PDA

View Full Version : The 1st nomination for the worst refereeing decision of the season - Padraig Sutton

Partizan
28/03/2010, 11:45 AM
It looks like we have a contender for the worst refeereing decision for 2010.

March's winner is Pádraig Sutton's calamity who unbelievale sent off Liam Kearney for diving last night at Drom after been clattered in the box by a Salthill defender.

Look at the video and see what you think. The initial reaction of the Salthill defender says it all.

http://bluestid.blogspot.com/

and to think this guy will be officiating at a senior game next week. The mnd boggles.

Dodge
28/03/2010, 11:50 AM
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything but its far from the first...

Partizan
28/03/2010, 11:52 AM
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything but its far from the first...

Can we get all video evidence together, compile it and embarass these charlatans.

It would be a great DVD seller. ;)

Straightstory
28/03/2010, 12:15 PM
Can we get all video evidence together, compile it and embarass these charlatans.
It would be a great DVD seller. ;)
Great idea! (That was some howler by Sutton.... Red card brandished with arrogant pomposity too).

Rasputin
28/03/2010, 12:50 PM
Its good to see Refereeing standards are at least consistant across the two divisions.

SMorgan
28/03/2010, 12:51 PM
Why in the name of goodness are Refs like him not sacked??

The defender comes tearing in with studs showing and completely misses the ball. It’s questionable whether the defender made contact with Kearney. But who could blame him for wanting to get out of the way. Kearney didn't even appear to appeal for the penalty and was getting up when the bungling Ref came running over in a clear attempt to win this season's "get the red card out of the pocket fastest" competition.

Can somebody get on to MNS and try to get that clip shown to a wider audience.

Ezeikial
28/03/2010, 1:35 PM
It's comforting to know that if any of the top officials are unavailable that there are referees of a similar standard being groomed!!

Mr A
28/03/2010, 1:41 PM
Awful decision right enough, but Kearney's previous diving exploits probably preceded him.

Dillonman
28/03/2010, 1:41 PM
You cant get two yellows appealed can you? Its just straight reds?

Louth4sam
28/03/2010, 2:13 PM
The sad part of a league of Ireland fan's life is looking to see who the ref is before the fixture and thinking "oh that's the ***** that ...."
Ok fair enough they're only human and everyone makes mistakes. It's just they make so many and don't seem to have any consistency.

Dundalk have played 4 games and there has been mistakes in all four of them.

Vs Bray - Burns (last man) brings down a player in the box ref blows up instead of playing advantage bray player puts ball in net but game is called back peno awarded but Burns not even booked.
Vs Drogs - Two very harsh penalties for each side, Daly gets away without a caution for braking Alan Cawley's jaw but ends up getting sent off for kicking the ball away.
Vs Rovers - Gaynor gets lifted out of it by last man Manus. Not even a free. Bayly gets a yellow card for headbutting a player (wtf).
Vs Pats - Mulcahy commits a two footed lunge with studs showing on Kelly which shocked everyone in the ground by only resulting in a yellow card. The same player moments later bodychecks a dundalk player and yet again gets away with it. A 50/50 challenge between Guthrie and Faz on the edge of the box results in a ridiculous free awarded to Dundalk (if anything it was a free out). The ref fails to even caution Guthrie even though he is the last man.

fionnsci
28/03/2010, 2:44 PM
Refs don't have the benefit of camera footage with a perfect view. Refs will ALWAYS make mistakes. It's natural and it's football. Get on with the show.

De Town
28/03/2010, 3:30 PM
Refs don't have the benefit of camera footage with a perfect view. Refs will ALWAYS make mistakes. It's natural and it's football. Get on with the show.

Fair point, but why do LoI refs seem to get more big decisions wrong rather than right?

osarusan
28/03/2010, 3:47 PM
Fair point, but why do LoI refs seem to get more big decisions wrong rather than right?

I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd say it's just that we are more likely to consider wrong refereeing decisions "big decisions" than we are to consider a correct decision a "big decision".

I've watched 4 of Limerick's 5 games so far, and the only big decision I'd say a ref got wrong was denying us a penalty just before half-time against Mervue.

In fact, I'd argue that to a certain extent, decisions are only "big decisions" if the ref seems to have gotten it wrong.

De Town
28/03/2010, 3:59 PM
I know what you're saying Osarusan. I've seen 3 of Town's 4 league games so far and some of the decisions the officials make are just a joke. We got a penalty given against us in Monaghan for a Monaghan player handling the ball in our box. We got a throw given to us last night for Peter Hynes kicking the ball out of play. The linesman was literally 3 yards away. We also got a throw last night when the ball wasn't even out of play. The ref blew for a Shels corner last night before the ball had gone out of play, then the linesman put up his flag as soon as the ref blew, even though our left back and a Shels player were still contesting play. Fair enough the last 3 decisions I've listed aren't exactly game changing ones, but they're still basic errors that shouldn't be happening.

robertob
28/03/2010, 4:01 PM
WOW! Weird decision. Poor referee.

micls
28/03/2010, 5:13 PM
The general consensus from our games so far has been 'Wow, the ref ARE actually worse in the first division'. Not all major things but constant poor decisions, for both sides.

bluewhitearmy
28/03/2010, 6:04 PM
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd say it's just that we are more likely to consider refereeing decisions "big decisions" than we are to consider a correct decision a "big decision".

I've watched 4 of Limerick's 5 games so far, and the only big decision I'd say a ref got wrong was denying us a penalty just before half-time against Mervue.

In fact, I'd argue that to a certain extent, decisions are only "big decisions" if the ref seems to have gotten it wrong.

I take it you missed the Derry game so?
And we have only played 4.

gael353
28/03/2010, 6:10 PM
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd say it's just that we are more likely to consider refereeing decisions "big decisions" than we are to consider a correct decision a "big decision".

i still have a sore throat from that mervue game, the peno ("where the grass tripped the player") mervues "goal" where the ball only had to enter the limerick 6 yard box for it to be awarded, and of course the three mins added of additional time when the game was held up for about 20 mins for two long injuries followed by 6 six subs :rolleyes: these officials are monitored so id love to see when refs get the results ie suspensions etc or rewarded with trips from Kerry to monaghan for travel expenses....nnot looking at anyone mr templeman.....78c a km

**FrOsTy**
28/03/2010, 7:09 PM
Just to add in about Suttons performance last night. He let Salthill off with a handball. The ball was played into the air and was going out of play. The salthill player caught the ball before it had went out. 3/4 Of out players called it and the ref said and i quote! " Lads it was going out anyway"

osarusan
28/03/2010, 7:27 PM
I take it you missed the Derry game so?
And we have only played 4.

Right, only 4. Longford was the 3rd, not 4th.

Was at the Derry game, thought both our red card and the decision not to give us a penalty were correct decisions, though some Derry fans seemed to feel we should have had one.

Town Legend
28/03/2010, 7:33 PM
Also last night in our match the ref rightly gave us a penalty for shels keeper Delaney clattering into Derek Glynn but only gave him a yellow when he was the last man back!!! Delaney ended up saving the penalty although the rebound was put in. But at that stage it was 4-2, Shels would of been down to 10 men and I would of fancied our chances of coming back.

bluewhitearmy
28/03/2010, 8:11 PM
Right, only 4. Longford was the 3rd, not 4th.

Was at the Derry game, thought both our red card and the decision not to give us a penalty were correct decisions, though some Derry fans seemed to feel we should have had one.

And the Derry player that got away with it said it was a shocking decision was 100% pen. Have no problem with our sending off.

Acornvilla
28/03/2010, 8:40 PM
yep ref choked it was definitly a straight red

seand
29/03/2010, 10:35 AM

March's winner is Pádraig Sutton's calamity who unbelievale sent off Liam Kearney for diving last night at Drom after been clattered in the box by a Salthill defender.

Look at the video and see what you think. The initial reaction of the Salthill defender says it all.

and to think this guy will be officiating at a senior game next week. The mnd boggles.

First nomination?!?! It took all of 2 minutes in Bray on the first day of the season. That is a shocker though. Stonewall penalty, a terrible tackle. Yep, just watched it again it's a real Sunday league sliding tackle about 14 seconds too late.

RoversHead
29/03/2010, 10:58 AM
The sad part of a league of Ireland fan's life is looking to see who the ref is before the fixture and thinking "oh that's the ***** that ....".
ha ha ha very true.

smasher
29/03/2010, 11:07 AM

This guy reffed an FAI Cup game between Everton FC and Carrick Utd in 2008 and gave the worst display of refeering I have ever seen, including Junior games.
How this person is deemed proficient to officiate at this level is laughable.
But this type of ineptitude is commonplace.

gufct
29/03/2010, 11:32 AM
Whats worse lads is Padraig Sutton is a Premier Referee.Weve had him loads of times and he always makes mistakes .First game of the season he gives Stephen O'Donnell 2 yellow cards one for an innocous challenge and the 2nd for an alleged dive on the half way line and then compounds it by chickening out of giving us a stonewall penalty .

CSFShels
29/03/2010, 11:38 AM
Also last night in our match the ref rightly gave us a penalty for shels keeper Delaney clattering into Derek Glynn but only gave him a yellow when he was the last man back!!! Delaney ended up saving the penalty although the rebound was put in. But at that stage it was 4-2, Shels would of been down to 10 men and I would of fancied our chances of coming back.
http://vimeo.com/10506772
Defo the last man, no disputing that. Wouldn't have fancied your chances of coming back though but anythings possible.

osarusan
29/03/2010, 11:50 AM

don't want to come across as an apologist here but having watched the incident on the link supplied by CSFShles, I wouldn't expect a red card for the tackle, mainly because the Longford player actually got his shot away before being clattered, and it was cleared off the line. The Longford player wasn't trying to knock it round him and tap it in, he was trying to lift it over him, and would never have got to the ball before the Shels defender anyway.

Bluebeard
29/03/2010, 2:38 PM

C'mon, we all know that if a referee is any good at all, he is going to be scouted picked up by a really big English or Scottish league before he is 16 or 17; only the no-hopers stay here. Sure some of the refs that go over just don't make it, and occasionally they fall into the League of Ireland, but they completely stand out a million miles because they are so much better because they have seen REAL refereeing up close. That is why I exclusively watch the EPL - the standard of refereeing is much better than some paraochial bog league refereed by guys who are not even as good as some of the junior league referees. And don't come up with some kind of lame ass League of Ireland fanatic excuse like "look at the guy who does internationals" - Fifa only pick him to keep you lot happy.

And for my next trick "How there isn't a single kit in the League of Ireland good enough to compare with a dodgy League 2 third choice jersey".

MeathDrog
29/03/2010, 3:47 PM
I am a referee myself. It's been done to death, a referee will NEVER have a perfect game. Doesn't matter what level. We're only human.

However, there seems to be a philosophy within the LOI refs that once you're qualified to ref LOI, it means that you have 'made it', and therefore you don't have to prove to anyone that you're a good ref, they all think they're the dogs b*llocks. That's why we see them flash out needless yellow cards and try and take centrefold of a game (Dundalk V Drogs) or make an absolute disgrace of themselves (Drogs V Bohs. I notice the referee in question here was not given a game in last week's fixtures). No need for the pompous reffing. Get on with it and do it efficiently. A good referee is one that you don't notice.

SkStu
29/03/2010, 3:51 PM
A good referee is one that you don't notice.

i beg to differ MD.

86AJje3ElDc

Bluezar
31/03/2010, 7:15 PM
Sutton is a dope. Clear peno for Kearney and ends up getting sent off.

He's not as bad as Graham Kelly though!

Guitd
31/03/2010, 8:05 PM
Whats worse lads is Padraig Sutton is a Premier Referee.Weve had him loads of times and he always makes mistakes .First game of the season he gives Stephen O'Donnell 2 yellow cards one for an innocous challenge and the 2nd for an alleged dive on the half way line and then compounds it by chickening out of giving us a stonewall penalty .

and hes back in Galway this weekend ,has been promoted to a premier match for the decision in salthill been appointed to galway v Dundalk:confused:

Bluebeard
01/04/2010, 8:31 AM
....has been promoted to a premier match .....
I think for "promoted" you could read "lives near enough and has nothing better to do on the night".

seand
01/04/2010, 10:13 AM
...or make an absolute disgrace of themselves (Drogs V Bohs. I notice the referee in question here was not given a game in last week's fixtures). ...

I watched this one with interest, wondering how Bohs managed to end up against 9 men this time (instead of the usual 10.) Have to say some decision were questionable but I think all four yellows for the two sendings off were justifiable. Obviously Drogs fans would argue against, but not one of the four yellows was outright wrong, imo.

seand
01/04/2010, 10:32 AM

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/lawsofthegame.html

My apologies for linking to the Laws of the Game when discussing the laws of the game, but the ref was absolutely correct not to send Delaney off. The famous "last man" does not exist in the rule book. The phrase is "denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity". Longford striker took his shot and got it on target. (this was his obvious goal-scoring opportunity.) THEN he was taken out by the keeper. A foul and a pen, yes, but no obvious goal-scoring opportunity was denied as the striker was never going to score even if he wasn't taken out by the keeper.

razor
01/04/2010, 10:34 AM
Even I feel a tad sory for little Frodo after that. Crazy decision.
Is this the same Sutton that awarded ye a ridiculous penalty in front of the Shed a few weeks back.

I guess they even themselves out. :D

A good referee is one that you don't notice.
Credit where its due to John McLoughlin last Friday night, he reffed a very good game.

marinobohs
01/04/2010, 11:36 AM
I am a referee myself. It's been done to death, a referee will NEVER have a perfect game. Doesn't matter what level. We're only human.

However, there seems to be a philosophy within the LOI refs that once you're qualified to ref LOI, it means that you have 'made it', and therefore you don't have to prove to anyone that you're a good ref, they all think they're the dogs b*llocks. That's why we see them flash out needless yellow cards and try and take centrefold of a game (Dundalk V Drogs) or make an absolute disgrace of themselves (Drogs V Bohs. I notice the referee in question here was not given a game in last week's fixtures). No need for the pompous reffing. Get on with it and do it efficiently. A good referee is one that you don't notice.

Good point MD, i sometimes believe that certain refs feel the match is not a match until they "impose" themselves on it. Perhaps the cult of the EPL refs and the higher profile they now "enjoy" ? Personally I doubt any fan ever paid in to watch a ref (despite the comedy value often on show). i think the high level of red cards may be due to refs to often giving yellow cards when a stern word might suffice, thus when a second offence arises they have little option but to issue a second yellow card.

From what I see (mainly bohs games and MNS + live games) the majority of yellow/red cards are in fact correct and therefore the refs should not be blamed (again inheirited from the EPL ?) but the lack of (A) common sense and (B) consistency is evident throughout the League.