PDA

View Full Version : Chris Moyles on the Irish obcession with foreign football clubs.

Mad Moose
11/03/2010, 5:18 PM
The Irish obcession with foreign football clubs is a point mooted on this forum more than any other point as the primary reason for stunting the development of our domestic league. Its a point I wouldn't expect to hear mentioned from this side of the water however and one which Chris Moyles on his breakfast show on BBC Radio One took up this morning. The show is on from 6.30 to 10am weekdays and just before the show there is the news, sport and weather. This mornings sporting focus was on Manchester United's win over Porto in the CL and as part of the coverage they interviewed a few fans on their views of the game.Its always struck me that Irish fans of English clubs occasionally feature and the probability in selecting fans at random as they do means the chance of interviewing an Irish fan is pretty low. This morning all 4 fans interviewed were Irish which I found absolutely incredible. It was a feature of the coverage which wasn't lost on Chris Moyles who opened the show on this very point.

You can hear his witty takes on the Irish Mancunians in the first half hour of his show on the BBC iPlayer and select this mornings show or if after today you can select Thursdays show.

shakermaker1982
12/03/2010, 8:57 AM
if SSN are outside OT or Anfield on a matchday then at least 50% of fans they interview will be Irish. It's incredible really. Costs a lot of cash to come over, book hotels etc.

Dodge
12/03/2010, 9:43 AM
Can the BBC radio iplayer be heard in Ireland? I know TV can't be viewed

Macy
12/03/2010, 10:17 AM
if SSN are outside OT or Anfield on a matchday then at least 50% of fans they interview will be Irish. It's incredible really. Costs a lot of cash to come over, book hotels etc.
I wouldn't extrapolate too much, as it's not like every fan would stop for a voxpop. The "tourist" is more likely to stop than a local imo.

Can the BBC radio iplayer be heard in Ireland?
I haven't listened to that show, but I have listened to other stuff (that played music).

MaryDrummer
12/03/2010, 10:47 PM
I went over to the Man Utd match on Wednesday, was my first time at OT and I couldn't get over how many Irish people were there. Every second person I heard on the street had an Irish accent.
Then at the hotel, we sat across from a guy who was sitting on his own and turns out where he is originally from is half an hour away from us! We know his cousin too, such a small world! The hotel had a load of Irish people in it...

SkStu
13/03/2010, 3:59 PM
LUHG? Jaysus.

Mad Moose
13/03/2010, 6:21 PM
The irony is in the fact that I can safely make the generalisation that the football follower who travels to England to watch his/her favourite football team is more likely to be a barstool nationalist who will loudly protest at centuries of British repression in our country and proclaim to hate all things English. This usually coincides with a great love of the GAA and a general ignorance to the irony of their position.

ArdeeBhoy
14/03/2010, 12:21 AM
The irony is in the fact that I can safely make the generalisation that the football follower who travels to England to watch his/her favourite football team is more likely to be a barstool nationalist who will loudly protest at centuries of British repression in our country and proclaim to hate all things English. This usually coincides with a great love of the GAA and a general ignorance to the irony of their position.

And there is the Irony. Love my country, sometimes the football team f**k me off and the EL isn't much better either!!

MaryDrummer
14/03/2010, 10:42 AM
LUHG? Jaysus.

It's all the craze these days!

Unfortunately you are right. And people like myself who aren't like that get painted with the same brush because of it.

SkStu
14/03/2010, 2:33 PM
It's all the craze these days! .

well if you buy your yellow and green scarf just be aware that the money you spend on that scarf is going into the pockets of Delia Smith.

MaryDrummer
14/03/2010, 9:11 PM
well if you buy your yellow and green scarf just be aware that the money you spend on that scarf is going into the pockets of Delia Smith.

I really hope she doesn't start singing again...

Dodge
15/03/2010, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately you are right. And people like myself who aren't like that get painted with the same brush because of it.
Hmmm, think you missed a little of his point there

SkStu
15/03/2010, 12:48 AM
I really hope she doesn't start singing again...

i'd be more worried about this... :cringe: :frown:

Z_8JLkwzpd0

she LUHG's judging by that scarf. :tongue:

MaryDrummer
15/03/2010, 10:13 AM
Hmmm, think you missed a little of his point there

Which point?

MaryDrummer
15/03/2010, 10:14 AM
i'd be more worried about this... :cringe: :frown:

Z_8JLkwzpd0

she LUHG's judging by that scarf. :tongue:

The more the merrier I say!

Mad Moose
16/03/2010, 8:00 PM
What is LUHG?

SkStu
16/03/2010, 8:19 PM
Love United Hate Glaziers

MaryDrummer
16/03/2010, 11:30 PM
I do wonder when the "i" in Glazer started to appear...

I tried writing LUHG in green and yellow but I couldn't get it to work...:(

Mad Moose
17/03/2010, 7:34 AM
Love United Hate Glaziers

Oh god no. I figured people seemed to recognise it and so I was curious. Well that proves my post then.

Dodge
17/03/2010, 9:14 AM
Which point?

That you are the same as them

MaryDrummer
17/03/2010, 10:11 AM
That you are the same as them

As someone who was born and spent her first few years in England and hoping they go on to win the WC this year, I don't think so.
I spent 8 years playing Gaelic football but gave that up to play football but have taken up camógie since...

...and when I go to the pub to watch a match, I sit on a couch, not a stool.

Jeez...

Closed Account 2
17/03/2010, 2:35 PM
Leeds United - Heroes and Giants

Rasputin
20/03/2010, 1:12 PM
National Embarresment.

SkStu
20/03/2010, 10:53 PM
Glaziers OUT!! :curse:

http://www.burglary.me.uk/vans.jpg

Spudulika
22/03/2010, 12:53 PM
If anyone has access to itunes (has an ipod or such) you can download the Chris Moyles show as a podcast, just so that there is no mistake - you can also download selections from Morning Ireland, Tubridy, Off the Ball, George Hook etc. It is curious that so many Irish people travel over to Britain each weekend for games, whether up north to Glasgow or Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and so on. I wonder how much money leaves the country each year because of this - regardless of spending it in the LOI?

lionelhutz
23/03/2010, 10:33 AM
Lets be honest lads, the majority of people who travel to the UK for a match are just heading away for a **** up. I went to Man City v Fulham in Manchester a couple of years ago with a few friends (I don't support either but love football) and the main reason I travelled was for the craic.

The point I'm making is that if I went to a LOI game (which I have done many times in Jackman Park) you'd usually come home that night and wouldn't have an excuse for a lads weekend.

philliyk
24/03/2010, 7:32 PM
Anytime i've gone to an EPL it has been either cause of a stag or an organised **** up. There are lots of family's that do go & also loads who shell out for a season ticket & go to all the home games - basically the top 7 or so EPL teams at the moment. Has always amazed me as to why they go to such cost when they have perfectly good although admitidly not top footy on their own doorstep & they can watch the "moneymen" on the telly in the comfort of their own home. More money than sense if you ask me cause it costs me a small fortune each year to go on Eire trips then there's the EPL teams biggest rip off - merchandise - i "follow" sheff utd(rarely if ever go to games now used to go regularly about 10 years ago when lived there for a while) & would buy their top once maybe every 3-4 years - only footy tops i tend to buy are Eire gear or the odd top euro team & a few GAA tops as well

Oh yeah LUHG - why are you all in love with Sheff Utd as they are the oldest united in existence & therefore should surely be the only club who could lay claim to the name UNITED not the thiefs of manchester who just "borrow" other clubs stuff anyway like songs etcc lol

MaryDrummer
24/03/2010, 8:33 PM
Anytime i've gone to an EPL it has been either cause of a stag or an organised **** up. There are lots of family's that do go & also loads who shell out for a season ticket & go to all the home games - basically the top 7 or so EPL teams at the moment. Has always amazed me as to why they go to such cost when they have perfectly good although admitidly not top footy on their own doorstep & they can watch the "moneymen" on the telly in the comfort of their own home. More money than sense if you ask me cause it costs me a small fortune each year to go on Eire trips then there's the EPL teams biggest rip off - merchandise - i "follow" sheff utd(rarely if ever go to games now used to go regularly about 10 years ago when lived there for a while) & would buy their top once maybe every 3-4 years - only footy tops i tend to buy are Eire gear or the odd top euro team & a few GAA tops as well

Oh yeah LUHG - why are you all in love with Sheff Utd as they are the oldest united in existence & therefore should surely be the only club who could lay claim to the name UNITED not the thiefs of manchester who just "borrow" other clubs stuff anyway like songs etcc lol

I presume you're referring to me when you say LUHG, maybe because the atmosphere and experience is ten folds better than what we get here?! I know I enjoyed the Manchester United match much more than any Galway United match I have ever been to. I spent a grand total of €220 on my trip to Manchester. For the quality of football and enjoyment, it was well worth it.

I couldn't care less if Sheffield United are oldest United out there, my united is Manchester United. Get used to it...

gustavo
29/03/2010, 12:14 PM
I couldn't care less if Sheffield United are oldest United out there, my united is Manchester United. Get used to it...

Theres also one in Ireland , quite near you if I'm not mistaken

MaryDrummer
29/03/2010, 1:22 PM
Ya there is. Your point?

gustavo
29/03/2010, 1:40 PM
Just think its sad that United to someone from Galway means Manchester not Galway

DeLorean
29/03/2010, 1:57 PM
I suppose there's a difference between actually supporting a team and just wanting them to win. I think in the case of most Irish "supporters" of an EPL club it's more that they have a favourite team over there and that's about it. My favourite EPL team is Man Utd but could I really consider myself a proper supporter, no chance. I watch all their games on TV, haven't yet been to OT (for a match anyway) and don't buy any of their merchandise. I find some of the slagging amongst Irish Man Utd/Liverpool supporters very cringing to be honest. I would consider myself a Cork GAA supporter, going to matches regularly as well as buying the odd top and generally feeling a part of their successes or failures. As much as I like to see Man Utd winning or whatever I find it a bit embarrassing people over here celebrating their achievements in a big way.

Dodge
29/03/2010, 2:01 PM
Lets be honest lads, the majority of people who travel to the UK for a match are just heading away for a **** up. I went to Man City v Fulham in Manchester a couple of years ago with a few friends (I don't support either but love football) and the main reason I travelled was for the craic

WHile thats true for a fair amount, there's also plane loads who fly over and back ona Saturday/Sunday. Check out Dublin airport betwenn 9-11pm on a saturday. pathetic stuff

MaryDrummer
29/03/2010, 9:46 PM
Just think its sad that United to someone from Galway means Manchester not Galway

Well I knew of Manchester United before Galway United, didn't always live here.

If we went be yer rules, I'd be a Watford supporter!

Come down off yer moral high ground...

osarusan
29/03/2010, 10:30 PM
Come down off yer moral high ground...
But we like it up here.