PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Brazil - Tuesday, 2nd March 2010 - Friendly - Emirates Stadium

Pages : [1] 2

Duggie
01/03/2010, 8:57 AM
Given
Kelly
Wilson
Dunne
Kilbane
McGeady
McCarthy
Whelan
Duff
Stokes
Doyle

this is the team i would start if possible. id like to see mccarthy start and stokes. bed in wilson with dunne and give him a taste of it. prob wont happen but id like to see this. problem area left back but for now kilbane will prob stay there. give kelly a run at right back. of course this is provided mccarthy is fit.

jbyrne
01/03/2010, 11:56 AM
heard its....

given
kelly
mcshane
st ledger
kilbane
duff
lawrence
andrews
whelan
doyle
best

shakermaker1982
01/03/2010, 12:14 PM
God help that defence if true.

Jicked
01/03/2010, 12:17 PM
Team confirmed by Trap. It's been a long time since Given has kept us from a hammering with a string of saves, he's going to need to do so tomorrow looking at that back 4.

Duggie
01/03/2010, 12:43 PM
stokes deserves a chance. hope he gets some game time.

TrapAPony
01/03/2010, 1:04 PM
That defence is going to take some battering.

ifk101
01/03/2010, 1:25 PM
McShane is the obvious weak link in the team. It's going to be a big ask for Andrews and Whelan to cover up McShane's frailties without Dunne there to help.

greendeiseboy
01/03/2010, 1:28 PM
Shane Duffy and his family are invited to the game...........surely he could've brought his boots!!

Scooby Doo
01/03/2010, 2:05 PM
I'm not one to question Trap's judgement but I'd nearly be inclined to give the totally unknown quantity of Greg Cunningham a run out before putting Calamity McShane in there against Brazil. How McShane is there ahead of O'Dea is beyond me. Its gonna be a long 90 mins!

Paddy Garcia
01/03/2010, 2:15 PM
Or indeed Wilson

I'm not sure I can watch Ireland anymore when McShane is playing. I constantly waiting for the next mistake & frankly its all too nerve racking.
Then its never over, even after the first mistake, I'm then waiting for the next & so on.

Scooby Doo
01/03/2010, 2:19 PM
Or indeed Wilson

I'm not sure I can watch Ireland anymore when McShane is playing. I constantly waiting for the next mistake & frankly its all too nerve racking.
Then its never over, even after the first mistake, I'm then waiting for the next & so on.
Agreed. I forgot Wilson. McShane is poison.

SkStu
01/03/2010, 2:46 PM
its time for Given to quit monopolising the GK position for friendlies. We need to give Westwood and Murphy some time without him whinging.

Supreme feet
01/03/2010, 2:52 PM
With O'Shea already out, the loss of Dunne was the worst news possible. Our back four now looks makeshift, and with St. Ledger's form dipping (Preston shipping a lot of goals in recent weeks), added to the fact that Kilbane has barely started for Hull in the last few months, we are particularly vulnerable. Kelly has been solid for Fulham, but his distribution remains a big question mark.

As for McShane... well, the last two times he started at centre-back for Ireland (v Colombia and South Africa), we kept clean sheets!!! Hope springs eternal.:rolleyes: I once hoped that McShane could mature, cut out the mistakes, and grow into a decent centre-back a la Dunne or Cunningham (who weren't really up to much until their mid-to-late 20s), but these hopes are looking more forlorn as each season passes.

Given the absence of our two most experienced defenders, I would have been happy to see Trap go to a 4-5-1, just to protect the defence - perhaps with Gibson pushing forward to support Doyle. But with Best, we're playing with two out-and-out strikers, which leaves us very flat and open. I was confident that we could stifle Brazil, and perhaps come out with one of our 'famous' friendly results (i.e. Holland 2004, Portugal 2005); but a morale-sapping defeat by three or more now looks likely. It shows just how reliant we are on O'Shea and Dunne. :(

Razors left peg
01/03/2010, 4:09 PM
I would have gone for a 5 man midfield with McCarthy playing off Doyle as the lone striker

jbyrne
01/03/2010, 4:28 PM
Agreed. I forgot Wilson. McShane is poison.

wilson has been very error prone when i've seen him play

its time for Given to quit monopolising the GK position for friendlies. We need to give Westwood and Murphy some time without him whinging.

given is hardly going to offer to step aside and why should he. if he was left out to allow the others have a run i doubt he'd whinge about it though

SkStu
01/03/2010, 4:37 PM
given is hardly going to offer to step aside and why should he. if he was left out to allow the others have a run i doubt he'd whinge about it though

why do you think Kiely walked out on us last year? Cos Given threw a strop when Kiely was going to get a half against Nigeria. Trappatoni relented and gave Given the 1st half and Westwood the 2nd leaving Kiely out in the cold and he subsequently walked out on the squad.

As for "why should he?" - we all know what he can do, he is our #1 for the foreseeable future. Westwood and Murphy need gametime to get experience and show us what they can do in an international setting. It seems to me that Given has his mind firmly set on reaching the caps record and is relentlessly pursuing this to the detriment of our back-up keepers.

I love Given but he should take a step back and just let it go a little bit. Thats all.

stiffler
01/03/2010, 5:00 PM
I don't know why people are surprised with that team, we all should be aware of Trapp's methods thus far.

He likes to ease new players into his squad. I hope to see Wilson & Cunningham get some game time in the 2nd half (and McCarthy if fit).

greendeiseboy
01/03/2010, 8:49 PM
What do ye make of this?

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/221-01.html

carloz
01/03/2010, 9:23 PM
I am no fan of McShane, but replacing him with O'Dea is barely a step up

EastTerracer
01/03/2010, 9:27 PM

I really think this has really got to be Trapattoni's decision to make, not Given's. I really don't believe that Trapp changed the team because Shay threw a strop last year - I think Trapp has already shown that he's not too enamoured with players who don't play by his rules.

geysir
01/03/2010, 9:27 PM
What do ye make of this?

A very good sign.
The captain setting an example with his attitude and commitment to the team.

Razors left peg
01/03/2010, 9:28 PM
What do ye make of this?

great commitment by him

jbyrne
02/03/2010, 7:43 AM
why do you think Kiely walked out on us last year? Cos Given threw a strop when Kiely was going to get a half against Nigeria. Trappatoni relented and gave Given the 1st half and Westwood the 2nd leaving Kiely out in the cold and he subsequently walked out on the squad.

do you know this to be fact? i would doubt both angles on this. first, i doubt trap would put up with a "strop" from anyone and i doubt Given would throw one anyway

Duggie
02/03/2010, 8:19 AM
what a class act robbie is. ruled out with an injury but links up with them last night. no one would bat an eyelid if he sat this one out and minded his knee even if it is seemingly ok now. commited totally to his country and I for one salute the man. proper irish legend.

jbyrne
02/03/2010, 8:52 AM
proper irish legend.

or maybe a cap junkie like shay ? :rolleyes:

Colbert Report
02/03/2010, 9:09 AM
I say keep the team we have, the only change needed is a new RB and CB. Let's put Finnan in, he's miles better than anyone else we have. McShane should be banned permanently from being within 300 yards of the squad at all times. Let's partner St. Ledger with Marc Wilson from Portsmouth.

Duggie
02/03/2010, 9:15 AM
or maybe a cap junkie like shay ? :rolleyes:

pathetic.

jbyrne
02/03/2010, 9:20 AM
pathetic.

my point is that others here are slating shay for always turning up and "demanding" to play. i think you missed the sarcasm

Duggie
02/03/2010, 9:32 AM
my point is that others here are slating shay for always turning up and "demanding" to play. i think you missed the sarcasm

i dont care if shay wants to play all the time, so would I and most on here if they got the chance. its up to trap to pick the team. was robbie a cap junkie when he scored in paris or bari or all the other times hes saved our bacon, or all the time shay has saved us time and again. they deserve all the praise they get IMO.

jbyrne
02/03/2010, 9:38 AM
i dont care if shay wants to play all the time, so would I and most on here if they got the chance. its up to trap to pick the team. was robbie a cap junkie when he scored in paris or bari or all the other times hes saved our bacon, or all the time shay has saved us time and again. they deserve all the praise they get IMO.

again, i 100% agree. read my earlier posts. it was a sarcastic pop at those slating given for hoarding the gk shirt (hence the rolling eyes!)

elroy
02/03/2010, 9:38 AM
To call Shay or Robbie a cap junkie is a joke in fairness. To me it shows how much playing for Ireland means to them and for me that is great to see. The night in paris really showed the reinvigoration of a bond between players and fans that was sadly missing in recent years, actions like this by RK are signs of a good camp.

Despite the progress made in the last campaign, the team announced for tonight shows how weak we are for strength in depth particularly at the back. Yes Dunne and JOSH are two top class players but take them out and we look very ordinary at the back. We need to likes of St Ledger and McShane to be really solid tonight. Unfortunately every single one of that back four is very prone to error (with perhaps the exception of SL).

Duggie
02/03/2010, 9:44 AM
again, i 100% agree. read my earlier posts. it was a sarcastic pop at those slating given for hoarding the gk shirt (hence the rolling eyes!)

fair enough

Junior
02/03/2010, 10:18 AM
jbyrne I think yer fighting a losing battle on this one..........woosssshhhhhh

Duggie
02/03/2010, 11:16 AM
eleven a side now saying hes out again..WTF???

donalmcdonagh
02/03/2010, 11:26 AM
I think these are the games we need to get the young players playing, but at the same time it is very important that we have a strong side out, it would be no use putting out a team of young lads and they got thrashed. That is why I beleive Trap plays as many of the full team as possible, its just as important to keep things rolling as it is to get new faces in...its a balance.
The likes of McShane, St Ledger and even McGeady are still finding their international feet, whether we like it or not they need more time, its pointless to drop them for even newer kids and then when they dont perform after 10 caps we drop them for even younger kids....they all need time...a lot of time.....
Im not McShanes biggest fan but give him more time. he is 24.
I just hope tomorrow night we can get the ball and play a little bit,

Jicked
02/03/2010, 11:46 AM
Great to see from Robbie, what a man.

Scooby Doo
02/03/2010, 12:52 PM
eleven a side now saying hes out again..WTF???
Read that aswell but it is being reported nowhere else. What is going on. Fcuk sake if he is out!

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=38182

Duggie
02/03/2010, 1:12 PM
Read that aswell but it is being reported nowhere else. What is going on. Fcuk sake if he is out!

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/news.asp?n=38182

ya cant find it anywhere else either, it might be wrong. they usually have things right though. if he was fit late last night he should be ok today.

geysir
02/03/2010, 3:05 PM
RTE sports news, latest speculation is that Robbie will start.

Robbie, missed the flight from Glasgow, last train was cancelled, got on his bike and started peddling to London.

SkStu
02/03/2010, 4:59 PM
do you know this to be fact? i would doubt both angles on this. first, i doubt trap would put up with a "strop" from anyone and i doubt Given would throw one anyway

no, i dont know it to be a fact, just a strong rumour that is supported by the media articles at the time. As i said, i love Shay and his commitment to Ireland but friendlies might be better served if we try out our less experienced players from time to time (something i presume you are disagreeing with). Thats all. It doesnt have to be made into a big deal. Thanks for not addressing the rest of my post where i went on to explain where i was coming from.

And LOL at your conversation with Duggie... ;) funny stuff, i hate having to explain jokes too... :)

backstothewall
02/03/2010, 5:31 PM
I actually think trap has done well here. Do we really want Wilson's debut to be starting against Brazil, being tortured for an hour, then being taken off? It could destroy the kids confidence before he gets going. Far better that McShane takes that particular bullet, and we can see Wilson get his first start in beside Dunne in May. Perhaps Duffy might even go on for him after an hour or so, and Wilson walks off to a standing ovation :)

Simples

Acornvilla
02/03/2010, 5:46 PM
here ;lads is the game on telly tonight?

De Town
02/03/2010, 5:56 PM
here ;lads is the game on telly tonight?

RTE2 and ITV.

Robman316
02/03/2010, 6:07 PM
Right only new to this site.Right a real close friend of mine really rated McShane (as a centre back).Gearoid this is his night to shine.Hope he does it for you buddy.ps il still slag you over saying that though ha ha.Just a quick one to say thanks to all at foot.ie for everything yous did for Gearoid.Will never be forgoting.Gearoid as you no in this world is eirebhoy.. On that note i would like to say Come On You Boys In Green.. Mcshane play a stormer.

tricky_colour
02/03/2010, 6:56 PM
RTE2 and ITV.

Yes I had been looking for a stream for the UK, then I checked the TV guide on the off chance channel 4 or 5 might be covering it, I was a but surprised (but delighted)
to discover ITV were covering it at primetime, very unusal for them to cover an Ireland match, moreso a friendly, however I expect it has a lot to do with the opposition Brazil so the pundits can discuss England facing them in the World Cup Final!!

tricky_colour
02/03/2010, 6:59 PM
Rep of Ireland:
Given (Manchester City);
Kelly (Fulham),
McShane (Hull City),
St Ledger (Preston North End),
Kilbane (Hull City);
Lawrence (Stoke City),
Whelan (Stoke City),
Andrews (Blackburn Rovers),
Duff (Fulham);
Keane (Celtic, capt),
Doyle (Wolverhampton Wanderers). )

Brazil:
Julio Cesar (Inter Milan);
Maicon (Inter Milan),
Lucio (Inter Milan),
Juan (Roma),
Bastos (Lyon);
Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos),
Felipe Melo (Juventus);
Ramires (Benfica),
Kaka (Real Madrid),
Robinho (Santos);
Adriano (Flamengo).

gilberto_eire
02/03/2010, 7:35 PM
Decent start....

Although what's Robbie doing back in midfield?! :S

Anyone else back us?... 6/1 was just too big IMO

Terrible crowd, its like an under age international

Who's co-commentating with George Hamilton?.... sounds a SMALL bit like Townsend, he made reference to ''us'' as in he was Irish

Colbert Report
02/03/2010, 7:40 PM
We're doing well so far but Kilbane is a big liability at left back, as ever.

Matter of time before they catch us on the break down their right wing.

Irish_Praha
02/03/2010, 7:41 PM
The mexican wave is doing the rounds at the moment.
Watching it on a polish stream in Germany myself.
Great quality, pity about the language :confused::p
All I can understand is that he mentions Delap every time we get a throw-in in their half.

eaststand85
02/03/2010, 7:53 PM
Decent first half performance but Kilbane & McShane look like they could cost us a goal at any stage.