PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Reality: We are headed to the WC

Crosby87
17/04/2010, 8:55 PM
Every time I go to Barnes and Noble I see a stack of magazines in the sports section touting World Cup Previews. Even ESPN is in on the act. Needless to say, I cringe. In fact I picked it up to strum through the other day and I had to put it down.
BUT it got me thinking, what would we be talking/ arguing about had we gotten in?
What shape overall would we look like we would have been in and would we be "just happy to be going" or "hoping to do some real damage?"
Here's what I think:

Injuries. Seem like a lot of players have or have had significant injury troubles. I would have been worried.

Keane at Celtic: For every goal he scores there would have been 20 posts about how good his form is and 20 about how it doesn't matter b/c the SPL stinks.

Jimmy Mac/Stokes: Would James McCarthy and AS have made the squad?

Overall form: No Irish Players really seem to be lighting it up these last few months.

SA as a whole. Would anyone have not went purely based on safety concerns or concerns about getting to or from venues?

Irish fans jumping on the bandwagon: Not a concern for me but seems to be a heated topic in the rare occasion that the team is succesful.

I know some people will not want to humor me but I am bored and wish to imagine briefly what we would be discussing had we made it. Overall would people at this point be optimistic :rainbow: or pessimistic? :bomb:

tetsujin1979
17/04/2010, 11:45 PM
Every time I go to Barnes and Noble I see a stack of magazines in the sports section touting World Cup Previews. Even ESPN is in on the act. Needless to say, I cringe. In fact I picked it up to strum through the other day and I had to put it down.
BUT it got me thinking, what would we be talking/ arguing about had we gotten in?Yeah, I know what you mean. Between the countdowns on BBC and Sky Sports News, I'm pretty sure I can go on at least one murderous rampage, and use them as a solid defence

What shape overall would we look like we would have been in and would we be "just happy to be going" or "hoping to do some real damage?"
Here's what I think:

Injuries. Seem like a lot of players have or have had significant injury troubles. I would have been worried.
Not really, the core of the selections that Trapattoni has made are all fit and available
Given, Kelly/Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea (just), Kilbane, McGeady, Andrews, Whelan, Duff, Doyle and Keane all fit and playing right now

Keane at Celtic: For every goal he scores there would have been 20 posts about how good his form is and 20 about how it doesn't matter b/c the SPL stinks.Would you rather him in form and scoring at Celtic or warming the bench at Spurs?

Jimmy Mac/Stokes: Would James McCarthy and AS have made the squad?McCarthy got his chance against Brazil, it's arguable that he wouldn't have if it was a warm up game for the World Cup, instead of a friendly. I reckon Stokes would be in the squad, Trapattoni has picked him previously, despite lack of form, or appearances, at club level. Might have been due to Brady's influence though.

Overall form: No Irish Players really seem to be lighting it up these last few months.Duff and Kelly in the Europa League semi finals? Wilson and Finnan in the FA Cup final? O'Shea and Gibson back in the United team, Given challenging for fourth spot. Not lighting it up, but still hard to knock.

SA as a whole. Would anyone have not went purely based on safety concerns or concerns about getting to or from venues?Ummm, get back to me on that one

Irish fans jumping on the bandwagon: Not a concern for me but seems to be a heated topic in the rare occasion that the team is succesful.Every successful team has its fair share of bandwagoners. "Where were you when we were sh!t" and so on. I think that, due to the cost and safety concerns, there would be far more of the hardcore support in South Africa, than the fair weather fans. If we had qualified for Euro 2008, it would have been a different story because the venues were far more easily accessible from Ireland.

I know some people will not want to humor me but I am bored and wish to imagine briefly what we would be discussing had we made it. Overall would people at this point be optimistic :rainbow: or pessimistic? :bomb:going on previous performances in the World Cup, and the form the team were showing towards the end of the qualifying campaign, I definitely would have fancied us to get out of the group. After that, who knows?

theworm2345
17/04/2010, 11:54 PM

Me too, I'd like to think I have moved on for the most part, but every time I see a World Cup promo or him I am filled with a deep-seated feeling of anger. Threads like this don't help that anger either ;)

Crosby87
18/04/2010, 1:14 AM
Sorry Worm. I didnt mean for it to be that way....was just thinking, maybe too much. I actually thought i would have lots of responses haha. Nothing like an ego check, i'll tell ya.

Tets, great response I appreciate it, you know your stuff man. Thanks for not leaving me out to dry, I will not forget it. Heehe. But seriously, awesome response that will go unread which i disdain.

I am over it in a way and thought this would be a good topic in the middle of months of boring and at times, garbage topics.
If i could drudge up some person living in a dumpster who in 1993 kicked a ball for Ireland (but is English) in an airport i would, but i can't.

So... US and England...hmmm....maybe they can stun em.

theworm2345
18/04/2010, 2:39 AM
Sorry Worm. I didnt mean for it to be that way....was just thinking, maybe too much. I actually thought i would have lots of responses haha. Nothing like an ego check, i'll tell ya.
Ah what can you do, the only way to avoid it this summer would be to crawl under a rock.

So... US and England...hmmm....maybe they can stun em.
Oh jesus :rolleyes: I won't be watching but I hope those *******s lose every game (including to England) by 5 goals. If you think you need an ego check you should try being around some of the douchebags who "support" the US national soccer team.

ArdeeBhoy
18/04/2010, 11:35 AM
Who knows & who cares?
Except for Bl*tter to be forced into retirement....