PDA

View Full Version : the league in general

Ali-G
23/10/2001, 8:45 AM
Is it a tactic this season to have at least one league match on every day of the week? Although i would prefer to see everyone play at the same time every weekend, having a match every night does create alot of publicity. i do alot of drving now, and every hour on the radio you are reminded of an EL match. Free advertising every hour of the week on all the national radio stations. Is this coincidence, or some foresight from the EL on advertising. Or is it just a ploy to make it impossible to attend away matches?
Ali-G

Neil
23/10/2001, 10:02 AM
I think it's got more to do with the fact that a lot of eL clubs have realised that more money can be earned from holding different events and functions on a Friday and Saturday night. This has led clubs to playing on Thursdays and Mondays.

It's a sad fact really that a football club will host a 21st on a Saturday night instead of a football game.

There is also, of course, the fact that this season is being played out before March and there are a lot more mid-week games.

pete
23/10/2001, 10:16 AM
Weekend games on thursdays are idiotic & IMO create an unfair advantage towards the home team.

the fact that this season is being played out before March and there are a lot more mid-week games.

Yup correct & due to the short transition season next year we might asw ell get used to a lot more next summer.

When we have so many mid-week games i think the thursday weekend games can be excused but when we move to non-winter football its got to be stopped. Some good initial signs by the Commish trying to set all evening games at the same time & also looking for fans views on preferred day of the week for games.

Maybe if we'd have got the Commish a season early there would be no impending non-winter footie?

niamh
23/10/2001, 11:27 AM
Publicity of any sort for the league is welcome but it is more than a little ridulous having some many games on different days of the week...