PDA

View Full Version : The great crowds debate

Éanna
29/03/2004, 3:20 PM
Rovers ultras board is full of comments about city having only 20 fans at syringeicore (they obviously ignored the other 70/80). Surely they'd be better off wondering why they only had about 800 for their first "home " game of the season?! :rolleyes: Its beginning to look like some bizarre kind of penis envy at this stage :D :D :D

tiktok
29/03/2004, 3:44 PM
to start with there was about thirty standing in and around the flags. Our section was nearly full, and while a few would have been neutrals, there were easily another fifty or thereabouts seated around who got on their feet to celebrate Fenn's goal. Seventy would be a very conservative estimate.

Ozymandias
29/03/2004, 3:55 PM
ya I thought we ahd about a hundred fans at the ground....when we scored they was a good roar went up

NorthoftheLee
29/03/2004, 3:57 PM
to start with there was about thirty standing in and around the flags. Our section was nearly full, and while a few would have been neutrals, there were easily another fifty or thereabouts seated around who got on their feet to celebrate Fenn's goal. Seventy would be a very conservative estimate.

its still a very poor turnout for the 1st away game of the season..I'd guess that there was in the region of about 100 City Fans at the game. And only about 20-25 of those attempted to make any noise.....

It baffles me why after travelling all the way to see your team, people sit there and don't get behind them. Away from home, the team need its fans more than ever....

the ground was fairly empty tho.....the echo from the empty carmac side was eery.....

Peadar
29/03/2004, 4:05 PM
its still a very poor turnout for the 1st away game of the season.

It's difficult for a lot of people to be in Inchicore at 19:00 on a Friday evening especially those with family and or business commitments. Or people who have to be in Manchester on a stag.
Ideally we'd all love to see larger away support but it's just not practical.

Éanna
29/03/2004, 4:13 PM
I don't see any reason why its not possible. I don't expect people to go to every away game, but if theres 4,000+ in the cross every week surely at least 5% of them can make it to some away games. If a person went to every 3rd or every 4th away game, we'd have decent enough crowds. Now i know the Dubs are hyper-critical of our away support, but I personally don't think its anywhere near good enough. I never cease to be amazed by the number of city fans i meet who have never been to an away game other than Cobh, or the 98 Cup Final

pete
29/03/2004, 4:58 PM
Would say max 100 City fans at match.

Richmond ain't so popular with the nameless City exiles. Dalymount seems to attract more exiles to city matches in recent years...

Gary
29/03/2004, 5:51 PM
It baffles me why after travelling all the way to see your team, people sit there and don't get behind them.

So you are not a real fan if you dont sing???? People get behind their team in different ways, not just by chanting and singing.

Colm
29/03/2004, 6:07 PM
So you are not a real fan if you dont sing???? People get behind their team in different ways, not just by chanting and singing.

What are these different ways?
Apart from singing/chanting or a lot of shouting I can't think of any.
I don't see how sitting there in silence helps the team in any way. At away games, in particular, we need everybody to give it their all.

There was somewhere between 80 and 100 City fans there of which a max of thirty got behind the team. We still managed to be louder than the Rovers fans for the whole game though.

Gary
29/03/2004, 6:14 PM
For that you must be very proud, but it now seems apparent that some people seem toi think that unless you are singing throughout a match, you are not getting behind the team. :rolleyes:

I dont sing at matches because
a) I couldnt be arsed
b) Cant really see how by singing "fileds of Bishopstown" or whatever is going to somehow inspire the team to victory.

Its great to be able to support a team without people telling you how!

Colm
29/03/2004, 6:25 PM
Originally posted by Gary
I dont sing at matches

We'll see about that on Saturday night in Longford! ;)

Real ale Madrid
29/03/2004, 10:22 PM
I think the criticism of people going to away matches is unfair.

First of all a lot of people at the X take their kids to matches and that is not really possible to take kids to away games - maybe once a year because its too expensive. Nightime football doesn't lend itself to travelling support where kids are concerned.

Secondly it is very hard to get time off work to go to a game on Friday evening.

Thirdly people have all sorts ofthings on a Saturday - playing soccer matches themselves -training kids themselves etc. Just because you dont go to away games it does not neccesarily mean you are not a true supporter.

The only away game i plan to go to is the Pats game cos its on Good Friday and have the day off. But looking at the fixtures its going to be hard to get to many, if any, more. i mean if i was able i'd go to every match i would. So lay off the lack of travelling support - its hard y'know! :cool:

A face
30/03/2004, 12:55 AM
What are these different ways?
Apart from singing/chanting or a lot of shouting I can't think of any.
I don't see how sitting there in silence helps the team in any way. At away games, in particular, we need everybody to give it their all.

I'd have to agree with that .... There is very little/poor argument otherwise to be honest. It is not like you'll get a limb taken off or you'll get forty lashes or anything. Just join it and have the craic ... you'd never know ... you might even enjoy it.

NorthoftheLee
30/03/2004, 8:19 AM

Gary, where the hell did I mention anything about not being a real fan???
I was just questioning why people just sit there silently at a match, especially after travelling all the way to the pale to see it, where the team could do with the encouragement.

And how the fuc do you get behind the team by not chantig or singing??? By sitting there staring at the players using telepathy to inspire the team is it?? :rolleyes:

niamh
30/03/2004, 12:42 PM
Some of the papers commented on the large travelling support at the match from Cork.
Most people don't fancy an away trip to Rovers considering the tension that has been there between the two clubs recently, but there was no trouble whatsoever at the game.
You can't expect people to take a half day from work every second Friday for a football match.
Just cos you ain't waving a flag and singing doesn't mean you are not supporting the team.

Fair dues to everyone who made the trip to Dublin for the match. I spent the guts of an hour and a half getting across the city for the early kick-off.

liamon
30/03/2004, 12:50 PM
Just cos you ain't waving a flag and singing doesn't mean you are not supporting the team.

Yes it does!
Sitting in silence is not supporting the team.
Explain how you support the team if you don't make noise?
Vocal support really counts, silence doesn't.

Now, where did I put those prawn sandwiches?

Gary
30/03/2004, 12:50 PM
And how the fuc do you get behind the team by not chantig or singing??? By sitting there staring at the players using telepathy to inspire the team is it?? :rolleyes:

Ok sorry, Im not a good fan. i just travel as much as i can, do my bit to promote the club, shout a bit of encouragement here and there. Hmm, i dont sing, so why do i bother even supporting City? :rolleyes: :eek:

Oh, and a sabove, I hard;y think that by people shouting 'Fields etc' is really that encouraging, more a self indulging practise by fans.

Listen, Mr moral high ground, i dont look down my nose at those who dont do what i do, so what gives u the right to try and preach to others? Each to their own etc????

Eric
30/03/2004, 2:22 PM
Oh, and a sabove, I hard;y think that by people shouting 'Fields etc' is really that encouraging, more a self indulging practise by fans.

So those of us that do go to games and sing are just being self indulgent and not getting behind the team????? I think that football grounds everywhere would be eery places if the supporters didn't sing and chant and imagine how that would effect players, a couple of thousand people standing staring at them in complete silence :eek:

It's not the words of the songs themselves that spur the team on it's the noise coming from their support that gives them a lift. I would love to see more people singing and chanting but realistically not everyone is gonna join in. I don't look down my nose at them for not singing but they probably do look down their nose at me because I'm only being self-indulgent :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NorthoftheLee
30/03/2004, 2:22 PM
Ok sorry, Im not a good fan. i just travel as much as i can, do my bit to promote the club, shout a bit of encouragement here and there. Hmm, i dont sing, so why do i bother even supporting City? :rolleyes: :eek:

Listen, Mr moral high ground, i dont look down my nose at those who dont do what i do, so what gives u the right to try and preach to others? Each to their own etc????

Mr Moral High Ground??? Where the fuc do morals come into it... Gary pls think before you write will ya?? I dont look down my nose at anyone..you should know be better then that...and I aint preaching...i was stating an opinion..but it seems you cant have one of those these days...

I havent once said anything about being a good or bad fan so get off your high horse and stop with your obv WUM attempts.

as done in bold.....See you do encourage the team..... ;)

As for the rest of the prawn sandwiche brigade...I stand by the opinion that supporters should get behind their team and not sit there like statues....I am after all entitled to my opinion??? NO??? :rolleyes:

as for the "Fields" comment...ya one song gary....how about the rest of them that do support the team...??? Players and managers will tell you that the corwd getting behind them does give them a lift........

NorthoftheLee
30/03/2004, 2:58 PM
Oh ya......Gary is a girls name! ;)

liamon
30/03/2004, 3:11 PM
thats harsh !...fair play the more city fans the better
support cork city
Harsh, but true.
Having said that, I do prefer to see 6000 at the X, even if the majority just sit there and stare. And while the occasional, polite snooker audience clap is appreciated, I think the atmosphere would be amazing if the entire crowd started to sing/chant/shout/anything.

That aside, I remember sitting in the St Anne's end a few season back and being told to shut up when 3 or 4 of us tried to make some noise for the boys on the pitch.
Since then, I've had a thing about CCFC and "the silence of the lambs".

Colm
30/03/2004, 4:10 PM

Forget 'the Fields of Bishopstown' (that's rarely sung anymore anyway), there are so many far better chants. So many chants that do inspire the team, as Eric said It's not so much the actual words of the song but more the fact that the players can hear their fans making noise. Do you think they'd prefer to play in silence? Self indulging practise my hole! :mad:

Anyway, any away game you've been to you've been either singing, banging a drum, waving a flag or doing all three. I know you don't sing at home games because you refuse to go to the Shed. So, is the essence of your argument that it's alright to sing at away games but not at home games because all the singers go a to a section of the ground that you don't like?? :D :D

Éanna
30/03/2004, 4:29 PM
I understand that not everyone wants to sing, but i think at away games it really helps the players if they know that people have travelled to support them and there's no harm in reminding them during games. I don't expect people to join in everything, but the odd time would be nice. The main thing is that you're there in the first place.

As for the numbers supporting City away. I stand by what I said- the numbers are not good enough. I know people can't take every second friday off, but there's no reason why people couldn't do it once every 6 weeks or even every 2 months.

tiktok
30/03/2004, 5:26 PM
i think Eanna's hit the nail on the head there, at home the players only have to look about the cross to see the support, at away games you have to make a bit of noise to let them know there's fans there that made the effort to travel and are right behind them (sometimes literally :D ).

Gary
30/03/2004, 5:29 PM
I refute any allegators that i ever sing, except Rooster occasionally. I also refute any allegator that says this is a wind up.

Look at the successful teams in Ireland and England -

Shels have no fans, they are very successful, Bohs are exactly passionate, they are winning a nice bit here and there.

Look at Bayern Munich, man Utd, Juventus, argubaly the most dominant teams in their respective countries, and their home grounds arent exactly rife with singers. You see, if they were, the players would only be distratced by the often silly 'lyrics'. By playing in near silence, it helps players concentration! :rolleyes: Duh like!

A face
30/03/2004, 5:51 PM
By playing in near silence, it helps players concentration

That is ******* and utter *****, where did you come up with that .... ******** ******* ***** ...... do they paying you to write such *****. You are talking through your ***********, concentration my ******.

Gary
30/03/2004, 5:52 PM
That is ******* and utter *****, where did you come up with that .... ******** ******* ***** ...... do they paying you to write such *****. You are talking through your ***********, concentration my ******.

:D :) :rolleyes:

You are studying waaaaay to hard there feen. Deep breaths, deep breaths, deep breaths......you see, thats better isnt it.

A face
30/03/2004, 5:53 PM
................... :D

Ruairi
31/03/2004, 12:39 PM
Oh ya......Gary is a girls name! ;)

burn and indeed, burn

Real ale Madrid
01/04/2004, 6:51 PM
Eanna - i actually agree that People like me should go to away games more often in fairness i'm going to make a much bigger effort this season. one thing is that there is not enough promotion in the match programme encouraging poeple to get to away matches - all you see is directions and stuff usually. But i still maintain that nightime football is not very condusive to travelling support. One thing i'd like to know is the Dublin clubs - e.g how many St. Pats fans go to Tolka or Dalymount or vice versa. I'd say its not great.

Éanna
05/04/2004, 3:43 PM
I accept what you're saying Real Ale. there isn't a great culture of away support in this league, certainly not at city and night time football is one of the reasons for that. we have to do more to encourage it. anyone got any suggestions how we can improve this further?!

A face
05/04/2004, 3:52 PM
Well the most obvious way to go is to appeal to the home fans that are missing for the away games. So how do you approach them .... programme, website, fanzine, radio, newspaper, supporters club members, season ticket holders.

Dont know how to tackle it other than that .... but that should be enough anyway.

One way that might work is, charging a bit extra on buses for a few games and then lay on two free buses for one game. It is worth a try anyway i'd say.

I dunno ..... should talk to the people who organise buses and see have they notice anything that works.

Gary
05/04/2004, 5:45 PM
Surely the club should address this issue as well by putting on buses. I know Ian is doing that already, but maybe the club could promote it bette for him???