PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk Match

Well Red
04/04/2010, 8:20 AM
Whats the feelings on this one lads, think it will be a tough game and would not be surprised to see another stalemate, the loss of Peers on Friday was enormous but Keane did very well.
Is there any link or commentary on Monday nights game.

Dillonman
04/04/2010, 11:42 AM
Whats your pitch like lads? Im in two minds about heading over for this after the Galway debacle on Friday!!

Dublin Red
04/04/2010, 11:46 AM
I reckon it'll be another draw.
Re: Dillonman, there is no way the match will be called off. You have my word!

Dillonman
04/04/2010, 11:51 AM
I reckon it'll be another draw.
Re: Dillonman, there is no way the match will be called off. You have my word!

Sweet! whys that?Weather forecast had rain down for yesterday, today and tomorrow in Sligo?!

Chap running the bus has tried to contact the Showgrounds on a number of occasions yesterday and this morning outa chance but no answer!

Dillonman
04/04/2010, 11:56 AM
Also where would a handful of us(non trouble making fans) be welcome for a few pre match pints??

srfc1928
04/04/2010, 12:17 PM
Also where would a handful of us(non trouble making fans) be welcome for a few pre match pints??
Weather forecast today is dry.
No real amount of rain until late tomorrow night.

Pitch is in very good condition, no chance of it been called off even if it did rain.
A couple of the other lads on the new forum were saying we havent had a game postponed in 8 years at The Showgrounds and that was due to a frozen pitch.

Pints wise, Mooneys across the road from The Showgrounds, or O'Neills at the bottom of the hill before you get to the ground

Game will be on

avvenalaf
04/04/2010, 12:17 PM
Sweet! whys that?Weather forecast had rain down for yesterday, today and tomorrow in Sligo?!

Chap running the bus has tried to contact the Showgrounds on a number of occasions yesterday and this morning outa chance but no answer!

Heard the phone ringing alright but couldn't get to it with the floods !! Dry here at the moment and as there has been no game on the pitch for a while it should be able to take a fair bit. What's this about non trouble making fans? Jesus, have we to do everything for ye?

Infadel
04/04/2010, 10:21 PM
What are the ticket prices for a student concession for the match. I've looked at the club's website but the ticket information hasn't been updated since the 2008 season.

Only1Rovers
05/04/2010, 8:15 AM
When was the last time a game was called off at the Showgrounds? That pitch has a proper dranage system in place. I was up their last Friday and the surface looked wonderful. There's probably a little sand still on it put apart from that all's good.

Shedzer
05/04/2010, 3:40 PM
Is Ndo cleared to play yet??

red arrow
05/04/2010, 4:33 PM
no not clear to play yet. hopefully next game

Fivesilver
05/04/2010, 7:56 PM
No tweets tonight? :(

redbuli
05/04/2010, 8:12 PM
extratime have live updates on matchtracker

http://www.extratime.ie/liveupdate/

CRFC&SRFC
05/04/2010, 10:19 PM
Sickening to throw away a 2 goal lead when we were in so much control of game. If ever there was a game where a team thought they had done enough and took foot off gas it was tonight. When i saw brush jump on dannys back and mccabe(i think) carless airkick a clearence i had bad feeling a dundalk goal would turn game on its head. Dundalk arent a bad side, thought gaynor had a good game and faz and fenn will cause teams problems. But like the drogs on friday we should be well capable of beating both.

Really disappointed with a few in stand who continually criticse players during game. It was bordering on rediculous tonight. Even peers was gettin it ffs. Cook is right, people need to start supporting team. Ive seen far worse sides down through years. Hes paid to pick team and manage it. Players and manager are very accessible if people have a problem with them and they want to suggest how to improve things, I cant understand why people will go to a match and just hurle abuse at players of their club who they profess to be passionate about.

Yes people who pay in are entitled to voice their opinion, but hurling constant abuse at players even when we 2 up does nobody any good. After all club are trying to make place a enjoyable place for fans families etc to come to on match night. Players , managers, club staff and fans all have a role to play in taking club forward, and unless everyone is rowing in same direction we'll struggle.Anyway rant over its been a bad weekend, 3 pts against Bray a must now, still undefeated i suppose...

oldrover
05/04/2010, 10:28 PM
I agree totally with the sentiments in the last post re support for the team

avvenalaf
05/04/2010, 10:38 PM
I agree totally with the sentiments in the last post re support for the team

So do I, but it would be much easier to agree with them if the manager would....
a) Show a bit of example by not chewing the b ollix off a lino who was having an excellent game.
b) Stop making logic defying substitutions that weaken the team.

rovers100%
05/04/2010, 11:25 PM
he is the worst linesman in the league ffs !!!!! cook was totally wrong fair enough, but he is a shocking lino.

Peachey
05/04/2010, 11:31 PM
Cook is losing the plot, he has one of the biggest full time squads in the country in a weakened ten team league, and still isn't happy, for the second week in a row his stupid substitutions have cost us the three points, the team should have learned to close out a game by now after last year. The team is a mirror of its manager- soft centered and self absorbed. Cook is always blaming someone or something else for his own tactical shortcomings and poor signings, Ventre, Donninger, Keane, Boyd, Morrisson, Holmes, Parkhouse, the list of bad signings is endless, if Matthews or Foster were in charge we would be in second place. I can't see anything only a heap of debt in November

rovers100%
05/04/2010, 11:56 PM
i wouldnt put keane in that list but the rest your right about. the problem is what other decent managers is there out there and the board will never sack him unless we are in a relegation dog fight. with our big squad he can have no excuses come the end of the year. apart from shams and bohs and fingal coming up the rest of the teams we should be easily beating but we dont know how to kill off a team nor do we know how to defend set pieces. it is still early to judge but cook does not seem to learn from his mistakes. the players need to impose themselves more and look for the ball and make things happen

avvenalaf
06/04/2010, 12:29 AM
he is the worst linesman in the league ffs !!!!! cook was totally wrong fair enough, but he is a shocking lino.

He may be a shocking lino but he didn't make a single mistake tonight and he doesn't deserve to come to Sligo and be treated like that by the home manager.

forza rovers
06/04/2010, 8:46 AM
Doninger is rubbish added nothing to the game couldn't give a toss an immobile centre mid who made danny look good.Amond should never have being taking off.in 1 week we have thrown 2 leads away if we keep going this way weal be the only unbeaten team in the league and going down

Dillonman
06/04/2010, 10:24 AM
You lot must really hate playing us!!

I thought it was a good game considering the difficult conditions.

Only1Rovers
06/04/2010, 10:44 AM
We just have a difficulty in the manner in which we gave away to easy goals.... shocking defending....

roversman
06/04/2010, 11:07 AM
last season paul said give us 9 games before you judge the team but a lot on here were running down the team me included well then the season turned around
so lets give it a few more games this season too ok paul has still not learned from his mistakes last year which isnt a good thing but give them a few more game

Only1Rovers
06/04/2010, 11:12 AM
last season paul said give us 9 games before you judge the team but a lot on here were running down the team me included well then the season turned around
so lets give it a few more games this season too ok paul has still not learned from his mistakes last year which isnt a good thing but give them a few more game

Don't fear punctuation....

showgies
06/04/2010, 11:18 AM
He may be a shocking lino but he didn't make a single mistake tonight and he doesn't deserve to come to Sligo and be treated like that by the home manager.

Arrah! at least he got Cook out of the dugout......I think Cookie was waiting for Dundalks third goal before getting up out of his seat.

red arrow
06/04/2010, 11:20 AM
ok lads we are all very dissapointed after the result last night. we should have closed it out & i think paul still has a lot to learn. but at times we played v. good football. remember lads we have a lot of young players who need to be encouraged not abused. you could se the hurt on thier faces comming off at the end of the game last night. hopefully n'do will be the catalyist to our season because what we need right now is a wiley player with lots of experience & the quicker we get him into the team the better for all. i would agree i am very dissapointed with mark donninger so far but the league is new to him and games seem to pass him by so he will have to learn to stamp his authority in the middel of the pitch. i always try & look for the positives. we are unbeaten , will get better, we have one of the best pitches in the country it was a credit to the groundsman last night. we have a lot of people working very hard for the club. i do agree that we need to win against bray. so keep the faith. incidently how many ponts had we at this stage last season. also lads everybody was speaking about how great shams were going to be , we are above them in the table at the moment. there is a long way to go & i believe we will do well this season overall.

avvenalaf
06/04/2010, 11:56 AM
You lot must really hate playing us!!

I thought it was a good game considering the difficult conditions.

Decent first half - went a bit haywire in the second. You guys brought great support and out-sang Forza. Mind you, they haven't been the same since Rory set up The Provo Forum.

Dundalkjames
06/04/2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah was pleased with our turnout considering what happend in Galway friday
I reckon we had around 100-150

Dillonman
06/04/2010, 12:46 PM
Decent first half - went a bit haywire in the second. You guys brought great support and out-sang Forza. Mind you, they haven't been the same since Rory set up The Provo Forum.

Yeah the lads never stop singing even if we are losing. It spurs the team on and you could see it with the players when that first goal went it. I hope our lot behaved. fe of us in O'Neills, is it on the corner, and where talking to a few Sligo fans, we where made very welcome indeed.

Dillonman
06/04/2010, 1:59 PM
was walking on wolfe tone street after the game, there was a bus i think of dundalk fans, all young fella's. they were havin a bit of a 'stand off' with young locals accross the street. nothing major at all tbh it only lasted a minute. someone from the bus lobbed a glass bottle in their direction but didnt go near them really. name on the bus was crowes nest or something. that from dundalk out of interest?

Unfortunately yes that is one of our buses. You have a PM!

Dunny
06/04/2010, 2:04 PM
was walking on wolfe tone street after the game, there was a bus i think of dundalk fans, all young fella's. they were havin a bit of a 'stand off' with young locals accross the street. nothing major at all tbh it only lasted a minute. someone from the bus lobbed a glass bottle in their direction but didnt go near them really. name on the bus was crowes nest or something. that from dundalk out of interest?

Had a feeling that name was coming when I started reading this post...:doh:

sligorover
06/04/2010, 3:59 PM
Doninger is rubbish added nothing to the game couldn't give a toss an immobile centre mid who made danny look good.Amond should never have being taking off.in 1 week we have thrown 2 leads away if we keep going this way weal be the only unbeaten team in the league and going down
Can we give the lad a little bit of slack please? I know he hasn't impressed but just give him some time and he could come good, hes a young lad settling into a new league and a new country. The whole team played poorly towards the end of the game so its unfair to make a skapegoat of him.

Anyways...devestating result, theres a serious lack of leadership in the team. Thought Conor, Doyle and Danny were all poor last night, Keane didn't look comfortable at left back.

Positive stuff:D:

McCabes goal was as good as I've seen since the good old days of Choice Asien.

Still unbeaten.

N'do and Russell to come into the team yet.

lowroadrover
06/04/2010, 7:32 PM
Thought we played well up to a point last night, they're were positives to take from it. Still giving the ball away far too easily and then getting pressured into silly mistakes. We have to learn how to close a game out even if its not pretty.
Whats the story with Russell anyway
And who was that wearing the N'do mask in the team photo in the program?

red arrow
06/04/2010, 8:44 PM
another 6 weeks before russell will be ready to play

akearins
06/04/2010, 8:53 PM
Only way to shut up the cribbing ****ers up in the main stand is for fans to stand up to them and tell them shut up complaining wont be long quitening down then.See some fans think because they pay in they have a right to shout abuse at players.WRONG. You pay in to support your club and by giving �15 or flashing your season ticket doesnt entitle you to abuse players from the secutiry of the stands.Some fans will never give praise to players or club.

As for fans doubting Cookie now because of 2 poor results maybe look at his record.
In last 18 league games we have Won 7 Drew 9 and lost only 2.
Cooke took us into the Europa League an FAI cup final a League Cup semi final and a Setanta Cup semi final.
The problem is scoring goals to turn Draws into wins,now any side that have top strikers pay top dollar and are the biggest spenders.
So do we sacrafice an entire squad for this one player, beside ther are no strikers avaialable in the league(Mind you wouldnt mind Corks Davin O'Neill)

As for this notion that we have a fantastic squad, we have a squad which is better than last season and we must cut our cloth to suit the budget. Cooke is the best mnanager in the league to get value for money. Ok we have had some duds but what managet hasnt.
Put this way we had a full back in one of our games who is on less than a quarter the weekly wage of the oppositions player in same position.
The squad is young,raw and inexperienced and will take time to gel and learn so lets give it time.
The bench on monday of Foran, Donninger,Marshall and Dillon isn exactly the strongest and with Russell, Daveron,Whelan, Ndo to return its possible none of these lads will even make the bench.

Last season it took us 6 games to register our first win.
After 6 games in 2009 we had 2 points.In 2010 we have quadrupled that tally.
We didnt take anything from Dundalk at home (Dundalk beat us 3-1 and 4-2)
So no one can deny thats some progress, we are only a win of the top spot.

So lets not panic just yet lads

piedpiper
06/04/2010, 9:01 PM
Alan..i think that the only way all fans will be happy is when we win every game 3-0.
It was shocking to hear the abuse at the end of the game even coming from certain people in the blue stand. Last night was a shocking night to have to play a game of football, both teams i think were a credit to the League so just because we dropped down a gear does not mean the end of the world.

redarmyfaction
06/04/2010, 9:03 PM
I think one area Cookie has to address is that we tend to take our foot off the pedal when we go ahead, as if the players have counted the points and there minds are in Toffs or Harloes or whichever place of late night resort they frequent after games. So more concentration please lads.

Only1Rovers
06/04/2010, 9:56 PM
Anyways...devestating result, theres a serious lack of leadership in the team. Thought Conor, Doyle and Danny were all poor last night, Keane didn't look comfortable at left back.

Conor had a solid game on Monday night. If he wasn't in there Dundalk would have walked through us at times. He put in some really important tackles. He kept JJ Melligan and co very quite. It goes to show that when the pitch is looking good Conor's confidence in his passing abilities grows. He spread the ball well from the centre of the park to the wings, feeding McCabe and Doyle well. And he came close to scoring if memory serves.

sligofan4ever
06/04/2010, 11:30 PM
Conor had a solid game on Monday night. If he wasn't in there Dundalk would have walked through us at times. He put in some really important tackles. He kept JJ Melligan and co very quite. It goes to show that when the pitch is looking good Conor's confidence in his passing abilities grows. He spread the ball well from the centre of the park to the wings, feeding McCabe and Doyle well. And he came close to scoring if memory serves.

I think his shot deflected out of Doyle, Doyle knew little or nothing about it though with the amount of players in front of him.

When Russell and N'Do are both ready to play its hard to imagine what the midfield will look like as I think Richie Ryan and Conor O' Grady would still be putting in a good shout as regular starters.

Only1Rovers
07/04/2010, 5:36 AM
I have to say I couldn't fault Richie on Monday night. I have in the past been a critic of him, but on Monday he was getting stuck into tackles I didn't associate with him in the past. Good to see.

Overall the two lads in the centre of midfields worked their arses off, and they weren't the problem. It comes to concentration in the final 20 minutes of our games.... and at least this is something that can be worked on, and easily improved. Someone said that Keane didn't play well at left full. I though he put in a decent shift too...

sligorover
07/04/2010, 3:04 PM
Alan..i think that the only way all fans will be happy is when we win every game 3-0.

Don't think that would even do it..."sure we should have had 6".

Brushie was getting dogs abuse from the lads behind me for most of the game, despite being the major reason we have as many points on the board as we do (I did tell them this). Heard several calls of 'Richie your sh1te', again hes been one of our better players this year. It always amazes me how quickly these lads get on the players back, one bad pass and your done.

Well Red
07/04/2010, 5:42 PM
Where is Joseph when we need him, for God sake get his papers sorted and lets let him loose against Bray, we badly need a creative player to give Blinks a better supply,

bingoballs
08/04/2010, 9:43 AM
If those fans in the main stand were as quick to cheer the team on as they they are to raor abuse we might start changing some of these draws into wins! I dont know how anybody else feels about this but I would rather see the "singing section" in the main stand as i think it might encourage the rest of the stand to start cheering too and generate a better atmosphere. I think they could lengthen the pitch a bit too, they have the space to do it and it would suit the way we play.

MMVIII
08/04/2010, 6:59 PM
If those fans in the main stand were as quick to cheer the team on as they they are to raor abuse we might start changing some of these draws into wins! I dont know how anybody else feels about this but I would rather see the "singing section" in the main stand as i think it might encourage the rest of the stand to start cheering too and generate a better atmosphere. I think they could lengthen the pitch a bit too, they have the space to do it and it would suit the way we play.

That was tried before, and it didn't work. Sounds great in theory but never works, far too many moaners etc and the jinks is perfect for atmosphere. End of.

piedpiper
08/04/2010, 8:04 PM
That was tried before, and it didn't work. Sounds great in theory but never works, far too many moaners etc and the jinks is perfect for atmosphere. End of.

The only problem with the blue stand is that it has been taken over by 'jedward fans'