PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Friday International Fixtures on LOI

Dodge
25/03/2010, 2:00 PM
Apart from the ROI friendly which caused the fixtures of Friday May 28 to be played on Saturday 29th, the fixtures down for the Fridays of 3 September and 8 October will have to be moved now.

Friday 3 September
Premier games for
Dundalk v Bray
Galway v Pats (Mervue playing on the Saturday)
Finglas v Bohs
UCD v Drogheda
Rovers v Sligo (shut up Sligo fans, we know…)

First Div
Limerick v Longford
Waterford v Derry
Mons v Harps
Shels v Salthill

Games for the 8 October
Premier
Bray v Drogs
Dundak v sligo
Galway v UCD (Mervue playing on Saturday)
Pats v Bohs
Rovers v Finglas

First
Derry v Shels
Limerick v Wexford
Waterford v Harps

Just in the premier some have to move 2 home games (Galway, Dundalk, Rovers) while others none at all (Drogs, Sligo, Bohs)

Schumi
25/03/2010, 2:04 PM
The Galway and Mervue situation is a bit awkward. One of them will have to play on the Sundays I suppose.

Dodge
25/03/2010, 2:05 PM
Could see a return to the bad old days with Dundalk playing on a Thursday night and games spread over Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

pineapple stu
25/03/2010, 2:09 PM
The Galway and Mervue situation is a bit awkward. One of them will have to play on the Sundays I suppose.
Would Mervue be let play in Drom?

Sam_Heggy
25/03/2010, 2:12 PM
The chances were that the Mons v Harps game would have been moved to the Sunday anyway.

I would love the Waterford game to be moved to the Sunday with a 2/3pm kick off, easier for travelling.

SkStu
25/03/2010, 2:14 PM
Could see a return to the bad old days with Dundalk playing on a Thursday night and games spread over Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

if it is only for 2 or 3 rounds a season then i think it is something everyone can live with.

Dodge
25/03/2010, 2:19 PM
yeah, I was just commenting on that specific weekend

However, I'm firmly of the opinion that our (Pats) crowds have suffered over the last couple iof years due to the amount of date/day changes for europe and TV reasons. We went something like 3 months without a home game on Fridays which makes it hard to get into habit etc

Duffman
25/03/2010, 10:43 PM
Who would've thunk that Alex Fergusons and his premiership manager buddies year on year whinging would impact LOI fixtures ?

mypost
26/03/2010, 4:38 AM
The games down for October will be automatically moved, however the ones in September might stay, as the international game will be over by about 6pm that evening.

However, I'm firmly of the opinion that our (Pats) crowds have suffered over the last couple iof years due to the amount of date/day changes for europe and TV reasons. We went something like 3 months without a home game on Fridays which makes it hard to get into habit etc

Liverpool have played once on Saturday at 3pm at home in the past 6 months, yet 40,000 fill Anfield every week.

Dodge
26/03/2010, 7:09 AM
Well done to them. However its not relevent to the LOI

I note your gate survived hugely from the move to sunday v Dundalk.

mypost
26/03/2010, 7:20 AM
Well done to them. However its not relevent to the LOI

It is, if it's habits that need to attract a crowd.

pineapple stu
26/03/2010, 8:54 AM
Most of the crowd at Anfield are either season ticket holders or barstoolers on package trips. With the LoI, we're trying to get the fleeting customer. The habit of going to games is well developed at Liverpool; we're trying to develop it here.

Also, if the 40000 going to Anfield every week decided they weren't going to bother, another 40000 would come along handily enough. Not the case with us.

Dodge
26/03/2010, 8:58 AM
It is, if it's habits that need to attract a crowd.

It is needed in the LOI, it isn't in England when a huge percentage of the crowd only go to 1/2 games a year.

Your own crowd on Sunday bears testimony to this

mypost
26/03/2010, 2:05 PM
Most of the crowd at Anfield are either season ticket holders or barstoolers on package trips. With the LoI, we're trying to get the fleeting customer. The habit of going to games is well developed at Liverpool; we're trying to develop it here.

We don't get the fleeting customer in our game. The general public at large aren't interested. Most people are st holders or away fans. UCD is one of the biggest universities in the country, but that isn't reflected in your home gates. Most don't want to know despite the fact the ground is 5 minutes walk from the campus.

The number of barstoolers going to games anywhere in England is a very small percentage of the overall crowd. Some come from other countries, but most are either st holders or locals that can afford a rare game. Saturday at 3pm has, and is the traditional time for games in England, yet some clubs rarely get to play then. But people aren't put off by constant time changes and the fact that they can watch it on tv for a pittance. Habits aren't a factor.

Dodge
26/03/2010, 2:08 PM
We don't get the fleeting customer in our game... Most people are st holders or away fans

You obviously have no knowledge of gate receipts and attendances within the league. Seriously. Clueless stuff.

holidaysong
26/03/2010, 3:33 PM
Our crowds have been poor enough when playing on a Saturday or Sunday so I'd imagine we'll just go back to Thursday for these two games.

Ezeikial
27/03/2010, 2:12 PM
We don't get the fleeting customer in our game.

....and you have posted over 3,500 times on foot.ie and hold this view. Incredible stuff. By any chance is it the A championship you follow?

micls
27/03/2010, 2:22 PM
Most people are st holders or away fans.

Are you for real?

If that were true we'd have had a crowd of around 300 or so last night.....

gufcfan
27/03/2010, 8:32 PM
Would Mervue be let play in Drom?
There is no way in hell Mervue would switch venue, especially if it was doing Galway United a favour.

WoodquayBoy
27/03/2010, 10:26 PM
There is no way in hell Mervue would switch venue, especially if it was doing Galway United a favour.

Exactly. Not a snowball's chance in hell Devon will let Mervue on the, ahem, 'hallowed' turf of Drom. I would imagine United will end up playing on Sunday. I have been told United have first 'dibs' on Terryland, but no sense in making changes to affect 4 teams (United and Mervue switching games, opposition affected as well), when United can play on Thursday/Sunday and therefore just 2 teams affected

Schumi
27/03/2010, 10:33 PM
The clash should have been avoidable. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for the league to have arranged the fixtures so that Mervue and Galway are at home on opposite weekends.

mypost
27/03/2010, 10:56 PM
You obviously have no knowledge of gate receipts and attendances within the league.

The amount of "fleeting customers" at games, aka "newbies" is relatively small. There are non st holders who go to watch their local team, but if people don't want to go to watch LOI, it doesn't make a difference what night it's on, they won't go full stop.

Ezeikial
28/03/2010, 12:27 AM
We don't get the fleeting customer in our game.

The amount of "fleeting customers" at games, aka "newbies" is relatively small.

You managed to shift the "fleeting customers" from zero to small within 24 hours. Just think what you could do in a month or two if you set your mind to it!!!

Dodge
28/03/2010, 8:48 AM
The amount of "fleeting customers" at games, aka "newbies" is relatively small. There are non st holders who go to watch their local team, but if people don't want to go to watch LOI, it doesn't make a difference what night it's on, they won't go full stop.

Not every one who goes to a game is a season ticket holder, and the majority of them aren't "newbies" either. There are plenty of people who pick and choose their games, and every single club gets better attendances with better results. You think these all rush out to buy season tickets?