PDA

View Full Version : Superquinn in Waterford

eoinh
24/03/2004, 6:05 PM
Are selling Kangaroo steaks and Crocadile meat with recipes.

If thats not funny enough the meat comes from .......... holland!??!! :confused:

Macy
25/03/2004, 7:39 AM
Get some Kangaroo anyway - lovely. Also shark if they have it. Don't think I've had croc's before though...

max power
25/03/2004, 9:17 AM
when your in dublin again call into the outback bar and have a lovely roo steak in there........

the 12 th man
25/03/2004, 9:28 AM
or try pickled puffin like on the tennants ad

eoinh
25/03/2004, 9:30 AM
when your in dublin again call into the outback bar and have a lovely roo steak in there........ UGGGGGGGGGhHHH :eek:

max power
25/03/2004, 9:32 AM
they are really nice and have a nice oz beer to to wash it down......

Peadar
25/03/2004, 10:06 AM
Also shark if they have it.

People are being advised not to eat shark, marlin and other predatory fish due to the exessive levels or mercury they can contain.
While you can eat two cans of tuna a week, they advised against eating any shark.

Roo steaks sound good.

Had reindeer in Finland and it's the dogs doodies.
Couldn't get enough of it.
Speaking of dogs, if I was offered dog in Korea I probably would have eaten that too.

Macy
25/03/2004, 10:25 AM
People are being advised not to eat shark, marlin and other predatory fish due to the exessive levels or mercury they can contain.
While you can eat two cans of tuna a week, they advised against eating any shark.
Thought that was pregnant women?

the 12 th man
25/03/2004, 10:39 AM

Roo steaks sound good.

Had reindeer in Finland and it's the dogs doodies.
Couldn't get enough of it.
Speaking of dogs, if I was offered dog in Korea I probably would have eaten that too.

peadar,you sound like an eating machine.the ultimate carnivour :D

Peadar
25/03/2004, 11:34 AM
the ultimate carnivour :D

I was on the train to Cork once and we stopped suddenly.
The driver announced that we had hit some calves and had to wait while they cleared the track. All I could think of was veal steak

There are a hell of a lot of animals out there who'd eat me so I say, "eat or be eaten." :D

Funny thing is, I'm not a big fan of fish, just animals.

Thought that was pregnant women?

3 years ago Health Canada advised Canadians to limit consumption of shark, swordfish and fresh and frozen tuna, to one meal per week. They also said that pregnant women, women of child-bearing age and young children should eat no more than one meal per month.

I think this has been revised and in Ireland (can't find it on the Internet) people were advised to avoid shark.

Nothing about it on Bord Iascaigh Mhara (BIM) (http://www.bim.ie/templates/homepage.asp)
or on Department of Agriculture & Food (http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=areasofi/foodsafety.xml) or on Bord Bia (http://www.bordbia.ie)

the 12 th man
25/03/2004, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=Peadar

Funny thing is, I'm not a big fan of fish, just animals.[/QUOTE]

100,000,000 fish collectively let out a deep breath. :D

dahamsta
25/03/2004, 11:42 AM
Not as unusual as roo or croc steak I know, but I had ostrich steak in the Titanic in Cobh a few years ago and it was yummy. My ould fella nearly had a heart attack, since all I'd eat when I was a kid was sausages, chicken and plaice (but only the plaice they had in Garryvoe Hotel!) :)

adam

Peadar
25/03/2004, 11:55 AM
I had ostrich steak in the Titanic in Cobh

They farm that in Ireland now, don't they?
I had Pigeon in Copenhagan a few years back.
Tiny little thing. You'd nead 4 or 5 of them to fill you any bit.
For anyone interested, you can get it at the restaurant by the mermaid.

When you're from West Cork and have eaten drisheen and crubeens you'd eat anything :D

eoinh
25/03/2004, 11:56 AM
I was in Italy last summer and on the menu was horse and Donkey.

how could anybody eat a poor donkey? :(

They had all the other food like chicken, beef , lamb etc and also someting labelled as just "meat". In my book they had covered all the other meat dishes so god knows what "meat" meant and from which animal?

max power
25/03/2004, 11:59 AM
ate horse in spain and it was lovely, lean animal therefore lean meat, lovely.....

Macy
25/03/2004, 12:13 PM
how could anybody eat a poor donkey?
Not any different from a poor cow or a poor pig or a poor chicken, IMO.

Peadar
25/03/2004, 12:52 PM
how could anybody eat a poor donkey :(

So long as it's dead it's just meat.
I think I'd prefer horse though.
It's probably just the packaging but donkey's look old and grey and therefore not as tasty looking.
In many Indian restaurants they have "meat" dishes which usually means lamb.
People have hang ups about eating certain things because it just doesn't seem right. So long as the meat is fresh and cooked to my liking, I'll eat most animals. Actually I think I'd be a little slow to eat a primate, especially one belonging to the Pongidae family or Hominidae family.

pete
25/03/2004, 1:37 PM
So long as the meat is fresh and cooked to my liking, I'll eat most animals.

Jeez i'd better make sure don't drive to any games with ya in case we stranded in the Midlands with nothing to eat.

:eek:

SÓC
25/03/2004, 1:39 PM
They farm that in Ireland now, don't they?

Yea there a place on the Dublin to Wickla road that farms em. Looks very wierd, sheep and cows every where then studdenly it looks like you've found a Seallafield Chicken Farm

Peadar
25/03/2004, 2:28 PM
stranded in the Midlands with nothing to eat

Well if it came down to a choice between Supermucks or you... :eek:
What goes well with human flesh?
Sweet chilli sauce? :D

eoinh
25/03/2004, 2:32 PM
Jeez i'd better make sure don't drive to any games with ya in case we stranded in the Midlands with nothing to eat.

:eek:

Well, i recently watched a disturbing programme on Channel 4 about that German cannibal :( . I dont really eat sausages any more :eek:

the 12 th man
25/03/2004, 2:43 PM
What goes well with human flesh?
Sweet chilli sauce? :D

i believe fava beans and a nice chianti!!! fvvvvvvvv

Peadar
25/03/2004, 2:52 PM
a nice chianti!!! fvvvvvvvv

I forgot about the wine, cheers Fr.
A Chianti is one of the only Italian wines I'll drink but I think I should have a red with my human supper. Cabernet Sauvignon perhaps? :D

pete
25/03/2004, 3:02 PM
From the chapter of Delias 'How to Cook' that was never released.

Person Stew

1 shoulder of person, about 2 1/2 kilo), dressed and cut into serving pieces
1 bottle dry red wine
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
6 Tbsp. each bacon fat and flour
2 large onions, chopped coarsely
1 large carrot, chopped coarsely
3 stalks celery, chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
6 shallots, chopped coarsely
12 juniper berries
12 whole peppercorns
2 whole cloves
2 bay leaves, crushed
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. each thyme, oregano, basil and rosemary
salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

In a saucepan combine the wine, wine vinegar, olive oil, onions, carrot, shallots, celery, garlic, cloves and all of the herbs and spices. Bring just to a boil, immediately lower the flame and simmer for about 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from the flame and let cool for 1/2 hour.

Put the cup-up shoulder and giblets in a ceramic bowl and pour over the marinade. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 days, turning the meat several times each day.

Remove the meat from the marinade and dry on toweling. Strain and reserve the marinade.

Sprinkle the meat with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. In a skillet melt the bacon fat and in this brown the meat, slowly on all sides. Sprinkle over with flour, stir and continue to saute until the flour is absorbed and turns light brown. Add the strained marinade and simmer, covered until the meat is tender (45 - 60 minutes). Correct the seasoning, simmer for 5 minutes longer and serve hot. Serves 6.

Peadar
25/03/2004, 3:10 PM
Person Stew

No, no, no I was thinking more about something like this.

2 1/4 kg Human flesh
Strips of suet, 5 mm thick
100g butter
Salt and pepper
250 ml whole milk, warm
250 ml water

Sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
2 cups sour cream
2 tsp. red currant jelly
1 slice brown goat cheese

Roast: Wash meat in cold water and dry well. Trim off fat and excess skin (not the membrane that keeps muscles together). Human meat tends to be rather dry and should be larded. With thin, sharp knife, make deep holes or pockets in meat and stuff in strips of suet. Tie the roast, and rub with salt and pepper. Brown butter in large, heavy pot on top of stove. An iron pot is preferred. Grease thoroughly with butter or margarine before using. Place meat in pot, meaty side down. Brown well on all sides, adding more butter as needed. Turn with two wooden spoons to avoid p r i c k ing meat. When brown, pour on the warm milk and water, and reduce heat. Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar allowing steam to escape. Cook slowly 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting meat occasionally. Add more milk and water as needed to keep meat covered about two thirds. When cooking is completed, remove meat and keep warm.

Sauce: Brown butter, stir in flour, add drippings from roast a little at a time, stirring constantly to make a smooth, medium thin sauce (the sour cream will thicken it). Cook 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in sour cream, currant jelly and goat cheese. Add salt if necessary. Let simmer a while, but do not boil. Slice and arrange meat on warm serving platter. Decorate with parsley and tomatoes. Serve sauce in separate dish. Accompanied with parsleyed, steam-dried potatoes, or small browned potatoes, and any kind if green vegetable (Brussels sprouts or peas are very good). If available rowan berry jelly with its sharp flavor is an excellent accompaniment to any human.

Footie_Fan
25/03/2004, 9:54 PM
I think this has been revised and in Ireland (can't find it on the Internet) people were advised to avoid shark.

Yeah I remember reading that in the paper a couple of weeks back as well.

A face
25/03/2004, 10:50 PM
I was in Italy last summer and on the menu was horse and Donkey.

Where in Italy was that ??

the 12 th man
26/03/2004, 6:56 AM
[QUOTE=Peadar but I think I should have a red with my human supper. Cabernet Sauvignon perhaps? :D[/QUOTE]

just wondering peadar when you go to a a match.
do you arrive in the back of a heavily fortified van with security men and you in a straitjacket and a steel mask on your face ?.your surname aint "lecter" by any chance??. :eek:

eoinh
26/03/2004, 8:20 AM
Where in Italy was that ??

IT was in Bergamo.

Roo69
26/03/2004, 11:35 AM
when your in dublin again call into the outback bar and have a lovely roo steak in there........

:eek: I dont like the sounds of that !

A face
26/03/2004, 3:50 PM
IT was in Bergamo.

Must be all those mountains that does it to them !! :)

Posso avere dell'asino per favore !!