PDA

View Full Version : Pat Dolan Vs The President

Bald Student
29/03/2004, 4:13 AM
From Yesterday's Sunday Indo:

"McAleese denies FAI snub in GAA's favour

PRESIDENT McAleese has denied she has consistently snubbed soccer since she took office, although she has attended just one international game compared with 14 GAA matches in the past two years.

However, Mrs McAleese admited she has a "special affinity" for Gaelic games ahead of other sports.

Scrutiny of her public engagements has led to criticism that her ethos of "building bridges" does not extend to soccer.

Mrs McAleese has not attended any soccer matches in the last two years despite fulfilling 16 sporting engagements last year and 15 in 2002.

A spokeswoman insisted that she was "fairly certain" the President attended at least one soccer match during that time.

The last soccer match the President attended officially was the World Cup play-off with Iran in November 2001.

Last year, she attended seven Gaelic matches or functions, four Special Olympics events, two rugby internationals and one each of showjumping, greyhound racing and swimming.

In 2002, President McAleese attended seven Gaelic games events, four rugby internationals and one each of cross-country, rowing, show jumping and horseracing.

Like Roy Keane, the President does not 'do' friendlies, with the exception of high-profile rugby internationals against Australia and New Zealand. She is invited to all soccer internationals by the FAI.

Cork City manager Pat Dolan told the Sunday Independent: "I'd like to ask her, why does she go to more GAA games than soccer? Is it bigotry that stops her going to matches? Does she actually support in some way those who say if you go to soccer you should be banned?

"There are different ways to be Irish now and this way, the soccer way, is not better or worse, it's just different."

A spokeswoman for the President said: "We have looked at this ourselves. For lots of those soccer internationals, the President was overseas on official engagements and simply was not in a position to attend.

"The President actually likes soccer but it is true that she has a special affinity with Gaelic games," the spokeswoman added.

She also pointed out that the dates for important GAA fixtures are known more than 12 months in advance and the same applies to the rugbyinternationals.

"Sometimes for soccer internationals there is far shorter notice - perhaps just three months. Usually the President's diary is full many months in advance," she added.

Mrs McAleese's husband Martin played Gaelic football with the Sigerson Cup, winning Queen's University in the 1970s.

Even at that time, Mrs McAleese's passion for Gaelic games was clear. When her future husband was fouled during a match against UCD, she mounted a one-woman pitch invasion to vociferously remonstrate with the referee.

Pat Dolan's views are coloured by an experience he had in 2002 when he was invited to Aras an Uachtarain. "We queued up to meet the President," he said. "Different people were introduced and she had great old chats with the GAA and rugby people, so I was wondering: 'What is she going to say to me?'

"When she shook my hand she didn't say anything. That was my experience.

"She has shown she is more of a President for a constituency that has a more narrow view of sport than those who have a different view but love it just as much." "

The more I hear Pat Dolan, the more I think that he likes the sound of his own voice.

pete
29/03/2004, 9:26 AM
He has a point but is being to brash in his expression of it.

Scrutiny of her public engagements has led to criticism that her ethos of "building bridges" does not extend to soccer.

Well going to GAA matches could hardly be seen as building bridges politically since its a predominantly Catholic sport.

Nice to known the FAI as important as greyhound racing & rowing.

:rolleyes:

btw where McAleese from anyway? ;)

Schumi
29/03/2004, 12:29 PM
I don't have much of a problem with this. If she doesn't want to go to football matches, grand. I'd prefer the ticket went to someone who'd enjoy the game. If I was in her position, I'd give any tickets I got for GAA matches to someone who'd appreciate it more.

liamon
29/03/2004, 1:18 PM
I don't have much of a problem with this. If she doesn't want to go to football matches, grand. ....
I think the issue is that her attendance is viewed as an endorsement of the sport. Her lack of interest is therefore considered as a lack of political interest and a lack of support for the game.

Her lack of interest in the particular sport should not be an excuse. It's part of her job to turn up and support sports in general, not just those she likes. If politicians only supported sports that they liked, then we'd find ourselves in ridiculous situations where an individual sport gets tax breaks, centres of excellence and huge investment just coz the Minister for Finance is a fan. :eek: ;)

Having said that, enough politicians go to football games as it is. So I'm not worried.

Dricky
29/03/2004, 1:33 PM
He has a point but is being to brash in his expression of it.

Well going to GAA matches could hardly be seen as building bridges politically since its a predominantly Catholic sport.

Nice to known the FAI as important as greyhound racing & rowing.

:rolleyes:

btw where McAleese from anyway? ;)

ROvers are trying to get her to come to help 'build their stadium'...... that will take all Mary's energy so she's saving it all up for a one off match with Rovers.

bit cheeky Pat, thats exactly what the el needs a 50,000€ security bill for bringing the elle pres to a footie match.

pete
29/03/2004, 2:11 PM
If politicians only supported sports that they liked, then we'd find ourselves in ridiculous situations where an individual sport gets tax breaks, centres of excellence and huge investment just coz the Minister for Finance is a fan.

That would never happen :(

Hmmm... if Charlie Mc was an eL fan would mean
- - league prize money would be subsidised by the government.
- clubs would all have all-seater stadiums with bar & restaurant facilities.
- the entire cabinet would attend the FAI Cup final & have an FF fund raiser tent.
- Sales of eL player offspring be tax free.

(ok maybe not the last one :D )

Krusty The Mon
30/03/2004, 11:30 AM
we are just not part of corporate Ireland. keep the politicos off our patch.

patsh
30/03/2004, 4:33 PM
From the outset, I have to say I detest the bitch!
From the point of view of soccer, she takes her lead from her political master Ahern, who doesn't give a sh*t for soccer, no matter how much he tries to portray himself as "sports-loving". Don't expect her to demean herself by showing up at an eL ground near you anytime soon. The nearest she gets to an eL ground is when she is licking the h*le of some barstard at the f*cking horse show up in the RDS.
There all the same, horses are more important than any of us plebs......:mad:

monutdfc
02/04/2004, 1:25 PM
What about that pr**k Sir Royston getting a free full page election add (sorry 'interview') in the programme for the Czech game, and being the guest at honour at both the Brazil game and Czech game. (Obviously Bertie engineered that.) Royston Brady has used the Lord Mayorship for self promotion and a 1 year Euro election build up.

Dolan made a similar point when co-commentating on the FAI Cup final - 'obviously the President and Taoiseach were busy' he said as some lower order dignatory was the guest of honour. Whether you agree or disagree with him, you cannot deny his passion. I'd agree with Schumi - if she's not a soccer fan she's not going to go to a lot of games. Haven't a lot of time for her generally though, bit of a lightweight.

pete
02/04/2004, 2:24 PM
What about that pr**k Sir Royston getting a free full page election add (sorry 'interview') in the programme for the Czech game, and being the guest at honour at both the Brazil game and Czech game. (Obviously Bertie engineered that.) Royston Brady has used the Lord Mayorship for self promotion and a 1 year Euro election build up.

Apparently hes a Leeds/Celtic :rolleyes: fan & first football game was an Ireland game in mid-80's.

Leinster Lim
02/04/2004, 2:52 PM
'they make the mafia look like bunch of effin monks.' copyright tom gilmartin. :rolleyes:

Aberdonian Stu
02/04/2004, 3:22 PM
Getting away from political loyalties and whatnot for a moment I'd like to say that it's great to see Dolan come out swinging.

patsh
02/04/2004, 4:38 PM
That's a bit strong for the President of this country.
Well you, and I, have strong opinions!
I dislike her intensely, and just because she is the President now, doesn't mean I should change my opinion of her.
My reasons go further back than her sudden appointment as Bertie's pet.

Mary R would have been a rugger type, I'd reckon, but it must be admitted she shook up the office after after 14 years of Paddy's somnolence.
I guess Paddy was a strict GAA man?

monutdfc
02/04/2004, 6:51 PM
Someone told me that he is a regular at Terryland...anyone confirm or deny?