PDA

View Full Version : "RTÉ to screen even more domestic soccer"

Pages : [1] 2

Mr A
03/03/2010, 3:53 PM
From RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0303/airtricityleague.html)

RTÉ Television has confirmed a 50% increase in its live Airtricity League coverage as part of its commitment to domestic Irish soccer for the coming season.

RTÉ Television will broadcast 15 live games from the Airtricity League, an increase from 10 games last season, beginning with current League Champions, Bohemians, playing newly promoted Sporting Fingal this Friday 5th March at 7.30pm on RTÉ Two.

RTÉ Television will also broadcast both FAI Ford Cup semi-finals plus the final itself.

fionnsci
03/03/2010, 4:14 PM
Is it actaully part of their "commitment" or is it not down to a monetary deal struck with the FAI?

Dodge
03/03/2010, 4:36 PM
I'm fairly certain they signed a deal a couple f years ago to build towards showing 30 (ish) games a season

Still, it does help

dong
03/03/2010, 4:42 PM
Is it actaully part of their "commitment" or is it not down to a monetary deal struck with the FAI?

I think it was a monetary deal struck with the FAI alright.
Still, no matter what the motives, it can only be a good thing.

Riddickcule
03/03/2010, 4:42 PM
Wow! 15 live games up from 10, we really are making progress.

So how many have Setanta got lined up?

Fester
03/03/2010, 4:58 PM
Wow! 15 live games up from 10, we really are making progress.

So how many have Setanta got lined up?

TG4 show more live games than Setanta. Dont even mention ITV I mean TV3.

redbuli
03/03/2010, 5:05 PM
anyone know roughly how many games tg4 did screen last year

Riddickcule
03/03/2010, 5:06 PM
TG4 shows Galway games 80% of the time, whats going on there?

Also, does anyone else think that a 7.30 programme start for a 7.35 kick off is a tad bit disrespectful for the league?

Martinho II
03/03/2010, 5:15 PM

Also, does anyone else think that a 7.30 programme start for a 7.35 kick off is a tad bit disrespectful for the league?

agree with you on the latter point... you have to have a decent preview otherwise its too rushed...

Mayo Red
03/03/2010, 5:28 PM
More games screened live has to be good news but the situation regarding the screening of our clubs European games is still a disgrace. It was criminal that the Bohs v Salzburg tie wasn't shown last season.:(

galwayjames
03/03/2010, 5:34 PM
good news but they need to show the champions league or at least some european games this year.

also having a 5 minute preview is a disgrace, it should start at 7.15pm, so that there is some preview without boring the ordinary viewer

Boo_Boy
03/03/2010, 5:35 PM
but the situation regarding the screening of our clubs European games is still a disgrace. It was criminal that the Bohs v Salzburg tie wasn't shown last season.:(

Me > RTE.

I'll stream the euro games this year too I guess.

Mayo Red
03/03/2010, 5:39 PM
Me > RTE.

I'll stream the euro games this year too I guess.

No better man!!:cool:;)

Soccer Mom
03/03/2010, 5:42 PM

Here's a quote from John Delaney in the 2008 FAI Annual Report: "Prime time terrestrial television coverage through RTE's Monday Night Soccer programme remains secure for the League of Ireland, since the FAI agreed to forgo €4m in revenue from its international rights agreement with RTE"

May have something to do with it.

osarusan
03/03/2010, 5:44 PM
I'm happy to hear the news about more games being screened. Hopefully games are chosen for broadcast with the help of somebody who has a decent idea of which games will be worth showing.

Have to say I'm not too bothered about only 5 minutes preview either.

Riddickcule
03/03/2010, 5:53 PM
Sure the FAI Cup final only had like 30 mins preview at the most, anyone remember? Someone should write to RTE and demand european footy this year! I think Bohs and Rovers could do quite well this year, who knows one of them might get into the Europa League Group Stage.Let alone the CL Group Stage.

dong
03/03/2010, 6:02 PM
Sure the FAI Cup final only had like 30 mins preview at the most, anyone remember? Someone should write to RTE and demand european footy this year! I think Bohs and Rovers could do quite well this year, who knows one of them might get into the Europa League Group Stage.Let alone the CL Group Stage.

I did at the time. I'm sure plenty of others did too. This was the reply I received from Stephen Alkin which, I believe, was the standard reply for any queries on the matter:

Many thanks for your email.

I fully understand your frustration and annoyance over the lack of coverage of the Bohemians Champions League tie. We simply do not have the budgets and resources to cover every event. Your complaint is not unique and fans of other sports are often as vocal when an event they would like to see televised does not materialise. Unfortunately in a very competitive and expensive market we can only do so much.
For obvious commercial reasons I am not prepared to put a figure on the actual cost to RTE to cover this particular match. Suffice it to say that between the facilities costs (outside broadcast, studio and satellites) and a rights fee we are talking about many tens of thousands.
Our commitment to Irish soccer is significant. RTE Sport provides a prime time highlights show in the league season that covers every match (MNS). We are also committed to 13 live League and Cup games in this season – a figure that will significantly increase to 33 games in the coming years. We also have the rights to all the remaining games in Ireland’s World Cup qualifying campaign and the rights to broadcast the World Cup Finals next June. That package, by any standard, is comprehensive and a clear commitment to the Irish game.
I have no doubt that this explanation will not appease your disappointment but I do hope it will help you to understand the rationale.

Kind Regards,
Stephen Alkin
Exec Producer RTE TV Sport

peadar1987
03/03/2010, 6:18 PM

Probably the same reason RTÉ show Bohs games 95% of the time. Just a short hop away from the HQ.

Defo. To be honest, I think a little segment getting people to connect with the league is at least as important as the actual coverage. A couple of player profiles, a segment about the local area and what the club means to it, that sort of thing.

Riddickcule
03/03/2010, 6:25 PM
Still doesn't answer the question really.lol

CuanaD
03/03/2010, 6:53 PM
Also, does anyone else think that a 7.30 programme start for a 7.35 kick off is a tad bit disrespectful for the league?Totally agree with you there - the RTE times are designed to fit into the smallest slot possible - 7.30 to 9.30 - this gives them up to 5 mins at the start, 5 for time added, & 5 to rap-up. I'd love to see them change it to as 7.30-10 show, with the game back to the 7.45 ko - giving a decent 20+ minutes of interviews & analysis after the game.

I think the build-up & analysis are a large part of getting the casual observers interested in the game & from there, the league.

SkStu
03/03/2010, 7:02 PM
I think the build-up & analysis are a large part of getting the casual observers interested in the game & from there, the league.

agreed - thats exactly how Sky got everyone loving the premiership - gorrilla hands Keyes and cheeky scotsman Andy Gray ratcheting up the drama for 2 hours before Burnley and Blackburn proceed to bore you to sleep....

Redkenrover
03/03/2010, 7:23 PM
Ah Sky, the masters of hype. If my memory serves me correctly, when the big hulabaloo over selling the rights of our home competitive International matches to sky broke a number of years ago, one of the reasons given for the switch from rte, along with the increase in fee, was that sky were to provide a highlights programme for the domestic league.
This might be why we have suddenly an increase in coverage. Doubt very much rte have the promotion of our league closest to their heart. Maybe I'm being too cynical!!
They seem to do the bare minimum when it comes to live match coverage.
While MNS is a move in the right direction and has to be applauded, some of the match analysis is a joke. I think it was the home game v St Pats last season where they never mentioned "Sligo Rovers" in the post highlights discussion, despite the fact we won the match 2-0. Would like to see more football action and then analysis on that match rather than the waffle that goes on sometimes

galwayjames
03/03/2010, 7:24 PM
Doubt very much rte have the promotion of our league closest to their heart. Maybe I'm being too cynical!!

No, you're spot on.

Mayo Red
03/03/2010, 7:32 PM
No, you're spot on.

He is very cynical though!!;)

Redkenrover
03/03/2010, 7:51 PM
He is very cynical though!!;)

It's the people around me that have made me that way!

Mayo Red
03/03/2010, 8:04 PM
It's the people around me that have made me that way!

Not to mention your recent media experience!

Redkenrover
03/03/2010, 8:29 PM
Not to mention your recent media experience!

I was always told I had a great face for radio alright!:D
I assume its that and not my crimeline appearance you're on about!

madblaa
03/03/2010, 10:09 PM
Sure it only stands to reason that the RTÉ'll be showing a lot more "Irish" football, with all those extra teams from Dublin in the Premier Division!

Riddickcule
03/03/2010, 10:53 PM
Why does the current deal run till 2012 when the Fai are ceasing control of the league in 2011, does this imply that whatever "new" league is set up beyond 2011 (not suggesting anything here btw*)that RTEngland will continue to broadcast games in this new *cough..league.

*Hint of sarcasm, just a slight one.

peadar1987
03/03/2010, 11:07 PM
Are the FAI giving up control of the league? I thought it was just that the current deal runs out then, and it was generally assumed that a new one will be agreed. To be honest, I think the league is better off with the FAI in charge, clowns though they may be.

Dunny
03/03/2010, 11:10 PM
The league has a new sponsor/name, but the FAI stay in control.

bennocelt
04/03/2010, 8:31 AM
I did at the time. I'm sure plenty of others did too. This was the reply I received from Stephen Alkin which, I believe, was the standard reply for any queries on the matter:

Many thanks for your email.

I fully understand your frustration and annoyance over the lack of coverage of the Bohemians Champions League tie. We simply do not have the budgets and resources to cover every event. Your complaint is not unique and fans of other sports are often as vocal when an event they would like to see televised does not materialise. Unfortunately in a very competitive and expensive market we can only do so much.
For obvious commercial reasons I am not prepared to put a figure on the actual cost to RTE to cover this particular match. Suffice it to say that between the facilities costs (outside broadcast, studio and satellites) and a rights fee we are talking about many tens of thousands.

Kind Regards,
Stephen Alkin
Exec Producer RTE TV Sport

what a load of bull
look at the quality of rubbish they show come the gah season, seriously how much does it cost to show Longford Gaa or Mayo playing, and who cares?

Réiteoir
04/03/2010, 10:41 AM
I'm looking forward with great anticipation for the details from RTÉ for their regular live radio coverage of the League this year...

Dodge
04/03/2010, 10:56 AM
what a load of bull
look at the quality of rubbish they show come the gah season, seriously how much does it cost to show Longford Gaa or Mayo playing, and who cares?
GAA ratings are far higher than the LOI. I wouldn't watch it at gunpoint but we simply can't provide the numbers to RTE to make it worht their while

bennocelt
04/03/2010, 11:13 AM
GAA ratings are far higher than the LOI. I wouldn't watch it at gunpoint but we simply can't provide the numbers to RTE to make it worht their while

Thats not always the case though - a good few games where RTe have shown Longford, Westmeath, etc haven't really been that big of a hit with the viewers. I could be wrong but I thought that the LOi got decent enough viewership figures?
And how much of it is down to (over) exposure. On a Saturday, hell I have even watched the Gah. If we hype it a little better, and the FAI take their fingers out of their a%% then maybe..........

peadar1987
04/03/2010, 11:34 AM

I watched it at gunpoint once. Made it infinitely more exciting! ;)

EivissaPaul
04/03/2010, 8:55 PM
last year was the first year i had an Irish Sky card in the bar in Spain and on friday nights etc i would have TG4 or Rte on showing whoever was playing. As an avid Rovers fan they were featured several times last season which was great for me as a Rovers fan. Its a big improvement on quality of how RTE used to portray Irish football. This however i think is a long way off what it should be. Either way I get to have RTE/TG4 coverage in Spain so i'm happy. The more they show the better!

Mayo Red
04/03/2010, 9:05 PM
what a load of bull

Well I for one don't anyways!!;)

Acornvilla
05/03/2010, 11:23 AM
Well I for one don't anyways!!;)

beat me too it damn you :)

Réiteoir
05/03/2010, 12:06 PM
Anyone spot the deliberate mistake with the Preview of tonight on the RTÉ.ie website?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0305/aitrtricityleague.html

atfconline
05/03/2010, 12:11 PM
Anyone spot the deliberate mistake with the Preview of tonight on the RTÉ.ie website?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0305/aitrtricityleague.html

The photo caption?

pineapple stu
05/03/2010, 12:16 PM
There shouldn't be a comma in the phrase "The wait is over, as the domestic game"

Either that, or there shouldn't be anything about the domestic game on the RTÉ site...

harpstilidie
05/03/2010, 1:22 PM
The photo caption?

They have the First Division players in the pic instead of Premier players. They also have Airtricity spelt wrong under the pic.

Dodge
05/03/2010, 1:37 PM
Weird the way they have Pats v galway in bold

For a second there I thought RTE had figured out who I followed. Which is a fair step up for them considering they can't pick out the Premier Division jersies

Rocky77
05/03/2010, 2:45 PM
what a load of bull

I do...

bennocelt
05/03/2010, 3:48 PM
I do...

Good lad!!

Rocky77
05/03/2010, 10:52 PM
Good lad!!

That's just what my mammy tells me too...

awec
06/03/2010, 12:50 PM
Any news like this is good news for the league. A problem we had in the Irish League was that BBC and UTV's coverage of games was extremely poor and extremely amateur. When you have commentators who don't even know the players names and commentators that clearly don't do any research before a game it doesn't show the league in good light on TV. However, I suspect that RTÉ are much better in this respect and televising games is a good way to promote the product. We got over our BBC and UTV problem with the SKY deal and the quality of coverage is 100 times better. We have commentators who know players names and extensive research is done on both teams and every player before each game. It's the small things like this that matter.

Bohs11
06/03/2010, 1:23 PM
Does anybody know whether or not the fact they have aquired the rights for the Magners League will affect the number of love games they will be showing?

gustavo
06/03/2010, 1:36 PM
Any news like this is good news for the league. A problem we had in the Irish League was that BBC and UTV's coverage of games was extremely poor and extremely amateur. When you have commentators who don't even know the players names and commentators that clearly don't do any research before a game it doesn't show the league in good light on TV. However, I suspect that RTÉ are much better in this respect and televising games is a good way to promote the product. We got over our BBC and UTV problem with the SKY deal and the quality of coverage is 100 times better. We have commentators who know players names and extensive research is done on both teams and every player before each game. It's the small things like this that matter.

I notice that the research done here for live games is usually spot on in terms of player recognition,Less so for weekly highlights where they made countless errors on MNS last season in getting our player names right