PDA

View Full Version : Bray v Fingal

Roo69
15/03/2010, 11:37 AM
One thing should be on the players mind - REVENGE :p

I'd go with the team that started the 2nd half against Galway last Friday.

Hulsey
15/03/2010, 1:07 PM
Both performances so far have been encouraging, only let down by a lack of penetration in front of goal. If we'd have taken half the chances we had in either game we'd have won at a canter. Can't fault any players for effort so far and if the lads don't let the heads drop and keep up the work we can suprise a few people this season. Remember in the 2008 season (which if I'm not mistaken was the clubs second highest ever league finish) we had to wait around 6 games before we got the first win against Harps (and also our first goal of the season) and came in 6th place. Keep the faith, this group of players all play for the shirt and will give 100% and as a fan maximum effort is all you can ask for.

melvin
15/03/2010, 1:21 PM
really looking forward to this game, our luck has to turn sooner or later with the lads playing well in the first two matches.

Roo69
15/03/2010, 1:36 PM
Both performances so far have been encouraging, only let down by a lack of penetration in front of goal. If we'd have taken half the chances we had in either game we'd have won at a canter. Can't fault any players for effort so far and if the lads don't let the heads drop and keep up the work we can suprise a few people this season. Remember in the 2008 season (which if I'm not mistaken was the clubs second highest ever league finish) we had to wait around 6 games before we got the first win against Harps (and also our first goal of the season) and came in 6th place. Keep the faith, this group of players all play for the shirt and will give 100% and as a fan maximum effort is all you can ask for.

What you said

rocket
15/03/2010, 2:56 PM
Lots to be really positive about from our first two starts, creating plenty of chances, we look like we could score a lot of goals this season,but at times in the Galway game we were very poor at the back, need to get Webster back A S A P

Roo69
15/03/2010, 3:35 PM
Lots to be really positive about from our first two starts, creating plenty of chances, we look like we could score a lot of goals this season,but at times in the Galway game we were very poor at the back, need to get Webster back A S A P

Galway are quite poor at the back alright. Heary is just terrible, no pace what so ever. At one stage, young O'Neill must have given him a good 7 or 8 yard head start and he still beat him to the ball. Next time O'Neill went to go by him, Heary clocked him with an elbow.

Webby will be a good addition to the squad alright, but Knight is looking very solid.

pineapple stu
15/03/2010, 3:41 PM
One thing should be on the players mind - REVENGE :p
Can you get revenge for them relegating you when they didn't relegate you?

Hulsey
15/03/2010, 4:16 PM

We can get revenge for them trying to ;) .
And there is the small matter of the cup semi-final aswell so we do definately owe them one

melvin
15/03/2010, 5:22 PM
i think o'neill is going to catch a few teams this year with his pace he's like a bullet! a couple of goals would do his confidence wonders. Him and doyle upfront could become a very good partnership!
Galway are quite poor at the back alright. Heary is just terrible, no pace what so ever. At one stage, young O'Neill must have given him a good 7 or 8 yard head start and he still beat him to the ball. Next time O'Neill went to go by him, Heary clocked him with an elbow.

Webby will be a good addition to the squad alright, but Knight is looking very solid.

Roo69
15/03/2010, 7:25 PM

They did relegate us, it was Cork's implosion that got us back in the Premier. Plus the fact of being dumped out of the cup semis by them as well should be enough motivation for them.

lowflyingseagul
16/03/2010, 9:36 AM
3 points is all that matters

The Lep
16/03/2010, 1:57 PM
They did relegate us, it was Cork's implosion that got us back in the Premier. Plus the fact of being dumped out of the cup semis by them as well should be enough motivation for them.

We didnt make you finish bottom of the Premier last year :)
That aside, apart from the game on friday all the best for the season and hope you stay up and not at our expense :)

melvin
16/03/2010, 3:30 PM
this is alittle bit sidetracked but with the talk of relegation on this thread... i was listening to the loi show on off the ball (newstalk) last week and there was suggestion that the two leagues may be merged together next year, this is not the first time i have heard this ,has anyone else heard anything like this and how likely is it?

rocket
16/03/2010, 4:51 PM
this is alittle bit sidetracked but with the talk of relegation on this thread... i was listening to the loi show on off the ball (newstalk) last week and there was suggestion that the two leagues may be merged together next year, this is not the first time i have heard this ,has anyone else heard anything like this and how likely is it?

Yeah, heard a couple of times theres a possibility of it going to a 16 team league next year,but dont know how true this is.

melvin
16/03/2010, 5:28 PM
Yeah, heard a couple of times theres a possibility of it going to a 16 team league next year,but dont know how true this is.
the 16 team league is what i heard aswell which would bring about the question of what would happen to the other six teams, possible mergers ?

pineapple stu
17/03/2010, 7:07 PM
Forgot about the Cup semi...

melvin
17/03/2010, 8:46 PM

probably better to forget it. dane massey is suspended for the match and ritchie baker doubtful, its gonna be tough but still think we will get something.

KK77
18/03/2010, 10:39 AM

Exactlly. The league table never lies.

Roo69
18/03/2010, 11:22 AM

Why?

What ever possible should be used to motivate a team before a game. It was an embarresing defeat that can be used in a team talk to help Gee up the players

Roo69
18/03/2010, 1:23 PM
In Team News, Massey is out suspended. Two things could happen here, Knight goes to left back and Webby comes back in at centre half OR David Tyrell will slot in at left back and leave Knight at centre back. Baker is a doubt as well, other than that we have a full squad.

Stephen Brennan and Mark O'Brien must be nearing full fitness id's say.

notever
18/03/2010, 7:49 PM
Looking forwrd to it anyway,especially after the performances in the first two games I just hope we can get a decent crowd and that they get behind the team.Come on you boys in green..........thats the supporters I mean......lets give the team real vocal support,let them know we are there for them.......

Bray Head
18/03/2010, 7:52 PM
In Team News, Massey is out suspended. Two things could happen here, Knight goes to left back and Webby comes back in at centre half OR David Tyrell will slot in at left back and leave Knight at centre back. Baker is a doubt as well, other than that we have a full squad.

Stephen Brennan and Mark O'Brien must be nearing full fitness id's say.

Has Brennan signed back ?

Roo69
18/03/2010, 9:23 PM
Has Brennan signed back ?

Well i saw him at a few pre season games and then he was togged out in full training gear before the Dundalk game doing training.

melvin
19/03/2010, 12:54 PM
Well i saw him at a few pre season games and then he was togged out in full training gear before the Dundalk game doing training.
he's not listed as a squad member on the wanderers website although that doesnt mean he hasnt signed. i think he would be a good player to have in the squad hes a good scrapper and in some games thats exactly what we need.

naoise kennedy
19/03/2010, 9:27 PM
Not a good match,, firstly surprised that daz started instead of webby, again bad mistakes and good movement from fingal let in three goals,, shane in defense looked ok at times but overall the defense did not play well.. midfield shiels got stuck in and looked the best player in mid field, i think kavanagh looked out of place too many times and did not read the game well..
i'm not just knocking james but he was the worst of a bad bunch,, great to see shane finally getting his first goal, its always the hardest but i think the game got to robbie tonight he did not have a good game at all..
well done to fingal they were no doubt the better team all over the field and could cause a few surprises this year....

sandman
19/03/2010, 9:42 PM
Where is the Pablo Rodriguez from?

naoise kennedy
19/03/2010, 10:02 PM
Where is the Pablo Rodriguez from?

i was talking to dane massey and all he knew was spain,, i think we could guess that,, he did not say which team he played for before over here or in spain..

lowflyingseagul
20/03/2010, 8:46 AM
really poor performance, fingal look like they could score every time they went forward

melvin
20/03/2010, 9:36 AM
fingal look very fast and dangerous on the break. we were caught twice on the right hand side with two goals that were nearly identical (dont think eddie will be too happy with that) going forward we once again kept trying the ball over the top for shane to get onto unfortunately didnt work and there wasnt really a plan b. robbie seem to be affected by the slagging he was getting from the fingal fans because he never got out of second gear. ritchie was a bit off the pace last night aswell. however we do need to be patient this team was put together for the first division so patience is the name of the game. on a positive note thought pablo rodriguez put himself about well when he came on.

Seagull
20/03/2010, 12:44 PM
fingal look very fast and dangerous on the break. we were caught twice on the right hand side with two goals that were nearly identical (dont think eddie will be too happy with that) going forward we once again kept trying the ball over the top for shane to get onto unfortunately didnt work and there wasnt really a plan b. robbie seem to be affected by the slagging he was getting from the fingal fans because he never got out of second gear. ritchie was a bit off the pace last night aswell. however we do need to be patient this team was put together for the first division so patience is the name of the game. on a positive note thought pablo rodriguez put himself about well when he came on.

We looked way too lightweight, Knight was a disaster at left full. Long balls pumped up to O'Neill, what's the point of that? We saw the real Robbie Doyle last night too, that's why he's been hopping from team to team. We need a miracle...

rocket
21/03/2010, 2:19 PM
We looked way too lightweight, Knight was a disaster at left full. Long balls pumped up to O'Neill, what's the point of that? We saw the real Robbie Doyle last night too, that's why he's been hopping from team to team. We need a miracle...

really poor performance,never got one decent ball into Oneill all night, our defence was shocking,hard to see where we are going to get our first points from in the upcoming games when we have no playmaker and such a poor back four.

Captain2007
21/03/2010, 6:20 PM
Tacticially we got it wrong, we played 4-2-3-1 to match up against Fingal (same in Cup-semi), Bray are renown for a 4-4-2 system which they have been successful for decades, Fingal played a Centre back at left full, we played Richie Baker tucked inside in a middle 3, he would been more effective playing up against Paisley wide right, IMO we showed them too much respect, Shane was isolated up front on his own, as we usually do we changed it when we concede a couple of goals and throw on the extra forward and finish the game stronger when we should start with 2 strikers and let them worry about us after all we are at home, Kavanagh for me has to improve, his set-pieces were very poor.

naoise kennedy
21/03/2010, 7:16 PM

we need a miracle.......... very strong words. i think too strong, yes we were weak and those long balls up to shane were going now where and 'the real robbie doyle' came out at this match.. i would agree that robbie did not have a good game and i think the night got to him,, but,, he did show in his first two matches that he has alot to give and to teach to shane, yes he is unpredictable but he has got an extra edge that could turn a defense and create a goal.. maybe he would be better on the wings with pablo knocking those long balls down to shane..
these lads need time and encouragement to gel together, its only there third match and they where meant to be a first division team.. yes it was a very bad performance but give them a break, at least we are not rovers with huge more expectations..

Seagull
21/03/2010, 7:43 PM
we need a miracle.......... very strong words. i think too strong, yes we were weak and those long balls up to shane were going now where and 'the real robbie doyle' came out at this match.. i would agree that robbie did not have a good game and i think the night got to him,, but,, he did show in his first two matches that he has alot to give and to teach to shane, yes he is unpredictable but he has got an extra edge that could turn a defense and create a goal.. maybe he would be better on the wings with pablo knocking those long balls down to shane..
these lads need time and encouragement to gel together, its only there third match and they where meant to be a first division team.. yes it was a very bad performance but give them a break, at least we are not rovers with huge more expectations..

Well we certainly don't have huge more expectations! We'll only stay up if there's one or two others as weak as we are or another club goes ballistic. Three games, zero points, I'm struggling to see the positives here. But it's early days and I suppose there's hope (of a miracle!).

naoise kennedy
21/03/2010, 8:51 PM
[QUOTE=Seagull;1336887]Well we certainly don't have huge more expectations!

rovers finished second last season and this year they expected to be up there with bohs, they only have 1 point from three games,, ok more then us, but i'm sure they have much more expectations than that,, i am not expecting too much from this bray team a few draws or wins in our own mini league.. i'm not looking for a miracle after one bad performance..

rocket
21/03/2010, 9:01 PM
Well we certainly don't have huge more expectations! We'll only stay up if there's one or two others as weak as we are or another club goes ballistic. Three games, zero points, I'm struggling to see the positives here. But it's early days and I suppose there's hope (of a miracle!).

Get webster, massey, and Brennan out there . Why cant we try get ball into oneills feet and let him use his pace, one ball to feet friday night and he scores, same as pre season 4 goals 4 games all balls to feet,come on eddie, its not rocket science

KK77
22/03/2010, 10:23 AM
Relax everyone Eddie said he's only worried about performances at the moment. Wonder when he will be worried about the points you need to put on the board to stay in the league. I am confused.

melvin
22/03/2010, 11:43 AM
Relax everyone Eddie said he's only worried about performances at the moment. Wonder when he will be worried about the points you need to put on the board to stay in the league. I am confused.

not time to hit the panic button!...just yet. we now have a massive game against ucd this week that is crucial we take something from because sooner or later teams like shamrock rovers and drogheda will grab some points and leave us in there dust. i dont want to be harsh on the team but its going to take more than high balls over the top to beat teams and if this is the "performances" eddie is talking about we are in trouble. there are some good players at bray which played some great stuff in the first two games we need to get to playing like that against ucd.

BrayUnknowns
22/03/2010, 11:50 AM

Quite harsh seeing as he is doing all of O'Neill's donkey work. 3 games he has played for us so far he has done pretty much all of O'Neills tracking back, closing down etc. Doyle can he a bit of a lose cannon at times and should score more goals but one thing he cannot be faulted for his the effort he puts in on the pitch, always gives 100%.

O'Neill to me reminds me of a mix of 2 players - young Zayed without the strength or positional sense and Franco - when things don't go his way he mopes around the pitch and lets it get to him. He just does not like the working hard side of the game what so ever and he has benn bullied pretty much off the park in each game so far. He needs to toughen himself up a bit and starting working for the team more.

We need experience in the team, its as simple as that, we cannot expect to win games with the amount of teenagers in the team. But take nothing away from Fimngal, they are a very good side, much much better than the one that beat us so easily 3 times last season.

pineapple stu
22/03/2010, 1:23 PM
Why?

What ever possible should be used to motivate a team before a game. It was an embarresing defeat that can be used in a team talk to help Gee up the players
Think you mis-read my post there, Roo.

Weatherman
23/03/2010, 2:51 PM
Quite harsh seeing as he is doing all of O'Neill's donkey work. 3 games he has played for us so far he has done pretty much all of O'Neills tracking back, closing down etc. Doyle can he a bit of a lose cannon at times and should score more goals but one thing he cannot be faulted for his the effort he puts in on the pitch, always gives 100%.

O'Neill to me reminds me of a mix of 2 players - young Zayed without the strength or positional sense and Franco - when things don't go his way he mopes around the pitch and lets it get to him. He just does not like the working hard side of the game what so ever and he has benn bullied pretty much off the park in each game so far. He needs to toughen himself up a bit and starting working for the team more.

Shane O'Neill doesnt track back that much because he's at his best when he is on the shoulder of the last defender where he can use his pace to get into goalscoring positions??? What would be the point in Robbie Doyle playing further up the pitch than Shane when he couldnt even win a race against Pat Dolan never mind the likes of Liam Burns!! You have to look at the bigger picture Bray's squad are in no position to control games at this stage so they need to keep young Shane as far up as they can so when they do eventually get the ball in midfield there able to play it through to him. IMO he has been Brays best player this year and i dont agree with ye that he does not like the working hard side of the game?? all the opponents go out to break him up because they know he's the danger man and he's been on the other end of bad tackles, dangerous tackles nearly twice every match. you can be the hardest footballer but of course ur going to feel the effects of that every game!

BrayUnknowns
23/03/2010, 3:48 PM
Shane O'Neill doesnt track back that much because he's at his best when he is on the shoulder of the last defender where he can use his pace to get into goalscoring positions??? What would be the point in Robbie Doyle playing further up the pitch than Shane when he couldnt even win a race against Pat Dolan never mind the likes of Liam Burns!! You have to look at the bigger picture Bray's squad are in no position to control games at this stage so they need to keep young Shane as far up as they can so when they do eventually get the ball in midfield there able to play it through to him. IMO he has been Brays best player this year and i dont agree with ye that he does not like the working hard side of the game?? all the opponents go out to break him up because they know he's the danger man and he's been on the other end of bad tackles, dangerous tackles nearly twice every match. you can be the hardest footballer but of course ur going to feel the effects of that every game!

I'd have to totally disagee with you there on several points. Yes O'Neill has serious pace but we have not utilised it what so ever in the 3 league games so far, maybe once or twice but nothing like we should be using it. When he is up front on his own he is completely isolated and looses pretty much ever ball in the air and is not strong enough to hold it up, when he loses the ball he then fails to track back. It is a team game and he needs to learn that side of the game, he needs to listen to the more experienced lads in the team instead of letting his head drop.

O'Neill has taken one bad tackle so far, last Friday against Sporting, but it was not malicious, just mis-timed. What i am talking about is his inability to be able to stand up to players physically. He gets shouldered and pushed al over the place, he needs to be smarter when in situations like that.

There is no doubting he is a real star but he needs to work on a lot of different aspects of his game, especially working more for the team.

melvin
23/03/2010, 4:38 PM
would it be worth considering even though we have only seen twenty minutes of him, to play pablo rodriguez and shane up front with robbie just behind them? play 3 midfielders in behind them. this way we get the pace of shane, pablo is a big lad (dont know how good he is in the air but looked to be a handful against fingal) and robbie can pick out the passes behind them and have a bit of a free role which may suit him?

naoise kennedy
23/03/2010, 5:04 PM
would it be worth considering even though we have only seen twenty minutes of him, to play pablo rodriguez and shane up front with robbie just behind them? play 3 midfielders in behind them. this way we get the pace of shane, pablo is a big lad (dont know how good he is in the air but looked to be a handful against fingal) and robbie can pick out the passes behind them and have a bit of a free role which may suit him?

sounds logical but eddie does'nt work or think that way..pablo looks like he would fit this perfectly.. or else put robbie on the wings..

Roo69
23/03/2010, 6:33 PM
Lads we all need to calm down a litte bit FFS ! We had a week to get a team ready for the Premier, a WEEK ! other teams had been preparing since January.

The lads that have played in the 3 games so far have given 100%, we can't ask for more than that what so ever.

We have a big game on Friday, lets just get behind the team instead of yet again having ago at indivudial players.

Roo69
23/03/2010, 6:36 PM
sounds logical but eddie does'nt work or think that way..pablo looks like he would fit this perfectly.. or else put robbie on the wings..

Lets be honest Naoise, we do not have the quality to play or experience to play 3 midfielders, its tough enough as it is for the young lads, a man light in there would be suicide - Eddie's not a complete idiot !

rocket
23/03/2010, 6:38 PM
Like the way you think Melvin, i think we will score goals with the lads up front, the real problem is the defense and keeper, any ideas on them.

melvin
23/03/2010, 7:10 PM
Lets be honest Naoise, we do not have the quality to play or experience to play 3 midfielders, its tough enough as it is for the young lads, a man light in there would be suicide - Eddie's not a complete idiot !

i agree with you on getting behind the lads im completely on board with that, but about the midfielders if we played massey(he played in the midfield last year) shields and baker behind them thats plenty of experience the only problem being that we also need massey in the back four! i think this could make us very strong going forward. at the back we could play the same back four as last week with webster slotting in when fit . as for the keeper i think he will grow in confidence as he plays more matches but Roo69 is right lets get behind the lads on friday, cant wait.

naoise kennedy
23/03/2010, 8:51 PM

I did not suggest putting 3 midfield,, that was ''melvin'',, pablo and shane up front, robbie on the right, massey/tyrell on left,, 2 centre mids, and the defense, not a man light, yes that would be suicidal..

Weatherman
24/03/2010, 5:04 PM
I'd have to totally disagee with you there on several points. Yes O'Neill has serious pace but we have not utilised it what so ever in the 3 league games so far, maybe once or twice but nothing like we should be using it. When he is up front on his own he is completely isolated and looses pretty much ever ball in the air and is not strong enough to hold it up, when he loses the ball he then fails to track back. It is a team game and he needs to learn that side of the game, he needs to listen to the more experienced lads in the team instead of letting his head drop.

O'Neill has taken one bad tackle so far, last Friday against Sporting, but it was not malicious, just mis-timed. What i am talking about is his inability to be able to stand up to players physically. He gets shouldered and pushed al over the place, he needs to be smarter when in situations like that.

There is no doubting he is a real star but he needs to work on a lot of different aspects of his game, especially working more for the team.

What about the elbow he got against dundalk i think it was?? He's going to get most of the chances for bray. There's no point in just singling him out tho because he's isolated on Gormleys tactics and its not his fault the back line and midfield are hoofing the ball up to him in the air when clearly he'd prefare the ball on the ground. im not comparing them now but even Wayne Rooney gets fustrated up top on his own!!