PDA

View Full Version : 'B' Division

TheBoss
10/04/2010, 1:13 AM
Anyone got some info about it, seems to be non-existent info on it in regards to fixtures and tables etc.

HarpoJoyce
10/04/2010, 10:28 AM
UCD were in the 'B' Division before they joined the League of Ireland Senior Division in 1979.

From the One Division in the 1990's there was about 16 teams in it. Of those only about three were considered first teams. Dublin University (Trinity), St. Brendan's (maybe Brendanville) and maybe one of the Mullingar's. The first teams qualified for the FAI Cup but were considered the weakest sides in it.

Gentex, a private firm from Athlone were in it relatively late.

It may have had a sponsor in 1990's but I couldn't begin to guess who.

I was at the at a UCD : Shamrock Rvs game where Eoin Mullen (ex-UCD) got a slagging from some senior people at UCD.

I spent a Saturday afternoon looking for a Bohemians : UCD fixture on Kimmage Road Lower. I never found it. But the result appeared in the paper the next day.
(this was before Google Maps or Maps).

I don't remember the competion being spread too widely around the country.

I would say it finished 1996-1997. (stopped looking for the results around then).

historynut
10/04/2010, 4:43 PM
Athlone were also members prior to election to FAI League.

Dodge
10/04/2010, 5:13 PM
First one was in 64/65. Athlone Town were one of the non league clubs. At various times there were cup competitions run inconjunction with it; The Castrol Cup and the Blackthorn Trophy. Dalkey Utd won the Castrol Cup 3 years ina row but eventually pulled out of league. A while ago I start reseaching pats involvment in it and we definitely won it in 87/88 and 89/90. we were also 2nd 4 years ina row from 93/94 to 96/97

1999/2000 was the last season. Replaced by U21 league

Other non league teams who took part at various stages were Tullamore, CIE, Trinity (Dublin University) as well as others named above

Oh it was sometimes called the LOI Combination. Gams were played on Satruday afternoon.

historynut
10/04/2010, 5:41 PM
Was there not a thread on this previously where did it go ?

historynut
14/04/2010, 12:39 AM
According to local newspaper reports on Clones Town celebrating their recent 125th anniversary mentions they were sounded out as potential members by FAI when the original B Division was being set up in the 60's, though they declined due to lack of facilities.