PDA

View Full Version : The LOI and RTE

eoinh
29/03/2004, 12:32 PM
No football on there yet but they are showing two live Hockey matchs next week - yippppeeeeeeeeee!

Now that is a sport that would gain higher viewer figures than LOI football :rolleyes:

pete
29/03/2004, 1:57 PM
No football on there yet but they are showing two live Hockey matchs next week - yippppeeeeeeeeee!

Mens or Womens? ;)
I'm guessing might get 50k viewers tops? Cricket probably has more supporters in ireland than Hockey. :eek:

I continue to wonder why RTE bother to show Celtic v Rangers, premiership, CL etc... when they already been shown by BBC etc... At least with the eL no one else is showing which means a captive audience.

Éanna
29/03/2004, 3:26 PM

Now that is a sport that would gain higher viewer figures than LOI football :rolleyes:
for fffffffff............. :rolleyes: why do we bother

A face
30/03/2004, 1:21 AM
Hang on ... what are these games ... how important are they.

Lads, devils advocate or whatever !! The hockey crowd would be delighted with this as they get zero (i am guessing) coverage from one end of the year to the other, for the last couple of years. They would also like to get in on the act. That is one thing that could be in our favour ... if RTE were encouraged to show minority sports then they would have to cover eL aswell and the figures would pan out in the end.

The biggest problem to be honest .... is RTE going away and spending wades of cash on F1 etc. if they are prepared to spent that much money on sometimes not Irish (national broadcaster) over something which they should be covering, that is worrying. We'sd need to find out why this is.

While we are on this topic ... anyone know what the outcome of their "public charter" was ?? Was it a success ?? :rolleyes:

eoinh
30/03/2004, 9:22 AM
i wouldnt class LOI football as a minority sport, A face!

pete
30/03/2004, 9:43 AM
The biggest problem to be honest .... is RTE going away and spending wades of cash on F1 etc.

True, if anyone gonna still watch F1 will just watch ITV instead to avoid Peter Collins. I'd be amazed if RTE renewed their F1 contract next time around as viewing figures must be almost nothing.

Macy
30/03/2004, 9:51 AM
Some of us can't pick up ITV, and it ain't even on the sky digital platform. Maybe when (hopefully) they go freeview with the BBC it maybe different. Having said that, the RTE coverage of F1 is so terrible, think I'd rather have an excuse not to watch it...

crc
30/03/2004, 11:28 AM
Hang on ... what are these games ... how important are they.

Lads, devils advocate or whatever !! The hockey crowd would be delighted with this as they get zero (i am guessing) coverage from one end of the year to the other

I think its the men's and women's national finals, which is fair enough IMO - the FAI Cup final is broadcast live by RTE. This is at least an Irish event, if they want to justify their public sevice status, this is the kind of event they should be doing (that includes eL football); F1, Celtic-Rangers, Premiership, etc. is commercially available in Ireland (notwithstanding ITV not being on Sky Digital).

Incidentally, having the goals of at least one match (ideally more) per weekend on the 6.1 or 9 o'clock news would increase the exposure of the eL enormously. After all, we really want people to go to games, and quite a lot of people aren't aware that league football goes on here - or else think that it's a pile of crap because they saw one game years ago and swore they'd never go back.

Dodge
30/03/2004, 12:08 PM
Its probably a cost thing. I'd guess that the Irish Hockey Federation (or whatever) is stumping up the cash to film it or maybe the cup's sponsor is. RTE are not doing this as a public service thing...

Schumi
30/03/2004, 1:51 PM
True, if anyone gonna still watch F1 will just watch ITV instead to avoid Peter Collins. I'd be amazed if RTE renewed their F1 contract next time around as viewing figures must be almost nothing.Must admit I watch RTÉ to avoid James Allen on UTV!

A face
30/03/2004, 3:02 PM
i wouldnt class LOI football as a minority sport, A face!

Man, i know that but we're being shunned, their attitude seems to be "belittle every effort made by the league and hopefully they will go away."

To be honest ... the league needs to pin down the FAI and get them to get a better deal. Maybe include a required one game a week into any contract. As soon as we get something like that, the league should look at get sponsors to fund it and improve the quality (you just know it will be bad).

Actually lads ..... this is a problem with the last few years but not once have supporters united with the intent of improving the situation. Are we all partly to blame for this.

pete
30/03/2004, 3:16 PM
Rooney has been fairly agressive towards changing the eL so maybe could expect something from him next season. Maybe he realising where the power base of irish football is...

Anyone know what the PR/Marketing/Commercial people in the eL do for their wage?

John83
30/03/2004, 3:39 PM
Anyone know what the PR/Marketing/Commercial people in the eL do for their wage?Make cringe-worthy radio ads. :o

A face
30/03/2004, 3:47 PM
Make cringe-worthy radio ads. :o

Just on that aswell ........... What kind of adds would you all like to see/hear on the telly/radio ??

What kind of adds would draw in new supporters ??

Éanna
30/03/2004, 4:06 PM
RTE are not doing this as a public service thing...
RTE? Public Service? No chance at all. They wouldn't know public service if it bit them on the hole.
:rolleyes:

eoinh
30/03/2004, 4:11 PM
but covering hockey is a public service, covering celtic league rugby is a public service. covering LOI football is not.

I can bet you if football was a mainly upper middle class sport we would have live LOI football coming out of our asses.

I taped the football content of TV3's coverage last night -it came to 14 minutes!!! much of which seemed to be shot on 1974 soviet era film by the looks of it :(

Schumi
30/03/2004, 4:17 PM
covering celtic league rugby is a public service. covering LOI football is not.How do you reckon that? There's at least as much interest in CL rugby as there is in the EL. Don't let prejudice get in the way.

eoinh
30/03/2004, 4:23 PM
How do you reckon that? There's at least as much interest in CL rugby as there is in the EL. Don't let prejudice get in the way.

The viewing figures dont support it.

Bald Student
30/03/2004, 6:06 PM
The viewing figures dont support it.

There's usually about 4000 in Donnybrook for a Celtic League game and an average of about 20,000 in Landsdown for a European game.

The viewing figures do seem to support it.

eoinh
30/03/2004, 7:16 PM
4000 for one game- pathetic. leinster remember represents the whole of leinster. there are 12 leinster clubs in the el.

dancinpants
31/03/2004, 3:36 AM
There's usually about 4000 in Donnybrook for a Celtic League game and an average of about 20,000 in Landsdown for a European game.

The viewing figures do seem to support it.

In fairness boss as yer man says thats because of provincial support and not local games. Tell me this how many people would go and support Garryowen or Old Belevdere or whatever for a regular AIL game? And when ye think about it 4000 is a pish attendance for a provincial teams game!!!!

Schumi
31/03/2004, 11:25 AM
In fairness boss as yer man says thats because of provincial support and not local games. Tell me this how many people would go and support Garryowen or Old Belevdere or whatever for a regular AIL game? And when ye think about it 4000 is a pish attendance for a provincial teams game!!!!
:confused: How does that mean that CL rugby shouldn't be on TV? The fact that 10 people go to a Leinster Senior League game has nothing to do with the EL being on TV.

4000 for one game- pathetic. There are 10 home games in the CL plus 3 in the European Cup. That's not far off a full league campaign (about the same as the transition season to summer football). Cork has at least half the population of Munster I would think so 4,000 must be a $hit crowd for Cork City as well?!

Bald Student
31/03/2004, 11:26 AM
The original point made by eoinh was thet the viewing figures for the celtic league show thet there is less interest in it than in the eircom League. I don't think that that is true.

Attendances in the AIL are lower than the eircom League and the AIL gets less TV coverage as a result.

Krusty The Mon
31/03/2004, 1:17 PM
i am sick at having to fork out E152 a year for a licence to those ****s in rte who do not give a sh1te about our national league. :mad:

eoinh
31/03/2004, 1:27 PM
:confused: How does that mean that CL rugby shouldn't be on TV? The fact that 10 people go to a Leinster Senior League game has nothing to do with the EL being on TV.

There are 10 home games in the CL plus 3 in the European Cup. That's not far off a full league campaign (about the same as the transition season to summer football). Cork has at least half the population of Munster I would think so 4,000 must be a $hit crowd for Cork City as well?!

I'm not saying it shouldnt be shown! I am saying that LOI football under any fair system would be above Celtic League Rugby in wether to cover it or not. Your point about the 4,000 crowd - well if its compared to our last game, we had well over 4000 thousand almost double in fact. for last season our average would be over 4000. Your also comparing Leinster with munster. Leinsters population is bigger than munsters and you are conveniently not including Waterfords, Limericks and Cobhs contribution to our figures - all munsters clubs.
we played 19 league matchs in cork last season plus fai cup, league cup and friendlies. That will be repeated this year with the added attraction of european football.

Bald Student
The original point made by eoinh was thet the viewing figures for the celtic league show thet there is less interest in it than in the eircom League. I don't think that that is true.

Could RTE show any more rugby?

Macy
31/03/2004, 1:34 PM
Attendances in the AIL are lower than the eircom League and the AIL gets less TV coverage as a result.
Bar "Against the Head", in a primetime slot everyweek, plus a good few live games in the run in.....

Schumi
31/03/2004, 1:42 PM
I'm not saying it shouldnt be shown! I am saying that LOI football under any fair system would be above Celtic League Rugby in wether to cover it or not.Why? The interest is as high.

Your point about the 4,000 crowd - well if its compared to our last game, we had well over 4000 thousand almost double in fact.4,500 I thought :confused: But however many it was, it's not representative of either the EL as a whole or Cork over the season, unfortunately.

last season our average would be over 4000.Leinster, Munster and Ulster's average over a season would be over 4,000 too I'd imagine and no other EL club gets that many. The interest in the Celtic League is quite high, higher than the EL I would think.

Your also comparing Leinster with munster. Leinsters population is bigger than munsters and you are conveniently not including Waterfords, Limericks and Cobhs contribution to our figures - all munsters clubs.Would Co. Cork not have a population equal to the rest Munster combined? I'm just guessing but I would have thought it would, or close enough. The size of the catchment area is hardly relevant anyway, it's the level of interest in the games that will determine whether they'll be shown on TV.

I don't think there's a real argument, both the EL and the Celtic League should be on TV. It's English and Celtic games that I have a problem with.

eoinh
31/03/2004, 2:28 PM
someone posted up the viewing figures for a recent Celtic League match on TG4. If memory serves me right (and i may be wrong) the figure was somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000.

Im sure those Hockey matchs will pull in the punters :rolleyes:

pete
31/03/2004, 2:34 PM
someone posted up the viewing figures for a recent Celtic League match on TG4. If memory serves me right (and i may be wrong) the figure was somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000.:

Ah but they all ABC1 (or whatever they call it) punters with loads of spending power.

New strategy should be for eL fans to give posh names to supporters clubs etc...

Incidently traditional ways of looking at societies spending power is probably flawed these days. Rugby supporters tend to be middle aged so probably stuck with mortgages & little extra cash as opposed to younger eL market with more discretionary spending...?

Schumi
31/03/2004, 2:42 PM
If memory serves me right (and i may be wrong) the figure was somewhere between 40,000 and 60,000.
Haven't a clue what the viewership is like but if those figures are correct, that'd be a very big audience for TG4, wouldn't it. If it was on RTÉ, the amount of people who'd come across it by accident and watch it would make those figures much higher.

eoinh
31/03/2004, 2:51 PM
Ah but they all ABC1 (or whatever they call it) punters with loads of spending power.

I agree, thats why you find so much rugger on. But as we all subsidise it equally that shouldnt apply to RTE.

And Schumi stop ducking and diving! You sound like an undercover RTE/Rugger fan! :eek:

Schumi
31/03/2004, 2:58 PM
And Schumi stop ducking and diving! You sound like an undercover RTE/Rugger fan! :eek: :eek: is right! I am far from an RTÉ fan and am not undercover in being a rugby fan, I've been every Leinster home match that doesn't clash with a UCD game this season. I'm not defending RTÉ in any way (hell, they don't show the Celtic League rugby anyway!). Of course they should show the EL, we all agree on that. I'm merely replying to your cheap (and not particularly relevent) digs at rugby being on the TV. Both should get coverage, it's not a case of either or.

Aberdonian Stu
31/03/2004, 2:58 PM
Covering the el is a public service. The general principle behind the very term is that it isn't based solely on commerical value so viewing figures alone can't be used as a stat. The principle behind the term is that by showing it they are "providing a service to the nation" that wouldn't be available in a commercial environment.

TommyT
31/03/2004, 9:58 PM
I've been every Leinster home match that doesn't clash with a UCD game this season. Of course they should show the EL, we all agree on that. I'm merely replying to your cheap (and not particularly relevent) digs at rugby being on the TV. Both should get coverage, it's not a case of either or.

It is since there's limited resources for outside broadcasts and limited time allocated to sport. Our ''digs'' at rugby our based on the viewing figures it attracts. You can't argue with the numbers generated by Bogball, the Premiership or Celtic's big Euro games, all of which would out-draw most Rugby Internationals, so we don't, or at least not as much.

eoinh
01/04/2004, 7:39 AM
It is since there's limited resources for outside broadcasts and limited time allocated to sport.

And now they are planning to bring us live Hockey! What will it be next - tiddlywinks? ****ing into a toilet from ten yards?

Jim Smith
01/04/2004, 9:11 AM
The central issue here isn't about what social category of people watch rugby or its relative popularity.

The people who run rugby (not just in Ireland) have their PR down to a tee - and they always have. Remember the days before the Heiniken Cup when Irish rugby wasn't quite as good as it is now? There was still a fair bit of TV coverage with a lot less interest from the general public. Now maybe its a middle class-RTE "coverage for the boys" type thing but when was the last time you heard of Irish rugby clubs threatening court action against their governing body? When was the last time Irish rugby had a public incident like the registration fiasco of a couple of seasons ago?

Rugby run a slick operation and football should look and learn from them. In fairness football has become a bit more pro-active (Summer Soccer, some PR as opposed to none, Licenses....) and we should focus on what we need to do to improve our image rather than on why rugby, hockey or pitch and toss get quality air time and we don't.

pete
01/04/2004, 9:32 AM
When was the last time Irish rugby had a public incident like the registration fiasco of a couple of seasons ago?

Err...Leinster stuffed up the registration of their big name foreign signing who was supposed to solve their outhalf problems so he couldn't play in any Heineken Cup games so Contepomi had to play for County Carlow instead.

Sure there was a bit of bad publicity but 1/2 the country probably never seen a rugby game so didn't care.

(writting this as person been to good few Munster & a couple of Ireland games)

btw All the Banks are run by rugby lads & they dominate the sponsorship of irihs rugby - Irish Permanent, Bank of Scotland, Bank of Ireland, AIB. Hell theres barely a financial institution in the country not sponsoring some form of rugby.

Bald Student
01/04/2004, 9:56 AM
[QUOTE=pete]Err...Leinster stuffed up the registration of their big name foreign signing QUOTE]

But the point is that Leinster accepted their mistake and got on with playing rugby. The issue didn't end up in the high court.

Every sport has mistakes like this. The eL is very bad at handling them and a lot of bad publicity is generated as a result. A good example is the article in yesterdays Irish Indo about Alan Cawley which can be seen in the UCD section.

Macy
01/04/2004, 10:05 AM
There's plenty of bad stuff about rugby - the change to the AIL, City of Derry registrations, drugs etc etc. That's before we get onto the financial mismanagement of clubs, who like the eL are paying over the top wages for average players.

Difference is, the media has no problem covering rugby. With the eL anything is a stick to beat us with and excuse their lack of coverage. Certain clubs, eL management and the FAI hardly help the cause, but similar incidents simply don't get the coverage in other sports.

pete
01/04/2004, 10:20 AM
The issue didn't end up in the high court..

Suppose.

AIL rugby is started to get squeezed by the national media now & will soon probably have no more coverage than list of results.

Bald Student
01/04/2004, 10:40 AM
AIL rugby is started to get squeezed by the national media now & will soon probably have no more coverage than list of results.

True, the AIL itself is being disbanded, oops I mean re-formated.

I think that another reason that the Celtic League gets TG4 coverage is because the matches in other countries (incl Belfast) are recorded by the BBC so TG4 don't always use their own OBU's.

I remember a report in the times, I think, which said that TG4 were in talks with the league but the details of the talks got leaked to the media so TG4 backed off. Does anyone know any more about that?

Jim Smith
01/04/2004, 10:45 AM
Macy and Pete,

Fair ponits - I wasn't trying to suggest that rugby was sqeaky clean - you are right they do have a helping hand brush their probems under the carpet. Football can't change this just as we can't change the GAA and complaining about coverage, sponsorship etc dosen't help our image. We have to promote the positive aspects: things like the ground improvement at Turners X, the value for money - turn up at any ground in Scotland or England and see how far €10 will get you. Anyway, I'm preaching to the converted ;)

TommyT
02/04/2004, 4:53 PM
Fair enough Jim but the fact that the coverted like yourself and Schumi swallow rugby's bull**** shows how pervasive the propaganda is.

A face
03/04/2004, 12:57 AM
Fair enough Jim but the fact that the coverted like yourself and Schumi swallow rugby's bull**** shows how pervasive the propaganda is.

Head ... Nail ... Hit !!

Man ... i couldn't put it into words, but i knew i wanted to say it .... and what is worse is that Jim and Schumi wouldn't be the easiest to pull the wool over their eyes.

Lads .... i all fairness ... i think you are under selling the league altogether.

eoinh
05/04/2004, 9:12 AM
damn missed the live hockey matchs yesterday......... but thank god RTE had highlights of the matchs on last night :rolleyes:

The Irish crazy golf championships are on next saturday live..... cant wait

liamon
08/04/2004, 12:15 PM
I do like the aertel pages that RTE are putting up this year.
For instance, last night there was a good few pages describing the atmosphere at league games. Mentioned how it's better that internationals at LR, despite only having 10% of the crowd.

Aberdonian Stu
08/04/2004, 12:53 PM
Not to rally to the cause of my Belfieldian too hastily but the bottom line is that the other sporting organisations on this island have had two things which went heavily in their favour:

(1) Friends in the right places, no explanation necessary I hope,

(2) Better management, including image management. Both the GAA and IRFU are as rife with problems as the FAI yet who come across the worst always? The better management in these organisations can't be emphasised enough. Having good friends only gets you so far, you have to make the product marketable without the station trying too hard (and by virtue of it being easy to sell the station will in fact put in more effort as it comes across as a more achievable goal). The pomp and promotions run by the other parties are much more professional and dare I saw higher brow (Showdown anyone?) so they generally appeal to a wider audience.

eoinh
17/04/2004, 1:30 PM
Why? The interest is as high.
4,500 I thought :confused: But however many it was, it's not representative of either the EL as a whole or Cork over the season, unfortunately.
Leinster, Munster and Ulster's average over a season would be over 4,000 too I'd imagine and no other EL club gets that many. The interest in the Celtic League is quite high, higher than the EL I would think.
Would Co. Cork not have a population equal to the rest Munster combined? I'm just guessing but I would have thought it would, or close enough. The size of the catchment area is hardly relevant anyway, it's the level of interest in the games that will determine whether they'll be shown on TV.

I don't think there's a real argument, both the EL and the Celtic League should be on TV. It's English and Celtic games that I have a problem with.

Munster Match in Cork last night. Attendance 4000. A Celtic match was shown on TV. An AIL match on today.

RTE are also showing a GAA match in its entirety from 1981 !?! and Aussie rules football.
There is also more GAA being shown.
Nothing by the national channel on the LOI. They will probably show us more of Hunter

eoinh
17/04/2004, 6:09 PM
After seeing the news. Attendance of Cork Con match was about 200 at most ? (shown live on TV)

There looked to be about 48 and a half people at the other match :mad:

pete
19/04/2004, 10:18 AM
After seeing the news. Attendance of Cork Con match was about 200 at most ? (shown live on TV) There looked to be about 48 and a half people at the other match :mad:

And looked like played on pub league pitch. :eek:

At least it topped the attendance at the hockey finals. ;)