PDA

View Full Version : Best foreign player in Ireland (non-British)

Pages : [1] 2

sean r
08/04/2010, 12:44 AM
who was the best foreign player in the loi in the last 10-15 years non british? i say joey ndo but i could be wrong livingstone was good too. btw how did the new zealand lads do for bohs ?

**FrOsTy**
08/04/2010, 12:59 AM
Livingstone was awesome. Wes Charles is also a favourite of mine. Pure legend.

Doomofman
08/04/2010, 1:09 AM
Charles was a bit of an animal... Remember him slamming one of our players into the concrete wall surround the pitch in Bray at one stage.... Ndo has talent yeah, but a lousy attitude... And good old Livingston... What a player...

sean r
08/04/2010, 1:13 AM
any brazilians ever play in the league-socratise?

L.T.F.C.
08/04/2010, 1:45 AM
Charles was a bit of an animal... Remember him slamming one of our players into the concrete wall surround the pitch in Bray at one stage.... Ndo has talent yeah, but a lousy attitude... And good old Livingston... What a player...

I'm sorry but I don't rate Ndo at all at all at all! He has scored around 20 goals in his career! I haven't really seen him play, but going on his goalscoring record he is poor and thats all anyone will remember him for.

L.T.F.C.
08/04/2010, 1:47 AM
He claims he has never even been to Dublin.

de bowez
08/04/2010, 2:50 AM
Avery John John John.

SkStu
08/04/2010, 3:21 AM
Mindaugas Kalonas. Probably the best single season ever of any non british player.

Him or Pascal Vaudequin... :)

Dodge
08/04/2010, 7:06 AM

Pats had a couple in 2003, but only one played in the league Luis Saccillito (spelling isdefinitely wrong there)

FOr me the answer is Charles Mbabazi Livingstone. Streets ahead of Ndo IMO. You only have to look at how far Pats dropped when he was forced to retire.

Spudulika
08/04/2010, 7:49 AM
Ryan Guy, maybe Pats fans know better, but he seems like a hard worker and scores goals.

Wes Charles was one tough cookie!

danthesaint
08/04/2010, 8:04 AM
Ryan Guy, maybe Pats fans know better, but he seems like a hard worker and scores goals.

Wes Charles was one tough cookie!

does work hard and super nice fella, but Charlie for me. you could watch him all day, he was brilliant, really hope he comes back one day, really nice bloke
glad he is back playing ball after what happened

Spudulika
08/04/2010, 8:44 AM
Where is Charles now, is he in the States or Canada? I saw him playing for Bray a few times and always wondered why he didn't step up into a higher league than ours, and then he went to Russia and the only thing I heard about that adventure was he was racially abused. Always seemed to be right on the edge.

marinobohs
08/04/2010, 8:52 AM
who was the best foreign player in the loi in the last 10-15 years non british? i say joey ndo but i could be wrong livingstone was good too. btw how did the new zealand lads do for bohs ?

Ndo good player but not best overseas player at Bohs never mind League. Kalounus in recent years made an impact at Dalymount, Avery John had a few good seasons in the league (Bohs and Longford). Like (most) Pats fans I would rate Livingstone highly, unlike (many)Pats fans I rate Ryan Guy a very good player - in fairness I dont see as much of him as they do.
Bohs new Zealand experiment was not a success. Most of the players were poor except Raf Di Georgio who looked good and went on to play in Europe.

pineapple stu
08/04/2010, 8:56 AM
Where is Charles now, is he in the States or Canada?
Clubless per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Charles). Must say I never rated him at all.

peadar1987
08/04/2010, 9:34 AM
Skippy!

marinobohs
08/04/2010, 9:34 AM
Clubless per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Charles). Must say I never rated him at all.

Yea never a fan either to be honest. Absolutely no pace whatsoever. Big lad and very hard tackler but nothing special as a defender and certainly not a contender for any "best overseas player" accolade.

pixiehead
08/04/2010, 10:33 AM
Damien Dupie Galway United!!! French Lad up front.Bit of a d.i.y but was exciting to watch

gustavo
08/04/2010, 10:38 AM
Yea never a fan either to be honest. Absolutely no pace whatsoever. Big lad and very hard tackler but nothing special as a defender and certainly not a contender for any "best overseas player" accolade.
When he first joined us around 98 he had pace to burn tbf and he was outstanding in pretty much every game for us.

marinobohs
08/04/2010, 10:51 AM
When he first joined us around 98 he had pace to burn tbf and he was outstanding in pretty much every game for us.

Good solid (emphasis on solid) defender but never appeared to me to have much pace, may be focused more on his latter career to be fair.

dong
08/04/2010, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry but I don't rate Ndo at all at all at all! He has scored around 20 goals in his career! I haven't really seen him play, but going on his goalscoring record he is poor and thats all anyone will remember him for.

You haven't seen him play yet you don't rate him?
What an utterly ridiculous comment to make.
His goalscoring record is not very relevant. He is a midfielder. If he was a striker I would take your point.
Himself and Killian Brennan played the best football i have ever seen in this league for Bohs last year in the showgrounds. Absolute quality the two of them that night.

marinobohs
08/04/2010, 11:17 AM
His goalscoring record is not very relevant. He is a midfielder. If he was a striker I would take your point.
Himself and Killian Brennan played the best football i have ever seen in this league for Bohs last year in the showgrounds. Absolute quality the two of them that night.

Ndo is a quality player and has proved it for a number of teams over the last couple of years. Can be very inconsistant and indeed frustrating at times and is not blessed with loyalty to any employer (behaved badly in my opinion at St Pats) but can occasionally produce moments worth the asdmission money alone. Great game for Bohs in Eurpe last year (Red Bull away) where his ability to hold the ball up was a big factor in a very good result (his goal helped too !). Joey does not have the pace for a wide berth and in my view his best position is playing behind a main striker (no jokes required).

pineapple stu
08/04/2010, 11:45 AM
Damien Dupie Galway United!!! French Lad up front.Bit of a d.i.y but was exciting to watch
"I was - 'ow do you say? - trying to win ze penalty" :p

Legend. Played one game for us in Longford with a gray jumper on under his jersey.

Buller
08/04/2010, 11:47 AM

Haha, then you have to see him in action up close! He's got enough natural skill to play at the highest level. He's incredible to watch. Unfortunately his attitude has screwed him over...

Ezeikial
08/04/2010, 12:41 PM
Alex Kristic and Owen De Gama...?

Longfordian
08/04/2010, 1:15 PM
Yeah in fairness I've seen Ndo play against us numerous times and he destroyed us in most of the games. I suppose our best foreigner would have to be Eric Lavine by default really. It's either him or Heysham El Kershi!

Mr Maroon
08/04/2010, 1:22 PM
Where is Charles now, is he in the States or Canada? I saw him playing for Bray a few times and always wondered why he didn't step up into a higher league than ours, and then he went to Russia and the only thing I heard about that adventure was he was racially abused. Always seemed to be right on the edge.
He was with the Vancouver Whitecaps but he's been released.

We had one called Alfredo Neto in our A team for a couple of years. I don't think he ever made an appearance for the first team.

MeathDrog
08/04/2010, 1:30 PM
Ibrahim Iyane Thiam.

**FrOsTy**
08/04/2010, 1:32 PM
Eamon Zayed!............................................ ..... i'll get my coat.

marinobohs
08/04/2010, 1:57 PM
Alex Kristic and Owen De Gama...?

A real blast from the past there Ezikial - Derry City if memory serves me right (late 80s ??).

pineapple stu
08/04/2010, 2:32 PM
Yep. Da Gama is currently managing in the South African top filght. Was manager of the year in 2005 or thereabouts.

Was Henry McKop any good at Shels? Just a random name really.

Dodge
08/04/2010, 2:41 PM
Good shout on McKop. Wasn't that good but always stood out for me as he was a Zimbabwean international.

osarusan
08/04/2010, 3:00 PM
The Argentinian Leonardo Trinchin (http://http://www.comunidadrural.com.ar/ficha.php?id=29) for Limerick.

Played 45 minutes for us, looked classy as hell for 5 minutes, until he got absolutely nailed in a tackle and never went near the ball again. Got released a week later (roughly).

EDIT: link not working?

http://www.comunidadrural.com.ar/ficha.php?id=29

That site says he played for "Limeries".......classy name for a football team.

pineapple stu
08/04/2010, 4:00 PM
Good shout on McKop. Wasn't that good but always stood out for me as he was a Zimbabwean international.
Yeah, that's how I remember him alright.

Juan Sara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Sara) had a decent enough reputation in the SPL before joining Shels. Did he ever get a game? Remember him playing in the U-21s at one stage.

L.T.F.C.
08/04/2010, 4:05 PM
Ah apologies, I was under the impression he was a striker for some mad reason! Did he not play some games up front for Bohs last season?

Hibs4Ever
08/04/2010, 4:30 PM
Charles Mbabazi Livingstone

Iorfa2MaccaJim
08/04/2010, 4:42 PM
Angolan winger Jose Quitongo was fabulious when he was with us in 2004.

When I was away on holidays, I bought an Angolan jersey, and it reminds me of him every time
I wear it.

OneRedArmy
08/04/2010, 4:56 PM
Haha, then you have to see him in action up close! He's got enough natural skill to play at the highest level. He's incredible to watch. Unfortunately his attitude has screwed him over...Spot on on Ndo. When he wanted to play, he was untouchable. And not just with the ball either. He marked Paddy McCourt once for Shels in a game in Tolka when McCourt was tearing up teams single handedly. I'm not sure McCourt touched the ball that day. The best marking of a player I've ever seen in the LoI.

Alex Kristic and Owen De Gama...?Thats going back over 20 years!

May as well throw Nelson Da Silva (RIP) in if we're going back that far. IMO he was better than Da Gama.

Kristic is now a FIFA Pro Agent, famous for bringing El Hadj Diouf to Liverpool.

El-Pietro
08/04/2010, 4:57 PM
Mindaugas Kalonas. Probably the best single season ever of any non british player.

he was something else wasn't he.

where did he end up?

Martinho II
08/04/2010, 5:19 PM
The Argentinian Leonardo Trinchin (http://http://www.comunidadrural.com.ar/ficha.php?id=29) for Limerick.

Played 45 minutes for us, looked classy as hell for 5 minutes, until he got absolutely nailed in a tackle and never went near the ball again. Got released a week later (roughly).

EDIT: link not working?

http://www.comunidadrural.com.ar/ficha.php?id=29

That site says he played for "Limeries".......classy name for a football team.

when did he play for ye?

Martinho II
08/04/2010, 5:20 PM

where did he end up?

didnt he end up at his old club in Lithuania?

sligoman
08/04/2010, 6:26 PM
Ian Wexler worth a mention surely? Scored a wonder goal in the Showgrounds...I'm still wondering how he managed it.

SkStu
08/04/2010, 7:05 PM

where did he end up?

he is currently with FC Metalurgs Zaporizhya - Ukranian minnows.

Munster Saint
08/04/2010, 7:58 PM
Charles Mbabazi Livingstone for me. I'd still have him back, he's only 29.

In the last few years Kalonas was different class, pity West Brom didn't sign him after his trial there - he probably would have got his game for them this season.

stann
09/04/2010, 1:36 AM
Angolan winger Jose Quitongo was fabulious when he was with us in 2004.

How could you forget the man that's in your very username?! :laugh:

Dominic Iorfa, Nigerian striker of wildly inconsistent ability, one day trapping the ball further than most people can kick it, the next prompting the fans to sing "Iorfa for Ireland", legend!

EastTerracer
10/04/2010, 3:35 AM
Thats going back over 20 years!

May as well throw Nelson Da Silva (RIP) in if we're going back that far. IMO he was better than Da Gama.

Brings back some fantastic memories of the excitement surrounding Derry's entry to the LoI back in 1985. As a Rovers fan I remember some huge crowds travelling to games in Milltown and latterly Dalymount. I was still in school at the time but I even remember getting roped in to sell programmes at Belfield when Derry came to town (unheard of for UCD at the time).

Hopefully the club will be rejuvenated after the recent debacle. The Derry supporters deserve better than they got from the last owners.

pineapple stu
10/04/2010, 10:11 AM
Is it me, or are there an awful lot of closet UCD fans about the place?

Acornvilla
14/04/2010, 9:24 PM
check the closet so..:beer::beer:

CMcC
15/04/2010, 4:01 PM
Luke Dimach (spelling!!). He was rubbish. I rememeber the hoops bigging him up as the new Kevin Hunt. When the 2 of them met in Tolka, a mate of mine remarked, ' The new Kevin Hunt is spending a lot of time trying to keep up with the old Kevin Hunt '.

Spudulika
15/04/2010, 7:13 PM
Luke Dimach (spelling!!). He was rubbish. I rememeber the hoops bigging him up as the new Kevin Hunt. When the 2 of them met in Tolka, a mate of mine remarked, ' The new Kevin Hunt is spending a lot of time trying to keep up with the old Kevin Hunt '.

Dimech (dee-meck) Still playing and with more tatoos, and basically has his position for life. Total gobdaw, a plastic hardman!

Church Hill 1
16/04/2010, 6:20 AM
I'd rate Australian midfielder Will Hastie as Sligo Rovers' best foreign player in recent years. He was unbelievable in the middle of the park as we won the treble in 94. Boco was a class act for us too, while I'd also give Wes Charles an honourable mention. Not the most subtle of players, but he was always effective, and is a great character and a gentleman to boot.