PDA

View Full Version : The face behind the name

chippydevlin
03/03/2010, 11:52 AM
I would like to suggest organising a fan forum between the users of the Bray Wanderers Foot.ie forum and the management of Bray Wanderers. There are so many rumours and absolute drivel spoken about the club on this forum, that its about time that people put a face to their name.

It's all very easy to write and suggest things to the club on this forum, most of which are absolute rubbish, and by clearly by people that dont know what they are talking about. So why not listen to the clubs' side of things from the management perspective. I would like to see who would agree to this meeting and I will get the wheels in motion with the club. Hopefully by organising the General Manager Jack O'Neill, Manager Eddie Gormley and Director of Football Pat Devlin to be in attendance at it.

Who would be up for attending and stop hiding behind their web alias?!

Roo69
03/03/2010, 1:40 PM
Good luck with that one Chippy...... if that is your real name :p

Grasshopper 99
03/03/2010, 2:06 PM
good idea chippy, wanna put a name to your foot.ie name, we all know who roo69 is, i can put at least names on 12 people on this site that email the club with ideas.

Stevo Da Gull
03/03/2010, 2:32 PM
In principle, it's a good idea. Anyhting that strengthens the bond between a club and it's supporters is a good thing. What exactly would be discussed though? Jack and Eddie are very busy people, I'd assume Pat Devlin is as well so we'd need to be sure of a decent turn out and a discussion of real issues. I do remember Devo writing a note in a match program a few years ago to express his disgust at people hiding behind keyboards and attacking the team, so you are onto something.

The biggest problem would likely be that the people who would attend would probably be the ones who are already known to the club. In which case, we'd all sit around and have a nice chat but it wouldn't make a difference to what get's posted on here. That might sound pessimistic, but I think it's a real possibility. That's not to say it's a bad idea though. Another thing worth noting is that people are free to post to what they like (within the rules/laws) and that what one person sees to be drivel will be seen as the truth by another. If it's within the rules and the law, there's nothing that can be done about it. Generally speaking, if you hop onto the forum of any club in the UK you'll find heaps of hotly contested threads because of posts attacking their own clubs. I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to change things, but don't get yourself too worked up over this. It's an internet forum and I'd be shocked if there weren't ridiculous posts. I also wouldn't like it if everyone was in total agreement with one another.. ugh ;)

KK77
03/03/2010, 3:34 PM
In principle, it's a good idea. Anyhting that strengthens the bond between a club and it's supporters is a good thing. What exactly would be discussed though? Jack and Eddie are very busy people, I'd assume Pat Devlin is as well so we'd need to be sure of a decent turn out and a discussion of real issues. I do remember Devo writing a note in a match program a few years ago to express his disgust at people hiding behind keyboards and attacking the team, so you are onto something.
The biggest problem would likely be that the people who would attend would probably be the ones who are already known to the club. In which case, we'd all sit around and have a nice chat but it wouldn't make a difference to what get's posted on here. That might sound pessimistic, but I think it's a real possibility. That's not to say it's a bad idea though. Another thing worth noting is that people are free to post to what they like (within the rules/laws) and that what one person sees to be drivel will be seen as the truth by another. If it's within the rules and the law, there's nothing that can be done about it. Generally speaking, if you hop onto the forum of any club in the UK you'll find heaps of hotly contested threads because of posts attacking their own clubs. I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to change things, but don't get yourself too worked up over this. It's an internet forum and I'd be shocked if there weren't ridiculous posts. I also wouldn't like it if everyone was in total agreement with one another.. ugh ;)

So should we get rid of forums or should be just say what people want to hear and not give honest opinions?

Captain2007
03/03/2010, 5:13 PM
good idea chippy, wanna put a name to your foot.ie name, we all know who roo69 is, i can put at least names on 12 people on this site that email the club with ideas.

Is "Chippy" Pat Devlin in disguise ?

peadar1987
03/03/2010, 6:13 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if anyone knew me outside of the forum (Name's Peter Collings).

I had a meeting with Jack O'Neill about a year ago as a result of an email I sent the club. The impression I got was that the club really do appreciate any ideas thrown their way, but that the main problem is that there is never any money to implement them. They're not just ignoring us for the craic, as some people seem to suggest.

Riddickcule
03/03/2010, 6:46 PM
This should be the role of the new trust that is coming into place surely?

Stevo Da Gull
03/03/2010, 7:46 PM
So should we get rid of forums or should be just say what people want to hear and not give honest opinions?

That's what I tried to say in my message too. The last thing anyone should want is censorship/dictatorship.

chippydevlin
04/03/2010, 3:06 AM
Thanks for your replies and comments to my post lads.

I am going to try and arrange this fans forum meeting with the club, and i feel they will have the time to sit down and meet us. The views of some of the people on this forum are absolutely obsurd and quite clearly show that some of you don't even have the basic understanding of how a club at League of Ireland level has to operate. It is important from our behalf as people who write on this forum and express our opinion to put a face to the name at this stage. I feel then they might listen to some of our opinions a lot more effectively, and proactively.

Don't worry I have no problem revealing my identity in public! And sorry Captain2007, no, i ain't Pat Devlin in disguise....

It will be very interesting to see how many of the foot.ie Bray "fans" actually turn up to the meeting. I will keep you posted on further developments. ;)

peadar1987
04/03/2010, 8:58 AM
Well, as much as I love the club, there's no chance I'm going to get back from Scotland to make any meetings. Best of luck with it!

tippex
04/03/2010, 11:59 AM
This should be the role of the new trust that is coming into place surely?

It is one of the roles alright.
But the one thisng to remember is that the trust is being set up to be 100% independent of both the club and the supporters club.