PDA

View Full Version : Finn Harps

Ronnie
04/03/2010, 9:09 AM
Well here we go again. Must say I'm looking forward to Saturday, putting on me colours and roaring us on. Quietly optimistic we'll have a good season, although with Cork and Derry no relaistic promotion chance. C'mon de Town!

Acornvilla
04/03/2010, 9:43 AM
i think we can get off to a good start team seems a lot stronger this year, then again almost everyones squad has improved.. it's gooing to be tough but i'm just glad footballs back :)

RonnieB
04/03/2010, 10:43 AM
Won't be able to make it sadly ( and a lot of other games this season :( ) but heres hoping for a positive result from the off. If our previous starts to the season are anything to go by then it could be a high scoring affair!

Sam_Heggy
04/03/2010, 10:47 AM
Looking forward to it lads, ill be down on Saturday.
I must say I'm pretty optimistic about our season also. We have assembled an impressive side this season and should be one of the stronger sides this season.

Longfordian
04/03/2010, 11:07 AM
I think there's 7 or 8 teams that all feel they've strengthened significantly or have a squad strong enough to be at the top end in Cork and Derry's case. It's going to be an interesting season. Time will tell which squads do what's expected. Cosuins is aiming for top half and I think that's realistic. I don't see us getting ahead of Cork, Derry, Waterford, and Shels for starters. Worth bearing in mind we have brought in 18 new players so it may take a little time to gel or we may be lucky and they click straight away. The good thing is most of them have had a full pre-season together now.

De Town
04/03/2010, 11:41 AM
I haven't been this excited about a new season in a long time! It's strange how many teams in the 1st division feel they have strengthened significantly during the off season. Although I haven't seen any of our pre season games so far, I think judging by the names who have come in that a top half finish is definitely within our reach. Would be nice to get off to a good start on Saturday night. Harps fans seem pretty optimistic as well so it should be a tough game to start with. Here's hoping for a win! :)

Martinho II
04/03/2010, 4:47 PM
for the first time in four years I m feeling good about the coming season.. Sam Heggy dont be shy in making yourself known if you are in the clubhouse at half time as I will be working the room at half time to get more members for the supporters club and I may come across you!:p

Keen2win
04/03/2010, 8:32 PM
We better score our quota of five before half time because I'm afraid I'll have to leave then!

Keen2win
04/03/2010, 8:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_Ti9A1kW8

Martinho II
05/03/2010, 6:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY_Ti9A1kW8

damn you keen2win you beat me to it!:(

this originally appeared on the podcast for the longford leader.ie website just to give ye info on it!

Acornvilla
06/03/2010, 9:47 AM
gay!!! i don't know of i'm going to make it tonight.. i'm working till 8 :(

Longfordian
06/03/2010, 2:00 PM
Shanahan is a doubt apparently, that could be very bad.

Keen2win
06/03/2010, 3:54 PM
AcornVilla, we may require your services

Martinho II
06/03/2010, 4:42 PM
Shanahan is a doubt apparently, that could be very bad.

was wondering was Stephen Conlon was very chirpy on the Harps match on his facebook page!!:eek:

De Town
06/03/2010, 9:23 PM
Great to get the win to start the season! Harps bossed the 1st half and were deservedly in the lead come half time, although Lester smacked a beauty off the crossbar and I thought we should have had a penalty when Hynes tried to hook a shot over his shoulder and the Harps defender seemed to have his arms up to block it. We were much better in the 2nd half, McEvoy made a huge difference in the middle of the park and him and Lester worked well together, McEvoy looks a cracking player. The 2 quickfire goals came as a surprise to everyone I think! We were dominating at this stage and scored a third from a quality delivery from Lester's corner. The Harps defending for all 3 goals was fairly shocking though. The Cronin brothers then decided to run into eachother and gift Harps a 2nd goal, but we managed to hold on with a Town post being struck in the last few minutes.

Overall I was impressed, with McEvoy and the right winger (Brady is it?) the pick of the bunch for me. Shanahan better be back asap as well, keeper was very dodgy.

Sam_Heggy
07/03/2010, 3:49 PM
What's the story with the Half time draw last night folks?
We all paid for our tickets yet there was no draw made, or if it was made it was never announced.

Martinho II
07/03/2010, 5:53 PM
We all paid for our tickets yet there was no draw made, or if it was made it was never announced.
well sam heggy its news to me on this. leave with me and i will ask the club themselves over the coming days...

L.T.F.C.
07/03/2010, 5:58 PM

It was definitely announced! 423 or something, he said salmon coloured ticket.

As for the match, the performance didn't set my world alight. First half was poor, but Cousins must have said something cos it was very different after. Lester's crossing was exceptional, he has some right boot on him. I was very happy with Conlon in goal.
I was impressed to with our wingers and Glynn did some nice stuff too. Hynes was unbearably lazy.

Martinho II
07/03/2010, 6:00 PM
Great to get the win to start the season! Harps bossed the 1st half and were deservedly in the lead come half time, although Lester smacked a beauty off the crossbar and I thought we should have had a penalty when Hynes tried to hook a shot over his shoulder and the Harps defender seemed to have his arms up to block it. We were much better in the 2nd half, McEvoy made a huge difference in the middle of the park and him and Lester worked well together, McEvoy looks a cracking player. The 2 quickfire goals came as a surprise to everyone I think! We were dominating at this stage and scored a third from a quality delivery from Lester's corner. The Harps defending for all 3 goals was fairly shocking though. The Cronin brothers then decided to run into eachother and gift Harps a 2nd goal, but we managed to hold on with a Town post being struck in the last few minutes.

Overall I was impressed, with McEvoy and the right winger (Brady is it?) the pick of the bunch for me. Shanahan better be back asap as well, keeper was very dodgy.

It was a great game to watch.. in fairness to conlon in the second half he was a lot better and did extremely well to hold onto a few high crosses his kickin still needs to improve though.. Brady and McDonagh on opposite wings were revelations and at long last we have someone with their quality of their frees thats way better than the majestic stewie holt johnny lester... He has some shot on him... I have never seen hit shots with power like him before..

its a great start for the season and hopefully we keep things intact for the monaghan trip next week.. happy days..:)

Cabs88
07/03/2010, 6:18 PM
very pleasing leaving flancare last night, some very good prosects and although its important we keep our feet on the ground after only one result, I do think there is good promise among the players we have. A noticeable plus last night was not elder players barking orders and shouting at players a la kenny and gough last season, plenty of encouragement and team spirit evident. McEvoy impressed when coming on and i thought lester was excellent in the centre of the park, he has a good footballing brain and his distribution was excellent throughout. Both wingers performed well and its a good sign the style of football we are trying to play. Long may it continue..

Martinho II
07/03/2010, 6:52 PM
It was definitely announced! 423 or something, he said salmon coloured ticket.

As for the match, the performance didn't set my world alight. First half was poor, but Cousins must have said something cos it was very different after. Lester's crossing was exceptional, he has some right boot on him. I was very happy with Conlon in goal.
I was impressed to with our wingers and Glynn did some nice stuff too. Hynes was unbearably lazy.

I got that confirmed with one of the committee members earlier and he said that it was defintely announced on the stroke of halftime..

Martinho II
09/03/2010, 10:39 AM
bit of useless information for ye all.. this was towns first win against finn harps since july 05 when gary cronin scored for us in a 1-0 win in flancare... the long drought is over...:D

hollocaine
09/03/2010, 1:45 PM
Didn't make it to the game, but did McDonagh or Deans score the 3rd goal? Town website has Deans as the scorer but everywhere else has JP.

Longfordian
09/03/2010, 1:50 PM
Wasn't there myself but those that were reckon it was Deans. The announcer called out McDonagh but he could well have been mixed up!.

De Town
09/03/2010, 8:45 PM
Didn't make it to the game, but did McDonagh or Deans score the 3rd goal? Town website has Deans as the scorer but everywhere else has JP.

Definitely Deans, header from a Lester corner.

kelvomcc
09/03/2010, 9:54 PM
Announcer messed up the added time aswell so its entirely possible he did likewise for Deans' goal!

Martinho II
10/03/2010, 10:05 AM
good interview with TC on the longford town website.. Tc states that it was deans that got the last goal and he got a lot of slagging from the dressing room cos all the media reported it was McDonagh! :eek:

www.ltfc.ie