PDA

View Full Version : Tickets in Argentina

MariborKev
14/03/2010, 8:03 PM
Lads,

Any advice on getting tickets to game in Buenos Aires. Me da is going in May for a month and was looking to go to a River Plate game.

He'd be looking for Tribuna tickets as his days of terraces are past.....

Anyone any experiences of getting tickets?

Dodge
14/03/2010, 8:45 PM
Friend got tickets for Boca v River outside the ground for a Copa Libetadores semi a few years ago. €30 for seats on half way

They have info on their website about ticket sales (for example (http://www.cariverplate.com.ar/tpl.php?cat=es&url=nota-ultimo.php&id=6492)) if you speak basic spanish, but not sure if its only members + guests

EastTerracer
15/03/2010, 1:49 AM
I was in Buenos Aires in November and was advised to go to any games as part of a guided tour rather than on my own. The lad in the hotel sorted out a minibus to collect me and about 7 or 8 other tourists to 2 games. The local guide had the tickets and brought us into the stadium where we sat amongst the local fans and had a great time. I'm sure it was 3 or 4 times the price of a normal ticket but it only set me back about EUR60 a game including the transportation. I got to see River Plate v Estudiantes on Saturday night and San Lorenzo v Boca Juniors on Sunday afternoon. My advice would be just to ask at reception in the hotel. If your Dad does decide to go on his own then just warn him not to wear the wrong colours. The local fans take these things very seriously.

Closed Account 2
15/03/2010, 10:13 AM
I've been to a few games on my own there, but I speak a bit of Italian (and a fair amout of Argentines are 2nd / 3rd / 4th gen Italian) so it was fine. If he doesnt speak Spanish or Italian I would advise to go via an agency, as a poster pointed out they have the added bonus of picking you up and droping you back where you're staying. I can recommend tangol agency as they were able to get me 4 tickets for a Libertadores final for $60USD, whereas all the other places were charging $100USD.

MariborKev
15/03/2010, 12:16 PM
If your Dad does decide to go on his own then just warn him not to wear the wrong colours. The local fans take these things very seriously.

Yeah, have my own experience of things going pear shaped at a game in South America.

Thanks lads.

sixesandsevens
15/03/2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, the safest hassle free way to do it is through an agency in beunos aires. Went to see river a couple of years ago, picked up from the hostel I was staying in. The guide was really helpful and informative throughout. From what I can remember it wasn't too expensive either. So for an easy option it's the best way to go, there's loads of agencies doing this throughout BA and the hotel where he's staying will no doubt be able to give him loads of options and price plans

MariborKev
15/03/2010, 4:42 PM
He is going for work and I think they are renting an apartment/house, but I am sure someone in the client he is working with should be able to sort it.

Junior
16/03/2010, 5:11 PM
1) If it is any way a big game such as Boca v River (in fact they offer it for all the games in BA because there is demand from the backpacking community), then all the hotels will be offering the service the lads have mentioned above Pick Up / Drop Off, Match ticket etc... all at very reasonable prices by UK/Ireland standards (even if over the face value). Tell him just to be careful as not all the agencies are the same, as I found out to my cost. Spent about 5 hours outside Bocas ground with about 200 other 'tourist' supporters waiting to get in to a Boca v River game, only to be stiffed and left trying to catch the match on the TV in a local bar. We got our money back but it was besides the point - never been as gutted to miss a match in all my life. I think the Tangol crew mentioned above are the most credible - I though they were all the same.

2) After that bad experience, I went to 2 Boca away matches at Velez (BA) and Rosario (about couple of hours outside BA) where we bought our own tickets and sat in with the locals and had a great time, obviously these were lesser games and whilst the atmospheres were great they werent anywhere near as explosive or as 'moody' as the Boca v River game was going to be - so I suppose it depends on the game also as to whether you choose to DIY or go the Agency route.