PDA

View Full Version : Porto

Raheny Red
13/04/2010, 3:37 PM
Anyone ever been to Portugal's second city? Just dossing on Ryanair at the moment and they are some great deals to this city at the moment. They only fly on Tuesdays and Fridays here so it would mean doing 3 nights. Is there enough things to do here to warrant a 3 night stay?

thischarmingman
13/04/2010, 8:43 PM
I"ve never been and I'm sure someone on here will have more specific info but LP webiste usually has good general info.

Porto section's here:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/portugal/the-north/porto

FWIW, I'd happily take a holiday there!

holidaysong
19/04/2010, 4:43 PM
I was there for a week a couple of years ago in September just before going back to college. Like you, I basically choose Porto because it was really cheap to get to and to stay in. Stayed in a really nice hotel about a 30 min train journey outside the city. To be honest I spent nearly all the trip on the beach in the town we stayed in or sitting in front of the bars along the river in the city itself. It is a really beautiful city to wander around and it's very cheap for food and drink which was all I was really looking for. A trip to the Sandeman's port factory is worth it (very similar to the Guinness Storehouse tour), but thinking back that's the only tourist spot I remember really going to. I did go to see FC Porto's ground (Estadio de Dragao I think ?) but missed out on seeing a game unfortunately. Super Bock beer alone would nearly be incentive enough for me to go back though..