PDA

View Full Version : importing a car from the uk

max power
24/03/2004, 1:05 PM
is it worth it ?? i'm changing my car soon and am thinkin of bringing ne in from the uk, with vrt etc it will still work out a lot cheaper.....but is it worth it for all the hastle of going over, picking out the car, all the paper work etc....or am i just being lazy...

Peadar
24/03/2004, 1:46 PM
is it worth it ?

It used to be that second hand cars in the Yoo Kay were typically better than they were here because of better roads, MOT etc. but I think that has changed a lot recently. Second hand cars in Ireland are reasonably good these days.
Nissan sell their used cars with a warranty as far as I know so I assume most other dealers do too? For my money you'd be better off buying here where you have certain amount of comeback.

max power
24/03/2004, 1:49 PM
but at the higher end of the market, you get a lot more extras and there is a serious difference on the price when imported.....

SÓC
24/03/2004, 2:11 PM
Nissan sell their used cars with a warranty as far as I know so I assume most other dealers do too

Look they've got inside Peadar's head already. Sponsorship works!

Support our Sponsors, drink and drive.

Macy
24/03/2004, 2:16 PM
Look they've got inside Peadar's head already. Sponsorship works!

Support our Sponsors, drink and drive.
Nah, Max has already said he wants a top of the range Micra ;)

Peadar
24/03/2004, 2:23 PM
but at the higher end of the market, you get a lot more extras

True but there's no value in the Yo Yo when converting to Sturling at the moment.

max power
24/03/2004, 2:26 PM
ah now macy with my millions its a merc or bmw i'm after........

Peadar
24/03/2004, 2:30 PM
If you're "after" a car then we must therefore assume there's a car before you, and you know what they say, "The car infront is a Toyota." :D

max power
24/03/2004, 2:35 PM
my god that was a bad joke !!! na i was looking at a certain model here and on www.cargiant.co.uk ( where a lot of friends in london have purchased already) there was a difference of 6k in the price and there car in the uk had alloys and leather interior as well, shows even with exchange rates, vrt, etc we are still ripped off in a big way !!!

pete
24/03/2004, 2:35 PM
I don't think there much money to be saved as the Customs man will screw anyway he can. AFAIR they will charge you VAT/VRT based on what they think the car work in Ireland which means yopu won't know til you try to bring in. IMO think you'd have to be spending a lot of money to make worth your while. So much for the Common market :rolleyes:

Maybe the Derry lads could sort you out with UK knowledge ;)

Peadar
24/03/2004, 2:45 PM
( where a lot of friends in london have purchased already) If you could afford the car now but could manage without it for six months you could get your mates to keep it for you and then bring it home after owning it in England for six months or more.

max power
24/03/2004, 2:50 PM
yeah i know and if i could that is what i would do, i can bring in a commerical for almost nothing, but i want a car not a jeep/van

Peadar
24/03/2004, 2:58 PM
but i want a car not a jeep/van
All self respecting Jocks have Jeeps :D
You could just transfer to one of the offices in London and buy your car while your there. They sell Krispie Kremes in Harrods now. You'd be sorted...

max power
24/03/2004, 3:02 PM
na you have to do dome work over there, wouldn't suit me at all........had a jeep a few years ago, but bought a golf instead, but now i'm getting old and fancy a nice old mans car.....

Peadar
24/03/2004, 3:07 PM
na you have to do dome work over there
The only one doing any work over there was me and you can rest assured I wont be going back there so you'd have nothing to worry about.

Just get yourself a Nissan Primera?
Nice sensible car.

Macy
24/03/2004, 3:18 PM
Ummmm, remember a big wave of purchasers coming the other way a few years back, and importing them to the UK from Ireland - think they had a much less punitive vehicle taxation system and sterling was strong.
Also that's to do with the basic price being less here as the manufacturers are trying to lower the prices after (the illegal) VRT.

max power
24/03/2004, 3:22 PM
kills me to say this but i agree with macy, vrt is just a tax brought in to replace vat to keep money coming in when the common market opened....wouldn't buy a "rally" car, too many muppet mobles on the road already..there is a thread starter, muppet mobles....

pete
24/03/2004, 3:26 PM
Example:

Base Price (10k) + VRT (e.g. 25%) = 12.5k + VAT 21% = 15k

Clearest form of tax on a tax in this country.

:eek:

UK folks can buy lower base price motor here & then just pay their own VAT on way the room.

Dricky
24/03/2004, 3:30 PM
I'm trying to import one from Lux at the moment.
If you have it at an address for 6months (ie family or your own address) from the date of delivery you are exempt from paying Irish Vat and VRT as you have paid in the uk but when you wish to sell it you will have to VAT on that.

if you can do it that way you save money otherwise it is not worth it. PM me if you need more details

max power
24/03/2004, 3:32 PM
you don't pay the vat, just vrt..to the best of my knowledge, i got the spec on the car i wanted and rang them up and they gave me a price of 8k to bring the car in to the country, and i think it was costing me 19k (euro 0 to purchase it over in london...so 27 k altogether and the same car was 31 to 34 k over here with a lower spec, that is the difference i'm talkin about...

Macy
24/03/2004, 3:32 PM
From 19/09/02.... :rolleyes:

(20:07) The European Court of Justice has ruled that aspects of vehicle registration tax constitute a form of double taxation and are therefore illegal under the EU treaty.

The ruling came after a Finnish citizen took a case against his own government.

He claimed that by levying vehicle registration tax on a used car he had imported into Finland, the government was taxing the same product twice, because the tax ignored the value of the tax already paid on the car in another member state.

The court ruled that the VRT law in Finland conflicts with the EU treaty, and is illegal. The ruling may affect the operation of VRT in Ireland, which also charges high rates of VRT.

The European Commission two weeks ago called for the abolition of vehicle registration tax.

The Commission said in the interim, states should ensure that their VRT systems did not discriminate by imposing a double taxation burden on motorists importing second hand cars from other member states.

tiktok
24/03/2004, 3:38 PM
a friend recently went throught he process to bring a mini cooper back from england, about four months ago so sterling was strong at the time.

he was a little unsure about buying without seeing it himself, so spent a few weekends looking around and in his opinion, the standards of second hand cars there was much higher, because of the roads and (sweeping generalisation) the english taking better care of their cars due to a long history of the MOT test.

in the end what it came down to was that for the same money the equivalent car in England was laden with extras and likely to last him longer (or allow a better resale value).

i guess one thing to remember in this case is that it was a mini, which are still relatively rare here while common across the water and they're usually bought by people who love the cars and lavish attention on them so it was likely to be in good condition. but he did save over 2500 on what he would have paid here. I'll find out if he paid VAT.

what type of car are you thinking about?

max power
24/03/2004, 3:43 PM
just had a chat with a few heads here at work and we have double taxation agreements with a number of countries so its agreed with them that its ok and we also have certain european opt outs which i believe us and the uk are using within taxation areas....i might delve deeper this evening and see what i can find

i am lookin at two cars

merc e220 cdi

bmw 320d touring

Macy
24/03/2004, 3:55 PM
i guess one thing to remember in this case is that it was a mini, which are still relatively rare here while common across the water and they're usually bought by people who love the cars and lavish attention on them so it was likely to be in good condition.
:D You wouldn't be saying that if you'd seen the one's some of my mates had! Only really since the brought the new one I'd say.

brendy_éire
24/03/2004, 7:16 PM
Have ye considered buying from the continent? AFAIK, there's some French dealers around Calais and other ports selling right-hand drive cars for English people going over. Get a cheap flight and drive it back?
My uncle recently imported his car from Germany which was also right-hand drive, think he might have bought it direct from a large wholesaler who distributes them throughout Europe. It's worth looking around the place, ye could save tons.

pete
25/03/2004, 9:29 AM
Have ye considered buying from the continent./QUOTE]

Ireland is rumoured to have lowish base price plus the fact will have to pay VRT on top of whatever buy motor for in France won't make that an attractive option.

[QUOTE]
i am lookin at two cars
merc e220 cdi
bmw 320d touring

Probably savings to be made there alright as bigger cars depreciate quickly in first few years & less demand for large 2nd hand cars.

max power
25/03/2004, 9:32 AM
eh ever tried buying a merc in dublin/ireland...every taxi driver in dublin is driving one these day s, which is pushing up the second hand prices on top of the mad price they were in the first place, but i do agree small cars depreciate slower, but high end brands come out on top in the end....

SÓC
25/03/2004, 2:43 PM
On the VRT, for used cars you really can kick and scream to get a lower bill, there was a case a few years ago where a finish fella called Antti Siilin took a case against Finland who have the same VRT laws we do. ECJ pretty much said that VRT on used cars has to be low or non-existant.

max power
25/03/2004, 2:54 PM
i like the lettuce link.......your going down !!!!

SÓC
25/03/2004, 3:18 PM
i like the lettuce link.......your going down !!!!

It just shows you how wonderful lettuce is and all the things it could do.

I've had that link since the great lettuce war of 2004.

max power
25/03/2004, 3:21 PM
that war is not over, we are regrouping our troops and shall defeat the evil aramy of lettuce and its allies....macy you have been warned....

Macy
25/03/2004, 3:30 PM
that war is not over, we are regrouping our troops and shall defeat the evil aramy of lettuce and its allies....macy you have been warned....
Look if you attack mayonnaise, I'll turn a blind eye to the lettuce....

max power
25/03/2004, 3:38 PM
na i'm a big fan of mayo.....the food not the place.....but lettuce is evil and i will crush it !!!

SÓC
25/03/2004, 3:42 PM
na i'm a big fan of mayo.....the food not the place.....but lettuce is evil and i will crush it !!!

ummmm crushed lettuce with mayo, all your missing is the chicken and bacon bits.

Accept defeat or I'll plan lettuce seeds on the pitch in Flancare on Saturday week.

max power
25/03/2004, 3:47 PM
good, it might soak up some of the water !!!

back to the car thing....i am contacting the car tax office tomorrow to get guidelines on bringing a car into the country and a breakdown on how the vrt is calculated....if they don't come up with what i want i think i'll contact joe duffy for the craic or gerry ryan....

i think they just pull the number out of their head..

tiktok
26/03/2004, 2:06 PM
for the record, that friend of mine didn't have to pay VAT, some good news anyway