PDA

View Full Version : League of Ireland Feature on RTE Radio 1

Soccer Mom
02/03/2010, 2:16 PM
Just heard that Derek Mooney will feature an article on the League of Ireland / Shamrock Rovers on today's show that has just started.

D.24saint
02/03/2010, 2:29 PM
Couldnt bear listening to Derek Mooney he has to be the master of inane radio chatter

Soccer Mom
02/03/2010, 2:50 PM
Couldnt bear listening to Derek Mooney he has to be the master of inane radio chatter
I couldn't agree more. I normally switch the radio off when he comes on but I heard he was doing a LoI feature earlier today

He's just featured a piece about Leprechauns !

Onefootednopace
02/03/2010, 3:01 PM
I couldn't agree more. I normally switch the radio off when he comes on but I heard he was doing a LoI feature earlier today

He's just featured a piece about Leprechauns !

The man wrecks my head but if it's a piece portraying the L.O.I ./ Shamrock Rovers in a good way then what harm.

Soccer Mom
02/03/2010, 3:21 PM
It's on RTE Radio 1 now. Not giving it much time :(

Soccer Mom
03/03/2010, 10:37 AM
The guy that Derek Mooney interviewed yesterday is an accountant-type that has worked with League of Ireland clubs in the past. The main thrust of the piece was that the LoI is getting it's act together and that people should get out their and support their local clubs.

During the interview he mentioned that at one stage some LoI players were earning €250k per annum. Could that possibly be correct?

Acornvilla
03/03/2010, 10:40 AM
The guy that Derek Mooney interviewed yesterday is an accountant-type that has worked with League of Ireland clubs in the past. The main thrust of the piece was that the LoI is getting it's act together and that people should get out their and support their local clubs.

During the interview he mentioned that at one stage some LoI players were earning €250k per annum. Could that possibly be correct?

well im sure the likes of ndo and j byrne were getting over 2k at one stage and was colin healy on 4k per week at cork?

De Town
03/03/2010, 12:34 PM
Was Dave Mooney not on 4k a week at Cork and then 1K goal bonus every time he scored? Which was pretty much every week!

Longfordian
03/03/2010, 5:25 PM
Think it was more like 2k plus bonuses. Still a lot though. Healy and Farrelly were the highest earners down there at the time, and Gamble wasn't far behind when it all fell apart from recollection.

galwayjames
03/03/2010, 5:41 PM
shels players pre-dec 2006 surely would've been on even more than 2k plus bonuses too i'd say.

Mayo Red
03/03/2010, 6:02 PM
Think it was more like 2k plus bonuses. Still a lot though. Healy and Farrelly were the highest earners down there at the time, and Gamble wasn't far behind when it all fell apart from recollection.

Mostly rumour of course but weren't Pats supposed to have offered Gamble approx. €4,000 a week a couple of years ago to move to them but he stayed with the "Artists formerly known as Cork City" for similar money. At the time Michael Keane was sacked from Pats though for being overweight the Indo reported that he was on more than €3,000 a week!!

Munster Saint
03/03/2010, 6:13 PM
Mostly rumour of course but weren't Pats supposed to have offered Gamble approx. €4,000 a week a couple of years ago to move to them but he stayed with the "Artists formerly known as Cork City" for similar money. At the time Michael Keane was sacked from Pats though for being overweight the Indo reported that he was on more than €3,000 a week!!

If memory serves, it was being reported that Pats offered Gamble €4000 but he turned us down and took €3500 at Cork (and subsequently much less due to pay cuts...)

fionnsci
03/03/2010, 7:48 PM
Sickening to see those figures. Prize money for 1st place would barely cover that Gamble offer.

Mayo Red
03/03/2010, 8:11 PM
Sickening to see those figures. Prize money for 1st place would barely cover that Gamble offer.

Absolutely, and largely why the league as a whole ended up in such a mess.

oriel
05/03/2010, 9:54 PM
I wish RTE radio 1 would re-instate that Friday night LOI programme form 2 yrs back, that was a great production, Con M, Eoin H and other guest contributors, reg updates from around the grounds, for older members a reminder of the classic sunday sport programme from the 80's (and before no doubt)

Magicme
05/03/2010, 10:26 PM
Had come home for a late lunch between meetings today and happened to flick through channels and spotted Con Murphy and Noel Mooney on the Afternoon Show! They did a good job and Noel even mentioned the First Division.

Martinho II
06/03/2010, 5:03 PM
Had come home for a late lunch between meetings today and happened to flick through channels and spotted Con Murphy and Noel Mooney on the Afternoon Show! They did a good job and Noel even mentioned the First Division.

must be a change of direction so.. no more fan forums to go to any more.:(