PDA

View Full Version : Sky Sports App on iPhone/iPod

tiktok
11/03/2010, 7:54 AM
To start, technology scares me.

Anyway, Sky Sports have a €7 per month app which essentially gives you Sky News, Sky Sports News, all sports channels and ESPN on your iPhone. That's tempting me, but I can't watch a 90 minute match on a phone.

Is there a way I can connect my iPhone to a TV or to a monitor and stream what I'm receiving to the iPhone.
Or is it even worth it, would the picture quality be rubbish?

Longfordian
11/03/2010, 11:24 AM
I read somewhere that you can only stream it to a TV if the Iphone is "jailbroken". I'm not sufficiently well up on the technology to know how to go about it anyway. But it is tempting as you say. I think it may only work on wifi at the moment.

tetsujin1979
11/03/2010, 11:29 AM
SlingBox can stream a TV signal over a network to a variety of systems, including the iPhone, but they're a pricey piece of kit.

Longfordian
11/03/2010, 11:39 AM
He's looking to stream from the Iphone to the TV not the other way round?. Does Slingbox do that?.

Dodge
11/03/2010, 11:46 AM
Picture quality wouldn't really be good enough for TV, as they're reseized and reformatted for the iphone. Eurosport have a similar player BTW.

If you wanted to play about with it, you could start with some of the other apps like Al Jeezera or France 24 which also stream live.

Tets, the the slingbox does the opposit to what tiktok is looking for. It takes you current subscriptions and broadcasts them to your phone. The Sky thing would be subcribing on the phone and broadcating/connecting it to TV

Real ale Madrid
11/03/2010, 12:36 PM
I don't think the picture quality would be good enough to be honest.

I know you can download movies from iTunes and watch them on TV no problem but it would be different streaming live content.

The only thing I can think of is if you could connect your iphone to your laptop and then enlarge the viewing area with something like magical glass - then I think the picture would be good enough to watch it then.

When I'm watching sports from betfair I enlarge the small video they use using that magical glass to watch it full screen. Works a treat.

Schumi
11/03/2010, 12:43 PM
Tets, the the slingbox does the opposit to what tiktok is looking for. It takes you current subscriptions and broadcasts them to your phone. The Sky thing would be subcribing on the phone and broadcating/connecting it to TV

Does this only work within a certain distance of the TV or something? It could be a useful replacement for the Sky App otherwise.

tetsujin1979
11/03/2010, 3:45 PM
sorry, got it backwards, thought he wanted to stream a game from his TV to the iPod instead of getting the Sky Sports app.

Slingbox works over your home network, so anywhere you can connect to your router from. You can use it over the internet, but the picture is choppy, and it'll cost a fortune in data fees

Dodge
11/03/2010, 4:54 PM
http://www.slingmedia.com/

More on sling box. The iphone app is about €23