PDA

View Full Version : We hate the Irish (more than england now) -Scottish Fans

Pages : [1] 2

an_ceannaire
24/02/2010, 9:13 AM
http://taboard.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113133

Lenny82
24/02/2010, 9:54 AM
Great discussion on there. Very bitter Scot's!!!

an_ceannaire
24/02/2010, 10:07 AM
Certainly blows the "special relationship" out of the water!!!!!!

elroy
24/02/2010, 10:10 AM
Bitter is right. Im sure the views are of a minority, I would always have wished Wales, Scots and to a slightly lesser extent NI well in their games. Hey lets just give them SI to keep them happy!

Yard of Pace
24/02/2010, 10:21 AM
Anyone have the energy to register over there and set them straight on a few things?
I don't mind the baiting of McCarthy, that's to be expected, but referring to Kevin Kilbane as "English" is a step too far.

Deckydee
24/02/2010, 10:26 AM
Terrible things being said there!

- hope he breaks a leg on his debut.

- He may pretend to be Irish, but he will NEVER be Irish, just like his Soul mate McGeady.
I cant wait for the day Scotland play them and hopefully hump them of the park.
Beating Ireland is now just as big a deal as beating England for me. Make no apologies for wanting them to lose every game they play

- I think I get more pleasure from Rep of Ireland losing than I do England losing! I still smile at the hand of frog!!

EDIT: Oh by the way - What is a wee warmer????????????

Arent we playing them next year?????????????!!!!!!!!

ifk101
24/02/2010, 10:38 AM
One Daniel Fox, there's only one Daniel Fox .... bla, bla, bla.
One Andy Goram, .... oops sorry start again. Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams ... blah, blah, blah

Plenty of Daniel Fox and Andy Goram examples here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scotland_international_footballers_born_ou tside_Scotland

greendeiseboy
24/02/2010, 11:18 AM
Check out some of these comments on a Celtic forum.........not as bad but the bitterness is still there with some of the comments...........

http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8240208/4/

eaststand85
24/02/2010, 11:27 AM
Looks like adding a bit of spice to next year's Four Associations Tournament if nothing else! :)

frog-gufc
24/02/2010, 11:37 AM
bitterness is all that shower are good for, why would they want to play for scotland when they get booed by there own fans for being catholic,irish ancestry etc, also scotland are an awful team iv seen them in the qualifiers and recently agaisnt a very young wales team and they were played off the park lsoing 3-0 i think, fair play to mccarthy for showing some ambition to play with a team thats going places.

Crosby87
24/02/2010, 11:45 AM
Reminds me of that scene in trainspotting when he talks about being colonized by *******...

TrapAPony
24/02/2010, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't even read into this too much. It's more than likely only a minority.

Wolfie
24/02/2010, 12:27 PM
Don't have access to the link but I presume their bitterness on elligibility issues are being used as an excuse for some barely concealed racism.

We'll have Norn Iron and Scotland gunning for us next year. All we have to do is **** off the Welsh and we've the full set.

LFCSixty/Eighty
24/02/2010, 12:43 PM
One of the quite ironic things to come out of this hatred for all things Irish in recents years is the singing of the the song 'The Famine Is Over' http://www.loyalistlyrics.com/lyrics-F/index.html

This song is clearly an 'attack' on the ancestors of Irish immigrants to Scotland. Yet these are the same people that hate Aidan McGeady and James McCarthy for choosing to play for the the country they are telling them to go home to!

On the one hand they think these players are traitors yet they want them to leave 'their' country. Please make up ye're minds!!!!

It says everything about what kind of people we are dealing with and its with this kind of attitude it is not wonder that kids from Scotland and the North are choosing to play for a country that they feel more a part of.

Maroon 7
24/02/2010, 12:49 PM
No more than ourselves the Scots have had many players who were born in England and spoke with English accents but they had Scottish ancestry and I'm sure gave 100% to the Scottish cause. The cases of McGeady and McCarthy are no different to any of those. You can't have it one way and not the other. At the end of the day these lads are not being held hostage and forced to play for Ireland against their will. They were eligible for both countries and they made their own decisions as adults. The only reason Ireland benefit more than most is because there is such a huge Irish diaspora around the globe. But that's another story.

It's certainly possible in years to come that we will have a talented young lad born in Ireland of say Nigerian or Polish descent who may opt to play for one of those countries ahead of Ireland and even though we won't like it we'll probably have to suck it up.

back of the net
24/02/2010, 1:06 PM
http://taboard.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113133

have to laugh at some of the moron's on that site - as another poster on foot said - its only a minority of scottish fans.

This comment on the above link
"I think I get more pleasure from Rep of Ireland losing than I do England losing! I still smile at the hand of frog!! "

makes me think will he be smiling when mcgeady , mccarthy and the rest of the B.I.G are playing in poland and ukraine in 2 years time while scottish football is at home again and their national team continues it rapid rate of decline.

livehead1
24/02/2010, 1:21 PM
Did Kris Commons not recently start playing for them. Also they were trying to get Driver on board. The only difference between them and McCarthy is that McCarthy has the potential to be a very good player.

boovidge
24/02/2010, 1:37 PM
I almost feel sorry for them on there because they are pretty pathetic. They seem to have to define themselves by what theyre not (English) rather than what they are.

dantheman
24/02/2010, 3:01 PM
More than likely the Rangers influence, and as a poster said above, contradicts the message of the Famine Song.

I wouldn't read too much into this

kingdomkerry
24/02/2010, 3:11 PM
Fairly bitter alright. What were the FAI to do? Tell McCarthy and McGeady to **** off? Anyway they are not even an independent country so they should not have an international football team. Never understand why they can and the likes of catalunia can not.

Fitzy
24/02/2010, 3:47 PM
The sad thing is that it isn't just Rangers fans making these comments on the Tartan Army messageboard. The "I still laugh at the hand of Frog" comment was made by a Celtic fan called Faddy & Fletch. The strange thing is I don't think the Scottish fans' views that are on there are the same as most Scotland fans that I have ever met. To say that they hate Ireland more than England now due to 2 players that their fans would like to see go "home" anyway is laughable.

The level of abuse that McCarthy and McGeady have had to endure just so that they can play for their grandfathers country is disgusting, and yet another reason why I never want Scotland to win (unless they are playing England of course). Maybe some people on here should remember what both of these players have had to put up with when they question their commitment to the green jersey.

Gather round
24/02/2010, 3:53 PM
Fairly bitter alright. What were the FAI to do? Tell McCarthy and McGeady to **** off? Anyway they are not even an independent country so they should not have an international football team. Never understand why they can

They can because they always have, and in practice because pretty much everyone else is content for them to continue to have.

and the likes of catalunia can not

Spain (and other large countries with a perceived 'separatist' problem) wouldn't like it. But really it's just an accident of history- just like Ireland having sports teams which don't represent a single independent country.

Razors left peg
24/02/2010, 3:53 PM
Maybe some people on here should remember what both of these players have had to put up with when they question their commitment to the green jersey.

very well said

carloz
24/02/2010, 4:48 PM
Let them be bitter. There is the odd decent well thought out posts there, and i respect that. I don't expect Scottish fans to be happy but at the end of the day McGeady and McCarthy were not forced to do anything. I love the post on the first page of the guy laughing and saying he was in lansdown when Scotland beat us in 2000. Not a mention of our last meeting in 2003 in Glasgow....wonder why. Some of the posts, like wishing McCarthy breaks his leg on his debut are sickeneing. I despise Theirry Henry now, I would however never wish an injury on him. The bitterness on that forum is unreal

tricky_colour
24/02/2010, 6:13 PM
No the Scotts will always hate the English most, note that the shirt here says "Anyone But England", not "Anyone but Ireland" ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8533791.stm

SkStu
24/02/2010, 6:48 PM
it warms my heart to hear this from the Scots. How we ever wanted to be liked by the mars-bar-frying, heart-attack-loving, skirt-wearing, fatty-fatty-bum-boys was always beyond my comprehension.

bholg
24/02/2010, 8:26 PM
That's the spirit.

Scram
24/02/2010, 8:39 PM
More than likely the Rangers influence, and as a poster said above, contradicts the message of the Famine Song.

I wouldn't read too much into this

This one is funny. "och, let heem away the fook, the bastert, shoor he's ****e annyhoo"...and then get the guys signature at the end :-), basically it looks like this clown wants nobody to play for Scotland!!

daviebee

View Member Profile Today, 17:12 Post #65

I suppose it shows what mugs some of us were to think that the NOTW story might be true. It would've been nice to get one over these poaching bastirts though.

I just don't get it - he gets schooled here, nursed back to health here, even allowed to vote here and then wants to feck off and represent some other country? It makes no sense to me that someone could do that and it says more about him than it does about us. GTF, McCarthy and all those who believe they're Irish cos they once chugged over a Corrs picture.

Is he even all that good? Trials with Liverpool, being watched by Barcelona, etc, etc and he signs for... er, Wigan. 1.2 million rising to 3 on appearances for "the outstanding talent of his generation" (quoting Accies' chairman). That kind of money is feck all these days. Wouldn't you invest it in potential rather than maybe having to pay 20 million 5 years down the line when he sets the heather on fire? Didn't Arsenal pay 10 times that amount for Walcott at a far younger age? No loss to Scotland.

--------------------

Not good enough for their own country, not good enough for Scotland.

stojkovic
24/02/2010, 9:19 PM
The Jocko's don't like us, jaysus I won't sleep tonight. Idiot race, always were always will be.

yapster
24/02/2010, 10:13 PM
The Scottish Ranger supporter is a groveller so I wouldn't take him seriously anyway.

I wonder what will happen in the future if a Irish player of foreign extraction will opt to play for the country of his parents or grand-parents origion? I don't think the reaction will be far off from the Scottish supporters.

Razors left peg
24/02/2010, 10:29 PM
The Scottish Ranger supporter is a groveller so I wouldn't take him seriously anyway.

I wonder what will happen in the future if a Irish player of foreign extraction will opt to play for the country of his parents or grand-parents origion? I don't think the reaction will be far off from the Scottish supporters.

as has being mentioned in other threads there was no reaction from Irish fans at all when the likes of Shane Lowry and Tony Kane decided not to play for us after being with us up to under 21 level so I would expect Irish fans not to stoop to abuse if a lad born here decided to play for the country of his parents

Fergie's Son
24/02/2010, 10:39 PM
Who ever wanted to be like Scotland? Nice place to visit but I have zero interest or even sense of connection with most people outside of Glasgow.

Crosby87
24/02/2010, 10:44 PM
People are really going to dissect who says what on anonymous message boards? Good Lord. You realize a lot of the time its teenagers right? I mean Im being serious.
We have a few of them here even. At the risk of sounding silly, sometimes I think some of you really arent aware of what the internet is when it comes to stuff like anonymous posts on sports boards....Bull****. Thats what it is people. It would be like me bringing up a message i saw scrawled in a bathroom of a pub. I mean....its meaningless. nothing to read into and the scope and temperature of fans is def not honestly reflected by fanboy message boards.

This is just happening b/c we all missed the world cup, there's nothing else to really discuss right now. If any of the 3 had made it no one would care about Duffy coming to the good guys.

Nedser
24/02/2010, 11:10 PM
* First of all, a disclaimer: the following contains some sweeping generalisations.

Interesting that many people are a) surprised that Scots fans are expressing hatred for Ireland and b) insisting that it's "only a small minority".

I have relatives in Scotland and have been over there many times. They'd laugh their heads off if you suggested that there's a "special relationship" between Scottish and Irish people. There is a special relationship between Scottish people of Irish descent and Irish people, but that's kind of stating the obvious, and doesn't necesarily mean the "native" Scots, particularly in the West of Scotland, see things the same. There has been huge and well documented problems between the (extremely large) Irish emigrant community and the native Scots since the famine. This has even been the subject of debate in the Scottish Parliament in the last few years. It's got nothing to do with McCarthy and McGeady - they are products of this problem, not causes of it.

In case you have doubts about the perception of Irish people among a lot of Scottish people, think about this: most presbyterians in the North are of Scottish descent. Ian Paisley springs to mind, and he's not exactly a huge fan of the Irish is he? You see Scottish flags left right and centre in Orange marches. Indeed, they have Orange marches in Scotland too and many people travel from Scotland to NI and vice versa to attend Orange marches. See where I'm going here?

It's not really surprising either when you think about it - look at some of the hostility that has developed towards immigrants in Ireland in recent years. Now imagine what it would be like if an area in Ireland with a population of 500,000 was overrun by 300,000 starving, homeless immigrants from one country in the space of 10 years. That's what happened in Glasgow during/after the famine. Then throw into the mix that virtually all of those people are of a different religion to the locals (the population of Scotland was almost 100% protestant before the famine), and not only that, they are from the religion that fought against them in one of the bloodiest religious wars in history a couple of centuries previously. Plus they weren't exactly enlightened times. I'm not saying Scottish people are right to dislike us by the way, especially 150 years later, but just pointing out that's how the Irish community in Scotland came about, and that strongly influences the perception of Irish people in Scotland.

Why exactly is it that Irish people think the Scots would have a particular fondness for us?

Crosby87
25/02/2010, 12:29 AM
Nedser I think the answer to your question is what the title of the thread alludes to.

As for the rest of it, I mean no offense but who on here wouldnt already know all that? Hope you didnt waste too much time writing it. Its almost like you just watched BraveHeart for the first time and want to explain things...

SilkCut
25/02/2010, 12:49 AM
Eh, F#ck 'em. Who really cares what anyone thinks of us, we are Irish and proud to be so. Let the Scots be scottish, the english be english the welsh be welsh etc.. What they do or say has no effect on us, they are clearly upset that now they have lost 2 players in quick succession who would make a massive difference to their side. Its good they hate us, it means they are scared of us - same goes for NI. F#CK 'em

SkStu
25/02/2010, 1:23 AM
well said.

Nedser
25/02/2010, 1:31 AM
Nedser I think the answer to your question is what the title of the thread alludes to.

So what you're saying is it's fair to assume that Scottish people in general have a particular fondness for the Irish because they share a common enmity with England? If so, that's extremely naive, and it doesn't reflect the reality. It's perfectly possible to dislike both England and Ireland, and a lot of people do. I was responding to those who have expressed surprise that that could be the case, and those (including you) who have tried to argue this is not a widely held view in Scotland.

As for the rest of it, I mean no offense but who on here wouldnt already know all that?

As I've already said above, it is clear from several replies to this thread, including one of yours, that many people do not believe that there is much anti-Irish sentiment in Scotland. I also know from personal experience that many Irish people believe there is some deep seated Celtic brotherhood between us and the Scots. It's a misconception in my view.

Its almost like you just watched BraveHeart for the first time and want to explain things...

That's one the most bizarre statements I've read on this forum, which is saying something. How would the conflict between Irish and Scots in the last 150 years be in any way relevant to Braveheart, a movie in which the Irish and Scots joined together to fight the English in the 13th century?? If anything, the views held by you and some others here - that the Irish and Scots are great mates coz we all hate England - are based on a simplistic Braveheart-esque view of the world.

Crosby87
25/02/2010, 1:49 AM
Nedser i figured you were drunk b/c obviously you are writing way too much, and it is so boring, so i was giving you a hook to rescue yourself. What I meant was...ah, never mind.

BUT i apologize. I think i can speak for the rest of the forum when i ask you to continue writing novels and history lessons for all of us to learn from. It is really really fascinating and well written.
And please point out any misconceptions that you gather from any one else, b/c you are so well respected with regard to your outlandishly (and sadly) long posts which would be appreciated.

Nedser
25/02/2010, 1:59 AM
What I meant was...ah, never mind.

Thought as much.

BUT i apologize. I think i can speak for the rest of the forum when i ask you to continue writing novels and history lessons for all of us to learn from. It is really really fascinating and well written.
And please point out any misconceptions that you gather from any one else, b/c you are so well respected with regard to your outlandishly (and sadly) long posts which would be appreciated.

Obviously struck a nerve. Oh well. I very much doubt that you can speak for the rest of the forum about anything, as you seem to have enough difficulty expressing coherent views on your own behalf, but if you don't want to read my posts you don't have to.

Plastic Paddy
25/02/2010, 6:37 AM
Nedser - thank you for your insight. Crosby87 - in your replies to Nedser you come across like one of the teenagers you referred to in your earlier post. Sarcasm doesn't become you; it would be better to leave it alone.

:ball: PP

macdermesser
25/02/2010, 7:40 AM
I was in the Belgian end for WC qualifier in Hampden park in 2001 with a couple of Belgian friends when Van Buyten scored an equaliser at the death .. which severely dented Scotland's hopes for qualifying for the 2002 World Cup. (There were a couple of Celtic fans in Belgian jerseys too - supporting that Belgian CB that used to play for them). Final whistle - the scots beside the Belgian end turned around and starting firing scarves at the Belgian fans and applauding them. I could not believe it. Best fans in the world on that evidence - can you imagine us doing the same?

osarusan
25/02/2010, 7:55 AM
I was in the Belgian end for WC qualifier in Hampden park in 2001 with a couple of Belgian friends when Van Buyten scored an equaliser at the death .. which severely dented Scotland's hopes for qualifying for the 2002 World Cup. (There were a couple of Celtic fans in Belgian jerseys too - supporting that Belgian CB that used to play for them). Final whistle - the scots beside the Belgian end turned around and starting firing scarves at the Belgian fans and applauding them. I could not believe it. Best fans in the world on that evidence - can you imagine us doing the same?

Didn't we do something similar after both the playoff defeat to the durch and the draw away to Lichtenstein?

endabob1
25/02/2010, 8:05 AM
There were a couple of Celtic fans in Belgian jerseys too - supporting that Belgian CB that used to play for them

This I well believe, I know Scottish Celtic fans who love McGeady for declaring for Ireland, they see the Scottish National side as an extension of Rangers and their loyalty is only to Celtic, the national team might as well not exist for them.

Bungle
25/02/2010, 9:06 AM
Anyone that has ever lived in Britain will know that the most anti-irish people on the whole over there are the Scots. I think this nonsense of a special relationship must come from the younger generation that grew up during the celtic tiger and never had to emmigrate and work with Scots.

There were so many times when I was working on a building site and the craic would be great between the Irish and lads from the whole of England, Wales, the North (protestant lads) and the scots brought the atmosphere down with sectarianism. From my own experience, the most sectarian lads were scottish (catholic and protestant) as opposed to lads from the North from both sides of the religious divide who actually might have had a reason to be bitter. Many of these Scots came not from Glasgow but from Dundee, Aberdeen and small villages.

Obviously most Scottish people are decent, in the same way that most Iranians and Bolivians are but special relationship...you're having a laugh:D

The only people that I would say the Irish have a special relationship with in Britain is the Scousers. I was working there in 88 when Razor scored against England and the pub that I was in went so mental you might as well have been in Mullingar!90% of the scousers were cheering for us.

tricky_colour
25/02/2010, 10:42 AM
It's just a lot of hot air from the Scots, if McGready was at the world cup they would all be secretly cheering him and Ireland on, you know it, I know it
and all the Jocks on that site know it.
I think I will have to post this fact on that site and see if anyone has the guts to admit it :D

Wolfie
25/02/2010, 12:33 PM
It's just a lot of hot air from the Scots, if McGready was at the world cup they would all be secretly cheering him and Ireland on, you know it, I know it
and all the Jocks on that sight know it.
I think I will have to post this fact on that site and see if anyone has the guts to admit it :D

Let us know how you get on with that one, tricky!!!

gilberto_eire
25/02/2010, 2:16 PM
Of course we have a special relationship with Scotland... have none of ye ever seen Braveheart? :p

21st century- sources of history - films :cool:

boovidge
25/02/2010, 3:30 PM
Braveheart must be the most historically unaccurate film ever :p Except maybe the film where the Americans crack the enigma code!

Anyway, let's hope McGeady and McCarthy have an excellent 2012 campaign.

FarBeag
25/02/2010, 3:55 PM

As for the rest of it, I mean no offense but who on here wouldnt already know all that? Hope you didnt waste too much time writing it. Its almost like you just watched BraveHeart for the first time and want to explain things...

Don't be such a prat. He may not be a member on here that long but his contribution in this short period outweighs yours normal dribble by 100%.