PDA

View Full Version : RDS - Block Bookers Question

Sproston Green
16/04/2010, 10:13 AM
Anyone know if the usual compulsory purchase of tickets applies to the RDS friendlies for Blockbookers?

I'm UK based and for the first time I can't make the matches - but not like yesterday when I couldn't get to Kerry due to Volcano..that's another story

I know there is a ticket exchange but don't want to buy tickets if not required. I'm not sure how many BB's there are, but think the capacity is 18,000 at RDS?

Obviously will check with ticket centre, but was interested in your views

Thanks

pineapple stu
16/04/2010, 10:20 AM
There's more than 18000 block bookers, so I can't see how the usual rules can apply for this one.

cullenswood
16/04/2010, 10:40 AM
How have they decided which block bookers get them for this game?

gspain
16/04/2010, 10:52 AM
You do need to buy them. I have been invoiced. I know others have being given a booking form as opposed to an invoice.

I understand that clubs and leagues may not need to buy theirs.

This is clearly an attempt to recover block bookings in advance of the move to the Aviva.

Even assuming the clubs and leagues don't have to buy theirs Obviously anyone can do the maths and see they cannot deliver on tickets for all the block bookers - lets say 25,000 leaving out clubs and leagues. There are only approx 16,000 saleable seats in the RDS. The clubs and leagues will still want some tickets as well.

My guess is some will withdraw. At that stage the FAI will still have sold too many tickets but most likely if offered the chance to hand tickets back and still keep your bbing many will.

Personally it makes no difference as I'll be going anyway. I do know people who have block bookings and weren't planning on going.

pineapple stu
16/04/2010, 10:55 AM
I'd imagine the block booking just won't apply at all; it'll be open ticket like the game in Thomond.

Edit - I'd go with gspain's post over mine!

Schumi
16/04/2010, 10:56 AM
I just rang the FAI there. They said that all block bookers have been sent invoices and that they've not sent anything to people on the waiting list and cut back "in other areas". I assume that means corporates, clubs, etc. aren't getting tickets. It still seems like there should be more than 18,000 left.

gspain
16/04/2010, 11:44 AM
I just rang the FAI there. They said that all block bookers have been sent invoices and that they've not sent anything to people on the waiting list and cut back "in other areas". I assume that means corporates, clubs, etc. aren't getting tickets. It still seems like there should be more than 18,000 left.

Yes just had something similiar confirmed to me. They do have tickets to cover all invoices. Freebies, corporate tickets, etc will be cutback considerably for these games.

I believe this will lead to churn on the block booking list.

cullenswood
16/04/2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah I was also talking to them there, and they say all block bookers have been accomodated and mentioned something about 8500 on the scheme. That doesn't seem correct.

These ticket do as said above count as part of the block booking contract so if you don't buy you are off the list.

gspain
16/04/2010, 1:20 PM
Yeah I was also talking to them there, and they say all block bookers have been accomodated and mentioned something about 8500 on the scheme. That doesn't seem correct.

These ticket do as said above count as part of the block booking contract so if you don't buy you are off the list.

Effectively there are 2 tiers of block bookers. The clubs, leagues, council members, schoolboys etc who do have to buy tickets for all games (not in this case) but can occasionally hand them back. I've heard anecdotal evidence to support this from people I know who have their block bookings through a council member and a club. Then there are the joepublic bbers who are individuals like me and others on here who have bbings in their own names. We are the ones being offered these tickets. Of course the FAI are well within their rights to do it but it is a bit sneaky.

The 8,500 figure could be right if it means the different individuals who have say an average of 2-3 tickets each.

jbyrne
16/04/2010, 1:47 PM
on a semi related issue. the RDS pitch is a mess at the moment. totally unsuitable for football

pineapple stu
16/04/2010, 1:49 PM
Sure there's five weeks till the games, so that's not an issue as yet.

Leinster have at least three more games between now and the game.

Sproston Green
16/04/2010, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. Here is the official line:-

Your ticket allocation must be taken up for these fixtures in order to maintain your ticket allocation. We’ve been able to confirm allocations for all Blockbookers within the RDS, based on their allocations for Aviva Stadium.

As per the terms of the blockbooking scheme in order to secure your ticket allocation for future fixtures, tickets must be taken up for all Senior Home International fixtures.

Regards,

Ticket Office

ltfc_2004
19/04/2010, 2:43 PM
To be honest I had forgotten about these games, Its slightly unfair to rural supporters since the Limerick games didn't count for the block blocking but these games do. I will be go to one of them anyway but end of season international friendly hardly sets the pulse racing. Just found the letter on my desk today.

elroy
19/04/2010, 8:40 PM
Am on the WL but go to pretty much all the games, have emailed the fai to keep me on the request list as always better to get tickets direct from them where possible. What are the chances of the BBers not taking up the full allocation?? Probably slim if they use their allocation unless they purchase these.

BradyIsMyHero
27/04/2010, 2:25 PM
I know that this site (quite rightly) prohibits all ticket-touting, but here's a dilemma:

i'm a block-booker who wants to keep my allocation, but - due to holidays - do not want to take up my blockbooking allocation for these two fixtures.

Is there any form of ticket-exchange or pool where this could be resolved i.e where genuine fans who are not blockbookers could get these tickets?

cullenswood
27/04/2010, 2:27 PM
I know that this site (quite rightly) prohibits all ticket-touting, but here's a dilemma:

i'm a block-booker who wants to keep my allocation, but - due to holidays - do not want to take up my blockbooking allocation for these two fixtures.

Is there any form of ticket-exchange or pool where this could be resolved i.e where genuine fans who are not blockbookers could get these tickets?

On Here (http://foot.ie/threads/134046-Algeria-and-Paraguay-ticket-exchange)

Dee1975
28/04/2010, 7:56 AM
I nearly fell off my chair when I got this letter. I forgot about the games and did not think they'd be part of the BB scheme. I'm away on hols and have put my tickets up on the ticket exchnage thread for anyone that is interested. Poor on behalf of the FAI that these games are part of the BB scheme without any prior acknowledgement. Last hurdle before Aviva tickets!!

4tothefloor
07/05/2010, 9:57 AM
Lads I checked my account there today and money hasn't been taken from my account for these fixtures yet, which is strange from the FAI. I paid the invoice on 22nd April. Is anyone else in the same boat? Tried ringing the ticket office but keep getting an answering machine.

EDIT: Got through to the TO, they haven't processed the payments yet, doing it next week.

SuperDave
12/05/2010, 3:16 PM
Lads I checked my account there today and money hasn't been taken from my account for these fixtures yet, which is strange from the FAI. I paid the invoice on 22nd April. Is anyone else in the same boat? Tried ringing the ticket office but keep getting an answering machine.

EDIT: Got through to the TO, they haven't processed the payments yet, doing it next week.

Yeah, money has gone from my account. Went on Wednesday of last week I think.

On another note, if you are a member of the public and purchase tickets for this game, you are guaranteed tickets for the Manchester United v Airtricity League XI game on August 4th that was announced today. I'd have preferred a guarantee that I'd get Argentina tickets (I'm only a waiting lister), but so be it. That said, the Manchester United game can't be on the Block Booking scheme whereas obviously the Argentina one will.

EastTerracer
12/05/2010, 9:26 PM
Yeah, money has gone from my account. Went on Wednesday of last week I think.

On another note, if you are a member of the public and purchase tickets for this game, you are guaranteed tickets for the Manchester United v Airtricity League XI game on August 4th that was announced today. I'd have preferred a guarantee that I'd get Argentina tickets (I'm only a waiting lister), but so be it. That said, the Manchester United game can't be on the Block Booking scheme whereas obviously the Argentina one will.

I really do think it is a terrible decision to have Manchester United playing the first football match in the new national football stadium. I'd much preferred to have seen the Argentina game as the opening attraction or alternatively for the LoI XI to play against an Irish international team.

eaststand85
13/05/2010, 7:34 AM
I really do think it is a terrible decision to have Manchester United playing the first football match in the new national football stadium. I'd much preferred to have seen the Argentina game as the opening attraction or alternatively for the LoI XI to play against an Irish international team.

Completely agree but unfortunately it would appear the FAI have gotten themselves in so much debt over the new stadium (and the balls up they've made with the Vantage Club) that they're basically going to have to prostitute themselves and the stadium at every available opportunity to try and make a few quid.... :(

elroy
13/05/2010, 10:12 PM
Missed opportunity to perhaps have two LOI games on the one day. Even with just high curiousty levels of the general public around the stadium, wouldve got a crowd in the region of 30k+ imo which would have been great exposure for the league.

Alternatively we have a meaningless game against what will likely be the Man U reserves.

Claret Murph
14/05/2010, 6:38 AM
I am not going to this game , simple as that ...........................

Junior
15/05/2010, 11:03 PM
Missed opportunity to perhaps have two LOI games on the one day. Even with just high curiousty levels of the general public around the stadium, wouldve got a crowd in the region of 30k+ imo which would have been great exposure for the league.

Alternatively we have a meaningless game against what will likely be the Man U reserves.

That would have been a great shout. Disounted/Free Tickets to schools and clubs around the country to bumper the crowd might have gone a long way to helping support the league in the future.

jbyrne
17/05/2010, 8:03 AM

a similar enough situation was when the rds was used for the first time for rovers v st pats. was easily the worst game i was ever at with not one shot on goal. id say it turned most of the 20k plus crowd that was there that day against LOI games for life i'm afraid. a decent crowd turning up to watch can do as much harm as good unless the teams involved actually show some desire to play football

elroy
17/05/2010, 9:33 AM
Fair point, but my view would be that many of those people wont go to a LOI game on a regular basis anyways, so the worst that could happen would be a poor game and an unchanged attitude. However, if one of the games was a good open game, the perception could only be improved.

jbyrne
05/07/2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. Here is the official line:-

Your ticket allocation must be taken up for these fixtures in order to maintain your ticket allocation. We’ve been able to confirm allocations for all Blockbookers within the RDS, based on their allocations for Aviva Stadium.

As per the terms of the blockbooking scheme in order to secure your ticket allocation for future fixtures, tickets must be taken up for all Senior Home International fixtures.

Regards,

Ticket Office

appears they didnt follow through on this threat. it appears aviva BB tickets were secure pre the may friendlies