PDA

View Full Version : National League United !!

bennocelt
04/03/2010, 2:55 PM
Just wondering if any else has memories of this club
A kind of pre internet club for fans of LOI football, doing through the wonders of post. I was a brief member, and remember having to send in player of the month forms, etc. Think they had monthly meetings up in Dublin, was run by a passionate UCD fan (is he on this site??? Not Pineapple STu:p?)

Mayo Red
04/03/2010, 9:41 PM
Just wondering if any else has memories of this club
A kind of pre internet club for fans of LOI football, doing through the wonders of post. I was a brief member, and remember having to send in player of the month forms, etc. Think they had monthly meetings up in Dublin, was run by a passionate UCD fan (is he on this site??? Not Pineapple STu:p?)

Jesus, there's a blast from the past! I wasn't a member or anything but I remember it. Wasn't its aim to promote LOI football and act as a sort of defacto lobby group on issues relating to the LOI around the mid-1990's if I recall correctly?

pineapple stu
05/03/2010, 8:10 AM
CollegeTillIDie, an ex-poster here, was the UCD fan involved. It was set up to keep Wimbledon out of Dublin initially.

Dodge
05/03/2010, 10:11 AM
It definitely wasn't pre-internet

I remember most sides has a No to Dublin Dons banner (and then a no Clydebank in Dublin one too)

Macy
05/03/2010, 12:27 PM
It definitely wasn't pre-internet
I would've said into the 2000's

bennocelt
05/03/2010, 4:48 PM
CollegeTillIDie, an ex-poster here, was the UCD fan involved. It was set up to keep Wimbledon out of Dublin initially.

yeah well was before I had the net or most people:D. remember they had their pic in the papers and all with the Player of the month, etc
Why was he banned? Does he still go to UCD games?
I went with him to the Celtic - Derry - newcastle tournament years ago, gave him a spare ticket, he really was an eye opener for me at the time since i wasnt into the LOI at all and he was mad into Derry city beating Celtic, really excited about this. So I was curious to know was he on this site!!!! Tx:D
People like that are really a credit to the league, keeping the flame and all burning................

Dodge
05/03/2010, 5:12 PM
I would've said into the 2000's

If I was to guess a year I'd go wtih about 97

Macy
08/03/2010, 1:22 PM
If I was to guess a year I'd go wtih about 97
I was more getting at they were still active into the 2000's. I remember going to one of their forums in Wynn's and that must have been 2000 at the earliest. Rico was on the panel, can't remember who else.

Dodge
08/03/2010, 1:52 PM
yeah, thats seems about right. This site (phootball) came on stream in 2001, and I think it really started take off a year later.

NLU was long gone by then