PDA

View Full Version : Irish Under 23 Choices

Pages : [1] 2 3

Iorfa2MaccaJim
16/04/2010, 4:25 PM
With Paul Doolins first game as Irish Under 23 coach coming in mid May in Waterford. Waht team do people think he'll pick for the game against England at the R.S.C. ?

GuisaSaigon
17/04/2010, 1:36 PM
Seamie Conneely,Paul Sinnott and Karl Sheppard from Galway United should all be included.

Schumi
17/04/2010, 3:15 PM
Doolin was in Belfield for the Galway game I think though he wouldn't be picking many from either side based on that game!

gufcfan
17/04/2010, 5:13 PM
Hands off our lads! They have enough games to play as it is. Seamie still plays for NUIG as well.

Sam_Heggy
17/04/2010, 5:24 PM
At Harps we would have 3 contenders in Packie Mailey, Stephen McLaughlin and Ciaran Gallagher.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
17/04/2010, 6:00 PM
What's the story with the international set up lads ? Can a player who is 23, play for the Under 23's, or are they
allowed a certain amount of overage players ?

Dillonman
17/04/2010, 6:09 PM
Shaun Kelly and Ross Gaynor should get a chance.

CSFShels
17/04/2010, 8:40 PM
David McAllister.

danthesaint
17/04/2010, 9:02 PM
David McAllister.

yep would like to see him in the team, he has settled into the pats team well,

bermo, vinny faherty and coughlan would do well i reckon

The Lep
17/04/2010, 9:41 PM
Eleven Ronan Finn's :)

PartySaint
17/04/2010, 11:08 PM
I was sitting beside Doolin in Tolka the other night, he wasnt really impressed with any of the players on show, he got a phonecall from someone who was at the Fingal Dundalk game and he didnt say nice things about Shaun Kelly

cob655
17/04/2010, 11:12 PM
Shaun Kelly and Ross Gaynor should get a chance.

Have to agree,shaun had some season with us last year and solid stuff this season,one of our best players both seasons.
also gaynor is doing great stuff and should get a chance!

cestlavie
17/04/2010, 11:21 PM
Harps have Packie Mailey, Liam Mailey, James Doherty, Johnny Lafferty and Stephen McLaughlin who are all contenders.

TheBoss
17/04/2010, 11:35 PM
What's the story with the international set up lads ? Can a player who is 23, play for the Under 23's, or are they
allowed a certain amount of overage players ?

Players that are born after 01/01/1986 are eligible to play in it.

**FrOsTy**
18/04/2010, 5:41 AM
Because the game is in Waterford I rekon Doolin will have a token Blues player in the squad. Gareth Cambridge, Willy John Kiely, David Grincell, Timmy Purcell, James O Sullivan, Kevin Burns, Gary Dunphy are all eligible to play in it.

Dodge
18/04/2010, 8:00 AM
Harps have Packie Mailey, Liam Mailey, James Doherty, Johnny Lafferty and Stephen McLaughlin who are all contenders.

Never seen any of them so I@m not commenting on them as players but I@d be amazed if Doolin picks anyone from Harps.

Sam_Heggy
18/04/2010, 8:22 AM

James Doc and Liam Mailey are over-age.

Johnny Lafferty is Norn Iron.

Dillonman
18/04/2010, 8:43 AM
I was sitting beside Doolin in Tolka the other night, he wasnt really impressed with any of the players on show, he got a phonecall from someone who was at the Fingal Dundalk game and he didnt say nice things about Shaun Kelly

Duno what game that person was watching as he was our only defender that performed well the other night and he was taken off as Foster went with 3 at the back for the last 15 minutes, the 3 being natural central defenders in Burns, Breen and Hatswell.

PartySaint
18/04/2010, 7:27 PM
Duno what game that person was watching as he was our only defender that performed well the other night and he was taken off as Foster went with 3 at the back for the last 15 minutes, the 3 being natural central defenders in Burns, Breen and Hatswell.

Obviously i couldnt hear what they guy on the other end of the phone was saying but it went like this

Doolin:How is your man Kelly playing
Other Guy: ????????
Doolin: Yeah he is a bit lightweight tho
Other Guy: ???????
Doolin: Yeah he is a bit crap

LeixlipRed
18/04/2010, 7:37 PM
Fantastic professional Doolin it seems.

Dillonman
18/04/2010, 8:08 PM
Obviously i couldnt hear what they guy on the other end of the phone was saying but it went like this

Doolin:How is your man Kelly playing
Other Guy: ????????
Doolin: Yeah he is a bit lightweight tho
Other Guy: ???????
Doolin: Yeah he is a bit crap

Like I said apart from Cherrie and JJ he was our best player and has been most consistent so far this season.

Acornvilla
18/04/2010, 8:28 PM
Like I said apart from Cherrie and JJ he was our best player and has been most consistent so far this season.

ye must be crap so :shout::cool2: (joke)

DeNiro
18/04/2010, 8:44 PM
Would expect to see the following:

James Chambers
Ciaran Kilduff
Ian Bermingham
Dave McAllister
Conor Powell
Ronan Finn
Conan Byrne
Paddy Madden
Garry Breen
Seamus Conneely

Any other suggestions? Will First Division players be in the mix? Don't think they got in the last time.

Dillonman
18/04/2010, 9:27 PM

James Chambers
Ciaran Kilduff
Ian Bermingham
Dave McAllister
Conor Powell
Ronan Finn
Conan Byrne
Paddy Madden
Garry Breen
Seamus Conneely

Any other suggestions? Will First Division players be in the mix? Don't think they got in the last time.

It opens up the debate, will Northern players play for the Irish under 23 side or do the Northern league have a side?

Dillonman
18/04/2010, 9:28 PM
ye must be crap so :shout::cool2: (joke)

I dont think you can pass a comment like that at this present time! :P

PartySaint
18/04/2010, 9:28 PM
Vinny Faherty and Gareth Coughlan

Iorfa2MaccaJim
18/04/2010, 9:45 PM
Because the game is in Waterford I rekon Doolin will have a token Blues player in the squad. Gareth Cambridge, Willy John Kiely, David Grincell, Timmy Purcell, James O Sullivan, Kevin Burns, Gary Dunphy are all eligible to play in it.

It would be fantastic to see any of the lads in the squad.

Longfordian
18/04/2010, 10:32 PM

This is Paul Doolin we're talking about possibly the most negative whinging son of a gun in the entire LOI. It shouldn't surprise you that he's giving out about something or someone. It's lucky that this competition doesn't actually mean anything as he'd be the last man I'd put in charge of a squad that's about development of younger players.

Mr Maroon
18/04/2010, 10:47 PM

James Chambers
Ciaran Kilduff
Ian Bermingham
Dave McAllister
Conor Powell
Ronan Finn
Conan Byrne
Paddy Madden
Garry Breen
Seamus Conneely

Karl Sheppard will surely get a call up.

DeNiro
19/04/2010, 8:44 AM
It would be fantastic to see any of the lads in the squad.

Do you really think Timmy Purcell, presumably in the role of striker, is even up to U23 standard?

total hoofball
19/04/2010, 12:14 PM
If its a 22 man squad I would go with a squad like this

Darren Quigley
Robert Duggan

Seamus Conneely
Conor Powell
Ian Bermingham
Kenny Browne
Shaun Kelly
Garry Breen
Evan McMillan

Stephen O'Donnell
James Chambers
Ronan Finn
David McAllister
Shaun Williams
Eoin Doyle
Ross Gaynor
Gary McCabe

Paddy Madden
Karl Sheppard
Vinny Faherty
Billy Dennehy
Padraig Amond

Dodge
19/04/2010, 12:41 PM

Darren Quigley

Why did you pick him and not the younger keeper currently keeping him out of the Fingal team? (Brendan Clarke)

micls
19/04/2010, 12:50 PM
Shane Duggan for us. Cracker of a player and a step above first division. Can't really think of anyone else.

Mr A
19/04/2010, 12:55 PM
Never seen any of them so I@m not commenting on them as players but I@d be amazed if Doolin picks anyone from Harps.

Agreed. I doubt whether Doolin knows anything about any of them in any case, and even if he did I can't see him picking anyone from a mid table D1 team.

pineapple stu
19/04/2010, 12:55 PM
Would nominate Pete McMahon and Paul Corry as our two most likely contenders. Andy Boyle and CiarĂ¡n Nangle have started the season very well too.

DeNiro
19/04/2010, 2:15 PM

Darren Quigley
Robert Duggan

Seamus Conneely
Conor Powell
Ian Bermingham
Kenny Browne
Shaun Kelly
Garry Breen
Evan McMillan

Stephen O'Donnell
James Chambers
Ronan Finn
David McAllister
Shaun Williams
Eoin Doyle
Ross Gaynor
Gary McCabe

Paddy Madden
Karl Sheppard
Vinny Faherty
Billy Dennehy
Padraig Amond

Not a bad shout at all. I would doubt Evan McMillan would make it, he's not been playing very well when I've seen him. Is Shane McFaul eligible? He's looked good recently.

**FrOsTy**
19/04/2010, 2:47 PM
Aaron Greene? He's only 19 isin't he?

Ciaran W
19/04/2010, 3:13 PM
Don cowan

gufc2000
19/04/2010, 3:36 PM

Darren Quigley

You obviously didn't see him in Terryland a week ago, because he was absolute muck. He flapped at all the crosses, and had his kicks charged down on 1 or 2 occasions

Dodge
19/04/2010, 3:51 PM
Don cowan

Worst example of hometown choice on here. Your manager would rther playa clearly unfit and unmotivated Graham barrett on his own up front than play Cowan. There's a reason for that

DeNiro
19/04/2010, 4:02 PM
Does anyone know when squad is being announced?

Lamper.sffc
19/04/2010, 5:02 PM
Why did you pick him and not the younger keeper currently keeping him out of the Fingal team? (Brendan Clarke)

Brendan Clarke is the better keeper alright. Has an ankle problem at the moment and Quigley has played pretty poorly in his absence. Quigley is a great shot stopper but his handling has been pretty poor ever since he practically threw the ball into the net when we where playing shels last year. Loss of confidence since then. Clarkes handling and kicking has been much better and over all looks the more calm and assured keeper.

Lamper.sffc
19/04/2010, 5:08 PM
Not a bad shout at all. I would doubt Evan McMillan would make it, he's not been playing very well when I've seen him. Is Shane McFaul eligible? He's looked good recently.

As far as I know he is still young enough. should definitely be in the squad imo.

danthesaint
19/04/2010, 5:10 PM
Brendan Clarke is the better keeper alright. Has an ankle problem at the moment and Quigley has played pretty poorly in his absence. Quigley is a great shot stopper but his handling has been pretty poor ever since he practically threw the ball into the net when we where playing shels last year. Loss of confidence since then. Clarkes handling and kicking has been much better and over all looks the more calm and assured keeper.

is clarkie not 24 or 25 now??

Predator
19/04/2010, 5:11 PM
I'd say a few Derry players, but some of our best performers have been our youngsters (whole team! :p), like Shane and Patrick McEleney who are both in the U19 squad and James McClean (appears to be a NI U21). RuairĂ­ Harkin could be a good shout. Think he's 20. He got a few U19 caps when he was at Charlton.

Lamper.sffc
19/04/2010, 5:13 PM
is clarkie not 24 or 25 now??

Yeah your right just checked it. Born 85. I thought he was a bit younger.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
19/04/2010, 5:59 PM
Do you really think Timmy Purcell, presumably in the role of striker, is even up to U23 standard?

We're playing him on the right wing, and he's put in some excellent performances so far this season. So I'd love
to see him get a call up.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
19/04/2010, 6:29 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention this in the previous post.

A question for Fingal fans, how has Kenny Browne played for ye so far this season ?

Lamper.sffc
19/04/2010, 9:02 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention this in the previous post.

A question for Fingal fans, how has Kenny Browne played for ye so far this season ?

Great. Wins everthing in the air and very little gets past him. Our best defender so far this season.

Mr Maroon
19/04/2010, 9:39 PM
Stephen O'Donnell

He's 24.