PDA

View Full Version : MNS 29th March 2010 - Series 4

A face
29/03/2010, 5:17 PM
www.rte.ie/mns (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/)

mns@rte.ie - Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Monday-Night-Soccer/259879838924?ref=search&sid=737387276.3466782794..1) - Twitter (http://twitter.com/RTEMNS)

Spudulika
29/03/2010, 6:19 PM
Have to disagree with the panellists, had to be a red. Controversy over nothing.

Dillonman
29/03/2010, 6:27 PM
Galway's pitch was in an awful state!

Infadel
29/03/2010, 6:39 PM
good old Paul Doolin telling people how football should be played :rolleyes:

Declanus
29/03/2010, 7:06 PM
Didn't know only league players will be picked for the under 23 team. Doolin will get the best out of them hopefully.

DeNiro
29/03/2010, 7:06 PM
Good oul Freddie the Fingal Fox showing how dancing should be danced :rolleyes:

DeNiro
29/03/2010, 7:07 PM
Didn't know only league players will be picked for the under 23 team. Doolin will get the best out of them hopefully.

Anyone know when that squad is going to be picked or suggestions for inclusion?

Jicked
29/03/2010, 7:57 PM
I'd hazard a guess he meant that the very bad nature of the pitch led to an unstable surface which might have impacted on Sullivan's injury. That's just a wild, wild guess. Great to see Sligo Rovers love affair with MON continuing after last week's even more laughable attempt to paint him as a panto villain for rather mundane stuff.

And yes, Tallaght's pitch is in bad knick tonight which is why we're not playing on it. And it's nowhere near as bad as Terryland. Hard to blame Galway or whoever looks after the pitch with the amount of games being played on it.

Martinho II
29/03/2010, 8:00 PM
I'd hazard a guess he meant that the very bad nature of the pitch led to an unstable surface which might have impacted on Sullivan's injury. That's just a wild, wild guess. Great to see Sligo Rovers love affair with MON continuing after last week's even more laughable attempt to paint him as a panto villain for rather mundane stuff.

And yes, Tallaght's pitch is in bad knick tonight which is why we're not playing on it. And it's nowhere near as bad as Terryland. Hard to blame Galway or whoever looks after the pitch with the amount of games being played on it.

I am afraid that you have to blame the bad unseasonal weather for Terrylands pitch being the way it is.. dont forget their groundsman got the award for the best pitch in the top flight two years in a row..

A face
29/03/2010, 8:18 PM
I am afraid that you have to blame the bad unseasonal weather for Terrylands pitch being the way it is.. dont forget their groundsman got the award for the best pitch in the top flight two years in a row..

It doesn't how many awards you get and how good you are, if you have that many games played on one pitch then it simply will not hold up. It was in pretty good nick actually if there was that many games played on it.

gufc2000
29/03/2010, 8:41 PM
Our pitch is usually in top notch, always a nice surface to play proper football on. However, its in bits at present, the bad weather took a severe toll, and really and truly there should never have been as many games played on it over the winter.

I still don't hold the pitch responsible for Sullivan's injury, its just the way he landed imo. Speaking of Sullivan, how bad is the injury?

WoodquayBoy
29/03/2010, 10:37 PM
To me, it looked like his knee locked when he put his foot on the surface - could happen on a carpet, nothing to do with the pitch. That said . . . . Was it lst year or the year before Liam Kearney banjaxed his leg in Terryand and Stephen Kenny blamed trhe surface? There are, IMO, far too many games played in Terryland, it hosts every Galway club final, home representative games, as well as United and Mervue games. Also a problem along the new stand touchline, the overhang of the stand meant parts of the pitch never thawed out for an age.

Guitd
29/03/2010, 11:00 PM
why cant they use another pitch for local games, like drum, theres plenty of pitches there. if the galway league had any care for its LOI club they would sort this out immediately

well its their pitch and if a local club gets to a cup final its Terryland that the want to play in ,most local clubs couldnt give a b*****ks about galway united or Mervue now as well

sligofan4ever
29/03/2010, 11:05 PM
why cant they use another pitch for local games, like drum, theres plenty of pitches there. if the galway league had any care for its LOI club they would sort this out immediately

I recall reading somewhere that Mervue could have their own pitch and facilities if Man City would just pay the 20,000 euro compensation for Greg Cunningham.

Not being bitter about the sending off, but did it not look like Jason Byrne went down a bit too easy ?

pineapple stu
30/03/2010, 9:11 AM
Lads, the Rovers/Rovers rows are getting tiresome at this stage. Can Sligo fans stop having a go at Michael O'Neill over nothing, and can Rovers fans stop replying with "obsessed"?

(And I'm aware it's not every Sligo/Rovers fan who's posting like that)

marinobohs
30/03/2010, 1:12 PM
Lads, the Rovers/Rovers rows are getting tiresome at this stage. Can Sligo fans stop having a go at Michael O'Neill over nothing, and can Rovers fans stop replying with "obsessed"?

(And I'm aware it's not every Sligo/Rovers fan who's posting like that)

Stu
Perhaps if you didn't "award" the title Rovers to one side it might seem a little fairer. shams/sligo should get over it and wouldn't add further fuel to the fire. Why is it such an issue people having a go at Michael O'Neill ? Never a problem when it was Nutsey or any other manager or even Roddy ;)

WoodquayBoy
30/03/2010, 1:26 PM
I recall reading somewhere that Mervue could have their own pitch and facilities if Man City would just pay the 20,000 euro compensation for Greg Cunningham.

Not being bitter about the sending off, but did it not look like Jason Byrne went down a bit too easy ?
Mervue haven't a notion of building a stand - they are waiting and waiting to see what happens the league after the initial 5 year FAI control is up, stories abound that league will be amalgamated into 1 division of 16 teams, with 2 feeder regional leagues from which there will be relegation and promotion. Mervue (correctly in my opinion) don't believe they will be part of this 16 team division, and therefore are not going to spend money on improvements to infrastructure that won't be needed in a regional league.
The junior clubs in Galway don't give a rat's bottom about United, so won;t be pulling out of Terryland to accommodate United.
Finally, don't agree with you on the sending off - yes Byrne went down easily, but Burns did have a hold of him, and if anything, Burns should have got a straight red for being last defender preventing a goal scoring opportunity

wexfordned
30/03/2010, 1:27 PM
Stu
Perhaps if you didn't "award" the title Rovers to one side it might seem a little fairer. shams/sligo should get over it and wouldn't add further fuel to the fire. Why is it such an issue people having a go at Michael O'Neill ? Never a problem when it was Nutsey or any other manager or even Roddy ;)

Different moderation standards apply to Bohs (as I'm sure you are aware) As stu says, if you have a problem with a post - report it.

i agree with Infadel. Talk about hypocrisy when Doolin starts talking about how football should be played.

SkStu
30/03/2010, 2:32 PM
if you have a problem with the moderation then report the post.

It works if you work it, so work it, you're worth it!

stann
30/03/2010, 3:55 PM
Stu

Getting beyond tedious now, this is. Chap don't need me defending him, but Pineapple Stu didn't "award" anything, nor is there anything to award. Everyone in the country calls Shamrock Rovers 'Rovers' except for Sligo lads and Bohs fans on a wind-up. But hey don't let that get in the way of another "we're being victimised again" whinge.
Strikes me it was an awful shame there wasn't a little crucifix included with the new smileys that time.

SkStu
30/03/2010, 3:58 PM
Getting beyond tedious now, this is. Pineapple Stu didn't "award" anything, nor is there anything to award. Everyone in the country calls Shamrock Rovers 'Rovers' except for Sligo lads and Bohs fans on a wind-up. But don't let that get in the way of another "we're being victimised again" post. An awful pity there wasn't a little crucifix included with the new smileys that time.

if youre so keen to talk about smileys, you must have missed the one at the very end of the post you quoted Stann.

stann
30/03/2010, 4:03 PM
No, got that Stu, and also got that it solely applied to Roddy's name being included at the end, or have I that wrong as well, and the one little grin was good for the entire post?

PartySaint
30/03/2010, 4:22 PM
How can they both be called stu, One should be Pineapple and the other should be Sk

SkStu
30/03/2010, 4:29 PM
No, got that Stu, and also got that it solely applied to Roddy's name being included at the end, or have I that wrong as well, and the one little grin was good for the entire post?

thats how i read it but on reflection you could be right... either way, meh, im not too bothered by MB's post or this issue at all. There are certain managers (and former managers) that should be fair game for a dig - Nutsy, MON, Blackie Connors, Pete Mahon, Rico, Roddy, Keely and im sure some more. I think thats what MB was getting at.

SkStu
30/03/2010, 4:34 PM
How can they both be called stu, One should be Pineapple and the other should be Sk

i see what you did there :smile:

Louth4sam
30/03/2010, 5:01 PM
why dont any other fans know gavin peers and hes the best defender in the league by some distance

Because maybe people outside of sligo don't seem to rate him as highly as you lot do.

Rocky77
30/03/2010, 7:01 PM
Personally, I think Peers is quality. But maybe that's just me....

Jicked
30/03/2010, 7:25 PM
I still don't hold the pitch responsible for Sullivan's injury, its just the way he landed imo. Speaking of Sullivan, how bad is the injury?

Woodquay Boy will be delighted to hear that Sullivan did his cruciate ligament apparently and will miss the rest of the season, the nature of the injury will put his career and livelihood in serious jeopardy. Apparently that's karmic retribution for his failure to leave the pitch promptly after being sent off last season.

Bray-Z
30/03/2010, 7:28 PM
Getting beyond tedious now, this is. Chap don't need me defending him, but Pineapple Stu didn't "award" anything, nor is there anything to award. Everyone in the country calls Shamrock Rovers 'Rovers' except for Sligo lads and Bohs fans on a wind-up. But hey don't let that get in the way of another "we're being victimised again" whinge.
Strikes me it was an awful shame there wasn't a little crucifix included with the new smileys that time.

Lads, I could've sworn the thread title was about MNS...

Mr A
30/03/2010, 8:51 PM

Man City honoured their deal with Mervue. The problem with the deal was that Mervue did not tell Man City that the player came from Cregmore. It is Cregmore that are owed money, not Mervue, who seem to have acted in very bad faith in this transaction.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
30/03/2010, 9:20 PM
Woodquay Boy will be delighted to hear that Sullivan did his cruciate ligament apparently and will miss the rest of the season, the nature of the injury will put his career and livelihood in serious jeopardy. Apparently that's karmic retribution for his failure to leave the pitch promptly after being sent off last season.

That's awful news. Hopefully he comes back from it ok.

WoodquayBoy
30/03/2010, 10:26 PM
burns? sure hes gone from us the last 3 years. why dont any other fans know gavin peers and hes the best defender in the league by some distance

Sorry, my bad!

marinobohs
01/04/2010, 11:55 AM

methinks someones panties were too tight, eh Stann ? :o for the record I was not having a "pop" at Stu or anyone else.
Simply pointed out that his post left open a point (RE rovers name) that has lead to "heated" debate on this forum and was likely to reopen debate between the sides not lessen it (fortunately this proved not to be the case). My second point was a question as to why posters were asked to stop having a go at MON when every manager/ex manager etc is fair game on Foot.ie ? Simple enough question I would have thought.
Only "we're being victimised again" whinge is in your (overactive) imagination.

pineapple stu
01/04/2010, 12:07 PM
For God's sake...

The whole thread was taken way off topic by a pointless - and previously done to death - rant about Michael O'Neill. Anyone getting annoyed by the Sligo/Rovers post is looking to get annoyed. Most people will agree that Sligo are Sligo and Shamrock are Rovers; Sligo fans are allowed to disagree. So can we try again to get back on topic?

marinobohs
01/04/2010, 12:23 PM
For God's sake...

The whole thread was taken way off topic by a pointless - and previously done to death - rant about Michael O'Neill. Anyone getting annoyed by the Sligo/Rovers post is looking to get annoyed. Most people will agree that Sligo are Sligo and Shamrock are Rovers; Sligo fans are allowed to disagree. So can we try again to get back on topic?

Fair enough Stu, clarification noted :D now what was the topic again...............?

Hitman
01/04/2010, 4:21 PM
Good to see RTE using suitable photos to highlight their live coverage.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0401/airtricityleague.html

WoodquayBoy
02/04/2010, 9:48 PM
And Jicked will be delighted to know that Stephen O'Donnell's scandalous play-acting was, in fact, shock horror, not exactly play-acting - he was not named in tonight's United squad because of a knee injury picked up . . . . yup, you guessed it.