PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Republic's Top 50 Irish Players Vote

EastTerracer
16/03/2010, 11:51 PM
Soccer Republic have been running a poll to elect the Top 50 Irish internationals. So far they have revealed numbers 50 to 11 and it seems like the Top 10 will be announced in the next few days.

http://soccerrepublic.eircom.net/competitions/Top10.aspx

So far, the names selected are as follows:

50. Joe Haverty
49. John Joe Flood
48. Kevin Doyle
47. Jimmy O’Neill
46. Shay Brennan
45. Jim McDonagh
44. Alan Kelly Sr.
43. Alan Kelly Jr.
42. David Langan
41. Jim Beglin
40. Chris Hughton
39. Jason McAteer
38. Kevin Sheedy
37. Steve Finnan
36. John O’Shea
35. Tony Cascarino
34. Paddy Mulligan
33. Con Martin
32. Andy Townsend
31. Paddy Coad
30. Tony Dunne
29. Billy Whelan
28. Tommy Eglington
27. Mick McCarthy
26. Gary Kelly
25. Don Givens
24. Noel Cantwell
23. John Aldridge
22. Steve Heighway
21. Kevin Kilbane
20. David O’Leary
19. Kevin Moran
18. Steve Staunton
17. Charlie Hurley
16. Niall Quinn
15. Johnny Carey
14. Frank Stapleton
13. Mark Lawrenson
12. Damien Duff
11. Richard Dunne

I presume that leaves the following names as the Final 10 (the order is only my own guess)

Packie Bonner
Ronnie Whelan
Ray Houghton
Denis Irwin
Robbie Keane
Shay Given
John Giles
Liam Brady
Roy Keane
Paul McGrath

The top of the list is heavily weighted towards the last 20 years which is understandable given the increasing popularity of the game here over that time. I'm sure some of our elders would have some different names in there (Peter Farrell? Liam Tuohy?) but overall it seems a pretty good list.

Any thoughts?

irishfan86
17/03/2010, 1:58 AM
Kevin Kilbane better than Townsend?

I'd put Duff ahead of Dunne -- Duff has always been fantastic for Ireland, whereas Dunne has only really stepped up in the last couple of campaigns.

I'll be very interested to see who they select as No. 1.

Roy was probably the best Irish player of all time, but McGrath was the best player for the Irish team.

EastTerracer
17/03/2010, 4:13 PM
The Top-10 was announced today - no surprises really.

http://soccerrepublic.eircom.net/News/top-50-top10.aspx

10. Ronnie Whelan Jr
9. Ray Houghton
8. Denis Irwin
7. Packie Bonner
6. Robbie Keane
5. John Giles
4. Shay Given
3. Liam Brady
2. Roy Keane
1. Paul McGrath

I'm a little surprised that Shay sneaked ahead of Gilesey but there is always a slight bias towards recent years in these polls. If Saipan hadn't happened I think Roy would have pipped Paul for the top spot but there is nothing that can be done about that now.

gspain
17/03/2010, 5:50 PM
Jimmy Dunne or Paddy Moore didn't even make the cut. Indeed no pre WW2 player that I noticed (ok not counting Johnny Carey who was mainly postwar).

Adrock
17/03/2010, 6:11 PM
[QUOTE=irishfan86;1335115]Kevin Kilbane better than Townsend?

QUOTE]

Presuming you get credit for quantity of internationals over quality. Not done bad though getting to a hundred caps despite not ever really being an international class player.
The list is generally pretty accurate in most other respects, though I'd have rated Staunton in the top 10 to be sure........... you can't really hold it against him that he was such a clueless no-hoper as a manager.

OwlsFan
18/03/2010, 7:08 AM
The Top-10 was announced today - no surprises really.

http://soccerrepublic.eircom.net/News/top-50-top10.aspx

10. Ronnie Whelan Jr
9. Ray Houghton
8. Denis Irwin
7. Packie Bonner
6. Robbie Keane
5. John Giles
4. Shay Given
3. Liam Brady
2. Roy Keane
1. Paul McGrath

I'm a little surprised that Shay sneaked ahead of Gilesey but there is always a slight bias towards recent years in these polls. If Saipan hadn't happened I think Roy would have pipped Paul for the top spot but there is nothing that can be done about that now.

The surprise there is Packie Bonner. I wonder if the peno shoot against Romania hadn't taken place would he have featured? I suspect not. The back pass rule also finished his career. Good keeper but not one of the ten all time best players to play for Ireland.

Robbie Keane only at No. 6. If he didn't wave his arms around so much, he must be close to number one. I doubt if we'll ever see another goalscorer like him playing for Ireland.

geysir
18/03/2010, 9:27 AM
Imo the top 6 have been our best but I would not have them in that order.
A poll like that is going to be full of questions.
O'Leary's ice cool nerves of steel penalty under previously unknown levels of pressure is worth a good place but he didn't play much under Charlton.
Was it our 50 best player, as in best for us
or best Irish player as in club career and country?

Nice to see Joey Haverty in at nr.50 :)

gspain
18/03/2010, 12:52 PM
Noticed John Joe Flood did make it in from the prewar crew.

irishfan86
18/03/2010, 9:29 PM
Indeed, Stan should definitely be ahead of Richard Dunne. I believe Stan is the only Irish player to have played in every world cup game in the national side's history, and not only that, he played very well for the most part.

Lenny82
19/03/2010, 12:21 PM
No Gary Breen?????

Wolfie
19/03/2010, 12:27 PM
No Gary Breen?????

Harsh - Gary Breen speaks so highly of you - Lenny82!!!!

Only a handful of Irish Internationals to score in the World Cup Finals, for starters.