PDA

View Full Version : roy keane and the EL

max power
23/03/2004, 3:33 PM
Although everybody knows that the Irish superstar played for Cobh Ramblers before moving to Nottingham Forest to begin his all-conquering career in England, few could say for sure if he had ever played at the Showgrounds.

Well, thanks to the files of The Sligo Champion, we can clarify the matter for once and for all.

Keane was in the Cobh Ramblers side which drew 0-0 with Sligo Rovers in a first division game at the Showgrounds on November 12th, 1989.

And the teenager's impact on the game didn't go unnoticed.

In his match report in The Sligo Champion the following week, Leo Gray wrote:

"Rovers were edged out in the vital battle for midfield supremacy with Sean Hegarty and youth international, Roy Keane, proving quite a handful"

Another interesting fact about the game might trigger the memory of loyal Rovers' fans. It was the day former Northern Ireland international, Billy Hamilton, made his debut for Rovers, who were then managed by Dermot Keely.

The game was a dour contest, with few clear cut goal chances at either end. It was Hamilton, in fact, who came closest to breaking the deadlock with a powerful 84th minute header which crashed against the crossbar.

A noteworthy feature of the day was that Mark Lawrenson, who was then manager of Peterborough United, was among the attendance at the game. Both Lawrenson and Peterborough Chairman, Mr. John Devaney, were special guests of Rovers at the match. I wonder if Lawrenson spotted the superstar in the making on the Cobh side.

Evidently, the emerging Keane was outshone on the day by John Skeffington who, despite playing in an unaccustomed full-back role, was nominated as the man of the match.

Other locals in the Rovers line-up were Gavin Dykes, Fergal Harrison, Mick Savage and Declan Gallagher, who had just returned to the club after a brief spell with Longford Town. Ray Rooney came on as a second half substitute.

The draw kept Rovers in the promotion hunt, putting them into third place behind pace setters, Home Farm and Bray Wanderers, while Cobh were struggling near the bottom of the table.

For the record, the Rovers team was: Nicky Broujos, John Skeffington, Tom Conway, Dermot Keely, Gavin Dykes, Pierse Walsh, Fergal Harrison, Mick Savage, Brian Duff, Billy Hamilton, Declan Gallagher. Sub: Ray Rooney for Gallagher (60 mins)

Keane actually played three times against Rovers that season. The other two matches were at St. Colman's Park, Cobh, on September 10th, 1989 and January 21st, 1990. Rovers won 1-0 on September 10th, with Ray Rooney getting the goal, while the January 21st meeting ended in a scoreless draw. Keane actually missed a golden opportunity to win the game for Cobh but blazed wide from a good position. The Sligo Champion reported:

"Sligo had a lucky escape in the 56th minute when Roy Keane got a clear run at goal but with only the keeper to beat, the Cobh striker lost his nerve and sent a badly hit shot wide of the target"

eoinh
23/03/2004, 3:38 PM
i think i was at the game when Roy made his debut for Cobh. It was against St Mirren or another scottish club. I think he played against city in a League cup match too.

max power
23/03/2004, 3:39 PM
its an intersting article overall, i'm looking up stuff on the 89 season to see can i find any other info

eoinh
23/03/2004, 4:14 PM
i think i still have that programme from when roy made his debut with queenstown somewhere

pete
23/03/2004, 4:56 PM
I wonder if Lawrenson spotted the superstar in the making on the Cobh side.

Does seem like he did but maybe that why his management career didn't last very long.

Be a good one to catch with when he yapping on the radio or wherever. ;)

rambler09
23/03/2004, 5:30 PM
i have the first program.

he once(jokin at the time)said that he will come back when he retires to be player/manager for ramblers!!!!

if only it happened..the whole of cork would be at the cobh games!

adamcarr
23/03/2004, 6:59 PM
I never knew Keono used to be a striker!

pineapple stu
23/03/2004, 8:23 PM
I never knew Keono used to be a striker!

Sure did you not learn that in Saipan?! :D

corkharps
23/03/2004, 9:16 PM
According to Ramblers programme editor,Keane made his LOI debut at Finn Park, ;)

rambler09
23/03/2004, 9:44 PM
ya he was told he was too small to play centre mid!!!!!!!!!

brendy_éire
23/03/2004, 9:53 PM
Some people truly are obsessed with that traitor. Seriously, this is pathetic. The eL's claim-to-fame was that Roy Keane once played for Cobh? A sad state of affairs.

TommyT
23/03/2004, 10:07 PM
Some people truly are obsessed with that traitor. Seriously, this is pathetic. The eL's claim-to-fame was that Roy Keane once played for Cobh? A sad state of affairs.

No it's that Johnny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy once played for Rovers.

Bald Student
24/03/2004, 9:01 AM
Some people truly are obsessed
Check out the Cobh Ramblers internet site. Their only piece of news is that they sold Roy Keane a long time ago.

Xlex
24/03/2004, 10:24 AM
No it's that Johnny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy once played for Rovers.

They they play for Rovers at the same time?

max power
24/03/2004, 10:27 AM
john was manager, eamon was player i think....

rambler09
24/03/2004, 5:52 PM

traitor.... go away with yourself ya fag!!!!

P.S. cobhramblers.com is ****!!

brendy_éire
24/03/2004, 7:01 PM
traitor.... go away with yourself ya fag!!!!
Just cos he's from Cork doesn't mean he's the greatest thing to walk the face of the earth. See past your local alligences.

RedX
24/03/2004, 8:55 PM
Brendy_eire...why dont you stick to supporting Northern Ireland.. :confused:

Keano is a legend ;)

rambler09
24/03/2004, 9:05 PM

Keano is a legend ;)

Ya Brendy........fcuk off back to england!!!!

Keano=legend!!!!!! :p :p :p

TommyT
24/03/2004, 10:05 PM
They they play for Rovers at the same time?

Yes 1977-82. Eamo then went on to have a stint as program editor.

brendy_éire
25/03/2004, 9:20 AM
That illegitimate statelet? Come on now. :rolleyes:

Bit rich coming from you. I'm now the one arguing against alligence to Dublin. ;)

dortie
25/03/2004, 10:21 AM

Keano=legend!!!!!! :p :p :p

What side of the civil war did your grandfather fight on..Mmmm let me see...!

;)

Brendy.....can you guess :D

max power
25/03/2004, 10:25 AM
ladies if yee want to talk about this stuff, do it somewhere else please.....