PDA

View Full Version : Drogheda

pineapple stu
04/03/2010, 9:57 AM
We're into the Collingwood Cup Final with a team which has been getting a bit weaker with progress given that the Drogheda game's on Friday. There's been a couple of minor knocks - to Ger Barron, Robbie Creevy and Gareth Matthews - but hopefully nothing that'll keep people out of the league game. We're up against UCG today in the final. Drogheda's a big big game to start off with; with Bohs coming next week, I think avoiding defeat is a must. Very doable too, looking at Drogheda's squad.

DmanDmythDledge
04/03/2010, 10:16 AM
Barron's is hardly a minor knock, I thought concussion is an automatic layoff?

Very doable too, looking at Drogheda's squad.
Not looking at ours though, Kilduff is our only player that would get into their team.

http://foot.ie/threads/131701-2010-squads?p=1328443&viewfull=1#post1328443

Their defence is still very good, Brennan-McNally-Harris-Kendrick is quite a bit better than what we have.

A combination from two of Daly, King, McGill in midfield will be stronger than what we can put in there.

A draw would be an excellent result.

pineapple stu
04/03/2010, 10:28 AM
I don't know what knocks they were; I just know there were "minor injuries (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/index.php?a=435)".

You reckon Corry or Ev for starters wouldn't get into Drogheda's team? They're fairly weak up front too, it seems; Robbie Martin and Glen Fitz shouuldn't exactly be daunting if they get the nod.

DmanDmythDledge
04/03/2010, 10:31 AM
Ev, no chance. No way he's better than McNally or Harris. Corry's close, I haven't seen much of him, but going by what I heard he wouldn't be better than King or Daly.

Martin and Fitz aren't daunting at all, neither is Dave McMillan though unfortunately.

pineapple stu
04/03/2010, 10:32 AM
Corry's better than Kinger. I thought what you're thinking about Dave Mc last year too; he proved me pretty wrong.

Good to be back at football, with the manic depressive dman back too. :p

You heading up?

DmanDmythDledge
04/03/2010, 10:37 AM
Nope, can't make a game till the 19th. Whoever that's against, better check now.

Sligo away on the 17th April is the only fixture I know other than the first two. ;)

pineapple stu
04/03/2010, 10:38 AM
19th March? Away to UCD. I mean, Pat's.

DRDoc
04/03/2010, 11:02 AM
I would take Evan over Harris anyday

I would take Nangle over Kendrick also

DRDoc
04/03/2010, 11:03 AM
I would take Peter McMahon ahead of Fitzpatrick also I think

WindmillWarrior
04/03/2010, 12:25 PM
Their defence is still very good, Brennan-McNally-Harris-Kendrick is quite a bit better than what we have.

A combination from two of Daly, King, McGill in midfield will be stronger than what we can put in there.

I'd imagine we'll line up something like this -

Skinner,
Treacy, McNally, Harris, Kendrick
B McGill, Daly, Crowley, Duffy/King
Flood, Fitzy

pineapple stu
04/03/2010, 12:42 PM

Missed this edit.

I think Harding-Boyle-Ev-Shorty
Corry-Creevy

Is certainly not "quite a bit" worse than Drogs'. I think we're reasonably evenly matched to be honest, although granted I (and you) haven't seen much of the Premier in the last 12 months or so. Been impressed by Creevy particularly in pre-season.

Poor Student
05/03/2010, 11:13 PM
3-0 to UCD, top of the league!:) Exciting free flowing football for large parts of the game, we really cut right through Drogheda. In truth, we could have won by more, Kilduff in particular. Great start to the season, lets hope we can carry the confidence built from this into the Bohs game.

pineapple stu
06/03/2010, 10:25 AM
Go on dman - admit it... You're delighted to be so wrong. :p

Hope to pick up the video on Tuesday, so highlights by the end of the week, touch wood. Might even need two YouTube files. :)

Martinho II
06/03/2010, 5:13 PM
Go on dman - admit it... You're delighted to be so wrong. :p

Hope to pick up the video on Tuesday, so highlights by the end of the week, touch wood. Might even need two YouTube files. :)

good days for the college lads.. top end of last season and top start of this season.. not often this happens congrats and keep up the good work!!

Poor Student
06/03/2010, 6:40 PM
good days for the college lads.. top end of last season and top start of this season.. not often this happens congrats and keep up the good work!!

The winning mentality carried over from last season obviously helps. Sometimes a relegation can be good to clear the decks and rebuild, only if you come straight back up though. I've rarely see us play so comfortably away from home. We controlled the game from the off and dictated the play for large periods. The ease at which we could through the Drogheda defence worries me a little as it indicates a very poor standard of opposition. The size of our budget, our off season lack of transfer activity and the fact we are down Finn and Reilly were missing Cory and Evan MacMillan amongst others suggests we shouldn't really be going away from home and thrashing anyone. I hope we're going to continue punching above our weight this season and I'm very much looking forward to the Bohs game in Belfield.

pineapple stu
07/03/2010, 6:14 PM
Last time it happened was when we beat ye 2-1 at the start of the 2001/02 season; we were playing on Thursday and played our round 2 match before anyone else. Think Ciaran Martyn scored, it was that long ago.

Martinho II
07/03/2010, 6:56 PM
Last time it happened was when we beat ye 2-1 at the start of the 2001/02 season; we were playing on Thursday and played our round 2 match before anyone else. Think Ciaran Martyn scored, it was that long ago.

yeah I remember the game as we had just beaten cork city 4-1 the first day of the season and we were top on goals scored. until ye beat us..

DRDoc
10/03/2010, 9:59 AM
I would take Evan over Harris anyday

I would take Nangle over Kendrick also

Anyone agreeing with me now?!

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2010, 8:25 PM
I wasn't at the game but one game is not going to change my opinion on any player based on several seasons of playing in the League of Ireland. Harris is 30 now so it's not inconceivable that he could have regressed but that remains to be seen over the remainder of the season, one game proves nothing.

pineapple stu
09/04/2010, 9:46 AM
Highlights -
PAuSamgufMg

I wonder, in the light of Drogheda conceding 15 goals in their first six games compared to our five, if dman'd still like to swap defences? :p