PDA

View Full Version : Should we be worried about Trap

Duggie
26/03/2010, 10:05 AM
lads does anyone think trap would be interested in the Celtic job? id hate to have to part with him, hopefully it wouldnt come about.

DannyInvincible
26/03/2010, 10:08 AM
Seriously? :rolleyes:

Duggie
26/03/2010, 10:11 AM
im not saying he is but would he be. has been mentioned on Celtic messageboards.

DannyInvincible
26/03/2010, 10:16 AM
I actually thought this was going to be about his aging or something. Sure, wasn't Trap linked with the Turkey job or something there a few months ago before affirming his commitment to us? There's also the little matter of him being under contract. If Celtic were to offer him the job, the FAI would have to be awarded a substantial compensation package, presumably by Celtic, due to his severing of the contract.

DannyInvincible
26/03/2010, 10:19 AM
im not saying he is but would he be. has been mentioned on Celtic messageboards.

Just excitable Celtic fans getting ahead of themselves over the prospect of a new manager, I would imagine. Sure I could sign up to a few Celtic message boards and air Mickey Mouse or Stan Laurel as potential candidates.

In saying that, Staunton is a free agent now...

Duggie
26/03/2010, 10:20 AM
you never know in football. hope nothing more comes of it. few things in the media on it.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=38318

DannyInvincible
26/03/2010, 10:27 AM
Media reportage of media speculation, that. Not a quote or reference to where the story originated in site. I don't actually think Trap does "fit the bill", him being under contract and all.

gspain
26/03/2010, 10:35 AM
Yah he is gone. I mean he turned down Juventus but Celtic are far too big to turn down. Get real.

The Irish people seriously worried about losing their manager to Celtic have one thing in common - they are all Bohs fans.

Damo
26/03/2010, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately for Celtic, the SPL and the financial constraints they operate under, mean they can only attract unproven managers or those of average ability. Owen Coyle, Roy Keane or Mick McCarthy is about the best they can aspire to.

Duggie
26/03/2010, 10:46 AM
haha, relax i was just posing the question if celtic did go knocking would he be interested. he didnt go back to juve as it was short term and prob saw it as to big an ask at his age now. at celtic he would have an easy task as you only have rangers. obvisouly no of you think its a runner.

Crosby87
26/03/2010, 10:47 AM
There is no way in hell he is going to Celtic. Wouldnt be the end of the world anyway. Again, we didnt qualify. We can hire loads of managers to miss tournaments. In fact, we often do.

DeLorean
26/03/2010, 10:55 AM
You would have to think that at his age International management would suit him a lot better. He has also put a lot of work into finding new players and watching them develop such as Whelan. We are at a stage now where those type of players would be expected to flourish and with the likes of Coleman, McCarthy, O'Hara potentially to come in I would expect him to want to see it through.

Seriously Crosby it's very easy to say he didn't qualify so he's a failure like the rest of them but anybody with half a brain can see the progress he has made. Most of us are optimistic about our chances now compared to being almost suicidal under Staunton. Having to beat one of the two most recent World Cup Finalists to qualify was a pretty tall order.

tetsujin1979
26/03/2010, 11:16 AM
if he refused Juventus, who he managed previously, then there's no way he'd go to Celtic.

ArdeeBhoy
26/03/2010, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately for Celtic, the SPL and the financial constraints they operate under, mean they can only attract unproven managers or those of average ability. Owen Coyle, Roy Keane or Mick McCarthy is about the best they can aspire to.

What he said.

Serb
26/03/2010, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't be worried about Trap at all, they don't really have the money to be paying millions in compensation. Someone like Roy Keane mightn't be the worst choice for them, but I'd say they're gonna go after free agents as compensation is a massive stumbling block these days.

geysir
26/03/2010, 11:29 AM
Afaiu the Trap to Celtic link was from a rte radio interview with an ex player Frank mcAvennie explaining what is needed to an Irish person,
'someone like Trap' explained as someone who is experienced, has tactical sense and can handle fans/press.

At least Trap's ego gets massaged by the attention.
After the Juve offer
“I have arrived at this conclusion: the Trapattoni of today is greater and more prepared than the Trapattoni of 20 years ago.”

Razors left peg
26/03/2010, 11:47 AM
If Neil Lennon does well for the rest of the season he will get the job there in my opinion. Trap for the Celtic job wouldnt even have entered my head

rebelmusic
26/03/2010, 12:34 PM
Dont think they could really even afford him. He's on what, 2 mill a year for Ireland? What do celtic managers generally get? And anyway, the spl is too crappy for trappy, wuhahah

Onefootednopace
26/03/2010, 12:39 PM
Dont think they could really even afford him. He's on what, 2 mill a year for Ireland? What do celtic managers generally get? And anyway, the spl is too crappy for trappy, wuhahah

I doubt Celtic could even afford his translators fees..

http://images.google.ie/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/070b5J2cHd5g7/610x.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEWVJJ-JI3yh9E1xzRSKzTFm5gKmw

endabob1
26/03/2010, 12:55 PM
Zero chance of him going back to club management, the job he's in suits him perfectly. We'd be more likely to lose him to someone like Greece or Switzerland than we would to a club side & as mentioned he ruled himself out of quite an attractive job with Turkey so I'm pretty confident he's going nowhere.

Duggie
26/03/2010, 12:57 PM
I doubt Celtic could even afford his translators fees..

http://images.google.ie/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/070b5J2cHd5g7/610x.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEWVJJ-JI3yh9E1xzRSKzTFm5gKmw

id miss her now, quite nice IMO. esp i think it was after the italy game at croke park when trap was giving an interview and she was wearing an ireland jersey under her jacket. cute as.

Yard of Pace
26/03/2010, 1:14 PM
Ah, Manuela. I do love her so.
I don't think there's any chance of Trap going to Celtic but all the same I don't like the way he's being continually linked with other jobs. I'm not his biggest fan but to become manager-less at this stage would be pretty disastrous for us. It should be a non-issue, he's Ireland manager, that's the end of it.

DannyInvincible
26/03/2010, 1:20 PM
Ah, Manuela. I do love her so.
I don't think there's any chance of Trap going to Celtic but all the same I don't like the way he's being continually linked with other jobs. I'm not his biggest fan but to become manager-less at this stage would be pretty disastrous for us. It should be a non-issue, he's Ireland manager, that's the end of it.

It's not as if he's fuelling it himself, or even entertaining any of it. It's just unfounded speculation on message boards. This story seems to have arisen out of a casual or passing mention by some ex-Celtic player on a radio show of the need to bring in someone of Trap's calibre to manage Celtic, as has been mentioned. Of course, the media has pounced on what is, in reality, a complete non-story.

back of the net
26/03/2010, 1:22 PM
Lads..sorry for my bluntness...BUT ITS ABSOLUTE SH*TE....

He is going nowhere........stop worrying and lets look forward to EURO 2012 under the TRAP

DannyInvincible
26/03/2010, 1:31 PM
Lads..sorry for my bluntness...BUT ITS ABSOLUTE SH*TE....

He is going nowhere........stop worrying and lets look forward to EURO 2012 under the TRAP

Don't worry; no-one's worrying (bar, maybe, the orginal poster, if he's yet to come to his senses). Complete waste of bandwidth, this, really.

Duggie
26/03/2010, 1:43 PM
Don't worry; no-one's worrying (bar, maybe, the orginal poster, if he's yet to come to his senses). Complete waste of bandwidth, this, really.

hey that was me..prob because im a trap fan and got a bit worried with these "links". always good to be a bit worried. i mean who would have thought trap would have come to us 2 years ago.

Kingdom
26/03/2010, 3:09 PM
Who'd have thought Roy Hodgson would have come to us 2 yrs ago?

Girl in Green
26/03/2010, 3:14 PM
Probably linking everyone and anyone to the Celtic job to distract from who they actually are chasing....all bull****! Trap goin nowhere....sure where else would he get the money the FAI are paying him.....

Yard of Pace
26/03/2010, 3:43 PM
I'm not worried but just seeing this as the top story on the Irish Times online sports page maybe me think for a moment that maybe Trap has privately made it known that he'd listen to job offers or something like that. I'm an awful cynic, I admit! But the Irish Times doesn't usually report idle specualtion the way other papers do so I thought there must be something to it.

geysir
26/03/2010, 4:22 PM
Probably if you had heard the interview with McAvennie that the Irish Times was basing it's article on, you would have laughed louder than Trap was reported to have.
The IT attention grabber headline was merely an exercise in journalistic sensationalism.

Charlie Darwin
26/03/2010, 7:00 PM
Why would anyone want to manage Celtic?

yapster
26/03/2010, 8:12 PM
Calm down guys, Trap is going nowhere, he is happy with the part-time job with Ireland as he is 70 yrs of age and gives him time to spend with his family

ArdeeBhoy
26/03/2010, 9:52 PM

As a long-time fan I'm inclined to agree. But we've had some great days with the likes of Jock Stein, MO'N & even :rolleyes: WGS!
Which go to prove on their day, Celtic and their fans are the 'greatest' club in the world....

Trapattoni would be the wrong man. Ideally it would be David Moyes, but realistically, knowing Celtic, it could be anyone.
Given the last rookie boss they had was John Barnes, Lennon can hardly do any worse? But only there till the summer at most.

Crosby87
26/03/2010, 10:13 PM
He would be back on a plane to Italy the first time he put some spaghetti sauce on his haggis.

Razors left peg
27/03/2010, 1:13 AM

because as much as the Premiership lovers look down their nose at other leagues Celtic is still a massive club with a massive fan base and if a manager does well there he will get far more recogniton than he would managing a club in the lower end of the Premiership

Royal rover
27/03/2010, 7:43 AM
Trap would never go to Celtic - simply the because of his age and current salary - why would you swap that for the pressure and media attention that the celtic job brings - i remember years ago everton wanted Andy Gray as manager - at the the time he rightly said that sky were paying him more why would he do such a thing

soccerboy
27/03/2010, 7:20 PM
i'll eat my hat if trap goes to celtic

tetsujin1979
31/03/2010, 8:55 AM
Trapattoni revealed he turned down Juventus earlier this year: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6065903,00.html
also, this quote would seem to rule out managing a club, along with Ireland at the same time

"It was impossible to divide my time between Ireland and a club," Trapattoni told Mediaset.

elroy
31/03/2010, 5:59 PM
.....................used to be Italian but he's Irish now........