PDA

View Full Version : The flags of the world graded aesthetically

Quack
27/03/2004, 8:33 PM
Here (http://ahpc-jp30.st-and.ac.uk/~josh/flags/intro.html) .

Some of the aesthetic judgements are diametrically opposed to my own. I like bits of random writing on flags. The grader has a bias against flags with stuff on them., it's fairly cleat. The insults are good though ("Appears to be painted by number" "Black stars too adolescent") , and the Northern Mariana Islands flag is amazingly bad.

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 8:58 PM
Cote D'Ivoire - 'plagiarism'

Anything with Union Jack - 'colonial nonsense'

Quality :D

eoinh
28/03/2004, 9:11 AM
sad i know this but the Georgian flag is no more.
And the "thing" on the Kyrgyzstan flag is a stylised representation of a tent. :o

This is funny though "Spain had a civil war over whether to keep this flag. The wrong side won." :)

liam88
28/03/2004, 10:19 AM
Can't seem to find the Northern Ireland 'flag' on here but must come exceptionally low.
Incoroporating:
-The cross of St. George (who has now been stripped of sainthood and officially never existed_
-The Star of David (what?!?!?)
-A crown (o yay)
-The Red hand (which instead of being the symbol of a province is now increasingly used as a racist symbol)

Good choices there ey? ;)

The other one that makes me laugh is the Union Jack-You've got:
-St. Georges Cross (St. George officially never existed so it makes this worthless)
-St. Patricks Cross (which never was the flag of St. Patrick OR Ireland-a country which now is not part of the united kingdom)
-St. Andrews cross (the only flag on here that means anything)

Due to the time it was made it fails to include

-St. Davids Flag (Wales now being part of the united kingdom)

It strikes me as a wee bit of a ****-up. I didn't dilebratley pick on these flags-they are just ones I know about.

Lux Interior
28/03/2004, 7:21 PM
Can't seem to find the Northern Ireland 'flag' on here but must come exceptionally low.
Incoroporating:
-The cross of St. George (who has now been stripped of sainthood and officially never existed_
-The Star of David (what?!?!?)
-A crown (o yay)
-The Red hand (which instead of being the symbol of a province is now increasingly used as a racist symbol)

Good choices there ey? ;)

Glad you like it, chief ......... :rolleyes:

It's not a 'Star Of David' - it's a six-pointed star, with each point representing the counties of Northern Ireland. Geddit?

A crown - symbolic of the Union ... you're not a fan, I'm assuming. Wa-hey!

On your last point .... it is also interesting that the flag of the Republic Of Ireland, with it's noble origins, has always been used as a flag of convenience for those loveable rogues doing der bit for da 'cause'.

liam88
28/03/2004, 7:32 PM
Glad you like it, chief ......... :rolleyes:

It's not a 'Star Of David' - it's a six-pointed star, with each point representing the counties of Northern Ireland. Geddit?

On your last point .... it is also interesting that the flag of the Republic Of Ireland, with it's noble origins, has always been used as a flag of convenience for those loveable rogues doing der bit for da 'cause'.

Apoligies-musta read a dodgy rite up on the Nord Iron flag (sumwhere said it was David's star and the nordies fancied themselves a lost tribe of Israel).

But our flags all about unity an peace isn't it?

What does the red cross on the Ulster (provisional-gold) flag, represent?

liam88
28/03/2004, 7:36 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]

QUOTE]

Im not anti-British just to clear that up, so mabye the crown is justified but I just meant it's very contoversial.

I guess looking at it in that light:
-6 pointed Star for Ireland
-St. Georges cross (he was only stripped recently and it still remains a symbol of England) for England
-Crown for the Union
-Hand for the province

Two sides to every coint and I'm seeing both :) cheers Lux.

liam88
28/03/2004, 7:47 PM
"Title: British Zionist Star (Star of David)
Description: The Star of David gives an unusual religious dimension to Loyalism. One interpretation is that it is meant to highlight the point of view that the Ulster Protestant people are like the Lost Tribe of Israel who are continuously persecuted. Another theory is that the star was chosen because the six points symbolise the six counties of Northern Ireland."

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/symbols/unionloyal.htm#star
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/symbols/flags.htm

Lux Interior
28/03/2004, 9:04 PM
[QUOTE=Lux Interior]

QUOTE]

Im not anti-British just to clear that up, so mabye the crown is justified but I just meant it's very contoversial.

I guess looking at it in that light:
-6 pointed Star for Ireland
-St. Georges cross (he was only stripped recently and it still remains a symbol of England) for England
-Crown for the Union
-Hand for the province

Two sides to every coint and I'm seeing both :) cheers Lux.

Good man, Liam, there's a pint waiting for you in the Oval clubrooms. :)

liam88
28/03/2004, 9:09 PM
Good man, Liam, there's a pint waiting for you in the Oval clubrooms. :)
:) thanks mate, always great to make some new friends, but ma mam says I have to wait till I'm 18 ;)
Cheers though.
Liam :)

Aberdonian Stu
29/03/2004, 12:00 AM
I have to say that my one big gripe with the Northern flag is (like the guy on that site would say) too busy.

Paddy Ramone
29/03/2004, 9:44 AM
Apoligies-musta read a dodgy rite up on the Nord Iron flag (sumwhere said it was David's star and the nordies fancied themselves a lost tribe of Israel).

But our flags all about unity an peace isn't it?

What does the red cross on the Ulster (provisional-gold) flag, represent?

The red cross on the gold background on the Ulster flag is based on the Burke (de Burgh) coat of arms because the de Burghs were Earls of Ulster. When one of the de Burghs fought in the crusades the King of England, Richard the Lionheart painted a red cross on a gold shield with the blood of a dead saracen and presented it to the de Burgh and it then became their coat of arms.

pineapple stu
29/03/2004, 12:39 PM
Guam -

"Name of country written on flag in ugly typeface. Notice that the M of Guam is larger than the other letters. I have given it this high a grade because it would actually make quite a nice tea towel."

Mozambique -

"Automatic weapons on a flag are especially bad. Appears to have been designed by a committee all of whom had stupid ideas for pictures of extra things to put on the flag."

:D :D

Schumi
29/03/2004, 1:05 PM
Brunei: "Appears to involve a moustache sprouting from a flagpole." :D

pete
29/03/2004, 2:01 PM
Mozambique -

"Automatic weapons on a flag are especially bad. Appears to have been designed by a committee all of whom had stupid ideas for pictures of extra things to put on the flag."

Classic! Good for those tourism brouchures :)

Northern Mariana Islands

F 2 / 100
Appears to have been constructed from clip art. Truly awful.

eoinh
29/03/2004, 2:53 PM
[QUOTE=pete]Classic! Good for those tourism brouchures :)

Northern Mariana Islands

if there are Northern Mariana Islands that means logically there are southern mariana islands. yet he doesnt include their flag. :eek: :confused:
Anti Southern Mariana Islands bias again :p

You see it everywhere now. Hes some ******* ;)

sadloserkid
29/03/2004, 3:12 PM
But seriously, without wishing to detract from the boys work, just how much time does he have on his hands??? :eek:

Quack
02/04/2004, 8:53 PM
sadloserkid,

we're the ones discussing his work on the Internet.

sadloserkid
05/04/2004, 1:09 PM
sadloserkid,

we're the ones discussing his work on the Internet.

Touche :o