PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Winners

Footie_Fan
27/03/2004, 5:27 PM
What an achievement by Ireland in claiming only our 7th triple crown in over 100 years and the first since 1985. D'Arcy and O'Driscoll were outstanding today and throughout! Historic stuff.

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 5:29 PM
D'Arcy our player of the tournament. Probably be another twenty years before we win another triple crown. Saviour the moment. :) :cool:

liam88
27/03/2004, 5:41 PM
Whats a triple crown?
Sorry-not that up on rugger

Pauro 76
27/03/2004, 6:55 PM
same here, we were 2nd in the table when i checked it?

Declan_Michael
27/03/2004, 7:03 PM
Whats a triple crown?

Beating Scotland, Wales & England.

lopez
27/03/2004, 7:26 PM
Whats a triple crown?
It's a throw back to us being in the union. Clean sweep among the four 'British' teams. Triple crown winners and we could still finish third. :confused: Sounds good but is absolutely worth nothing.

tiktok
27/03/2004, 8:45 PM
France beat England so we've deservedly finished second in the championship.
Some good individual performances today, but at the risk of sounding like george hook, we must be a good side now since we can play badly and still win well.

can just about remember the last triple crown, let's hope the next isn't as far away. Nice to see celebrations in landsdowne, let's hope it's a trend that continues.

Footie_Fan
27/03/2004, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately, there has been a tragedy today when 18 year old John McCall died after collapsing while playing for the Ireland U19's in the World Cup in South Africa. His dad was a member of 1985 Triple Crown winning squad. They reckon it was another case of "sudden death syndrome." Why are some many athletes dying suddenly?

lopez
28/03/2004, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately, there has been a tragedy today when 18 year old John McCall died after collapsing while playing for the Ireland U19's in the World Cup in South Africa. His dad was a member of 1985 Triple Crown winning squad. They reckon it was another case of "sudden death syndrome." Why are some many athletes dying suddenly?
His dad was Brian McCall who played for London Irish at the time. Absolutely terrible.

shedite
29/03/2004, 2:53 PM
They reckon it was another case of "sudden death syndrome." Why are some many athletes dying suddenly?

As someone who plays sport, it's scaring me to be honest. I reckon that eventually they will find something that causes this when mixed with something else. Red Bull has a bad name in some areas but I reckon that's been tested enough. Could be some ingredient in Lucozade or something?

Éanna
29/03/2004, 3:08 PM
awful to hear about a guy so young dying. the team has withdrawn from the tournament.

as for the triple crown its not a bad season's work. eddie o sullivan said he wants the grand slam next season seeing as we have england and france at home. i think we could have done it this season had we had those two at home. fingers crossed.

lopez
29/03/2004, 3:40 PM
As someone who plays sport, it's scaring me to be honest. I reckon that eventually they will find something that causes this when mixed with something else. Red Bull has a bad name in some areas but I reckon that's been tested enough. Could be some ingredient in Lucozade or something?
I read in the Sunday Blueshirt it was a broken neck and his uncle was Brian McCall. Today they're saying it's a massive heart attack. Still too much of this sudden death syndrome although it's not new. Bloke at my school a year below me died of a heart attack at 16, 21 years ago. Don't know if it was an aneurism or what but he was the top athlete of his year.

tetsujin1979
29/03/2004, 4:06 PM
Red Bull has a bad name in some areas but I reckon that's been tested enough

Bloke a year behind me collapsed before a basketball game, turned out he'd drunk 3 cans of red bull beforehand

pete
29/03/2004, 4:54 PM
Triple Crown devalued now thats 6 Nations. Only "celebrated" by irish rugby folks cos sooooooo long since last one. Maybe they'll rename as "Home Nations" Cup? ;)

O'Driscoll would wanna cop on with the sponsorship. Way overdoing in interviews with his bottle o drink (no plugs here) but hilarious impromtu p!sstake with Hooks Hooch afterwards....slurp....slurp...

LMAO :D

p.s. IRFU would be badly advised to bankrupt themselves with O'Driscolls new contract as better he off abroad to let young players come through.

Éanna
30/03/2004, 5:06 PM
hilarious impromtu p!sstake with Hooks Hooch afterwards....slurp....slurp...
yeah, that was class. o'driscoll would want to remember that he's a talented rugby player, not the flaming king of the world- he can flounce about when he's got some trophies to show for it :rolleyes:

patsh
30/03/2004, 5:43 PM
Its pretty sad to be celebrating winning an imaginary title..... :rolleyes:

Then again, what would you expect from rugger buggers....
:D :D :D

Plastic Paddy
30/03/2004, 6:02 PM

Then again, what would you expect from rugger buggers...

Call me sad then. I got absolutely slaughtered on the back of our winning the "imaginary" trophy on Saturday. That was sandwiched by getting lashed to help Celtic beat Barcelona on Thursday and then R***ers on Sunday. Oh, and I went all-night clubbing on Friday at Gatecrasher in London and frankly am not prepared to divulge what went on there. ;)

So, keep yer sour grapes. What a weekend. I'm plastic, pisht and proud. :p

:D PP

Footie_Fan
30/03/2004, 7:32 PM

Then again, what would you expect from rugger buggers....
:D :D :D

:rolleyes:

Macy
31/03/2004, 8:07 AM
It's so easy to do the Triple Crown - sure that's why we do it nearly every year... :rolleyes:

b_mcsweeney
31/03/2004, 9:24 AM
since we finished in more or less the exact same position as last year, i don't see why its a big deal. substitute france for england and we had exactly the same season. so you might as well celebrate just beating england. thats the only accomplishment this year, at least be honest about it. in many ways it was a better season last year, as losing our first game this year meant we never had a chance of winning outright. going into the england game last year we had a shot at winning it all.

tiktok
31/03/2004, 9:35 AM
there was an interesting table in yesterday's Irish times which showed the combined results from the four most recent seasons, the top of the table looked something like this, obviously i can't recall a lot of it :) ...

Six Nations 2000-2004

_______Played__Won__Drawn__Lost__
England___25____20____0______5___
France____25____18____0______7___
Ireland____25____18____0______7___

i think this shows that the team has made real progress since we went threw the doldroms where every (five nations) season was a quest not to finish with the wooden spoon.

the south African tour is probably a better chance to show the progression though, it's about time we went and won a tour against a southern hemisphere team.

Macy
31/03/2004, 9:47 AM
since we finished in more or less the exact same position as last year, i don't see why its a big deal. substitute france for england and we had exactly the same season. so you might as well celebrate just beating england. thats the only accomplishment this year, at least be honest about it. in many ways it was a better season last year, as losing our first game this year meant we never had a chance of winning outright. going into the england game last year we had a shot at winning it all.
Well we were playing the top 2 away this year, lost one (in which we came away without being tonked)... The number of times Ireland have done it speaks for itself IMO. It's not easy to do...

Schumi
31/03/2004, 11:36 AM
Celtic beat ... R***ers on Sunday.
Celtic played Rovers? :)

patsh
31/03/2004, 4:36 PM
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DolansWaistcoat
31/03/2004, 5:20 PM
Lads cut out the sarcastic eye rolling for the love of god. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway well done to the giant peanut huggers for winning the triple crown,a really great achievement no matter what the rugby bashers say.

O'Driscoll does really love the limelight though,any Irish player who wanted to be in the papers on sunday or on tv after the game had to be standing about two feet away from the golden boy.Still a great player though and he knows it too.

patsh
31/03/2004, 6:01 PM
Lads cut out the sarcastic eye rolling for the love of god.

Anyway well done to the giant peanut huggers for winning the triple crown,a really great achievement no matter what the rugby bashers say.

:rolleyes: :D
What great achievement? :confused:
The "Triple Crown" isn't a competition, you don't win a trophy, you don't win anything except a few games....
This load of old b*llox goes back to the days before the chaps allowed Johnny Foreigner to share a mudhole with them, and is still seen by alickadoos and aresholes as some sort of big thing..... :rolleyes:

The Triple Crown.... the f*cking Eurovision of the "sporting" world....
Eh, hold on, you ACTUALLY WIN SOMETHING if you win the Eurovision....so
The Triple Crown.... the f*cking You're A Star of the "sporting" world....
:D

lopez
31/03/2004, 9:57 PM
And don't knock Eurovision. I have seen more Eurovisions than rugby games...I never liked Portugal, when their last vote coulda made Terminal Three a winner for Linda Martin.
Showing your age hombre! What the f*ck was that song about? A f*cking airport terminal? :confused:

Or how about Luvbug?
They were so good they went on to play at that 'top London nitespot (sic.)' (copyright of the management of said khasi) 'The Galtymore' in Cricklewood. FFS, can you imagine those Captain Kirks playing at the Bellydancer Arms, Frankfurt, if they just lost out to whoever? :rolleyes: