PDA

View Full Version : Léargas - Beckham or Bust

Peadar
23/03/2004, 8:45 AM
Good programme on RTÉ One, last night featured young footballers from Ireland who were currently serving apprenticships in Glasgow Celtic or lads for whom the dream had died and were now playing in Ireland or players like Eddy Van Boxtel who had given up completely.
Irish Captain, Kenny Cunningham came across well as usual as did FAI welfare officer, Eoin Hand. For me though, Aidan Fitzmaurice who spoke as Gailge throughout, was the best contributor. He spoke of the advantages of the eircom League where returning players were concerned.
Longford Town lads Daragh Sheridan and Shane Barrett spoke about their return and seemed very positive. All in all the eircom League came across quite well. The only thing it missed was the Cork City lads who returned to make such an impact on the eircom League and get a place with Ireland U19 and U21 teams. All in all it was very interesting.

eoinh
23/03/2004, 9:03 AM
Three things struck me.

1) Kenny Cunnigham came over very well. I'ld say in future he'ld make a very good manager or coach.

2) It mentioned Celtic approaching players at the age of 12. Thats waaaaay too young in my opinion. In no other industry would that be allowed. Even Irish teams like Cork City should not be allowed to approach kids of that age. At that age youre a baby.

3) Some of the lads who came back (and indeed the programme itself) gave the impression that they had failed and returned. One of the Longford players said " my greatest claim to fame is cleaning robbie keanes' boots". No they havent failed imo, they have just moved on to another club. Would anybody call Robbie Keane a failure because he didnt make it at Inter?

Snatch
23/03/2004, 9:17 AM
They also did a fascinating special on the "RIC - Ireland's forgotten police force" a couple of weeks ago!

For those who missed the football episode, Leargas is repeated on Saturday morning at 9.30 on rte1.

pete
23/03/2004, 9:32 AM
2) It mentioned Celtic approaching players at the age of 12. Thats waaaaay too young in my opinion. In no other industry would that be allowed. Even Irish teams like Cork City should not be allowed to approach kids of that age. At that age youre a baby.

I thought i'd read before than Norway have imposed a ban on kids leaving the country (think they history of going to Germany) un til they 16 or 18. Maybe time for something similar here....

Peadar
23/03/2004, 9:42 AM
1) Kenny Cunnigham came over very well. I'ld say in future he'ld make a very good manager or coach.

I've always maintained that. He's a great captain and a proud, honest player.
Heard him interviewed on TalkSport Radio in the Yoo Kay and then an interview with Trigger straight afterwards. They were like chalk and cheese. Kenny was articulate and informed. Trigger sounded like he was caught on the hop about a subject he knew little on. Poor Trigger can forget a career in coaching.

2) It mentioned Celtic approaching players at the age of 12.

Players can't leave Irish clubs until they're 16 as far as I know.
Don't suppose that would stop the likes of Celtic trying to tap them up though.

Ref
23/03/2004, 11:05 AM
Players can't leave Irish clubs until they're 16 as far as I know.
Don't suppose that would stop the likes of Celtic trying to tap them up though.

they can't sign until 16 but a lot of players go back and forth for trials all the time from all over this country.

there are players in Cork who have had trials in England at 11, 12, 13 etc.

they can't sign a contract til 16 but they can sign pre-contracts (?) at a much younger age.

Peadar
23/03/2004, 11:11 AM
they can't sign a contract til 16 but they can sign pre-contracts (?) at a much younger age.

Yeah, I thought as much.
At least they get to live in Ireland until they're 16.
All we can do is try to make the eircom League as good as possible so that young lads can play here and continue their education.
Courses like the one in CSN, CIT and DCU are the way forward.
(I'm sure there are more that I haven't mentioned here)