PDA

View Full Version : Rovers nationalities

sligoman
29/03/2010, 4:27 PM
Right, no game on and I'm bored. What nationalities have played competitively for Sligo Rovers?

Irish, English, Scottish, Northern Irish, Dutch, Barbadian, Portugese, Spanish, American, Bolivian, French/Benin, Polish, Hungarian, Australian, Vincentian, Austrian, Nigerian, Bosnian, South African, Moroccan, Welsh.

Soon to be Cameroonian, I'm sure there's a few more?

sligofan4ever
29/03/2010, 4:30 PM
Austrian (Albert Straka)

jc46
29/03/2010, 4:35 PM
Right, no game on and I'm bored. What nationalities have played competitively for Sligo Rovers?

Irish, English, Scottish, Northern Irish, Dutch, Barbadian, Portugese, Spanish, American, Bolivian, French/Benin, Polish, Hungarian, Australian, Vincentian.

Gabriel Ojo from Nigeria i think, about 40 years ago. Does anyone remember him?. I understand he was recommended and sent here by a missionary priest.

gustavo
29/03/2010, 5:01 PM
How could you forget your favourite Bosnian sligoman?

avvenalaf
29/03/2010, 6:35 PM
Gabriel Ojo from Nigeria i think, about 40 years ago. Does anyone remember him?. I understand he was recommended and sent here by a missionary priest.

Oh, Jesus, don't get me started.

avvenalaf
29/03/2010, 6:37 PM
Hawaiin - Kupono Low.

sligoman
29/03/2010, 7:30 PM
Don't forget Choice. Do trialists count? Didn't a Greek lad play against Coolaney?I did say competitive but yes, Theo Ilidiakas was on trial and played Vs. Coolaney. Even found a picture of him :D
http://i4.bebo.com/039a/13/large/2008/02/10/18/374305277a6844861909l.jpg

Hawaiin - Kupono Low.Nationalities, not American states ;)

sligoman
29/03/2010, 9:09 PM
The Stars and meself discussing this. We had a Moroccan he thinks around 2001. Began with a K, Khali El something...anyone remember his name?

rob mcdonald
29/03/2010, 9:12 PM

Irish, English, Scottish, Northern Irish, Dutch, Barbadian, Portugese, Spanish, American, Bolivian, French/Benin, Polish, Hungarian, Australian, Vincentian, Austrian, Nigerian, Bosnian, South African.

Aled Rowlands Welsh Under 21 came here in Nicky Reids time ....LEGEND....

rob mcdonald
29/03/2010, 9:18 PM
Khalid El Khalif played for Jim McInally, we got him from our International scout who sent us such greats as Jan Vermulen a striker who was here with Dermot Keely at the time Keely said "at worst he'll be adequate at best sensational" 5 games later he was gone... This scout also sent us Peter Cubussen and Daniel Moreno together with Johnny Hoecks (later arrested) and Michael Zaalmann. We are indeed indebted to this man for sending such talent our way and look forward to any future recommendations...

Redie
29/03/2010, 9:20 PM
Surely we've had a good few Taff's down the years. Aled Rowlands for one.

rob mcdonald
29/03/2010, 9:22 PM
Wes Charles St Vincent/Kitts international,

avvenalaf
29/03/2010, 9:49 PM
I did say competitive but yes, Theo Ilidiakas was on trial and played Vs. Coolaney. Even found a picture of him :D
http://i4.bebo.com/039a/13/large/2008/02/10/18/374305277a6844861909l.jpg
Nationalities, not American states ;)

Ah but he was born before it became a state. Cue massive Google search.

sligorover
30/03/2010, 4:00 AM
Ah but he was born before it became a state. Cue massive Google search.
Well thats just not true. He did play internationally for Peurto Rico though.

avvenalaf
30/03/2010, 12:57 PM
Well thats just not true. He did play internationally for Peurto Rico though.

No true? Do you want to step outside and say that? Mind you, I'll stay inside

sligorover
30/03/2010, 3:51 PM
No true? Do you want to step outside and say that? Mind you, I'll stay inside
A wise choice.....its bloody freezing out there:cool:

Fivesilver
30/03/2010, 4:38 PM
Khalid El Khalif played for Jim McInally, we got him from our International scout who sent us such greats as Jan Vermulen a striker who was here with Dermot Keely at the time Keely said "at worst he'll be adequate at best sensational" 5 games later he was gone... This scout also sent us Peter Cubussen and Daniel Moreno together with Johnny Hoecks (later arrested) and Michael Zaalmann. We are indeed indebted to this man for sending such talent our way and look forward to any future recommendations...

Vermulm - yes, he was utter muck, despite looking very athletic at first glance. Are you sure it was in Keely's time? I just feel like he was bit earlier.

red bellied
30/03/2010, 4:52 PM
Bob McAuley, Scotish-Canadian was player-manager for Rovers in 1937-38. He was capped by Scotland twice.

Redie
30/03/2010, 5:52 PM

He wasn't the worst player we've had, especially in those days - what was he arrested for.