PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Morrow: Betting case

Pages : [1] 2

MariborKev
14/03/2010, 6:09 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/t5owf5.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2j4d6vn.jpg

Surprised this hasn't be mentioned already.

De Town
14/03/2010, 6:21 PM
There was supposedly dodgy betting in the last game of last season wasn't there? Dundalk v Derry I think?

Dillonman
14/03/2010, 6:38 PM
There was supposedly dodgy betting in the last game of last season wasn't there? Dundalk v Derry I think?

Yes but that was app most of our teams betting on themselves to lose. Michael McGowan was yelld at by one or two of the idiots for scoring from the half way line and a few posted on our forum that they ehard McGowan go over to Connor in the second half and telling Connor to take him off as he wanted no part in it.

Ezeikial
14/03/2010, 8:58 PM
Yes but that was app most of our teams betting on themselves to lose. Michael McGowan was yelld at by one or two of the idiots for scoring from the half way line and a few posted on our forum that they ehard McGowan go over to Connor in the second half and telling Connor to take him off as he wanted no part in it.

It is clear from Bookmakers statements that there was "irregular betting patterns" on this game (and on earlier 3-0 home win against Galway). That much has been pretty well established.

But your stuff about McGowan is really a bit of an urban legend. I'd suggest a bit of caution with the "app most of our teams betting on themselves to lose" - there is no actual evidence (although plenty of suspicion) that any named player, never mind "most" were involved with betting on the game.

monkey9
14/03/2010, 9:59 PM

If this is true, has there been an investigation?? Cos if true, that's incredible!!!

RoversHead
14/03/2010, 10:43 PM
match fixing is virtually impossible to organise in football ,at best a win or a loss could be organised if a ref was involved along with several players from one side.These stories pop up from time to time all over the world but never amount to much and evidence is usually circumstantial at best.Thats not to say that players dont break the rules and gamble on games that they play in but match fixing eh no.

Ezeikial
15/03/2010, 12:16 AM
match fixing is virtually impossible to organise in football ,at best a win or a loss could be organised if a ref was involved along with several players from one side.These stories pop up from time to time all over the world but never amount to much and evidence is usually circumstantial at best.Thats not to say that players dont break the rules and gamble on games that they play in but match fixing eh no.

I suspect that you might be taking the term too literally. With only 2 or 3 players involved the odds of getting the desired result can be dramtically skewed against what the bookies are offering.

Player A concedes a penalty, Player B gets himself sent-off (btw both ocurred in the Dundalk V Derry game mentioned above last season) - I'd say there is a big potential of a sting. Get a goalkeeper in on the act (remember Bruce Grobbelaar?) and the "match-fixers" are in line for a big killing, if all goes to plan.

UEFA (and FAI) see this whole area as being a big problem -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/25/uefa-match-fixing-champions-league

Uefa investigates 40 European games in match-fixing crackdown
Forty Champions League and Uefa Cup games are under investigation for suspected match-fixing, European football's governing body revealed today.
All of the cases, 15 of which took place in the last two years and the rest within the last four to five years, concerned early qualifying rounds and most involved clubs from eastern Europe. Although Uefa said it would not make public the identity of the clubs under suspicion unless it amassed enough evidence to charge them, it is not believed that any English clubs or big European names are involved.

Dillonman
15/03/2010, 8:03 AM
It is clear from Bookmakers statements that there was "irregular betting patterns" on this game (and on earlier 3-0 home win against Galway). That much has been pretty well established.

But your stuff about McGowan is really a bit of an urban legend. I'd suggest a bit of caution with the "app most of our teams betting on themselves to lose" - there is no actual evidence (although plenty of suspicion) that any named player, never mind "most" were involved with betting on the game.

Like I said APP. And also like I said, a few posters on our forum said they heard McGowan. I never said I SAID or I HEARD did I??

OneRedArmy
15/03/2010, 8:23 AM
The is a Memordum of Understanding between the FAI and the bookies which allows for mutual information sharing in suspicious cases.

Regardless of whether it can be proved, when bookies stop offering single match odds or pull the whole market, as has happened going back a few years in a number of cases, you know something stinks.

Also, as someone said on our forum, when you have clubs who aren't paying wages, the temptation increases for those that are that way inclined.

Sammy won't be the last IMO.

Dodge
15/03/2010, 10:01 AM
That memorandum of understanding isn't signed with all bookies…

I've known of at least 3 game where predicted results at high odds came in. (all in the first division)

Its naïve beyond belief to think that match fixing can't happen. Hadn't heard the Morrow story

marinobohs
15/03/2010, 10:02 AM

totally untrue statement
(1) Pats player suspended last year over betting
(2) as outlined elsewhere on thread there is an agreed protocol between the FAI and bookmakers on betting patterns - shows they take it seriously.
(3) in many countries it is against the rules for players to bet on any match in the League they participate.
(4) In the 1960s players in Emgland were banned for years over match fixing
(5) Bruce grobbelar admitted it (and was not the only player alledgedly involved)

AC Milan, Juventus etc all punished for match fixing. there are numerous examples throughout the world where clubs/individuals have been caught match fixing. While it is true that there are cases where the charge has not had any substance to say the practice(s) does not exist is wrong.

pineapple stu
15/03/2010, 10:04 AM
In fairness, given the Pat's player wasn't even playing, you can hardly accuse him of match-fixing.

marinobohs
15/03/2010, 10:17 AM
In fairness, given the Pat's player wasn't even playing, you can hardly accuse him of match-fixing.
Honestly dont know Stu. My point was that the games authorities take the issue uber seriously (hence the player was banned) so obviously believe there is potentially a problem with match fixing.I was commenting more on the outcome than the alledged offence.
Personally believe that no player should be allowed bet on any LOI game, i know this is difficult (maybe impossible) to enforce but it would send out a strong message.Cant say I would be too impressed if an injured team mate bet on our team to lose but as mentioned elsewhere given the financial difficulties some players found themselves in last season one can see how a player might be tempted.

pineapple stu
15/03/2010, 10:29 AM
He bet on his team to lose in a match he was injured for, I think. Stupid, but not match fixing. Just think it needed pointed out when it was up alongside Juve and Grobbelaar.

Dodge
15/03/2010, 10:42 AM
Just to confirm; Gary Dempsey made a €20 double on Galway to beat Pats and Man City to beat Newscastle. He wasn't playing in either game, and was suspended for 5 games by FAI

100% not match fixing.

Réiteoir
15/03/2010, 12:49 PM
Did Morrow face the betting counter when handing over his bet?

LukeO
15/03/2010, 3:28 PM
Just to confirm; Gary Dempsey made a €20 double on Galway to beat Pats and Man City to beat Newscastle. He wasn't playing in either game, and was suspended for 5 games by FAI

100% not match fixing.

What if other players also bet on the game and Dempsey took the blame to get them out of trouble... What if? Eh?

Dodge
15/03/2010, 6:22 PM
What if we didn't believe every rumour ever told?

Longfordian
15/03/2010, 8:08 PM
This place would be awful quiet for starters.

monkey9
15/03/2010, 8:16 PM
It was a dual slip and the bookie became suspicious.....

What do yo mean by dual slip??

monkey9
15/03/2010, 8:17 PM
I don't understand why players don't just open internet accounts!

Longfordian
15/03/2010, 8:31 PM
It'd be way easier to track them on the net. They have to register a credit or debit card. I doubt too many would be bothered setting up fake bank accounts!

Mr A
16/03/2010, 1:42 PM
Derry Journal (http://www.derryjournal.com/derry/Betting-scandal-rocks-Derry.6153502.jp) Take on this (love the totally over the top headline!)

Martinho II
16/03/2010, 5:13 PM
Derry Journal (http://www.derryjournal.com/derry/Betting-scandal-rocks-Derry.6153502.jp) Take on this (love the totally over the top headline!)

good piece.. I think of know who Stephen Kennys is on about who gambled all the business takings? I wont say who but I am sure that a few longford town fans know who I am referring to...:crossed:

Sam_Heggy
16/03/2010, 6:07 PM
Shock horror, cheat in Derry colours caught :p :soldier:

Mr A
19/03/2010, 5:47 PM
According to ILS:

Banned for 6 months, 3 months of this were suspended. Also word of a £3000 fine.

De Town
19/03/2010, 7:18 PM
According to ILS:

Banned for 6 months, 3 months of this were suspended. Also word of a £3000 fine.

That's his betting winnings gone right there.

Mr A
20/03/2010, 10:55 AM
Suspension confirmed (http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/club-soccer-player-suspended-fined-after-betting-on-matches-450703.html)- fine is €1390

I'd love to see more detail on what the betting patterns were.

Rocketman
20/03/2010, 2:58 PM
Suspension confirmed (http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/club-soccer-player-suspended-fined-after-betting-on-matches-450703.html)- fine is €1390

I'd love to see more detail on what the betting patterns were.

I don't think this is the end of this. Morrow has been let of lightly because of his co-operation during the investigation. Wonder if he has dropped more people in it. If so, take there oil!!!

Candystripe
21/03/2010, 3:20 AM
20 March 2010
By KEVIN McLAUGHLIN
FORMER Derry City striker Sammy Morrow gives his first in depth exclusive interview in this Wednesday's Sentinel Sport.
The Limavady native, who received a banned from playing for six months (three suspended) for betting on the outcome of football matches, sets the record straight, he also warns fellow players up and down the country that they too maybe breaking FIFA's rules and talks about the future.

"I hold my hands up and I know now what I did was wrong, but at the time I didn't know I was doing wrong," he said.

"I would also like to tell people I wasn't punished for match fixing, nothing like that, it was just because I was betting on League of Ireland football and I broke a rule.

"This has been an obvious worry and I haven't been able to concentrate fully on my football and I have to say it has been a serious weight on my shoulders knowing that this investigation was going on in the back round and then worrying what the verdict was going to be.

"But now that everything has been sorted I can't wait until June 19 whenever my suspension ends and then concentrate on getting a good pre-season behind me playing next season injury and worry free," concluded the Coleraine front man.

monkey9
21/03/2010, 9:35 AM
20 March 2010
By KEVIN McLAUGHLIN
FORMER Derry City striker Sammy Morrow gives his first in depth exclusive interview in this Wednesday's Sentinel Sport.
The Limavady native, who received a banned from playing for six months (three suspended) for betting on the outcome of football matches, sets the record straight, he also warns fellow players up and down the country that they too maybe breaking FIFA's rules and talks about the future.

"I hold my hands up and I know now what I did was wrong, but at the time I didn't know I was doing wrong," he said.

"I would also like to tell people I wasn't punished for match fixing, nothing like that, it was just because I was betting on League of Ireland football and I broke a rule.

"This has been an obvious worry and I haven't been able to concentrate fully on my football and I have to say it has been a serious weight on my shoulders knowing that this investigation was going on in the back round and then worrying what the verdict was going to be.

"But now that everything has been sorted I can't wait until June 19 whenever my suspension ends and then concentrate on getting a good pre-season behind me playing next season injury and worry free," concluded the Coleraine front man.

That's nonsense, how could he not have known what he was doing was wrong??

Mr A
21/03/2010, 9:52 AM

He's a footballer. And he played for Derry City last year. Not knowing/understanding what's going on there was what all of them did. Or so we're meant to believe.

Dodge
21/03/2010, 11:22 AM

I doubt its expressly told to them "You can't bet on LOI games"

The smarter ones figure it out...

Rocketman
21/03/2010, 12:21 PM
I doubt its expressly told to them "You can't bet on LOI games"

The smarter ones figure it out...

From what I heard he did not place any bets....but did try and collect winnings! ( this is hear say but im sure its not far from the truth)

Schumi
21/03/2010, 5:49 PM
From what I heard he did not place any bets....but did try and collect winnings! That's usually called robbing!

corkharps
21/03/2010, 9:52 PM
What do yo mean by dual slip??
He might have got mixed up with his 'dual' contracts?

Spudulika
22/03/2010, 9:37 AM

Alot of Eastern European leagues seem to be heavily affected, in Russia Rubin Kazan were widely believed to have been handed their first league title - though good planning, tactics and players seem to go against that. In Croatia you can't use 2 local league games in an accumulator, I don't know if it's national law or just bookies policy. Good article on the situation below.

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/european-match-fixing-scandal-hits-beautiful-game

Flexy
23/03/2010, 9:51 AM
In todays Journal confirms the hearing has been postponed but involves two individuals of DCFC Morrow is one of them anyone know who the other person was?

refjohn
23/03/2010, 10:00 AM
In todays Journal confirms the hearing has been postponed but involves two individuals of DCFC Morrow is one of them anyone know who the other person was?

I think it is two in addition to Morrow - FAI couldn't deal with Morrow as he had moved to IFA club. I have heard one of the two is playing with another team within FAI.

saint dog
23/03/2010, 10:00 AM

A DCFC staff member

mrtndvn
23/03/2010, 10:04 AM
What if we didn't believe every rumour ever told?

What if current bohs players were at it?

OneRedArmy
23/03/2010, 10:10 AM
A DCFC staff memberand another player.

See the previous (unsubtle) post.

Ezeikial
23/03/2010, 10:11 AM

I sense an "infraction" coming down!!!!

Mr A
23/03/2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.derryjournal.com/derry/Betting-hearing-postponed.6172878.jp

GM11
23/03/2010, 11:27 AM

To be fair I know Sammy and he is as thick as 2 short planks

cheifo
23/03/2010, 4:59 PM
To be fair I know Sammy and he is as thick as 2 short planks

:bigsmile: Findings of investigation are complete.

SkStu
23/03/2010, 5:06 PM

If Higgins and/or McGlynn are involved? I dunno.... i guess they would be suspended too and its too bad for us. Id imagine we would be able to terminate their contracts in some way though.

Dalymountrower
23/03/2010, 5:16 PM
What if current ....(named team).... players were at it?

Well if you named the Team and the players were identifiable and there were no substantive grounds for your speculation then you would have landed this web site in a lot of difficulties. "What if`s" do not protect the publisher from defamation claims. Mods? (sorry no idea how to use report function)

mrtndvn
23/03/2010, 6:45 PM
Well if you named the Team and the players were identifiable and there were no substantive grounds for your speculation then you would have landed this web site in a lot of difficulties. "What if`s" do not protect the publisher from defamation claims. Mods? (sorry no idea how to use report function)

Fancy this for luck

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35271

SkStu
23/03/2010, 7:09 PM
for the benefit of those who are not registered to CCFC's forum, can you tell us what that says? Another internet rumour is hardly a reliable source. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in my response that you were referring to previous Derry players now at Bohs.