PDA

View Full Version : Rovers vs Galway

Pages : [1] 2

Only1Rovers
19/03/2010, 8:34 AM
So a win tonight is needed to maintain the momentum so far this season. A clean bill of health is being reported which is nice, SRFC.com says;

"Conor O’Grady and Mark Donninger are pushing for spots in the starting XI after substitute appearances last week in the 1-1 draw with Sporting Fingal."

I'm looking forward to seeing the likes of McKenzie and Curren too.

Seanie C should help put a few more bums on seats...

jamie m
19/03/2010, 8:36 AM
Well what do people think about this one? A game we really should be looking to get the 3 points from. I cant really comment on the Fingal peformance as wasnt at it but going on what others have said a change in centre midfield might be needed, maybe give lads like Dillon/Donninger/O Grady a start. Anyway i reckon 2-1 Rovers
Preview here
http://sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=877:team-news-for-galway-game&catid=13:news&Itemid=246

Mayo Red
19/03/2010, 8:50 AM
I think too we should be well capable of taking all 3 points from this one so I'll go for an optimistic 2-1 to Rovers aswell. Time we got our first win on the board after the performances so far!

dong
19/03/2010, 9:22 AM
Two threads on this now after not a word all week.

Only1Rovers
19/03/2010, 9:24 AM
it's a disgrace!

avvenalaf
19/03/2010, 10:49 AM
So a win tonight is needed to maintain the momentum so far this season. A clean bill of health is being reported which is nice, SRFC.com says;

"Conor O’Grady and Mark Donninger are pushing for spots in the starting XI after substitute appearances last week in the 1-1 draw with Sporting Fingal."

I'm looking forward to seeing the likes of McKenzie and Curren too.

Seanie C should help put a few more bums on seats...

Well there will be one bum on a seat in the Galway dug out.

redbuli
19/03/2010, 12:07 PM
it will be interesting to see how many attend, hopefully the shams game wasnt a one off,

a large crowd that sees a convincing win tonight would set us up nicely for the season,

team still has to be settled on, especially central midfield, lots of options though

sligoman
19/03/2010, 7:35 PM
We should definitely be winning this one, Galway are muck and no excuse for not being able to beat them.

Redkenrover
19/03/2010, 8:02 PM
Two threads on this now after not a word all week.
And two forums as well!

Nah Nah Nah Nah
20/03/2010, 8:49 AM
2 0 to the bitored I think (hope). Amond to get both. Donninger or O'Grady in for Ventre and Dillon to start ahead of McCabe

Well Red
20/03/2010, 10:44 AM
A win this evening puts us in third spot at least overnight and hope that Dundalk and Shams draw or at the worst a win for Dundalk as I do not think they will be a force come the run in and I expect Shamrock will.

bingoballs
20/03/2010, 11:13 AM
Rovers to win 3-1, Amond to score first

gladys
20/03/2010, 9:35 PM
can anyone tell me how tonights game went and who played well?

sligoman
20/03/2010, 10:23 PM
It wasn't pretty but job done!

Dublin Red
20/03/2010, 10:35 PM
A wins a win! Bring on Dalymount!

avvenalaf
21/03/2010, 1:05 AM
No. it wasn't pretty but it still represents a decent start to the season. We lack any creativity in misfield. Turner would have scored tonight and Raf would have had two. Blinkers continues to put in a fierce shift and Doyle played well. Don't think Brushie had a shot to save all night. Amazed that Galway didn't continue to come down the left in the second half as O'Brien had Pele in all sorts of bother in the first. Big crowd and team's effort could not be faulted. MOTM - Blinkhorn by a country mile.

CarrickFan
21/03/2010, 2:01 AM
Thought we played well first 20 and should have been 1 or 2 up..then things went peared shaped..we made Ciaran Foley look like Roy keane at times!!..got the goal and hung on for the win so happy with that...delighted to see Ventre out of the midfield..as i posted here before i thought he'd be better at full back..i was wrong..he was abysmal there also...very disappointed to see someone in the crowd berate Cookie during the game and him to respond.

rovers100%
21/03/2010, 8:17 AM
the fella who had a go at cook was sitting in players and officals section. wonder who he was, it was very funny but cook should not respond to fans. he just needs to concentrate on the job in hand and forget about any heckling. galway are a poor side. we played ok without ever looking dangerous. ventre was muck, donninger is no where near match fit so hard to judge. i was suprised to see ryan subbed he was the better of the 2 central midfielders. mccabe has failed to do much so far this season and dillon will push him for the wing spot i feel. doyle to me is average but he has a great knack of popping up in the right place to score vital goals !!!

Well Red
21/03/2010, 8:19 AM
A fair start but scoring is going to be a problem with the present set up, either Blinkhorn starts to take more shots on or someone finishes his lay offs but very hard to know where the goals are going to come from. Not complaining, just commenting on the situation up front.

red arrow
21/03/2010, 8:48 AM
a decent start to the season as stated already. missed the first 20 min due to club commitments but thought the the period i watched in the 1st half was scrappy. we should have scored via doyle. at start of second half was in the section where that numbskull started to berate cook. of course cooke should have not responded but i suppose it was the heat of the moment. at least the other people in that section started to shout the numbskull down.i thought we were better in the 2nd half and connor had a decent game when he came on and likewise dillon. i moved from the stand with about 15 min to go and went behind the naz house goals. it was very difficult to judge game from here but i though we got some good ball into the box but nobody on hand to finish. for what its worth i am going to express my opinion. the defence is good & solid with brushie excellent. there still has to be a lot of sorting out done in midfield (but it will improve) we will struggle to score up front. we do create but we need more players to shoot , there was a lack of responsibility to do this last night. i don't mean to be critical in any shape or form & i know we have the nucleaus to have a good side. remember we have a lot of young players and a decent start like this will instil confidence & belief. when rusell gets fit he will be a great addition as he is very creative. overall i'm happy enough

Only1Rovers
21/03/2010, 9:40 AM
I was impressed with Mauro when he came on. Last night was the first game I've seen. But the back 4 that finished looked our best. I was impressed with the effort of Daveron. Conor made a difference when he came in to midfield. I was dissapointed with Donninger, he had an oppertinity to shoot with the goal open infront of him but he looked for a lay off to Podge. He must be still finding his feet considering he was so highly rated at Newcastle.

nj2010
21/03/2010, 11:01 AM
new to the forum lads. was at game last nite. if we continue wit ventre at right back, we are going to start concedin lots of goals when we come up against better sides. start the next game wit the defence that finished that one hopefully. also disapointin to seein us resorting to long high balls up so often.blinkhorn done well, but its asking a lot of him to do this week in week out

showgies
21/03/2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know whether to be worried about the performance or happy we picked up 3 points when laying so poorly. It amused me to hear a few in the crowd saying we have no midfield.......of course we don't the fecking ball by passed them on most occassions. What is it with this lumping balls up to the front two all the time. Thomas Heary (probably one of the worst centre halves in the league) had one of his easiest games and was made look half decent.

On the positive, the back five were solid, and when Keane went right-back we at least had some threat going forward. we never really looked like conceding. I too was surprised by the subsitution of Ryan instead of Donninger, who certainly looks a little unfit.

Cook should not react to the crowd, despite what may or may not have been said........he should leave that sort of behaviour to Mr Connor (who probably had a few giggles to himself when he saw it happening).

One more positive......the Match Programme......I think the programme really looks the part now and must be one of the best in the league. Well done to all involved especially to those who made a contribution to it !!!

MMVIII
21/03/2010, 11:18 AM
We didn't play that great, but we won. I think thats what we were lacking last season. Thought Pele played poor again. Donniger looked lost in the middle. Apart from that everyone else played ok. I honestly taught McCabe played well, he wasn't afraid to take on players and yes, he lost the ball a few times, but people gave out about Cash last season for not taking on players so I dont see why people are complaining.

Next week will be a big test and confidence should be high after winning last night. If we can get some sort of a result, it'll have been a very good start to the season IMO.

Sean South
21/03/2010, 12:42 PM
FR08 vs Galway

http://www.forzarovers.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=74747709

Sligo city skyline and a play on the words of the county motto

MMVIII
21/03/2010, 1:39 PM
Forgot to say this earlier, I thought it was a very nice touch to play the speech of Johnny Chadda. Don't know if it was played at the Shams game or not, but I think its a very fitting tribute.

SRFCbrothelutd
21/03/2010, 4:32 PM
Was there a big crowd?

red arrow
21/03/2010, 5:02 PM
just over 2000

Well Red
21/03/2010, 6:38 PM
Perfect result to day at Tallagh as I said earlier Shams will be there at the end of season but Dundalk will probably have lost all their team between red and yellow cards, just like last season, five more yellow today for them and in fairness some terrible referring decisions in favour of the Hoops today but whats new. Cant wait for the Bohs match, they are not unbeatable and we have had a great run against them last season. Sorry this post has got away from the original thread but wins for Sligo have that effect and the mind starts to ramble.

redarmyfaction
21/03/2010, 7:22 PM
FR08 vs Galway

http://www.forzarovers.net/apps/photos/photo?photoid=74747709

Sligo city skyline and a play on the words of the county motto

Very impressive banner, the Land of Hearts desire is taken from the title of a Yeats Play, and it surely beats the new tourism slogan "So Sligo" or the last one "sligo is suprising. I mean who comes up with this Sh1te and why use it when you have a Yeats one.

bingoballs
21/03/2010, 10:06 PM
I was happy with that performance last night. We were solid at the back, I didn't think we were over run in midfield and we are creating chances. The first half was poor but I felt we grew in confidence as the second half progressed.
I thought both Ryan and Donninger played well, at least Donninger isn't afraid to get into the box and looks forward to pass the ball instead of turning back. Amond and Blinkhorn, who was immense, both look sharp and will develop a decent partnership I am sure.
McCabe looks very light and Doyle was poor enough but in fairness to him, he takes his chances.
Dillon looks like a potential star and I would like to see him get more game time.
We are hard to beat, we are creating chances, we have our first win of the season, happy days.

avvenalaf
21/03/2010, 10:30 PM
Very impressive banner, the Land of Hearts desire is taken from the title of a Yeats Play, and it surely beats the new tourism slogan "So Sligo" or the last one "sligo is suprising. I mean who comes up with this Sh1te and why use it when you have a Yeats one.

The land of hearts desire has been used in a previous campaign

Guts&Glory
21/03/2010, 11:05 PM
A bit contradictory to say get off players backs and gove them a chance to settle in and then give McCabe and Donninger 4 out of 10.

http://www.thebitored.com/?p=1201

sligorover
22/03/2010, 2:35 AM
Surely if 'Sligo is surprising' the tourist board isn't doing their job right!;)

Couldn't make it to the game but have heard some worrying things about the performance. Three points is all that matters in the end though and hopefully some lessons have been learned from it. Theres a lot of new faces this season but this team will click at some stage, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Slightly off topic but can anyone explain to me why we still see so little of Marshall? He looks like creating something every time hes on the ball and can take his chances as well. I'd love to see him given a chance to prove himself, think he'll be a great player for us.

Only1Rovers
22/03/2010, 7:16 AM

Só Sligo is the title of the food festival that was taking place in town over the weekend, very succesfull by all accounts. There's more to Sligo than Yeats who never once attended the Showgrounds!!!!!!!

Mayo Red
22/03/2010, 8:29 AM
Good start to the season so far, roll on Bohs away next. Should be interesting, maybe Raf will put away an OG for us!!;)

Only1Rovers
22/03/2010, 10:53 AM
Cook wasn't happy with the crowd reaction during the game.... It was only one person as far as I could see.....

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=38289

avvenalaf
22/03/2010, 12:47 PM
Só Sligo is the title of the food festival that was taking place in town over the weekend, very succesfull by all accounts. There's more to Sligo than Yeats who never once attended the Showgrounds!!!!!!!

Not so sure about that - surely the lines 'and I shall have some peace there' was penned after another night of watching Shams grab the points with an iffy penalty and an offside goal in the Showgies.

Knappagh Red
22/03/2010, 1:47 PM
Was Saturday night the first time we lined out without a Sligo native in the team?

dublinred
22/03/2010, 3:07 PM
Cook wasn't happy with the crowd reaction during the game.... It was only one person as far as I could see.....

Cook needs to get over it always going to get a few moaners , we have a lot of new players so will take a while for things to settle down , 3rd in league isn't a bad start although its beginning to look like points dropped against shams now as they don't seem to be any good again this year, we badly need a fast striker/midfielder to get into the box quicky aka what Raf was doing last season.

jc46
22/03/2010, 3:41 PM
Cook needs to get over it always going to get a few moaners , we have a lot of new players so will take a while for things to settle down , 3rd in league isn't a bad start although its beginning to look like points dropped against shams now as they don't seem to be any good again this year, we badly need a fast striker/midfielder to get into the box quicky aka what Raf was doing last season.
I agree with you. Cook should never engage with any supporter in the ground. We have made a good start to season and he needs to concentrate on his energies on getting the team prepared and leading them to the summit. So far he has done a great job. I heard Sean Connor being slagged on Sat night big time. I may not have agreed with the way he exited to Bohs but we must admit he put in the foundations of our professional set-up and left us in better shape than when he arrived at the Showgrounds.

Redie
22/03/2010, 4:15 PM
Was Saturday night the first time we lined out without a Sligo native in the team?

You must be joking.

A few years back we had a starting 11 and one of them was even Irish.

sligored
22/03/2010, 6:26 PM
raf was sitting in front of me in the main stand - he is still a rovers fan no matter who he plays for.
he celebrated the goal no less than any other supporter.

Rasputin
22/03/2010, 7:01 PM
I may not have agreed with the way he exited to Bohs but we must admit he put in the foundations of our professional set-up and left us in better shape than when he arrived at the Showgrounds.
Are you for real?
You do realise what he did to our entire under-age set up?

Redkenrover
22/03/2010, 7:21 PM

I was in the middle of the main stand and have to say I didnt take any notice of supporters booing the team. The crowd are always going to be tense especially when it looked like we were going to struggle to get a win against an average Galway side, despite having some good chances.
One individual in the players and officials section berated Cook when he took off Richie Ryan. He asked him what was he doing taking off the best midfielder in the league. Cook replied he was trying to win the game.
Personally I dont think Paul should get involved with supporters when they shout comments, he should concentrate on what he is paid to do, manage the team. If its successful he takes the credit, if not he shoulders the blame. Thats why he is the manager and picks the team, not the guy in the stand. Every home game there are 2000 managers with an opinion in the showgrounds.

jc46
22/03/2010, 7:52 PM
Are you for real?
You do realise what he did to our entire under-age set up?
Sorry, was unaware of any wrong doings with under age set up. Just observed him taking us from the depths of first division to competing with the best in the premier.

Redkenrover
22/03/2010, 8:03 PM
Sorry, was unaware of any wrong doings with under age set up. Just observed him taking us from the depths of first division to competing with the best in the premier.

Think it also has to be remembered the when Connor was at the showgrounds his wage budget was significantly increased. While I'm not saying he didnt bring us on to a different level, he was given more money than his predecessors to spend on better quality players.

Rasputin
22/03/2010, 8:30 PM
Aye he did but he decemated the under age set up, setting it back years tbh.
He left that very much weaker than what it was before.
As for his success, aye he did well but with the budget we had in comparison to the rest of division he wasnt exactly punching above his weight.

Knappagh Red
23/03/2010, 4:52 AM
There's more to Sligo than Yeats who never once attended the Showgrounds!!!!!!!

He lived accross the road from the Showgrounds though, probably went to the circus

Knappagh Red
23/03/2010, 4:53 AM
You must be joking.

A few years back we had a starting 11 and one of them was even Irish.

What year? and name the team