope the club is happy with itself!

And how many games have you been to this season to judge that a change is needed????? Were you there when we hand a win in the dogs? we played great stuff with more or less the same team as tuesday night other than Mark O Brien and could have won by far more that 2 goals. Why he was not selected i dont know, only 2 people know that eddie and Mark. Pete Mahon has always got the best out of his games with Bray no matter who was managing us.

And when you say get rid of Eddie who will you have to come in and work for more or less nothing?

John Ryan? Sacked from Kildare, Bray's forwards coach at the moment.
Pat Devlin? After a double heart bypass and a director with the club.

I wont be at tonights or mondays game (1st and 2nd miss of the season) but all i can hope for is a better proformance in both games, maybe 2 draws. Fingers crossed

Joe Strummer
24/04/2010, 11:58 PM
And how many games have you been to this season to judge that a change is needed????? Were you there when we hand a win in the dogs? we played great stuff with more or less the same team as tuesday night other than Mark O Brien and could have won by far more that 2 goals. Why he was not selected i dont know, only 2 people know that eddie and Mark. Pete Mahon has always got the best out of his games with Bray no matter who was managing us.

And when you say get rid of Eddie who will you have to come in and work for more or less nothing?

John Ryan? Sacked from Kildare, Bray's forwards coach at the moment.
Pat Devlin? After a double heart bypass and a director with the club.

I wont be at tonights or mondays game (1st and 2nd miss of the season) but all i can hope for is a better proformance in both games, maybe 2 draws. Fingers crossed

May I ask what O’Neill you are?? .