PDA

View Full Version : What an off season - now the actual season

Pages : [1] 2

SeanDrog
25/02/2010, 7:47 AM
With the off season seeming to die down (fingers crosssed TNB has gone away) we can actually look forward to the season in a few weeks time. When I look at the teams invovled it looks like this might actually be a very competitive season.

I would have to have (Group 1) Bohs and Rovers as the two punching it out. Assuming Bohs stay ok finance wise)

On the top of the the "rest" scale I would have (Group 2) Dundalk, S.Fingal and Pats, maybe Sligo (for me SLigo are borderline group2 group 3), then you have (Group 3) UCD, Drogs, Bray, Galway (no particular order).

Now in saying this I would expect 1 or 2 teams from the thrid group to out perform and one or two teams from group 2 to under perform, so groups 2 and 3 will be very tight imo.
In terms of relegation, I thinks its very wide open this year and will be very competitive. For me signs that the FAIs tougher stance is starting to pay off with a more level playing field beginning to materialise, we may not be there but we are heading I the right direction.

I reckon this is going to be a great season.

SeanDrog
25/02/2010, 7:55 AM
Admin if you could correct spelling error in title it would be great - thanks

what an off season - now the actual season

Cheers

marinobohs
25/02/2010, 8:49 AM
With the off season seeming to die down (fingers crosssed TNB has gone away) we can actually look forward to the season in a few weeks time. When I look at the teams invovled it looks like this might actually be a very competitive season.

I would have to have (Group 1) Bohs and Rovers as the two punching it out. Assuming Bohs stay ok finance wise)

On the top of the the "rest" scale I would have (Group 2) Dundalk, S.Fingal and Pats, maybe Sligo (for me SLigo are borderline group2 group 3), then you have (Group 3) UCD, Drogs, Bray, Galway (no particular order).

Now in saying this I would expect 1 or 2 teams from the thrid group to out perform and one or two teams from group 2 to under perform, so groups 2 and 3 will be very tight imo.
In terms of relegation, I thinks its very wide open this year and will be very competitive. For me signs that the FAIs tougher stance is starting to pay off with a more level playing field beginning to materialise, we may not be there but we are heading I the right direction.

I reckon this is going to be a great season.

Think you are underestimating Sligo (hope i dont put the kiss of death on them !) as I could see them challenging Bohs and Rovers. Bohs squad is deeper than last year and the Cork lads will strenghten Rovers (although they could still looking for goals if Twigg does not have as good a season) a good sprinkling of signings around the league and of course the return of Seanie at Galway. Looking at the League there will be few easy games and even the so called lesser lights will be difficult to beat.
A lot will depend on injuries, new players blending in and the myriad of other factors that makes it the beautiful game.
Bring it on !!!!!!

SeanDrog
25/02/2010, 10:17 AM
Hear what your saying re. sligo but on paper the usually have a decent side but they IMO fail to deliver. Thats one thing I love about the league, on paper sides can look great but its usually the "off paper" issues which decide the league, like Nutsys ability to bottle it at some stage of the season (which he sometims recovers and other times doesnt), Pats ability to throw the crucial game after doing all the hard work in other games, Sligo glass ceiling regardless of the squad, Doolins safe tactics resulting in draws instead of wins, Brays crazzy run of good results upsetting the applecart but not enough to usual save them, UCDs strong performances but inability to keep it up for the entire season (perventing a challange but usually enough to stay off relegation) - etc etc

peadar1987
25/02/2010, 10:24 AM
I'm predicting Bray will unearth a hidden gem from Fassaroe, who will score 28 goals, finishing as the division's top scorer, even though we're mathematically relegated by February.

pineapple stu
25/02/2010, 10:25 AM
By February of what year?

peadar1987
25/02/2010, 10:44 AM
By February of what year?

This year ;)

Dodge
25/02/2010, 10:50 AM
I think its Bohs to lose. Even though Switching Murphys from Brian to barry is a major drop off they still have too stronga squad for most.

After that I'd have Rovers and Fingal. I thought Rovers would do more to improve their squad but some think Dan murray is good (I don't). Fingal are strange. Stong in some departments but somewhat lacking in midfield I feel. They certainly have the experience

After that it'd be Sligo, Dundalk and ourselves. In November I definitely wouldn't have had us this high but I've been hugely impressed with how Mahon and Gill have assembled their squad. Goals might be a problem but hopefully Alex Williams can score 15 or so. Sligo are pretty similar to last years squad (not many can say that). Dundalk were looking dodgy for a while but I think Melligan could be the steal of the close season. In daying that they're projecting Alan Cawley to start so they won't scare any team

UCD will be UCD. Well organised and playing decent football. No idea about any of their players. Galway could struggle again but for all his faults Faz should get them enough goals to get some decent results. If Drogheda have secured the likes of Jamie Harris they should be OK. I think bray will struggle. Not really fair to be planning for first division and thrust into premier. Hopefully Eddia can get enough experience in to, at least, make a fist of it.

OPtimistic prediction;

1 Bohs
2 Rovers
3 Finglas
4 Pats
5 Sligo
6 Dundalk
7 Drogheda
8 UCD
9 Galway
10 bray

DRDoc
25/02/2010, 11:14 AM
Galway could struggle again but for all his faults Faz should get them enough goals to get some decent results.

If Faz signs for them

blackholesun
25/02/2010, 12:10 PM
the Cork lads will strenghten Rovers (although they could still looking for goals if Twigg does not have as good a season)

Chambers, Dennehy, Turner and Murray scored around 30 goals last season between them.

bhs

oriel
25/02/2010, 12:41 PM
OPtimistic prediction;

1 Bohs
2 Rovers
3 Finglas
4 Pats
5 Sligo
6 Dundalk
7 Drogheda
8 UCD
9 Galway
10 bray

Dodge there is no way we will drop a place from last season, the squad this season is a lot better balanced, the m/f for eg is strong in all areas, you mentioned Melligan, I also agree re Cawley, but will give him a chance. Ross Gaynor could also have a big season. No passengers like george o'c or harpal singh this year, or players who dont want to play (fabio), overall I`m impressed with the age profile, and experience foster has got in. Our defence is defintely better than last year with Cherrie now in from the start, a clearly better keeper than Bennion, also Breen will be a huge improvement in partnering Burns in the centre than Heary was last year (not hard), shaun kelly was another good performer from last year who re-signed. We`re meant to be signing our last striker today, Malsom, he should partner Fenn up front. And the young local hope 20 y.o striker, Mulvenna to come in also, currently out injured.

I`d do with

1. Bohs
2. Rovers (- 3 pts)

4. Dundalk

Hard to call the rest, def agree with Sligo/Pats all same standard as us, I just have a feeling Fingal will not deliver.

At the bottom Bray & Drogs might just surprise a few people, and we dont know what UCD will be like, hard to beat, but can they win enough games to rise into mid table ? Galway too could go either way, I`d say they will be safe but low down the table.

Kildare Lad
25/02/2010, 2:18 PM
Id generally agree with SeanDrog about the groups he has divided the teams into, except for me Sligo will be one of the stronger teams in "group 2". Can't see anyone challenging Rovers or Bohs for the league, but the race for the remaining european spot could be interesting. I expect Fingal to do well this season, but having said that I expected Dundalk to do well last season and while they may not have done too bad they didn't set the league alight, maybe bad judgment on my part though. Sligo and Pats have seemed to assemble decent squads and either could finish 3rd given a bit of luck IMO, then down in "group 3" it could be a struggle, can't see any of them 4 doing great this year but at least it may provide entertainment down the bottom.

Prediction:
1. Rovers
2. Bohs
3. Sligo
4. Pats
5. Fingal
6. Dundalk
7. Galway
8. Drogheda
9. UCD
10. Bray

LFC-Zulu
25/02/2010, 2:50 PM
Premier Division.. Pfft.

1. Waterford
2. Derry
3. Limerick
4. Shelbourne
5. Monaghan
6. Cork City Foras Co-Op Football Club
7. Longford
8. Finn Harps
9. Athlone
10. Wexford
11. Mervue
12. Salthill

I expect 3rd to 6th place to be ridiculously close though.

El-Pietro
25/02/2010, 3:28 PM
Don't know much about the first division.
I'd say the top 3 will look like this though.

Derry
Waterford
Sheliban
After that.... who knows. Don't expect us to be competing near the top this season at least. Just try and be competitive in games and build our club from the bottom up.

Steve Bruce
25/02/2010, 3:49 PM
I predict more financial turmoil.

Rovers to win the league

Schumi
25/02/2010, 3:57 PM
1. Bohs
2. Rovers
3. Sligo
4. Dundalk
5. Fingal
6. Pats
7. Drogheda
8. UCD
9. Galway
10. Bray

John83
25/02/2010, 4:23 PM
Bohs will surge into the lead before realising that a football club can't be build on dreams alone when it turns out that they've already sold their midfield to four different clubs and a property developer who wants to build a shopping centre on Anto Murphy. Shams will chase them all the way like a needy ex-girlfriend who doesn't believe it's over, crying bitter little tears when no one notices or appreciates all the effort that went into their new stadium. UCD B, by which I mean Fingal, will win the league after a tactical nuclear strike during a Bohs-Rovers game results in 16 points deductions for both clubs, Ronan Finn and Conan Byrne combining to make football of such pure beauty that it makes Paul Doolin weep as he realises that he's wasted his life building teams which kick teams until they're too bruised to chase the long balls to his lone striker any more. Dundalk will settle for finishing ahead of Drogheda, who will finish the season playing their home games in a debtor's prison. Pats will miss out on Europe in spite of a three point and 30 goal lead going into the last day when their opponents realise that the way to beat Conor Kenna is to play the ball on the ground in spite of him being three foot two. They'll bitterly ruing the fact that Paul Byrne wasn't able to add to the ninteen goals he scored in the cumulative total of sixteen minutes and twenty two seconds he was fit over the season. Galway will finish last, but win an MTV award for the music video of their season set to Rogue Trader's The Price We Pay. Bray will get relegated after losing their playoff to a resurgent Monaghan, but are saved when Sligo go to the wall after it turns out they haven't paid any tax since the foundation of the state. Finally, the SCP will be evaluated, and the Premier title awarded to Athlone.

total hoofball
25/02/2010, 10:37 PM
1. Bohemians *
2. Shamrock Rovers
Sporting Fingal *
Galway United
St. Patrick's Athletic
Dundalk

* providing they last until the end of the season

Bohs and Shamrock should dominate the rest, Bray to get destroyed. I don't think there is alot between the other 7, none of them great shakes and I can see all of them taking alot of points off each other, expect alot of draws. I expect Drogheda will have more money troubles by mid-season and Sporting Fingal are living on the borrowed cash of a stone broke property developer, if the cash tap is turned off at Anglo Irish Bank or NAMA collapses they will be gone.

Overall bar the top 2 it looks be the weakest Premier Division in many a year. The only thing you can guarantee is more scandal, more players not being paid and more serving up of Abbostown's finest fudge.

Dillonman
25/02/2010, 11:04 PM
1 Bohs
2 Rovers
3 Fingal
4 Dundalk
5 Pats
6 Sligo
7 Drogheda
8 Galway
9 UCD
10 Bray

Im not touching that first division with a barge pole but the top 2 shoudl be Derry and Waterford.

Acornvilla
25/02/2010, 11:10 PM
but atleast theres the possibility of some very strong assuult on europe from bohs and shams have no idea how fingal will fare and dundalk(sligo) the same..

that is if the world doesn't end and all the other financial shennagians that may develop

Port Saint
26/02/2010, 7:40 AM
I agree with the first post it'll be tight league with the exception IMO of top spot and bottom spot.
1. Bohes
10. Bray
2 - 9 The rest

Don't really think SF will have a hugh impact and It'll be interesting to see if Shamrock Rovers (Twigg) can reproduce last seasons form (although if I was to bet on second place it would be them). I Think Sligo will be the most improved position wise.
One thing though after all the bull of the off season thank god competitive football is back tonight (for us anyway).

SeanDrog
26/02/2010, 7:55 AM
Bohs will surge into the lead before realising that a football club can't be build on dreams alone when it turns out that they've already sold their midfield to four different clubs and a property developer who wants to build a shopping centre on Anto Murphy. Shams will chase them all the way like a needy ex-girlfriend who doesn't believe it's over, crying bitter little tears when no one notices or appreciates all the effort that went into their new stadium. UCD B, by which I mean Fingal, will win the league after a tactical nuclear strike during a Bohs-Rovers game results in 16 points deductions for both clubs, Ronan Finn and Conan Byrne combining to make football of such pure beauty that it makes Paul Doolin weep as he realises that he's wasted his life building teams which kick teams until they're too bruised to chase the long balls to his lone striker any more. Dundalk will settle for finishing ahead of Drogheda, who will finish the season playing their home games in a debtor's prison. Pats will miss out on Europe in spite of a three point and 30 goal lead going into the last day when their opponents realise that the way to beat Conor Kenna is to play the ball on the ground in spite of him being three foot two. They'll bitterly ruing the fact that Paul Byrne wasn't able to add to the ninteen goals he scored in the cumulative total of sixteen minutes and twenty two seconds he was fit over the season. Galway will finish last, but win an MTV award for the music video of their season set to Rogue Trader's The Price We Pay. Bray will get relegated after losing their playoff to a resurgent Monaghan, but are saved when Sligo go to the wall after it turns out they haven't paid any tax since the foundation of the state. Finally, the SCP will be evaluated, and the Premier title awarded to Athlone.

lov it :)

marinobohs
26/02/2010, 11:42 AM
Chambers, Dennehy, Turner and Murray scored around 30 goals last season between them.

bhs

Turner is not a shams player (yet anyway) although is prolific from midfield. Chambers good on set pieces to be fair but I still think they are very (overly ?) dependent on twigg for goals. A case of second season syndrome for him could hit any possible challenge. Cant see them go 22 games unbeaten either, although that is not required to win the League.

Anybody see (in reality not wishfull thinking) a winner outside Bohs/shams ?

Schumi
26/02/2010, 12:09 PM
Anybody see (in reality not wishfull thinking) a winner outside Bohs/shams ?

Can't see anyone else making the top two tbh.

Dodge
26/02/2010, 12:13 PM
Finglas might get ahead of Rovers. I can't stress how important Twisgg is to them If he's injured they'll struggle IMO

can't see anyone getting near Bohs.

Hope I'm wrong

pineapple stu
26/02/2010, 12:23 PM
they won't scare any team
I think this can be said about any clubs aside from Bohs and Rovers. Dundalk and Pat's signings, for example, haven't exactly gotten me overly worried about going to Oriel or Richmond. I reckon it'll be a very open league with those two streets ahead. Fingal haven't impressed in pre-season so far (for what that's worth). Still reckon the mercenaries IX (plus Conan and Finn :) ) will start to perform once it really matters and sneak third. Bray could surprise some people (well...they can only surprise people going on this) - their youth structure is very good, and that helped us come from nowhere to win the First last year.

Based on the In and Out thread and pre-season friendlies, I'll go with -

1 Bohs
2 Rovers (agree with Dodge on Twigg, but even without him, they should still be too good for third)
3 Feckall
4 Sligo
5 Dundalk
6 Pat's
7 UCD
8 Drogheda
9 Bray
10 Galway

The First looks really competitive this year actually. Derry and Waterford should be up there, Cork'll start slowly and gain pace, particularly after the transfer window, Monaghan are dark horses, Harps have McHugh and Shels will be up there. Even Athlone and Longford have strengthened, it seems. Let's randomly predict -

1 Derry
2 Waterford
3 Monaghan
4 Shels
5 Harps
6 Longford
7 Cork
8 Athlone
9 Limerick
10 Wexford
11 Salthill
12 Mervue

Maybe a bit harsh on Limerick there, and the two Galway sides are much of a muchness.

All that is pending the obvious implosion and asterisk possibilities, of course.

passinginterest
26/02/2010, 12:23 PM
I'd agree Bohs look very strong again but overall Rovers have made more significant improvements to the squad. Logically that should see Rovers close the gap but I'd tend to agree that Bohs still have an edge. I think Rover's will play 4-5-1/4-3-3 a good bit this season unless they can find another high class forward to play alongside Twigg. If Turner gets signed I could see them lining up with:
Mannus
Sullivan Sives Murray Murphy
Rice
Chambers Turner
Kavanagh Dennehy
Twigg

I can't see anyone getting close to those two, Twigg will probably still get 15 goals this season but won't go close to last season's total. Bohs will concede a few more without Brian Murphy but should still be ahead at the end.

Fingal will be fighting it out for Europe with Dundalk and Sligo, Pat's might challenge this group Drogheda will be just behind fighting it out with Galway and UCD while Bray struggle along at the back of the field.

Sam_Heggy
26/02/2010, 1:49 PM
The First looks really competitive this year actually. Derry and Waterford should be up there, Cork'll start slowly and gain pace, particularly after the transfer window, Monaghan are dark horses, Harps have McHugh and Shels will be up there. Even Athlone and Longford have strengthened, it seems. Let's randomly predict -

1 Derry
2 Waterford
3 Monaghan
4 Shels
5 Harps
6 Longford
7 Cork
8 Athlone
9 Limerick
10 Wexford
11 Salthill
12 Mervue

Maybe a bit harsh on Limerick there, and the two Galway sides are much of a muchness.

All that is pending the obvious implosion and asterisk possibilities, of course.

Can't argue there really.
We are looking really good in pre-season, our first choice side will be as good as anyone in the Division, we are well covered in almost every position except centre half and goalkeeper, there-in is where we will struggle, especially with our keeper on International duty alot.
Packie Mailey is one of the best young centre halves in the league, this is a big season for him after coming in half way through last season.
Johnny Lafferty in centre mid is going to be the find of the season, he was playing inter-county GAA for Tyrone up until now. Cracking on the ball and will link up with our forwards (something we didn't have last season), he was at Aston Villa when younger but told he was too small at the time, he is now 6'2".
McHugh is a big name signing but our main asset up front will be Stephen "Cristiano" McLaughlin.

Can't wait to see how we fair out in competitive games now, it's very hard to get an accurate judgement on a side in pre-season.

Ash
26/02/2010, 1:58 PM
I predict a record amount of * in the league tables

Roo69
26/02/2010, 2:02 PM
From what i have seen in pre season, nobody will get close to Bohs, they were very good against us. Now in saying that it was a tight enough game until the last 20 when we made a load of changes and the game fell apart, but by jebus were the clinical in front of goal. We did manage 3 in reply though and any striker with pace will trouble them.

We have absolutely nothing to lose this year, its a blessing we are in the Premier and the squad Gormley has put together is a squad for the 1st division. I'd say the average age must be 20/21. Now we will bring in a few experienced heads but it wont be too many.

We have one of the best youth set ups in the country and have some excellent players coming through. One in particular has stood head and shoulders above the rest in pre season. Young Shane O'Neill has been flying and scored 4 in 4, defo one to watch.

I don't think it will matter who finishes last because i think the FAI will yet again make changes to the structure of the League next season. I just can't wait for it all to begin again

Candystripe
26/02/2010, 2:39 PM
Premier.

Bohs....but I foresee a * for them.

Shams will be a close 2nd

Dundalk

Sligo

Fingal

Pats

Galway

Ucd

Drogs

Bray.

The first looks really good with three of the top five traditional clubs there.

Derry

Shels

Waterford

Monaghan

Harps

Cork

the rest

The two galway teams at the bottom.

sligoman
26/02/2010, 2:52 PM
Top spot is Bohs. Bottom 4 is between Bray, Galway, Drogs and UCD. Then us, Fingal, Shams, Dundalk and Pat's fight out for the rest, with Dundalk and Pat's looking weakest out of that group imo.

Certainly looks a more competitive Premier division this season with Cork and Derry gone.

ped_ped
26/02/2010, 4:49 PM
I'm really not sure where people are pulling any predictions for Cork City FORAS Co-Op out of (be it a first or last place finish). Not a single player confirmed :S

Anyway I'll go for a fight between Derry and Waterford for the First Division title, hopefully with Limerick SOMEWHERE in the top half :P

GalwayRed
26/02/2010, 6:18 PM
Premier Division
1. Bohs
2. Shams
3. Fingal
4. Sligo
5. Pats
6. Dundalk
7. UCD
8. Galway
9. Drogs
10. Bray
------------------------------------------
Think Bohs should have enough again this year but Rovers will run them close. After that I can see a bit of a gap to Fingal. They have a good team already but its whether the players will look interested. If they have the same attitude to last season then they will be mid-table but I reckon the players will look more interested in the premier. Not really sure about 7-9. I was very impressed with UCD last season. I know they have lost Finn but I reckon they have enough to finish out of the play off places. Poor Bray will be cut adrift I reckon.

First Division
1. Waterford
2. Derry
3. Shels
4. Harps
5. Mons
6. Limerick
7. Longford
8. CCFCFC
9. Athlone
10. Wexford
11. Salthill
12. Mervue
-------------------------------------------
Waterford have assembled a very strong squad and they have a good manager in Henderson. I think this is their year. I think most people expect Derry to win it but the first division is a very tough place to get out of as the likes of ourselves and Dundalk know. I think we can nick a play-off place but thats as far as it will go I reckon. This year will jus be about finding their feet for the latest cork team so I think mid-table based on the fact they have so little time to assemble a squad. Its just a case of which one of the galway teams it is that finishes bottom for me.

sheao
26/02/2010, 10:26 PM
Premier Division
Should be mainly another battle between Bohs and Shamrock Rovers for the title, Sporting Fingal might run them close though .

1.Bohemians
2.Shamrock Rovers
3. Sporting Fingal
4. Dundalk
5. Sligo
6. St Pats
7. Drogheda United
8 . Galway
9. UCD
10.Bray

1st Division
Should be a close race for promotion. 4 or 5 teams here that have a decent chance of promotion.

1.Waterford
2. Derry City
3.Shelbourne
4. Finn Harps
5. Monaghan
6.Cork City FORAS Co-Op
7. Limerick
8. Wexford
9.Athlone
10. Longford
11.Mervue
12.Salthill .

MMVIII
27/02/2010, 12:03 AM
Feels like the longest off season ever. Can't wait for this season to kick off. Have a feeling something special could happen for us, but I've thought this most seasons and have always been wrong so :D

Shams and Bohs will slug it out at the top and I can't see anybody really challengeing them tbh. After that I really dont know. You have ourselves, Fingal, Pats, Dundalk all with similiar squads, strength wise, and these positions could go anyway. Should be fairly tight here, although I have a feeling Fingal might flop a bit. That leaves Galway, UCD, Drogs and Bray. Gonna guess at Galway to finish bottom, followed by Drogs, Bray then UCD. Altough, I really don't know a lot about any of these squads.

1- Bohemians
2- Shamrock Rovers
3- Sligo Rovers
4- St Pats
5- Fingal
6- Dundalk
7- UCD
8- Bray
9- Drogs
10- UCD

On to the First division which will be really exciting next season IMO. I honestly can see Waterford winning it and tbh, I hope they do. Harps and Monaghan could be real dark horses next season and then not forgetting Derry and Shels who will be up there. Don't know a lot about the rest really.

1- Waterford
2- Derry
3- Shels
4- Finn Harps
5- Monaghan
6- Limerick
7- Longford
8- Wexford Youths
9- Athlone
10- Cork City Foras Co-op
11- Mervue
12- Salthill

Cannot ****ing wait for this season.

kid creole
27/02/2010, 12:21 AM
Could people stop predicting us to win , makes me feel uncomfortable.

GUFCghost
27/02/2010, 10:22 AM
We Don't 100% know about fingal,sure they won the cup but the big teams (bohs,Rovers,Derry) where not in there.

sligoman
27/02/2010, 10:27 AM
We Don't 100% know about fingal,sure they won the cup but the big teams (bohs,Rovers,Derry) where not in there.I think you'll find all those teams were in there...they just got knocked out by the finalists along the way.

Schumi
27/02/2010, 12:44 PM
We Don't 100% know about fingal,sure they won the cup but the big teams (bohs,Rovers,Derry) where not in there.

Fingal knocked Rovers out and I think Sligo knocked out the other two so you can't say the cup win was a fluke of the draw.

total hoofball
27/02/2010, 12:59 PM

I think alot of people who are predicting that Fingal will challenge Bohs and Rovers are forgetting that Fingal could only finish 3rd in the First Division with a full-time squad, top players and the largest budget in the history of the FD, the re-introduction of the play-offs for 3rd place teams last season saved Liam Buckley's bacon for what was a very poor league performance considering their resources. From what I saw of them last season they looked a lazy side who couldn't give a ****e and apart from the signing of Ger O'Brien I don't see where they have improved their likely starting XI.

oriel
27/02/2010, 2:21 PM
I agree with you , I`m dont think Fingal will challenge at all this season, mid table at best.

oriel
27/02/2010, 5:14 PM
I dont see the quality players coming in for Sligo to suggest what most of their fans on here are saying (avg of 3rd spot), why do you think you can improve 3 places on last year ? - very confident or cocky. Now I think you`ll be challenging for the top 4, but I seriously think you`re under estimating the other teams quality around you.

galwayjames
27/02/2010, 8:37 PM
1. Bohs
2. Rovers
3. Fingal
4. Pats
5. Sligo
6. Dundalk
7. Galway
8. Drogheda
9. UCD
10. Bray

Bohs and Rovers should do very well in Europe, would be great if they got Northern Irish or Welsh opposition just to show what a gulf in class there is. Fingal should do quite well too and obviously i don't know who the other team will be.

Lamper.sffc
28/02/2010, 12:32 AM
I think alot of people who are predicting that Fingal will challenge Bohs and Rovers are forgetting that Fingal could only finish 3rd in the First Division with a full-time squad, top players and the largest budget in the history of the FD, the re-introduction of the play-offs for 3rd place teams last season saved Liam Buckley's bacon for what was a very poor league performance considering their resources. From what I saw of them last season they looked a lazy side who couldn't give a ****e and apart from the signing of Ger O'Brien I don't see where they have improved their likely starting XI.

I dont think many people are saying we will challenge for the title. They are just predicting we may finish third. Now im not saying we will and my personal prediction is 4th or 5th but I think you are also failing to take into consideration our terrible injury problems last season. This really hindered us.
I do agree with you that at times we did look lazy and where not always up to the task of getting out the league but when it mattered most, we really turned it on, we beat Shamrock rvs, we beat sligo, we beat shels and we beat Bray to have the success we had. I think the players will be a lot more tuned in this year, plus its a more settled side than the previous year, which had a lot of changes to it.

As for our signings I think you can add Finn and Browne to the good signings we have made plus the new lad Quinn looks a good player.

pineapple stu
28/02/2010, 5:04 PM
You're right with that, but I thought they saved their better performances for the bigger games - against us and Shels in the league, and obviously in the Cup. Trips to Mervue were beneath them. I think they'll be more up for the Premier. That said, their pre-season hasn't been impressive at all.

CSFShels
28/02/2010, 9:24 PM
1. Bohs
2. Rovers
3. Shams
4. Pats
5. Dundalk
6. Fungus
7. Drogheda
8. UCD
9. Bray
10. Galway.
I love your optimism, if nothing else.

1st time post
28/02/2010, 9:37 PM
Without been smart with Derry and Cork gone we only have 1 place to climb really!!Granted Fingal should be strong enough for at least mid-table and Pats cant be as bad as last year but think we have added enough to still finish ahead of them and reckon we could be stronger than yous aswell which would give us 3rd but sure look in bout 8 or 9 weeks after the first programme of games we should have a fair idea!!Do you think ye are stronger this year than ye were at this time last year??{serious question.not trying to be smart again!!}

Sam_Heggy
01/03/2010, 7:34 AM
Without been smart with Derry and Cork gone we only have 1 place to climb really!!Granted Fingal should be strong enough for at least mid-table and Pats cant be as bad as last year but think we have added enough to still finish ahead of them and reckon we could be stronger than yous aswell which would give us 3rd but sure look in bout 8 or 9 weeks after the first programme of games we should have a fair idea!!Do you think ye are stronger this year than ye were at this time last year??{serious question.not trying to be smart again!!}

You mean Shels? or UCD?

derm
01/03/2010, 11:39 AM
Could people stop predicting us to win , makes me feel uncomfortable.

1- Cork City Foras Co-op
2- Derry
3- Shels
4- Finn Harps
5- Monaghan
6- Limerick
7- Longford
8- Wexford Youths
9- Athlone
10- Waterford
11- Mervue
12- Salthill