PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football Good or Bad idea ?

liv4ever
25/02/2010, 10:29 AM
I would just like to put it out there to parents & managers alike to see what opinions would be on starting the football season in march playing through the summer & finishing in october . As we already know this season so far has been a complete wash out with the snow & rain causing havoc . from my own personal experience both as a parent of an under 13 footballer & as the manager of senior team , this season so far has been a disaster with both teams having played a only small handful of games due to the ongoing cancellations . I just think it would be more benificial and enjoyable to everyone if we had summer football . It would also give the kids something to occupy them during the holidays when they have the most free time .I have brought it up with some people who are involved at this level & most think it should at least be debated .

Soccer Mom
25/02/2010, 10:56 AM
My son's team has only played two matches since October last year. I know this year is an exception but every year we lose some matches to the weather. Summer football opens up the possibility of evening matches. Possible negatives are that the last three summers have been very wet so we might lose matches then too. Also family holidays and Junior & Leaving Certs may run some interference. I don't know everything about the logistics of organising a league program so there may be issues that I have not considered but, in answer to your question I am all for a serious debate about the prospect. Personally I would favour a trial run for one season.

the 12 th man
25/02/2010, 1:39 PM
There's nothing to lose by trying it for a year,teams would just have to work around holidays and if you think of the kids,they would much prefer to play in the summer if they had the choice.

The matches lost to weather would be dramatically reduced and training would be more enjoyable (especially for the real small kids) in the bright evenings.

liv4ever
26/02/2010, 1:46 PM
Here we are again in the last weekend of febuary and yet again the games are off . 90% pitches have been called off this weekend with the balance only on subject to inspection which is worst because it means getting out of bed early sat/sun morning & still not knowing if you'll be involved . The sooner its brought up at a one of the schoolboy association's meetings the better ...

Soccer Mom
27/02/2010, 1:42 PM
Our match is going ahead this weekend (it's an away match so no nets for me :) ) but it is one on the few exceptions.

So here's what I'm going to do in an attempt to a least get some debate going on the issue:

1) Email all of the officers in my son's club
2) Raise it at our monthly manager's meeting (which for some reason I am allowed attend even though I'm not a manager?)
3) Email all of the schoolboy leagues in the country - I think Meath & District have begun debating the issue.
4) Ask Soccer-Ireland.com to post something about it on the home page (or the Pitch Check page which might be more appropriate)
5) Ask anyone I know that is involved in schoolboys / girls football to email their clubs and their leagues

If anyone else has any ideas I'll gladly row in with them too.

5th metatarsal
27/02/2010, 7:20 PM
I for one don't think it's worth it - soccer would be going head to head with the GAA season and youngsters would be put in a position where they have to give one or more sports to play another. It would be less of an issue in bigger urban centres where there are enough numbers to represent different sports but it would kill small rural/village soccer clubs where they rely on the same kids to fill various teams.

liv4ever
01/03/2010, 9:09 AM
Our match is going ahead this weekend (it's an away match so no nets for me :) ) but it is one on the few exceptions.

So here's what I'm going to do in an attempt to a least get some debate going on the issue:

1) Email all of the officers in my son's club
2) Raise it at our monthly manager's meeting (which for some reason I am allowed attend even though I'm not a manager?)
3) Email all of the schoolboy leagues in the country - I think Meath & District have begun debating the issue.
4) Ask Soccer-Ireland.com to post something about it on the home page (or the Pitch Check page which might be more appropriate)
5) Ask anyone I know that is involved in schoolboys / girls football to email their clubs and their leagues

If anyone else has any ideas I'll gladly row in with them too.

I have asked my sons manager to raise it on their web page & after reading it this morning there seems to be a lot of interest , most reckon you need to approch your club's committee first for their backing & then try get the other local clubs involved . only then can you bring it to the attention of one of the associations to request a debate on the issue .
Is it possible to show this thread to the wider population in the forum without starting again ???

the 12 th man
01/03/2010, 11:43 AM
Is it possible to show this thread to the wider population in the forum without starting again ???

If people keep posting in the thread it'll stay on the first page of the forum and anybody with any interest in kids football will see it,it's the biggest problem in kids football (along with overage players).

drummerboy
01/03/2010, 11:57 AM
One reason which would go against summer football is the amount of injuries which would be incurred when the ground is rock hard. Its ok if private clubs can water their pitches on a regular basis but there is no way public parks are going to receive the proper treatment.

liv4ever
01/03/2010, 2:42 PM
One reason which would go against summer football is the amount of injuries which would be incurred when the ground is rock hard. Its ok if private clubs can water their pitches on a regular basis but there is no way public parks are going to receive the proper treatment.

I think the correct footware would go a long way to reducing such injuries , your right though it's another obstacle, although a lot teams that train on these new all weather pitches will face some of these problems during the winter i know a lot of my lads complain with sore ankles because they are so hard underneath.

the 12 th man
01/03/2010, 5:16 PM

Don't see that as being much of an issue up to under 14's,as the younger kids spend a lot of their time in parks etc playing football with and messing around with their mates on it anyway.

Soccer Mom
02/03/2010, 9:59 AM

That wouldn't have been a problem in the last three seasons with all of the rain we had. Even though we got a match in last week the lads played in a bit of a mud bath. The more I think about it it is definitely worth a go for a one season trial.

liv4ever
02/03/2010, 10:55 AM
That wouldn't have been a problem in the last three seasons with all of the rain we had. Even though we got a match in last week the lads played in a bit of a mud bath. The more I think about it it is definitely worth a go for a one season trial.

I have been talkin to a few of the lads i know that are involved in the local clubs and every one of them would be interested in a trial for one season . they are going to arrange a meet with the rest of the managers at thier club to discuss it properly in the next week or so . There seems to be a theory amongst them though that the local councils have a big say in things & think they would appose it as it would mean more maintenance on parks during the course of the summer & more money spent that they have nt got , but that aside im going to keep contacting clubs to see if they are interested & the more clubs i can get on board then the more likely it is to be discussed .

Soccer Mom
02/03/2010, 11:12 AM
There seems to be a theory amongst them though that the local councils have a big say in things & think they would appose it as it would mean more maintenance on parks during the course of the summer & more money spent that they have nt got.

I have some contacts in a couple of the Dublin councils. I'll see if I can get a read on this.

GUFCghost
02/03/2010, 9:06 PM
I for one don't think it's worth it - soccer would be going head to head with the GAA season and youngsters would be put in a position where they have to give one or more sports to play another. It would be less of an issue in bigger urban centres where there are enough numbers to represent different sports but it would kill small rural/village soccer clubs where they rely on the same kids to fill various teams.
I am a "youngster", and I have no problem playing two sports.

5th metatarsal
04/03/2010, 10:05 PM
I am a "youngster", and I have no problem playing two sports.

The point I am making is that you may have a problem playing two or more sports at the same time.. which is exactly the position schoolboys and schoolgirls would be in if the GAA and Soccer seasons are running at the same time of the year.

drummerboy
05/03/2010, 8:46 AM
The point I am making is that you may have a problem playing two or more sports at the same time.. which is exactly the position schoolboys and schoolgirls would be in if the GAA and Soccer seasons are running at the same time of the year.

Not sure about the rest of the country but here in Dublin the season's overlap but with football in the morning and GAA in the afternoon. It becomes more problematic when you get to U15 though, both usually play Sunday mornings.

5th metatarsal
05/03/2010, 10:58 AM
Not sure about the rest of the country but here in Dublin the season's overlap but with football in the morning and GAA in the afternoon. It becomes more problematic when you get to U15 though, both usually play Sunday mornings.

There's overlap alright but realistically there's not a lot of underage gaelic football or hurling matches played from mid/late september until the end of March at the earliest.
By moving soccer to a summer sport it's inevitible that there will be clashes with training and with matches.

liv4ever
05/03/2010, 12:24 PM

I would of thought that by the age of 15 a choice would have to be made either way wether it's soccer or GAA . The training would obviously be getting a lot more physical for both sports its the same for kids who box or are into athletics or whatever , sooner or later they all end up choosing the sport the love most .

5th metatarsal
05/03/2010, 8:05 PM
I would of thought that by the age of 15 a choice would have to be made either way wether it's soccer or GAA . The training would obviously be getting a lot more physical for both sports its the same for kids who box or are into athletics or whatever , sooner or later they all end up choosing the sport the love most .

Maybe that would be the case for kids that are good enough for the Emerging Talent Programme or alternatively County Football/Hurling but for the vast majority of players they will continue to play both for another couple of years.. at least
If Soccer was to move to a summer sport you'd have droves of children (or their parents) that would be making a choice about what sport they want to play as young as 8 or 9 years of age. Soccer would lose out a lot, especially outside of the cities and bigger towns as a result of this and that can't be good for Soccer or our kids.

CCFC1924
09/03/2010, 2:33 AM
Summer football is the way to go, best thing that the Mayo League have every done. The amount of SFAI, Connacht and Mayo Cup games that have been postponed since October has been unbelievable.

the 12 th man
09/03/2010, 1:20 PM
Summer football is the way to go, best thing that the Mayo League have every done. The amount of SFAI, Connacht and Mayo Cup games that have been postponed since October has been unbelievable.

Agreed,I'd prefer to put up with the clash with GAA & holidays any day as opposed to going 5 or 6 weeks without a game and the kids training in the freezing cold.

liv4ever
09/03/2010, 3:54 PM

So are you saying the mayo league have already implemented this ? if so how long ago ?

liv4ever
09/03/2010, 3:56 PM
I have some contacts in a couple of the Dublin councils. I'll see if I can get a read on this.

Any luck ???

liv4ever
01/12/2010, 10:54 AM
This thread kind of died a death last year but just thought i'd try re-ignite it with the current snow fall covering most of the country . It's going to be another 2 months at least before any one kicks a competitive football again so just to break it down . We miss almost 3 months in the summer june july & august with the school boy & junior leagues electing to take this time out for their off season break , we play for 3ish months sept oct & nov & then the weather kicks in & we suffer another break for at least 2 more months dec & jan possibly longer . Surley it would make more sense to be finishing up the season before the winter weather kicks in .

Thunderblaster
17/02/2011, 10:28 PM
Summer football has been in Mayo since 1994 and it has been a great success for the underage game. Games get played during the summer months and it is more practical given that the climate in Mayo would be one of the most dismal in the country. During the winter, the county gets a direct hit from Atlantic weather systems and gales (cannot say that there were that many storms this winter), and there were a very high number of postponements, which led to the doubling up of games in April and May to conclude the season.

OneForTheFuture
17/02/2011, 11:23 PM
3 games since Oct for my sons DDSL team.....Summer Football please!

liv4ever
18/02/2011, 4:02 PM
soccer ireland are holding a poll so at least people are talking about it now check it out below
http://www.soccer-ireland.com/advertisements/football-polls.htm