PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Style

Pages : [1] 2

tetsujin1979
04/02/2010, 10:59 AM
MOD EDIT: A mobile style is available at m.foot.ie (http://m.foot.ie/).

cant login to the site with my mobile any more either
I'm using Opera Mini, but never had any problems before the upgrade

tetsujin1979
04/03/2010, 3:43 PM
cant login to the site with my mobile any more either
I'm using Opera Mini, but never had any problems before the upgrade
new style has sorted this out, I can log in from my phone now again

tetsujin1979
04/03/2010, 10:01 PM
What about a proper mobile skin? It was mentioned a few times before the upgrade?

DmanDmythDledge
04/03/2010, 10:22 PM
Or an app. :D

dahamsta
04/03/2010, 10:54 PM
I'll get to a mobile skin after the main one is installed, but it should be better already. There'll be no app.

@Dunny, vintage?

red bellied
09/03/2010, 10:56 AM
Not sure if foot.ie is powered by vbulletin or phpbb boards but if it is there is an app called tapatalk that willl convert to mobile version. Forum owner just has to contact to download plugin to activate.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

dahamsta
24/03/2010, 1:50 AM
What about a proper mobile skin? It was mentioned a few times before the upgrade?

I've added a mobile skin, which you can access from the URL at the bottom of this post. If you accidentally click it on a computer, click Back and then the first URL to reload the Foot.ie skin. There's an Options addon for this skin, and another plugin that does auto-detection of mobile devices, but let me know how ye get on with this first

This is the Foot.ie skin:
http://foot.ie/forum.php?styleid=13

This is the Mobile skin:
http://foot.ie/forum.php?styleid=16

adam

holidaysong
31/03/2010, 12:50 AM
Cheers for the mobile skin. It's working great on my phone.

holidaysong
03/04/2010, 1:05 PM
A couple of little problems with the mobile skin:

You can't get to the foot.ie/forum page without typing it in manually. The 'Forum' link actually brings you to foot.ie/index instead of foot.ie/forum.

Also, sections that have new posts in them are highlighted in bold ok on the foot.ie/forum page but when you click into the section the threads with new posts since your last visit aren't highlighted in bold so you don't know which threads have been added to since your last visit.

tetsujin1979
03/04/2010, 3:26 PM
A couple of little problems with the mobile skin:

You can't get to the foot.ie/forum page without typing it in manually. The 'Forum' link actually brings you to foot.ie/index instead of foot.ie/forum.

Also, sections that have new posts in them are highlighted in bold ok on the foot.ie/forum page but when you click into the section the threads with new posts since your last visit aren't highlighted in bold so you don't know which threads have been added to since your last visit.
I've no real problems with the mobile skin, apart from the lack of unread marks for posts
I really like that I can view the skin on my phone, and when I log in on my computer it uses the standard skin

dahamsta
16/04/2010, 1:05 AM
Moving this discussion to a dedicated thread.

I've installed the Mobile Options plugin and used that to tweak the mobile skin a little, in particular linking to the forums rather than the homepage at the top, and linking to the default style at the bottom of the page. Let me know if ye have any problems or feedback. I'll get this skinned a little better in time.

dahamsta
04/06/2010, 9:12 AM
Just added m.foot.ie (http://m.foot.ie/) for a quick redirect to the mobile skin.

leather
30/11/2010, 3:28 PM
is there a foot.ie iphone app??

dahamsta
30/11/2010, 4:30 PM
See post 12 above.

Dodge
30/11/2010, 5:16 PM
meant to post. Mobile version hasn't worked properly since last upgrade. Somethings (like thread stars) look huge

dahamsta
30/11/2010, 5:35 PM
Fixed it yesterday, should be ok now?

OneRedArmy
02/12/2010, 12:34 PM
Fixed it yesterday, should be ok now?Now working ok.

Ta.

dahamsta
02/12/2010, 1:14 PM
No worries. It's slightly different, so if anything needs to be changed, let me know.

Dodge
03/12/2010, 6:22 PM
Nah, much better layout. All the basics, fair play

dahamsta
06/12/2010, 10:58 PM
I've installed a script now that should detect the vast majority of mobiles and redirect automatically to m.foot.ie. If this creates problems for anyone, let me know.

Magicme
07/12/2010, 8:31 PM
Is there a way of switching back to normal mode on mobile coz I don't really like the mobile version.

dahamsta
07/12/2010, 9:00 PM
Nope. Leave it with me, I'll install another Foot.ie theme without the detection script.

What don't you like about the mobile version?

Magicme
07/12/2010, 9:40 PM
Was scared of that question! Naw its just the way you can't see in the front page which of the sub threads has the update or who has posted last message. It's laziness I suppose coz sometimes don't have a lot of time.

dahamsta
07/12/2010, 9:44 PM
Fair enough. I've installed a different detection script now, see how you get on with that. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Magicme
07/12/2010, 10:58 PM
Magicme....the guinea pig.

Still coming up as mobile for me.

thischarmingman
08/12/2010, 8:19 AM
I like the fact there is a mobile version but there are several little things that annoy me, the issue Magicme noted above, and the fact you can't thank posts for instance.

That said, I imagine it's very difficult to reduce the entire forum to one mobile-sized screen- no matter how many changes are made it will always miss something from the desktop site.

dahamsta
08/12/2010, 10:07 AM
Still coming up as mobile for me.

Click Desktop View at the top of the page.

That said, I imagine it's very difficult to reduce the entire forum to one mobile-sized screen- no matter how many changes are made it will always miss something from the desktop site.

Absolutely, and you'll always have people that want another feature. Mobile view is lightweight view, so it'll always have basic functionality.

Magicme
08/12/2010, 10:45 AM
Had tried the desktop button before and it didn't work so didn't think of it again, thanks. It's good to have options!

dahamsta
08/12/2010, 6:28 PM
It should reset for every session, i.e. the first time you hit the site after opening your browser you'll be redirected to the mobile style, but if you manually choose the desktop style, it'll stick with that until you close your browser.

Magicme
08/12/2010, 8:27 PM
It brought me automatically to desktop version.

Dodge
08/12/2010, 10:42 PM
M.foot.ie brought me to desktop on my iPod

Switched using the theme selecter bar thingy

dahamsta
08/12/2010, 11:14 PM
Reinstalled the mobile style, has a different ID, I'll fix it in the morning. Thanks for letting me know.

Dodge
15/12/2010, 10:37 AM
M.foot.ie brought me to desktop on my iPod

Switched using the theme selecter bar thingy

Still the same (for iphone too)

holidaysong
17/12/2010, 11:33 PM
Cheers for the new mobile skin. Little things like bringing you to the first unread post in a thread makes it so much more user friendly than the last one.

dahamsta
18/12/2010, 11:08 AM
No worries, thanks for the feedback.

Dodge, can you try clearing your cache? The skin actually has a setting for crapple stuff, and it's definitely enabled.

dahamsta
22/12/2010, 11:05 AM
Ah, I see the problem; Dodge, can you check m.foot.ie (http://m.foot.ie/) again please?

Dodge
22/12/2010, 11:18 AM
Straight into mobile style.

dahamsta
22/12/2010, 12:20 PM
Coolal boolah, thanks.

Longfordian
25/02/2011, 11:14 AM
The new mobile style looks good but is there or could you enable any way of going directly to the last post? I know it's not a big deal having to click to the last page but the previous mobile style was handier in that regard.

dahamsta
25/02/2011, 11:23 AM
Meant to post about this, the new style is bundled with vBulletin and there are certainly a few problems with it, for example it also doesn't have subbed threads available, which is a particular annoyance to me. I'm going to file bug requests for that and your suggestion above, and if they don't fix them by the next release, I'll likely switch back to the other style until they fix it, ok?

Longfordian
25/02/2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, no worries DH cheers.

tetsujin1979
25/02/2011, 7:34 PM
I use Opera Mini on my phone instead of the default browser, and it really doesn't like the new mobile style at all.

dahamsta
25/02/2011, 10:16 PM
Noted tets, thanks.

Dodge
27/02/2011, 10:42 PM
Hate this new one. Biggest problem is the lack of 'search for new posts' but I can't see one advantage it has over previous one

dahamsta
27/02/2011, 11:02 PM
They're completely different, this is the official one and they're primary target seems to have been touchscreens via jQuery UI mobile. It's their 1st version, they'll catch up pretty quickly.

I'll look into loading the other one in as a manual option. Only one of them can be automatic.

dahamsta
27/02/2011, 11:02 PM
They're completely different, this is the official one and they're primary target seems to have been touchscreens via jQuery UI mobile. It's their 1st version, they'll catch up pretty quickly.

I'll look into loading the other one in as a manual option. Only one of them can be automatic.

Dodge
27/02/2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I read that above. Wasn't having a pop. Just giving the feedback. iPhone user in case that matters

Serb
01/03/2011, 10:27 AM
I really like the new mobile skin in general. I have two issues that are mildly annoying however.

Issue 1: I may be doing something wrong for this, but to get to the last unread post, you need to tap the thread (which brings you to the first post), tap the arrow to go to the last page, then go back to find the last post you read.

Issue 2: Say you read from page 1 to 6 of a thread in the Ireland forum, the only way to get back to the parent forum is to hit back 6 times or go back to the homepage and navigate through the forums again.

Cheers,
Serb

A face
12/04/2011, 8:43 PM
I have a HTC Desire 2.2 and standard browser version WebKit 3.1 and it seems to be fine on every other site, comparing message boards in particular but i'm having problems with foot.ie. I can login, pick a section (i.e. Premier + First Divisions) and the page seems to load, i can see advert but that's. I have deleted cache, cookies, etc and still the same.

Any ideas?

thischarmingman
12/04/2011, 8:59 PM
This happens to me on my HTC too- I can only see the full site.

Apart from that I've been meaning to make a thread here all the week about the fact that it also happens to me on my laptop- it's starting to drive me crazy. A few times a day, I have to load and reload and reload a page because all I get is the headers and adverts.