PDA

View Full Version : Bringing official representatives on board...

dahamsta
19/04/2010, 3:38 PM
We traditionally don't allow "role accounts" on Foot.ie, because of abuse in the past. Now that we have blogging and content management facilities though, I think it's time to change that, to give them a say on Foot.ie. Obviously the accounts would need to be authenticated and identified carefully, and we'd have to have some kind of Ts&Cs about how the accounts are used, but I think it could work.

So, first all, what do ye think of the idea? And secondly, how should we deal with the accounts?

Thanks,
adam

Dodge
19/04/2010, 3:53 PM
I'd be all for them. There are certain regular posters here who sometimes post official responses/news but it'd be handy for them to haev their personal opinions seperate form their club's statements.

Battery Rover
19/04/2010, 8:47 PM
I'd be all for them. There are certain regular posters here who sometimes post official responses/news but it'd be handy for them to haev their personal opinions seperate form their club's statements.

Agree with above

dahamsta
19/04/2010, 9:19 PM
Yeah, the usual way to deal with it has to be to ban role accounts but to let people post on their behalf, as long as it's made clear in the post and/or account. The problem with this approach has been that if someone leaves a club or organisation, well, what happens then?

I've been disinclined to allow role account to beat this because there's an overhead in managing it and the disadvantages outweighed the advantages, but since we now have an opportunity to give them a voice via other routes - blogs, etc - it seems like the time to go for it.

I think we need to define rules to go along with it though, which is why I'm asking. Are they allowed to post in the forums, for example? What if they're flamed out of it, since it's a different scenario to a person? What if they attack someone else?

There's huge potential for abuse, so it'd be nice to try to foresee some of it and prepare.

Anyone want to put their hand up and volunteer to be first btw?

adam

awec
19/04/2010, 9:38 PM
An official blog for each club would be great! It would make interesting reading to see what the official line on things are.

As for posting, the majority of things that they are likely to post about are probably not going to cause any reaction to make them get flamed out. Anything volatile that they are likely to discuss will probably need closely moderated for a number of reasons (quality of dicussion and potential libel for two).

Perhaps you could stagger the introduction? Firstly ask each club for a representative and give that representative a blog. Watch closely to see how it all goes, and then progress on to allowing them to post in an official capacity. Perhaps you could restrict each official account to only being able to post in the specific club forum (or preventing them from posting in other clubs forums) to keep things clean and to ensure no treading on toes.

Do clubs in the league of ireland get "official" email addresses? Perhaps you could enforce that all official club accounts use official club addresses, something that the club will have control over should their representative ever leave in future (so that they can change the person)?

Just throwing a number of thoughts out there.

dahamsta
19/04/2010, 9:55 PM
All welcome, keep 'em coming! Love to see some of the smaller clubs come on board to test the water, god knows there's plenty of them posting here already.

Battery Rover
19/04/2010, 9:59 PM
I will volunteer.

They shouldn't be allowed post in the forums other than the official attendances thread.

Let me know what info you need.

awec
19/04/2010, 10:03 PM
What do you need people to volunteer for?

dahamsta
19/04/2010, 10:19 PM
To be an official representative of a club or organisation. BT, are you that, and how do I authenticate that?

adam

awec
19/04/2010, 10:22 PM
Can you mail each club and ask them for a rep? That's what I'd do.

atfconline
19/04/2010, 10:30 PM
I and many others can vouch for BT. Also an email to info[AT]athlonetownfc[DOT]ie will get a reply from him.

Battery Rover
19/04/2010, 10:37 PM
To be an official representative of a club or organisation. BT, are you that, and how do I authenticate that?

adam

I am on the management committee of ATFC

Verification can be in a number of ways. Plenty on here know who I am but I don't think that would be a good way of doing it. It might be better emailing clubs through their official websites and asking for the secretary to confirm their media officers. In ATFC's case I am Media Officer and Secretary

DmanDmythDledge
19/04/2010, 11:27 PM
What a convenient suggestion. :D

dahamsta
19/04/2010, 11:29 PM
Actually I'm being a bit thick: Register for the site using the organisation name and an email address at the official website. Simple as. Can you do that BR? (Dunno where I got BT from!) Thanks for stepping forward btw.

Obviously there will be some cases where email addresses are used for other services - freemail services, for example - but I should be able to spot most, and in those cases I can authenticate by going to the official site. Make sense?

adam

awec
19/04/2010, 11:32 PM
Actually I'm being a bit thick: register for the site using the organisation name and an email address at the official website. Simple as. Can you do that BR? (Dunno where I got BT from!) Thanks for stepping forward btw.

Obviously there will be some cases where email addresses are used for other services - freemail services, for example - but I should be able to spot most, and in those cases I can authenticate by going to the official site. Make sense?

adam

I said that! Read up!

Teach you to read my posts in future :p

dahamsta
19/04/2010, 11:36 PM
What? You're on my ignore list awec. ;)

(Sorry, lots on today, only scanned your post.)

awec
20/04/2010, 12:28 AM
Yea yea yea.

I find all Cork people don't listen, ye talk to them and ye may as well spend five minutes talking to the wall. And then they say something I don't understand, like Gobblejob.

dahamsta
20/04/2010, 12:34 AM
I think you'll find it's jobgobble. Heh.

awec
20/04/2010, 12:38 AM
Your site says differently. Also the link to Slock gives a 404. ;)

dahamsta
20/04/2010, 12:43 AM
Dammit, I was wondering what the hell you were talking about! How embarrassing!

Well, we have our first official representive (http://foot.ie/members/15206-Athlone-Town-FC) anyway, thank you BR. I'll set up an "Official Representatives" group tomorrow and I'll give it a few extra permissions.

EDIT: Right, I've done that. Official Reps get avatars and profile pics, profile editing, blogging, groups and galleries. Go crazy!

stann
20/04/2010, 7:44 AM
Doing it by official club addresses is the way alright adam, don't think there's a single club now that doesn't have their own domain to have a media@, secretary@ or info@ address. That account then stays behind too if anyone does subsequently move on. I'll step up second so as Blues media chappie.
TBH am not quite sure how much we'll actually use it as we have our own forum for announcements and the like, but like everything else I suppose as soon as it's there it'll get used! :D
Edit: Slow this morning, just read your instruction above. I'll register officially this affo after work so.

dahamsta
20/04/2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks stann. I wouldn't expect clubs to use Foot.ie as their primary platform by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the biggest eL forum around so it has an excellent reach; it's free marketing to a captive audience at the most basic level, and it has the potential for new business, because of the Ireland, Junior and other forums.

I have no problem with press releases being copied and pasted into the blog, which I can promote to the front page as I see fit. Hopefully the basics will see the club getting more involved and creating groups, posting events in the calendar, uploading image galleries, etc. And in time perhaps we can get some exclusivity, maybe competitions exclusive to Foot.ie users, etc. I'm more than willing to tie in with this, functionally and even financially to a certain extent.

adam

dahamsta
20/04/2010, 1:05 PM
Official supporters clubs, yes, if it can be verified. Everything else will have to wait for the moment.

Mr A
27/04/2010, 4:20 PM
dahamsta- I can do this for Harps.

I can provide a finnharps.com email address if required and my name is listed on the Harps official site and facebook page as well.

dahamsta
27/04/2010, 5:51 PM
Please do! We have three so far, it's great.

Finn Harps FC
28/04/2010, 9:02 AM
Muahahahahahahahahahaha!

dahamsta
28/04/2010, 10:43 AM
Naughty. You're in the Reps group now, so you can start posting blog posts and the like. Let me know if ye need any help.

Magicme
28/04/2010, 11:53 AM
All first division clubs so far methinks?

Mr A
28/04/2010, 1:45 PM
Naughty. You're in the Reps group now, so you can start posting blog posts and the like. Let me know if ye need any help.

Cheers. I was only posting because I got a message saying I needed 5 posts in 5 days to get fully activated :)

I'm after posting a blog but made a bit of a hash of it, can you maybe delete it and I'll do it properly? Thanks!

dahamsta
28/04/2010, 2:20 PM
All first division clubs so far methinks?

Yup, here's the list (http://foot.ie/showgroups.php). Ye might want to set avatars on the accounts. Ye can do profile pics too, picture albums, etc, etc; everything a "Foot.ie Club" member can do.

Cheers. I was only posting because I got a message saying I needed 5 posts in 5 days to get fully activated :)

My mistake, forgot to auth it.

I'm after posting a blog but made a bit of a hash of it, can you maybe delete it and I'll do it properly? Thanks!

I fixed it up, that ok?

Mr A
28/04/2010, 3:37 PM
Perfecto! Thanks for that dahamsta.

Will fix up the profile a bit as well.

Waterford United FC
29/04/2010, 6:45 PM
Avatar sorted anyway. Now, to find something to post...