PDA

View Full Version : Longford Town nil bohs two

Pages : [1] 2

Martinho II
22/03/2004, 9:55 PM
I am absolutely gutted with the result. bohs had a player sent off-caffrey in the second half and we still could not take our chances. too many long balls, not enough passing, poor defending, no central midfielder,the list goes on.

bohs got their first goal in the first half from a mixup in defence and keddy beat the bouncing ball to lob over digger who strangely enough was wearing no 20 and dempsey no 1.

our best football was played in the first half but in the second half we really went to pieces. Bohs should have got a penalty when digger tripped crowe up. In the last minute kirbs hit the ball against i think pip keogh and crowe beat digger to the ball and hit it to the right corner of the net.

A very disappointing result and near the end there was a fair few breakdown in communications esp dessie baker who let his concentrion slip due to the constant barracking from the bohs supporters a few that slipped into the section o end.

You just get the feeling that our home form is going to be **** this season. Best on the pitch were digger (who made two top class saves) and sean prunty. the rest were ****. hope this is not the sign of things to come for us... :o

max power
23/03/2004, 9:17 AM
agree with all that was said above, certain parts of the stand booed the team off the pitch and i feel it was deserved......NO MIDFIELD....pip was thrown about the place and vinny while he did tackle wasn't fit to run after 20 mins......keegen gave a good honest performance but had to come back to midfield to help out on a constant basis leaving sean upfront by himself when he got the ball....

digger was amazing with some jaw dropping saves........sean prunty was the best player on the park by a long shot and i thought barry was playing with all the pointless long balls.alan if you read this we need a midfield.............if this seems a bit harsh its meant to me, embaressing performance and some of the players didn't deserve to wear the jeresy last night..

Macy
23/03/2004, 9:32 AM
How was the pitch? btw youse are giving us a far harsher write up than the papers I've seen today. Irish Times reckoned we were well on top first half.

max power
23/03/2004, 9:35 AM
the pitch was ok apart from the corner where the score board is/was, it was wet down there.....

we honestly had no midfield, sean was up front on his own with keegan dropping back to midfield..... i think i seen kirby in the warm up but that was about it, brian mc was playing his first game back and looked rusty and paisley just kept pumping the ball forward in the air,i was annoyed by the performance last night.... :confused:

the 12 th man
23/03/2004, 10:20 AM
were you not without several key players including ferguson??

Macy
23/03/2004, 10:25 AM
were you not without several key players including ferguson??
Actually, well spotted..... Max just letting his anti-Barry feelings show to get a dig in...

max power
23/03/2004, 10:42 AM
barry was suspended by his own doing so its his fault he wasn't playing and he does hoof the ball forward too much, but i never said he can't defend.....kirby, vinny, pip, murph, sean francis, paisley, brian mc....all were well below par.....if you get a copy of the video you'll see just how bad we were at times, can anyone who was at the game say we were worth going to see last night........

Xlex
23/03/2004, 10:58 AM
can anyone who was at the game say we were worth going to see last night........

said he who has no problem throwing cash at LTFC... Suppose the few hours you took to attend this game would have made you a couple of grand at all those nixers you busy doing? :D

max power
23/03/2004, 11:02 AM
xlex and macy back together....the season has started !!!! monday is my night off, we all deserve one don't we ?? if you seen the performance you would agree with me ( hard to believe but it's true )......i'd gladly do a collection for a mid fielder any day, want to throw in a few euro lads.....

xlex if i give money to de town i do so because i want to, your a fan who all talk and then when it comes to it the hand stays in the pocket.........

Xlex
23/03/2004, 11:05 AM
ah come on Max, I couldn't let a genuine opportunity go a miss... :rolleyes:

What do you know of my contribution, I support them as much as I can, in both senses of the word...

max power
23/03/2004, 11:07 AM
i've been doing a bit of magnum pi work in the last few weeks, were you at the game btw ???

do you remember that billboard/sign idea from a few months ago ???

Xlex
23/03/2004, 12:01 PM
can't believe I'm answering you.

I was in London and I'm paying as I go to games, which is damn all and I'm subscribing to the monster draw. I'll join the official supporters club too...

Your sign idea. I do, did you approch the club?

max power
23/03/2004, 12:09 PM
no not yet, i'm waitint to put all the pieces together first, where signs will go, what will be on them etc......a sort of final version of the t shirt is up for discussion, i'll send you the basic jist by PM......

your answering me because you know i'm interested in the club and have come up with some good ideas for fund raising and marketing, thats why....even if i do spend my day trying to annoy you and macy, its helps the day go by.......

Maz
23/03/2004, 2:56 PM
bad result last night but i dont think we can blame anyone individually.....digger and sean prunty were outstanding but the usuals like kirby just didn't perform!! seemly Alan Matthews wasnt impressed with sean atal!!! :confused: the second goal was a real sickener and both came from stupid mistakes at da back.......but things can only get better!! :cool: as for boo's i didnt hear anyone boo the team off da pitch max!!!

max power
23/03/2004, 3:00 PM
i heard them but didn't join in, digger and sean didn't deserve boo's only if they were all bad would they deserve boo's such as against drogs last season....

well heres hoping for a better display on sat....

Maz
23/03/2004, 3:01 PM
just on another note dessie baker (beckham) got a good write up in the sun!!! thought he was impressive myself!!

Schumi
23/03/2004, 3:02 PM
Baker looked good on the bits TV3 showed last night.

max power
23/03/2004, 3:04 PM
he was in parts but he didn't come back to defend which made seans game even harder and he still came out on top.....dessie got a very hard time from the bohs fans

IJsbrandij
23/03/2004, 3:06 PM
so what was the attendance at Longford - Bohemians ?????

max power
23/03/2004, 3:07 PM
i'd say about 1500 to 1700...it wasn't announced 9 i think it should have been )

techs
23/03/2004, 8:39 PM
Can't believe we started the season off with a defeat against a Bohs side that weren't overly impressive..I know we were missing players but so were Bohs..Anyway with the squad of players we have there's good back-up..Not many positives to take out of it though, glad I didn't see Matthews usual quotes "disappointed with the result, happy with the performance"...Myself and few others were amazed that Alan Kirby wasn't taken off last night, he was way below par and Pip too..Only midfield player Bohs had was Hunt and we should have taken advantage of that.. Surprised Keegan was taken off, thought he did well and the right time to bring Lavine on was after Caffrey was sent off not with minutes left in the game..

JayJay
24/03/2004, 9:55 AM
Look whats done is done - the important thing is that we get three points against DC next saturday. We are allowed to have a bad match the time to worry is if we start making a habbit of it.

Longfordian
24/03/2004, 1:08 PM
Couldnt make the game so just going by TV/Papers..Id be fairly sure matthews is lookin hard for a very good central midfielder. think he's hoping to pick one up out of the returnees from England, might mean someone heading Suirside if things go to plan..Definitely in need of one, Vinny hasnt got the legs for the job leavin Pip to do half of his work as well. Matthews wont be at all happy with losin to bohs n kenny, he hasnt much time for him seemingly so id expect a better performance Saturday night.. heres hopin anyway.

town73
24/03/2004, 2:37 PM
Would have been a different story had we taken any of the clear-cut chances. Kirby's miss at the start set the tone of the game for us. Conceded a sloppy first goal early on and spent the rest of the game chasing. Would be more worried if we weren't creating chances.

max power
24/03/2004, 2:39 PM
but on the other hand if digger hadn't been on from it could have been 0 5 by the end of the game.....lets just look forward to sat and a win

max power
25/03/2004, 12:55 PM
firstly i didn't boo the team and would not unless every one played badly...that wasn't the case on monday....macy you can come in any time you want, but i personally don't rate barry, i feel mcgovern is miles ahead of him, barry can defend.But when it comes to passing etc he is lacking, vinny looked very unfit but got in tackles, poor pip was just thrown around the palce.......lookin forward to sat and our first 3 points

Macy
25/03/2004, 12:58 PM
I'll come in now, just to defend Barry on the fact that he was fúckin playing on Monday, so how the fúck did his passing effect the performance. You don't rate him, he wasn't playing, you should be happy.

Typical of the stand to boo though :p

max power
25/03/2004, 1:02 PM
my god macy that was fast, its as if your stalkin me.waiting to jump on any post i put up.....they make a good team barry and brian....barry is a great defender and brain is a leader and footballer, you will agree that barry gets the ball and just hoofs it up the park, brain gives a sensible pass and is the voice at the back.........

PS

on the above you won't agree because i wrote it ;)

Macy
25/03/2004, 1:06 PM
on the above you won't agree because i wrote it ;)
I won't agree, because I don't agree - you arrogant fúcker ;)

Whether I do or don't agree - it's got nothing to do with Monday nights result!

max power
25/03/2004, 1:09 PM
my god, lately all you do is name call, ******, tool , ****er etc...is the art of debate dead ???

note for all members, if you do not agree with macy he will verbially abuse you, i hope some other mods see your use of language here and pull you up on it......

Macy
25/03/2004, 1:34 PM
Sure you can grass me up to your bouncer buddies, and totally ignore the smiley if you want... :rolleyes:

max power
25/03/2004, 1:38 PM
there was no smiley beside the other abusive comments over the last few weeks..... :confused: don't need bouncer buddies, i'll just use my red boots, ask xlex...he'll tell you all about them !!!!!

i just hope if you go on sat that you don't have to see the display i seen on monday night......

Macy
25/03/2004, 1:41 PM
I really to give up. :rolleyes:

max power
25/03/2004, 1:44 PM
no comment about other abusive language then eh ???

is that the only way you can win a debate, abusive language......

a bit sad eh......

Longfordian
25/03/2004, 1:55 PM
Just to throw in my tuppence worth on Barry/Brian, McGovern himself has been known to admit that Barry is the one doing all the organising and shouting, he hates it when Barry isnt there and so do the others by the looks of things, McGovern is still injured by the way, he shouldnt have played on Saturday but we'd nobody else.

parnell ranger
25/03/2004, 1:56 PM
methinks losin Aaron will affect ye more than ye care to admit.
We played really well last friday and its all down to the manager.
the 66/1 e/w isnt lookin as daft now esp with the trouble most of our rivals are in.

max power
25/03/2004, 1:59 PM
go home to scumlone.....i've never heard barry do the shouting, apart from at the ref...but he can defend that i will not deny.

parnell ranger
25/03/2004, 2:03 PM
methinks losin Aaron will affect ye more than ye care to admit.
We played really well last friday and its all down to the manager.
the 66/1 e/w isnt lookin as daft now esp with the trouble most of our rivals are in.

Schumi
25/03/2004, 2:05 PM
I doubt you'll be so positive after tomorrow night!

Macy
25/03/2004, 2:28 PM
is that the only way you can win a debate, abusive language......

a bit sad eh......
You're the one trying to make it personal. This was a debate about Monday's game, in which you blamed Barry's distribution when he wasn't even playing. IMO you're trying to deflect attention away from that point, by getting into another pointless and (frankly) boring row with me.

Was Barry playing on Monday? No
Therefore, can he be blamed for the distribution from the back on Monday? No

tbh I don't see where the debate is. Even if we did just go for Barry v McGovern "debate" whats the point when 1) We've done it to death 2) They both start when available anyway?

Maz
25/03/2004, 9:54 PM
i have to agree with Macy and the rest....i believe Barry is a great defender and leader for that matter! tbh i think there will be a fight between paisley and McGovern to keep their place

max power
26/03/2004, 10:53 AM
had a quick look at pat dolans page in the star this morning and he was going on about a mate of his saying the game on monday was one of the best he had ever seen in the el....anyone agree....

Wiseguy
26/03/2004, 12:54 PM
Firstly, i don't think the Town played that bad.We were on top for periods and we didn't take our chances, that we can be critical of.We were also over ran in midfield which is our problem area.The 2 goals were down to poor defending, the first also lacked communication and someone to take responsilbility.It was our 1st game of the season and the fact of the matter was and is that Bohs are a better side than us and will beat us 9 times out of ten.
Secondly, as anyone will tell you the best centre back partnership you can have is one that plays together the whole time.Barry may waist a lot of ball but he does do all the organising and talking and it was clear that was lacking on monday night.Stephen Paisley is a great prospect but he is inclined to knock it long himself.A defence needs a good organiser and that is Barry and he will be missed over the next 2 games.Brian Mc Govern is a good winner of the ball in the air and is ok on the ground aswell but lacks leadership so for me the best choice is Barry & Brian.
As for central midfield, i don't see any solutions to this problem unless we make a signing.
I still think we will have an ok season and if the team really clicks then possibly a place is Europe beckons.
And on a final note, having read through these posts somethings don't surprise me.Some people are one week on about a great team we have then the next are on about how ****e we are.We are an Ok team that is better than most but that's it.Were not ****e and were not great we win some and lose some and that is it so please stop whinging about it.

max power
26/03/2004, 1:17 PM
wiseguy you picked up on a good point there, out midfield was very bad all agreed...but the pressure this put on a centre back pairing who do not normally play together was unfair on them......keegan was dropping back which meant when sean f got the ball he had no where to turn as keegan was in midfield.....just hoping for a better display on sat and on an ongoing point , if barry made better use of the ball when he had it at his feet i wounldn't say a word against the man, its the hoofing the ball long i hate and wiseguy was correct in the fact that paisley does it also...but what do you do when you have no midfield to pass it to anyway...

Xlex
26/03/2004, 1:30 PM
The thing I can't understand in this Barry can't pass buzz is that there is nobody playing at the back for LTFC who can hit 35 - 40 yard passes anyway. :eek: so why you single out our fantastic captain for critism is beyond me.

Max Powers hero can't swing a cross to save his ass.... I always thought that the lack of strength in midfield excused the back four of involving them in setting up attacks.

the quality of the ball into the box is and has been bad and it's a long time since we were competitive at set pieces. I believe that if Baker can keep a startinmg place we may have that sorted. How about making a honest effort to play someone in the middle of the park. Does Eric want a game. I think if he made an honest fist of it he may answer some prayers.

max power
26/03/2004, 1:34 PM
anyone who can do the job in the middle is welcome.....if tom the gom wants to sign and can do the job he's welcome

Wiseguy
26/03/2004, 4:30 PM
IMO it's as simple as this.Passing a ball isn't the hardest thing in the world to do.These guys should be good enough to do this.I am not trying to be to critical of any players here but for some of the players we have in the side and have the experience they have you have to be disapointed with the attempt they make at passing.Sean Dillon, Barry, Brian Mc all have played in England but once they get the ball you can be sure they will give it away.Now these players are excellent defenders and we should count ourselves lucky to be blessed with such players but if you can't pass a ball 50 yards then don't kick it 50 yards unless it's completely necessary.Aswell as this **** all players actually try and make room for themselves to recieve a pass which leaves it all a bit flat and we end going sideways.For instance, when we have a throw in no one wants to take on the responsibility of receiving the ball and trying to do something.With Francis and Keegan we have no pace up front.Francis is a poacher and thats it.Keegan is a target man.Now when Paul Keegan is flicking on headers this usually occurs 40 yards from goal.Sean Francis neither has the skill or pace to bring the ball from there into a position where he can create a chace of scoring.Shane Barrett can.We have 3 decent players who are well able to this e.g. Baker, Kirby & Barrett.Alan Kirby has had a seroius dip in confidence or something because he is only 1/4 of the player he can be.I don't want to ramble on but we now have our strongest squad ever with the biggest potential and 3rd is up for grabs because Cork don't travel well & we do so if we can reach our potential and sort out our home form then who knows!

the 12 th man
26/03/2004, 4:53 PM
the star report on tuesday said it was very even with longford on top for a good period of the game.so i suppose if your dissapointed with the result you can be over critical of your own team

boots
27/03/2004, 9:33 PM
just a quick question.. why wasnt Barrett started?
One of the star strikers of last season who has the ability to terrorise any prem league defence as proven many times. Why do we always seem to end up with "proven journeymen" up front. Francis is a quality goalscorer but hes never gonna skin the centre half to make the chance... and lets face it if bohs didnt want keegan why are we starting him? this underachievement complex is very frustrating.
ANd i suppose its this same complex that led AM to letting Adrian Murphy go to Athlone completely an untried quantity in the premier league. With already 3 goals in 2 games i dont think his talent is in doubt. (which was already proven in the u 21 squad when at 16 he singlehandedly tore experienced defences apart, even to a greater degree than barrett who played in the same team. I should know, i played with them) And i know the huge gap in standard etc. but when was the last time a LTFC player did that when we were in the first?? And at just gone 18 years of age..

another season of mid table mediocricy looms...... :confused:

Xlex
29/03/2004, 8:52 AM
another season of mid table mediocricy looms...... :confused:

that's the greatest load of rubbish I've ever encountered. Finishing 4th and 5th is no mean achievement.