PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question...

Peadar
24/03/2004, 8:47 AM
This isn't a trick question.
What's the difference between a Marshall and a Steward?
No responses about Marshall Amps please.

tiktok
24/03/2004, 9:10 AM
i'm probably wrong but a steward is employed to look after the property (or conditions) of somebody else, Marshall is a military term primarily but refers more to a person who directs and organises, usually ceremonies etc. these days, like the grand marshall of a parade.

Peadar
24/03/2004, 9:30 AM
like the grand marshall of a parade.

Isn't the crowd at a car rally controlled by a marshall?

tiktok
24/03/2004, 9:36 AM
yeah i see where you're going, to take the rally example, you'd have a marshalls car, which leads the rally and lets you know it's starting, this would be the organising role, but those along the route who are there to protect the crowd/cars/property at individual locations would technically be stewards, not marshalls.

someone might correct me but this is my understanding of it Peadar.

i guess it comes down to how people doing these jobs like to refer to themselves.

Peadar
24/03/2004, 9:42 AM
but those along the route who are there to protect the crowd/cars/property at individual locations would technically be stewards, not marshalls

My family were involved in rallying when I was younger and I often stood a spectator points acting as "marshall." Used to have lovely day-glow Zanussi West Cork Rally bibs and Fasnet Rally bibs. The West Cork Rally was on again there over a week ago and I just got to thinking about the good old days.

tiktok
24/03/2004, 9:54 AM
hmm, now i'm just confused...:D

quick bit of googling...

Main Entry: Steward
Pronunciation: 'stü-&rd, 'styü-; 'st(y)u(-&)rd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English stIweard, from stI, stig hall, sty + weard ward -- more at STY, WARD
1 : one employed in a large household or estate to manage domestic concerns (as the supervision of servants, collection of rents, and keeping of accounts)

Main Entry: Marshall
Variant(s): also mar·shall /'mär-sh&l/
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French mareschal, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German marahscalc marshal, from marah horse + scalc servant
1 a : a high official in the household of a medieval king, prince, or noble originally having charge of the cavalry but later usually in command of the military forces b : a person who arranges and directs the ceremonial aspects of a gathering

I don't know where you'd keep rally cars in a medievial england but i hope it helps ;)

Peadar
24/03/2004, 11:01 AM
quick bit of googling...

From that you could nearly assume the term "Steward" is being used incorrectly in the case of a sporting event and that "Marshall" should indeed be used instead?

pete
24/03/2004, 11:29 AM
Steward:
One who manages another's property, finances, or other affairs.
One who is in charge of the household affairs of a large estate, club, hotel, or resort.
A ship's officer who is in charge of provisions and dining arrangements.
An attendant on a ship or airplane.
An official who supervises or helps to manage an event.
A shop steward.
A wine steward.

My Dictionary googling not finding anything fro Marshall.....