PDA

View Full Version : Gerard Kinsella

Blue Lou
15/04/2010, 6:33 PM
Why is not playing for ROI anymore?

http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/gerard-kinsella has him down as English

yet in the past he has played for ROI youth teams:

http://indigo.ie/~bvr/Ireland16.htm

Funnily enough, played with Jay Wallace who is not eligible any more!

theworm2345
15/04/2010, 9:40 PM
Did it used to say Ireland and just now changed? I wouldn't read too much in to it, probably just lazy work by the person editing their site.

Serb
15/04/2010, 9:50 PM
Did it used to say Ireland and just now changed? I wouldn't read too much in to it, probably just lazy work by the person editing their site.

Well, it's said England since the 8th of April anyway (Google Cache :P).

Predator
15/04/2010, 9:59 PM
He's not eligible in the slightest, as far as I'm aware. On the Everton website, he lists England as the only team he is eligible for and he was born in Liverpool (not Dundalk, which is where Football Manager had him down as being born). I was always confused as to how Wallace and Kinsella managed to play for Ireland despite not being eligible.

http://www.evertonfc.com/academy/gerard-kinsella.html

Serb
15/04/2010, 10:18 PM
Whoopi Goldberg is his favourite actress? We definitely don't want this guy.

Blue Lou
16/04/2010, 1:34 AM
If he wasn't eligible at all, why did the FAI allow him to play at the expense of another player ?

It seems like the FAI don't bother doing checks. Kinsella.. Irish surname right?

dr_peepee
16/04/2010, 9:00 AM
. Kinsella.. Irish surname right?

Depends how you pronounce it!!!;)

ifk101
16/04/2010, 10:12 AM
If he wasn't eligible at all, why did the FAI allow him to play at the expense of another player ?

It seems like the FAI don't bother doing checks. Kinsella.. Irish surname right?

Good question. But maybe he is eligible.

Anyways interesting to see the team for that game.

Republic of Ireland team:
Harry Lee - Charlton Athletic
Richie Towell - Crumlin United
John Dunleavy – Ballybofey United
Niall Byrne - Home Farm
Conor Hourihane – Douglas Hall
Aaron Doran – Blackburn Rovers
Conor Clifford – Crumlin United
Gerard Kinsella - Everton
Jay Wallace - Everton
Greg Cunningham – Mervue United
Karl Sheppard - Shelbourne

SUBSTITUTES:
Jason Hughes (Geraldines), David Heagney (Huddersfield) and Paul Corry (Belvedere) for Wallace, Sheppard and Cunningham (All 72 mins).
Mark Connolly (Monaghan Utd), Chris Oldfield (Liverpool) and Neil Harney (Belvedere) for Byrne, Lee and Kinsella (All 79 mins).

Quite a few of them are currently with LOI clubs. At this moment in time, it's probably only Clifford that will eventually be capped at senior level.

Alf Honn
16/04/2010, 10:37 AM

Very good question...apparently there's been a few more over the years that have quietly gone away because they were never eligible in the first place (Julian Kelly, Oliver Kelly etc). Seems the least thing any association would check before giving a cap.

Predator
16/04/2010, 10:50 AM
See that's the thing that irks me. I'm not entirely sure about the eligibility of Kinsella and Wallace (and I'm open to correction), but it seems to me that the FAI were either fooled or knowingly played the two, despite their ineligibility.

If they were not eligible at all, I'd love to know the story. However, if they were in fact eligible, then I have no problems. It just seems that they were never eligible, or else decided to play for England.

Ifk, surely Greg Cunningham is on the verge of receiving a cap? What about Aaron Doran?

ifk101
16/04/2010, 11:01 AM
Ifk, surely Greg Cunningham is on the verge of receiving a cap? What about Aaron Doran?

You're right. Cunningham is the obvious one. Not too sure about Doran. If Sheppard and Corry have good seasons, I think they'll attract cross-channel interest again and get their own threads on foot.ie.

Alf Honn
16/04/2010, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Predator;1347675]See that's the thing that irks me. I'm not entirely sure about the eligibility of Kinsella and Wallace (and I'm open to correction), but it seems to me that the FAI were either fooled or knowingly played the two, despite their ineligibility.

If they were not eligible at all, I'd love to know the story. However, if they were in fact eligible, then I have no problems. It just seems that they were never eligible, or else decided to play for England.

----------

Neither qualify.

tetsujin1979
16/04/2010, 11:09 AM
there's no competitive international games at U16 level, so FIFA do not require documentation to prove eligibility. When a player moves into the U17 squad, and called up for official FIFA and UEFA underage tournaments then official government documentation to confirm the player's eligibility is required. What has happened in the past is that the player thinks he is qualified, and turns out for the U16s and when the same player is required to produce the relevant documents for U17 competition, they find out they are not eligible.
It's also happened with Anthony Gerrard (Steven Gerrard's cousin) and Julian Kelly of Reading.

boovidge
16/04/2010, 12:21 PM
Julian Kelly isnt Irish? ahh he always gets into the Irish first team on FM :p

I wonder how all these players think theyre eligible?

Acornvilla
16/04/2010, 12:30 PM
because footballers are idiots

Predator
16/04/2010, 12:48 PM
Neither qualify.I suspected such. Do you know how they supposedly qualified when they represented the U16s?

You're right. Cunningham is the obvious one. Not too sure about Doran. If Sheppard and Corry have good seasons, I think they'll attract cross-channel interest again and get their own threads on foot.ie.
Gerard Kinsella has his own thread despite not being eligible and he looks like he might not make it at Everton! At least, a fair few youngsters are ahead of him. Sheppard was at Everton but didn't make a breakthrough.

Are you an Everton fan bluelou? If so, do you know much about Sheppard and whether he has potential to make it in the Premiership, given that he was released by Everton?

because footballers are idiots
Woah! These guys were kids, can we blame them? It is likely that the parents and the FAI handled the eligibility question.

there's no competitive international games at U16 level, so FIFA do not require documentation to prove eligibility. When a player moves into the U17 squad, and called up for official FIFA and UEFA underage tournaments then official government documentation to confirm the player's eligibility is required. What has happened in the past is that the player thinks he is qualified, and turns out for the U16s and when the same player is required to produce the relevant documents for U17 competition, they find out they are not eligible.
It's also happened with Anthony Gerrard (Steven Gerrard's cousin) and Julian Kelly of Reading.
Thanks tetsujin. I don't think that's enough though. A player can't just claim to be eligible without the FAI checking it out. Surely the FAI have to take responsibility?

tetsujin1979
16/04/2010, 1:44 PM
In Gerrard's case, he thought his grandfather was from Ireland, and when he went to claim his passport, he found out he was actually born in England.
Not sure what happened in Kelly's case but I'd imagine it was something similar. He turned out for the U19s in friendly games, where official documentation is not required, but was later found to not qualify.

Blue Lou
16/04/2010, 1:50 PM
Predator, I'm an Everton fan but never saw Shep' play. From the stats, it doesn't look like he'd make a Championship player. A few players from the academy have dropped to League Two (and some to the league of wales). I think he was released and signed for Galway Utd?

Predator
16/04/2010, 2:21 PM
He has been playing for Galway yeah. As IFK says, there's every chance that if he has a good season, it won't be long until he's back over in England. Jay O'Shea signed for Birmingham from Galway.
According to Wiki, Everton signed him for about E200,000 and beat off competition from a few Premiership clubs; surely he still has potential, considering he's still quite young.

Yard of Pace
16/04/2010, 2:46 PM
He has been playing for Galway yeah. As IFK says, there's every chance that if he has a good season, it won't be long until he's back over in England. Jay O'Shea signed for Birmingham from Galway.
According to Wiki, Everton signed him for about E200,000 and beat off competition from a few Premiership clubs; surely he still has potential, considering he's still quite young.

I was at UCD v Galway a couple of weeks ago. Sheppard didn't do much and missed a brilliant chance to snatch a winner in a game with very few chances. He has the hair and the boots of a top-class player anyway.

Adrock
16/04/2010, 5:54 PM
Why is not playing for ROI anymore?

http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/gerard-kinsella has him down as English

yet in the past he has played for ROI youth teams:

http://indigo.ie/~bvr/Ireland16.htm

Funnily enough, played with Jay Wallace who is not eligible any more!

I think the IFA ought to take the FAI to the Court of Arbitration for Sport really given 2 of the goals we scored on them were by ineligible players. Just as well actually they're not allowed to make this kind of f**k up at competetitive level as the amateurish incompetence of the organisation could get us in serious trouble and banned from a World Cup qualifying campaign or something (happened to Mexico once)

Razors left peg
16/04/2010, 6:43 PM
Predator, I'm an Everton fan but never saw Shep' play. From the stats, it doesn't look like he'd make a Championship player. A few players from the academy have dropped to League Two (and some to the league of wales). I think he was released and signed for Galway Utd?

Ive been very impressed with Sheppard since he signed for United, one of our best signings for a very long time I think. Hes got skill, pace, strenght and a good eye for goal so I wouldnt be at all surprised if he went cross channel again..... hes actually on the box at the moment for the Bohs against Galway United game

MuckaTucka
16/04/2010, 8:54 PM
Ive been very impressed with Sheppard since he signed for United, one of our best signings for a very long time I think. Hes got skill, pace, strenght and a good eye for goal so I wouldnt be at all surprised if he went cross channel again..... hes actually on the box at the moment for the Bohs against Galway United game

He was man of the match, scored two, won the penalty for the winner, and two men were sent off for challenges on him. Very impressive performance, he won't be with us for long.

irishfan86
16/04/2010, 11:20 PM
He was man of the match, scored two, won the penalty for the winner, and two men were sent off for challenges on him. Very impressive performance, he won't be with us for long.

At least he's got the hair and boots of a pro indeed...

Razors left peg
17/04/2010, 12:02 AM

yeah he was brilliant tonight, he reminds me a bit of Kevin Doyle in his style of play.... ur right, we'll do well to even hold on to him for the whole season