PDA

View Full Version : Player eligibility row

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Gather round
04/08/2010, 10:22 AM
No other agreements are necessary

No. The current rule is unsatisfactory, ergo a new agreement would be better. Nothing's set in stone, not even the rubbish you keep posting on here.

The last part of the paragraph about whether people know about who Wellington is more patronising BS

Not really. I was just responding in similar dismissive style to Nedser's post (although in practice Wellington isn't as well know as before, simply because the national curriculum doesn't teach kids about 19th century generals like it used to).

whilst know plenty of individuals born/raised in Britain (and other countries) who don't in the least feel any affinity to their 'host' nation. Why should they?

I too know such people, I'm not denying they exist. But, unlike you and Nedser, I don't assume that everyone is like me and the people I know.

Hasn't it only existed since the 1920's??

Hair-splitting. What is now Northern Ireland was part of the British state since 1800.

Clearly you're again out of touch again with the unionist community who have this thing about 'not conceding an inch'

No, I'm quite in touch with what they think. Much of which is just exaggerated rhetoric. Unionists claimed up to 1920 that they wouldn't concede a single county, then gave up 26 of 32. The border remains unchanged since the 1920s largely because it has suited a succession of governments, and public opinion, in the Republic. Before, during and since the Troublings. It's pretty obvious.

The former is due to being actively discouraged by your unionist mates and those parties having been seen as deserting their potential voters there. Not to mention inherently flawed in the main

To repeat, it's not mainly because of unionist protests. The Republic of Ireland and its institutions have done many things unionists don't like over the years. So are you agreeing with me that the Republic's parties have deserted their potential voters? If not, what's flawed and why?

Plus they don't want lots of northern Nats.voting even for the SDLP, let alone SF! Which is wrong

So we're agreed then?

You said it!

Don't be like that. You asked for an electoral system that allowed foreign-resident nationals to vote straigtforwardly, I offered one.

janeymac
04/08/2010, 10:55 AM
GR - We all know that Unionists abandoned their own in the border counties in the first place to the tender mercy of the new Republic. Secondly, since the first boundary has hardly worked out well for anyone on this island, what makes you think redrawing another line would?

As for your comments about not being welcoming to unionists in Ireland - what do you think could have been done to be more 'welcoming'? (bearing in mind that the most festive Orange Order parade takes place in the Republic and both peoples have opposite political ideology?)

geysir
04/08/2010, 10:59 AM
The problem is that RoI citizens in NI don't have a vote in the former. Which is an issue if only because some RoI supporters here are detailing at length how welcoming the Republic is to all Irish people.

Disagree, it's the same issue. The Republic withholds the vote from citizens living abroad because it suits it, largely because of the broad cost. As for the outnumbering, if you allocate citizenship so widely, of course TP Coogan's 70 million Worldwide will trump four million in the country. Likely opposition from unionists isn't the main factor- if it was, there wouldn't have been any Articles Two and Three for 60 years.

You have the unlimited capacity to spout all sorts of subjective and uninformed opinions on a myriad of topics and draw irrational conclusions.
Franchise requirements, requiring registration in order to vote in parliamentary elections, is logical and without bias. Franchise regulations for Local Gov and Presidential election are different and also have their logic and reasoning.
That is totally irrelevant to what FIFA regard as the premium eligibility criteria - full citizenship as a right. Full citizenship carries a much higher value as a connection to a country than 2nd or 3rd generation blood connection.

You don't like the FIFA rules, you don't like the citizenship rules, you don't like the rankings regulations, in fact, pretty much you are on a constant unending moanfest about most things you disagree with.

Gather round
04/08/2010, 11:18 AM
You have the unlimited capacity to spout all sorts of subjective and uninformed opinions on a myriad of topics and draw irrational conclusions

Why thanks, but you flatter me. I reckon I've been reasonably objective, well-informed and rational on here, but no doubt you'll tell me where not.

Franchise requirements, requiring registration in order to vote in parliamentary elections, is logical and without bias. Franchise regulations for Local Gov and Presidential election are different and also have their logic and reasoning

Excluding a large proportion of your citizens from voting is obviously biased, whatever the logic (for which I offered an explanation).

That is totally irrelevant to what FIFA regard as the premium eligibility criteria - full citizenship as a right. Full citizenship carries a much higher value as a connection to a country than 2nd or 3rd generation blood connection

Er, it's relevant because it answers what others have said on the thread. If you dislike/ are bored by/ don't understand it, ignore it.

What's your point about full citizenship? I'm not denying anyone else's.

You don't like the FIFA rules, you don't like the citizenship rules, you don't like the rankings regulations, in fact, pretty much you are on a constant unending moanfest about most things you disagree with

Got it in one, Einstein. It's a discussion board, not the Critique of Pure Reason. Lighten up and blow some smoke rings.

GR - We all know that Unionists abandoned their own in the border counties in the first place to the tender mercy of the new Republic. Secondly, since the first boundary has hardly worked out well for anyone on this island, what makes you think redrawing another line would?

Given that the population of the two places I mentioned is about 90% nationalist, redrawing the border around them would presumably greatly increase the number on their preferred side. Don't ye think?

As for your comments about not being welcoming to unionists in Ireland - what do you think could have been done to be more 'welcoming'? (bearing in mind that the most festive Orange Order parade takes place in the Republic and both peoples have opposite political ideology?)

You could have, variously,

* tested your popularity in our elections (only Sinn Fein of the Republic's main parties ever bothered)

* dropped your constitutional claim decades earlier, or even better, never made it in the first place. When we want to join you in a united Ireland, we'll tell you.

ArdeeBhoy
04/08/2010, 11:43 AM
It's Ok geysir, pomposity and misinformation is their middle, er, names....

geysir
04/08/2010, 11:49 AM
I also see that much of the media and the numerous posts on this matter seem to regurgitate the fact that the GFA has brought about some dynamic change in NI society to enable players born in Northern Ireland to represent the Republic due to their entitlement to Irish citzenship but from my understanding people born in the North have always been entitled to Irish citzenship since partition and the GFA has made very little difference in this regard. Perhaps I'm mistaken on this matter and maybe someone more knowledgeable in this subject (geysir, lopez) can confirm if this was the case.

However while I agree with the decision I do feel genuine sorrow for the Northern Ireland supporters as I believe, as do many of them I'm sure, that as time goes on more and more players born in Northern Ireland may well choose to represent the Republic and this is likely to put a signifcant dent in the meagre resources available to them while increasing substantially the meagre resources available to us.

Irish Citizenship entitlements (pre gfa) were outlined in the 1956 citizenship laws. Yes, NI born were entitled to apply for Irish citizenship but it was not an automatic citizenship like that for those born in the South. The GFA caused a change in the Irish citizenship laws to make the criteria same for all on the Island. In the North, the constitutional acceptance of the GFA in a referendum, recognised this as a legitimate right and also Irish unity as a legitimate aspiration for those so inclined, with a constitutionally accepted formula for ending the status of NI. The so called irredentist Irish republic aspirations have been embraced as a legitimate aspiration and constitutionally accepted by the majority of the people in the North.
I have little doubt that the way the GFA was positively embraced into the constitution, both North and South, rendered any possible IFA irredentist argument against the eligibility rules, redundant in the eyes of FIFA.

re sympathy:
It is not difficult to recognise that NI is a dual national zone. It is not difficult to recognise that the soccer team is linked predominantly with the Unionist support and identity. Possibly I would have similar sympathy that you have expressed, if the IFA had been more sincere in recognising that NI is a constitution of 2 identities. It is way past the time that they should have vigorously eliminated the trappings of the anthem etc. All in all, the way and manner that the IFA have reacted over this whole issue, is actually so typical of Unionist blinkered belligerence.

Predator
04/08/2010, 12:11 PM
Just the one I've mentioned briefly and repeatedly on this thread. Neither side would select any player who'd already appeared for the other's senior teams (full, U-21, U-19, competitive and friendly matches both) after their 18th birthday.I suspected that would be the proposal which you would advocate. To be honest, I'm not as enthusiastic about the idea as I once was, since I am in broadly favour of FIFA's rule-change allowing players to switch associations regardless of previous underage honours, because I feel it will undoubtedly benefit both the FAI, the IFA and other small associations (Algeria are a good example), not to mention players themselves. If there was to be such an agreement, I could perhaps see U21 honours as being the cut off point, rather than any appearance past the age of 18, but as I say, I can't see the FAI yielding. More importantly, why exactly should they?

The way the FAI look will probably look at it is, if players born in the north are eligible for selection under FIFA's rules and they wish to change association, then why shouldn't they be selected?

Also, I see that the old cry for compensation has arisen again on OWC. Do you think the IFA will seriously entertain such a ludicrous notion?

Gather round
04/08/2010, 12:54 PM
I suspected that would be the proposal which you would advocate

Well, it is the (only) one I've mentioned, in this and other similar threads here.

I feel it will undoubtedly benefit both the FAI, the IFA and other small associations (Algeria are a good example), not to mention players themselves

I take your point about the benefits, in that obviously what I'm suggesting would stop some players transferring from England's youth teams to Northern Ireland's. But I'd take that. Given that England's population is about five times that of the rest of Britain's combined, while their football teams don't play a proprtionately larger number of games, clearly there will always be plenty of good uncapped English players who qualify to turn out elsewhere. The players wouldn't be unfairly disavantaged, or pressured while still under-age. They still have a choice, just that its limits are a bit different.

I wouldn't really call Algeria a good example of smallness in football terms. They've made two quarter-finals and a semi in the last six African championships. They're about the ninth biggest African country by population. If they need 17 or 18 guys from France in their national squad it doesn't say much for their own players. FIFA changed the rules not because they think it's unfair that Algeria are a bit mediocre- it was clearly because the Francophone countries in North and West Africa lobbied in a bloc.

If there was to be such an agreement, I could perhaps see U21 honours as being the cut off point, rather than any appearance past the age of 18, but as I say, I can't see the FAI yielding. More importantly, why exactly should they?...The way the FAI look will probably look at it is, if players born in the north are eligible for selection under FIFA's rules and they wish to change association, then why shouldn't they be selected?

You mentioned previously where they last compromised, now you suggest a possible future equivalent. The FAI might think that the benefit of being seen to be generous may outweigh the notional loss of a few players (who they'd only 'lose' if the players had decided, as adults not impressionable children, to play for Northern Ireland). There's also the possibility- faint thought it seems at the moment- that the FAI might want to store a favor for the future. To get the IFA's vote to stage future finals, say.

Also, I see that the old cry for compensation has arisen again on OWC. Do you think the IFA will seriously entertain such a ludicrous notion?

No idea. Obviously I, like you, think the idea is pretty daft, but I can't speak for the IFA. They- and many fans, pundits, politicans etc.- are acting as madly as a box of frogs right now.

lopez
04/08/2010, 12:56 PM
You have the unlimited capacity to spout all sorts of subjective and uninformed opinions on a myriad of topics and draw irrational conclusions...You don't like the FIFA rules, you don't like the citizenship rules, you don't like the rankings regulations, in fact, pretty much you are on a constant unending moanfest about most things you disagree with.Sounds like he'll be at home on this forum. ;)

Predator
04/08/2010, 1:46 PM
I wouldn't really call Algeria a good example of smallness in football terms. They've made two quarter-finals and a semi in the last six African championships. They're about the ninth biggest African country by population. If they need 17 or 18 guys from France in their national squad it doesn't say much for their own players. FIFA changed the rules not because they think it's unfair that Algeria are a bit mediocre- it was clearly because the Francophone countries in North and West Africa lobbied in a bloc.Yeah, I understand that. I meant that Algeria were a good example of how the rules have benefitted associations. While Algeria may not really compare to the FAI or IFA, I'd still view them as being a relatively weak football association in global terms.

...The FAI might think that the benefit of being seen to be generous may outweigh the notional loss of a few players (who they'd only 'lose' if the players had decided, as adults not impressionable children, to play for Northern Ireland). There's also the possibility- faint thought it seems at the moment- that the FAI might want to store a favor for the future. To get the IFA's vote to stage future finals, say.I honestly cannot imagine that the FAI would prefer to 'save face' or whatever after the IFA's decision to take the eligibility matter to the courts. Indeed, I don't think it is even the FAI who is required to 'save face' in this matter; even so, do you honestly think the FAI particularly care for how they appear to the football world? Think about some of the comments following Henry's handball.

As a football association, the FAI (like the IFA) will always seek to look after its own interests first. In agreeing to such a deal as the one you are suggesting, the FAI would risk weakening its playing pool and the playing pool would surely be considered higher on the list of priorities than diplomacy.

No idea. Obviously I, like you, think the idea is pretty daft, but I can't speak for the IFA. They- and many fans, pundits, politicans etc.- are acting as madly as a box of frogs right now.I agree. The level of madness is actually a bit startling.

Gather round
04/08/2010, 1:59 PM
I honestly cannot imagine that the FAI would prefer to 'save face' or whatever after the IFA's decision to take the eligibility matter to the courts. Indeed, I don't think it is even the FAI who is required to 'save face' in this matter

Hang on- I'm not suggesting they need to "save face". Merely that they might be persuaded to see some small advantage in a compromise.

even so, do you honestly think the FAI particularly care for how they appear to the football world? Think about some of the comments following Henry's handball

I think they-like almost all organisations- care at least a little for their public image. Mad reaction to the Henry handball notwithstanding.

As a football association, the FAI (like the IFA) will always seek to look after its own interests first. In agreeing to such a deal as the one you are suggesting, the FAI would risk weakening its playing pool and the playing pool would surely be considered higher on the list of priorities than diplomacy

There's always give and take in compromise. The IFA have to calm down and offer something, along the broad lines I suggested.

Predator
04/08/2010, 2:12 PM
Hang on- I'm not suggesting they need to "save face". Merely that they might be persuaded to see some small advantage in a compromise.Ah right, apologies if I misunderstood.

ArdeeBhoy
04/08/2010, 7:44 PM
No. The current rule is unsatisfactory, ergo a new agreement would be better.
Only because you deem to say so. You are more bothered than the IFA seem to be.

Nothing's set in stone, not even the rubbish you keep posting on here.
Presumably more, er, Irony!

although in practice Wellington isn't as well know as before, simply because the national curriculum doesn't teach kids about 19th century generals like it used to.
You know the history curriculum of every contemporary student now??

I too know such people, I'm not denying they exist. But, unlike you and Nedser, I don't assume that everyone is like me and the people I know.
The first part again is ridiculously patronising and the rest whilst making more sense is enough to make one conclude, 'Amen to that' to the end of that statement.

What is now Northern Ireland was part of the British state since 1800.
Unionists claimed up to 1920 that they wouldn't concede a single county, then gave up 26 of 32. The border remains unchanged since the 1920s largely because it has suited a succession of governments, and public opinion, in the Republic. Before, during and since the Troublings.
It's nothing to do with the country whose name, as highlighted above, does not exist in that form!
Lol.

Though despite your claimed 'protestations', it's because the unionists have had the backing of Britain.
Nothing to do with nationalist aspirations of various Irish politicians who had no viable means of carrying this out.

To repeat, it's not mainly because of unionist protests. The Republic of Ireland and its institutions have done many things unionists don't like over the years. So are you agreeing with me that the Republic's parties have deserted their potential voters? If not, what's flawed and why?
But of course it is, as even you should know!
The next sentence is too vague to make sense, while the course of Irish politics in this context has been largely determined by the actions of your mates and threat of unwanted British intervention.
Not to mention the financial implications, which I would admit.

But if you don't know why the mainstream Irish political parties not standing in the North now are flawed, you never will.....

Don't be like that.
Except I was referring to the relative idiocy highlighted above! ;)

Why thanks, but you flatter me. I reckon I've been reasonably objective, well-informed and rational on here, but no doubt you'll tell me where not.
You seriously need to upgrade the dictionary! Or more irony?

Excluding a large proportion of your citizens from voting is obviously biased, whatever the logic.
Whereas of course the British state, and the North especially, has an exemplary record in the rightful and proportional representation of its citizens !

Got it in one, Einstein. It's a discussion board, not the Critique of Pure Reason. Lighten up and blow some smoke rings. Sunstroke??

You could have, variously,

* tested your popularity in our elections (only Sinn Fein of the Republic's main parties ever bothered)

* dropped your constitutional claim decades earlier, or even better, never made it in the first place. When we want to join you in a united Ireland, we'll tell you.
More pompous nonsense, as highlighted above!

I take your point about the benefits, in that obviously what I'm suggesting would stop some players transferring from England's youth teams to Northern Ireland's. But I'd take that.

Given that England's population is about five times that of the rest of Britain's combined, while their football teams don't play a proprtionately larger number of games, clearly there will always be plenty of good uncapped English players who qualify to turn out elsewhere. The players wouldn't be unfairly disavantaged, or pressured while still under-age. They still have a choice, just that its limits are a bit different.

I wouldn't really call Algeria a good example of smallness in football terms. They've made two quarter-finals and a semi in the last six African championships. They're about the ninth biggest African country by population. If they need 17 or 18 guys from France in their national squad it doesn't say much for their own players. FIFA changed the rules not because they think it's unfair that Algeria are a bit mediocre- it was clearly because the Francophone countries in North and West Africa lobbied in a bloc.

The FAI might think that the benefit of being seen to be generous may outweigh the notional loss of a few players (who they'd only 'lose' if the players had decided, as adults not impressionable children, to play for Northern Ireland). There's also the possibility- faint thought it seems at the moment- that the FAI might want to store a favour for the future. To get the IFA's vote to stage future finals, say.

Hang on- I'm not suggesting they need to "save face". Merely that they might be persuaded to see some small advantage in a compromise.
I think they-like almost all organisations- care at least a little for their public image.

Again, this is largely waffle. Understand a desire for a notional agreement, but unless the gnomes in Zurich insist, why bother with any compromise? The IFA have hardly facilitated their existence while the reasons highlighted here are barely going to concern the FAI.

awec
04/08/2010, 8:01 PM
I'm glad I was away for a few days, the number of stupid posts on this thread in the last few pages (including on the Orange Order - HAHA!) is incredible and I'd have either lost the head at having to correct people on such basic things or had tears running down my face at how ill-informed some people are.

awec
04/08/2010, 8:02 PM
Who is this President of the Republic of Ireland that you speak of? Would it be the President of Ireland, President McAleese? Surely you have been hanging around here long enough to know the proper name of the country you are cyber visiting.

The 12th July happens to be the anniversary of the death of Douglas Hyde, the first President of Ireland, who was a Protestant. This year was the 150th Anniversary of his birth. Why wouldn't people from all over the island come and celebrate mark this occasion.

As regards the sectarian Orange Order - they sure as heck are not going to learn anything new marching up and down the Garvahy Road. They might learn a bit of tolerance & understanding down this neck of the wood so fair play to them for coming.

I grew up near the Garvaghy Road. To say it practices tolerance and understanding is quite frankly laughable. The people there wouldn't know the meaning of the words.

When you have Brendan McKenna as your spokesperson it says a lot.

lopez
04/08/2010, 8:04 PM
I'm glad I was away for a few days, the number of stupid posts on this thread in the last few pages (including on the Orange Order - HAHA!) is incredible and I'd have either lost the head at having to correct people on such basic things or had tears running down my face at how ill-informed some people are.So what the hell are you doing back? :rolleyes:

awec
04/08/2010, 8:14 PM
So what the hell are you doing back? :rolleyes:
My shrink told me that it was safe again. ;)

janeymac
04/08/2010, 8:43 PM
I grew up near the Garvaghy Road. To say it practices tolerance and understanding is quite frankly laughable. The people there wouldn't know the meaning of the words.

When you have Brendan McKenna as your spokesperson it says a lot.

I didn't make any comment about the tolerance or understanding levels of the inhabitants of the Garvaghy Road. I did say the OO is a sectarian organisation though.

awec
04/08/2010, 8:57 PM
I didn't make any comment about the tolerance or understanding levels of the inhabitants of the Garvaghy Road. I did say the OO is a sectarian organisation though.

For your first statement, I must have picked you up wrong. My apologies.

For your second statement, that is totally wrong. Is the GAA sectarian? In my eyes it is not, the same way as the OO is not.

janeymac
04/08/2010, 9:08 PM
For your first statement, I must have picked you up wrong. My apologies.

For your second statement, that is totally wrong. Is the GAA sectarian? In my eyes it is not, the same way as the OO is not.

As a non-sectarian organisation, whose big day (12th July is all about defeating their catholic neighbours) how do you square that its not sectarian by the fact that even if a catholic was nuts enough to want to parade around in bowlers etc. they couldn't because of the religious bar to catholics.

geysir
04/08/2010, 9:16 PM
There's always give and take in compromise. The IFA have to calm down and offer something, along the broad lines I suggested.

Sounds similar to that respected intellectual giant of a Unionist politician who is suggesting a renogation of the terms of the GFA in a challenge to the European court of Human Rights, over this issue.
The IFA can grovel in sack cloths after circumnavigating the globe 10 times on their knees, for all I care.
In persisting with their bizarre position over FIFA eligibility, their public image, both intellectually and morally, has sunk lower than that mad irish 'cleric' who attacked the Olympic marathon runner. That's some ignoble achievement.
Perhaps for the IFA, harakiri would be a more fitting and noble departure.

The OWC and the IFA are indeed a curious, but well matched couple.

awec
04/08/2010, 9:18 PM
As a non-sectarian organisation, whose big day (12th July is all about defeating their catholic neighbours) how do you square that its not sectarian by the fact that even if a catholic was nuts enough to want to parade around in bowlers etc. they couldn't because of the religious bar to catholics.
Why would any Catholic want to parade to promote protestantism?!

There are plenty of Catholics who WATCH the parades and they are encouraged and welcomed when they do so. It goes unreported because as you know, news agencys are only report interesting news.

This does not make it sectarian. The GAA is there to promote a nationalist agenda, the last Protestant to play it at any decent level in NI was hounded out by what I would describe as dinosaur fans. Still, you don't see me trying to label the GAA as a sectarian organisation, instead I view it as part of a culture, the same as the OO.

My biggest problem though with the word "culture" is that on this island, people think you can only celebrate one or the other, that they are somehow mutually exclusive. It will though take a few years for the "them 'uns and us 'uns" mindset to disappear.

lopez
04/08/2010, 9:18 PM
I didn't make any comment about the tolerance or understanding levels of the inhabitants of the Garvaghy Road. I did say the OO is a sectarian organisation though.No problem with its sectarianism. It may not be an actual church, but it can certainly hide behind a front of being a religious organisation. What would p*ss me off is the racket and general upheaval their 'right to walk the Queen's highway' causes in areas where they are clearly not welcome.

Awec no doubt will give us a Ruth Dudley-Edwardsesque view of a cuddly, cultural body that is just misunderstood.

lopez
04/08/2010, 9:21 PM
...Awec no doubt will give us a Ruth Dudley-Edwardsesque view of a cuddly, cultural body that is just misunderstood.Which he goes on and does exactly that.

awec
04/08/2010, 9:27 PM
Which he goes on and does exactly that.
You know absolutely nothing of what you're talking about. :)

What are your experiences of the OO based on? Personal experience? Living in areas were the OO march? Watching OO parades?

Perhaps you need to go enlighten yourself as to WHY they march down the Garvaghy Road.

lopez
04/08/2010, 9:30 PM
You know absolutely nothing of what you're talking about. :)

What are your experiences of the OO based on? Personal experience? Living in areas were the OO march? Watching OO parades?

Perhaps you need to go enlighten yourself as to WHY they march down the Garvaghy Road.I know you're talking sh*te.

awec
04/08/2010, 9:35 PM
I know you're talking sh*te.
Really?

Based on what?

Please, lay out the facts for me, you obviously know better than us all. :)

ArdeeBhoy
04/08/2010, 9:53 PM
I've had direct experience of the GAA & the Orange Order if that helps.

In the main the former are enthusiastic but conservative and cheerful in their outlook. The latter are much the same, but swap aggressive/miserable/paranoid (Or any combination thereof) for cheerful.....

Also peered into the inner portals of the latter;Didn't really like what I saw.

janeymac
04/08/2010, 10:13 PM
Why would any Catholic want to parade to promote protestantism?!

There are plenty of Catholics who WATCH the parades and they are encouraged and welcomed when they do so. It goes unreported because as you know, news agencys are only report interesting news.

This does not make it sectarian. The GAA is there to promote a nationalist agenda, the last Protestant to play it at any decent level in NI was hounded out by what I would describe as dinosaur fans. Still, you don't see me trying to label the GAA as a sectarian organisation, instead I view it as part of a culture, the same as the OO.

My biggest problem though with the word "culture" is that on this island, people think you can only celebrate one or the other, that they are somehow mutually exclusive. It will though take a few years for the "them 'uns and us 'uns" mindset to disappear.

There are nuts everywhere - you never know why a catholic might want to march in an OO parade! These parades are being portrayed as a tourist attraction and all inclusive. Of course catholics would love to watch a parade celebrating how they lost a battle a couple of hundred years ago and are still suffering the consequences of it! Imagine if England decided to head off for Germany ever year and march around for a month celebrating the defeat of Germany in the war! Most catholics.nationalists who can afford it, get out of NI for the marching season. I did see a photo of a young girl at the last 12th parade which had some face painting on her face of KAT. Presumably she wasn't the only one getting this done. The rules of joining the OO, if not the actions make it a sectarian organisation.

The GAA was founded to promote gaelic games and promote nationalism - membership is not based on religion though. The GAA is NOT a sectarian organisation. However, it may well have individuals in it who are sectarian - but you can't blame the GAA for that - that is down to the sectarian state they grew up in which the OO had a major part in shaping.

No one has a problem with celebrating any culture - but you don't have the GAA taking over the highways & byeways of NI for weeks on end every year having this 'culture' rammed down everyone's throats.

awec
04/08/2010, 10:26 PM
There are nuts everywhere - you never know why a catholic might want to march in an OO parade! These parades are being portrayed as a tourist attraction and all inclusive. Of course catholics would love to watch a parade celebrating how they lost a battle a couple of hundred years ago and are still suffering the consequences of it! Imagine if England decided to head off for Germany ever year and march around for a month celebrating the defeat of Germany in the war! Most catholics.nationalists who can afford it, get out of NI for the marching season. I did see a photo of a young girl at the last 12th parade which had some face painting on her face of KAT. Presumably she wasn't the only one getting this done. The rules of joining the OO, if not the actions make it a sectarian organisation.

The GAA was founded to promote gaelic games and promote nationalism - membership is not based on religion though. The GAA is NOT a sectarian organisation. However, it may well have individuals in it who are sectarian - but you can't blame the GAA for that - that is down to the sectarian state they grew up in which the OO had a major part in shaping.

No one has a problem with celebrating any culture - but you don't have the GAA taking over the highways & byeways of NI for weeks on end every year having this 'culture' rammed down everyone's throats.

Your second last paragraph, replace "GAA" with "OO" and what do you have? :) Oh, take out the "membership is not based on religion though too" :D

The KAT things is a disgusting thing to paint on any childs head. The OO has come in for criticism in recent years from Protestants as well as Catholics. A lot of Protestants would see it as having adopted a "quantity over quality" approach to it's membership in recent times and that can apply at times. Without trying to single out unfairly, but the provincial lodges (outside of Belfast) would be morally superior in my humble opinion. They also lost a lot of support from Protestants/Unionists over their quite frankly pathetic handling of Drumcree in the 90's/early noughtees.

I am not religious in any way shape or form and I'm not bothered regarding tribal politics (if you can believe that :p ), but I do respect the OO for what they stand for the same way I respect the GAA and what they stand for.

I've never been to a GAA game and it's something I'd love to experience, but being from Armagh and with Armagh being the tinderbox county that it is thanks to certain scumbag individuals I don't know if I could go and feel like I'm "fitting in", and for that reason I understand why most Catholics don't like to watch the parades (but as I said, there are plenty that do).

Please, excuse the waffle.

geysir
04/08/2010, 11:10 PM
Nordies are noisy, thin skinned and waffle on about how right they are until the cows come home, I don't know why we bother.

ArdeeBhoy
04/08/2010, 11:55 PM
Well some of my distant relatives came from there, so I'd have to say not, er, all. In fact quite a lot.
;)

Den Perry
05/08/2010, 9:53 AM
Your second last paragraph, replace "GAA" with "OO" and what do you have? :) Oh, take out the "membership is not based on religion though too" :D

The KAT things is a disgusting thing to paint on any childs head. The OO has come in for criticism in recent years from Protestants as well as Catholics. A lot of Protestants would see it as having adopted a "quantity over quality" approach to it's membership in recent times and that can apply at times. Without trying to single out unfairly, but the provincial lodges (outside of Belfast) would be morally superior in my humble opinion. They also lost a lot of support from Protestants/Unionists over their quite frankly pathetic handling of Drumcree in the 90's/early noughtees.

I am not religious in any way shape or form and I'm not bothered regarding tribal politics (if you can believe that :p ), but I do respect the OO for what they stand for the same way I respect the GAA and what they stand for.

I've never been to a GAA game and it's something I'd love to experience, but being from Armagh and with Armagh being the tinderbox county that it is thanks to certain scumbag individuals I don't know if I could go and feel like I'm "fitting in", and for that reason I understand why most Catholics don't like to watch the parades (but as I said, there are plenty that do).

Surely you could go to a GAA game in Dublin and not feel so uncomfortable?

janeymac
05/08/2010, 10:34 AM

I think you should go to a GAA match before pronouncing that the gaa is anything like the OO. And now that you mention Drumcree, are there any instances of GAA supporters getting all riled up after a gaa match and firebombing a house and killing 3 kids?

You should get yourself to Croke Park this weekend for Down v Kildare in the All-Ireland semi final. The Kildare manager is from your own neck of the woods, so a bit of local interest for you.

ArdeeBhoy
05/08/2010, 11:15 AM
Awec can even support Kildare v.Armagh's local rivals!
Though one thing I can never understand though is how all those Ulaidh fans can support each others counties in GAA. Now that is odd!

awec
05/08/2010, 11:21 AM
Surely you could go to a GAA game in Dublin and not feel so uncomfortable?

Possibly, but if I opened my mouth and my dirty northern accent was heard then I reckon it would be like I'd just farted in a lift.

I think you should go to a GAA match before pronouncing that the gaa is anything like the OO. And now that you mention Drumcree, are there any instances of GAA supporters getting all riled up after a gaa match and firebombing a house and killing 3 kids?

You should get yourself to Croke Park this weekend for Down v Kildare in the All-Ireland semi final. The Kildare manager is from your own neck of the woods, so a bit of local interest for you.

It wasn't OO supporters that firebombed that house, it was a particular scumbag (who is thankfully now dead) and his mates who took it upon themselves to try and act for the OO when they were not wanted by anyone. The OO's problem was that their response to said attack was pathetic.

Awec can even support Kildare v.Armagh's local rivals!
Though one thing I can never understand though is how all those Ulaidh fans can support each others counties in GAA. Now that is odd!
Are Down Armagh's rivals then? All I know is that nobody likes Tyrone.

janeymac
05/08/2010, 12:03 PM
Possibly, but if I opened my mouth and my dirty northern accent was heard then I reckon it would be like I'd just farted in a lift.

No it wouldn't!. There will be about 30-40K 'dirty northern accents' (as you put it) in Croke Park on Sunday - including that of the manager of the Kildare team. Northerners are not regarded as foreigners down here.

It wasn't OO supporters that firebombed that house, it was a particular scumbag (who is thankfully now dead) and his mates who took it upon themselves to try and act for the OO when they were not wanted by anyone. The OO's problem was that their response to said attack was pathetic.

So, who was responsible for this 'hate' action. Their response just showed up the OO for the sectarian organisation that it is.

Are Down Armagh's rivals then? All I know is that nobody likes Tyrone.

Of course they are rivals - they compete against each other for Ulster and Ireland championships. The rivalry is more intense when you are neighbours. Down here, no one likes any of the northern teams because of their style of play (famously described by a former Kerry footballer as 'puke football'!)

awec
05/08/2010, 12:08 PM
Define their style of play?

janeymac
05/08/2010, 12:26 PM
To use a football analgy - The Northern teams (Tyrone & Armagh really) would be a Leeds back in the day (very physical & aggressive, lots of digs), where as Kerry, Cork, Dublin would be like Arsenal - very skillful. Meath would also be in the Leeds territory.

awec
05/08/2010, 12:54 PM
It's hard to imagine a GAA team not being overly physical!

janeymac
05/08/2010, 1:46 PM
It's hard to imagine a GAA team not being overly physical!

I know! But they also play at a very intense level. Incredible fitness levels.

Actually, Kildare v Down isn't until the 29th Aug (so you have plenty of time to plan)!
http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

Its hurling this weekend in Croke Park one really worth going to - Kilkenny v. Cork - two of the best teams in the country. You would have loads of neutrals at that match from all over the place.

awec
05/08/2010, 1:58 PM
I'll try get to one of them. I'll stand out when the anthem comes on and I don't know a word of it though! :D

BonnieShels
05/08/2010, 2:06 PM
Had a long winded treatise on the merits of Ulster football and Firefox stopped working. Just to say the only people who are ever frowned upon at Croke Park are Dublin fans who come in late either to matches or the championship. Everyone is welcome. I personally think out of the 4 semis to be played in either code... Tipp v Waterford and Kildare v Down are going to be classics.

Back to the eligibilty issue...

ArdeeBhoy
05/08/2010, 2:51 PM
I'll try get to one of them. I'll stand out when the anthem comes on and I don't know a word of it though! :D

Just, er, hum along....

janeymac
05/08/2010, 3:01 PM

You won't be the only one who doesn't know it! All you have to do is sort of give a sort of big yell BEFORE it finishes and you will fit in seamlessly.

BonnieShels - as a Tipp supporter, I'm surprised (and pleased) that you as a neutral would put our game ahead of Cork v Kilkenny. Hope we make it after what happened in the Final last year.

co. down green
05/08/2010, 3:13 PM
Daniel Kearns signed for Dundalk today.

Best of luck to the kid

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/100805_Kearns.asp

backstothewall
05/08/2010, 8:27 PM
You won't be the only one who doesn't know it! All you have to do is sort of give a sort of big yell BEFORE it finishes and you will fit in seamlessly.

BonnieShels - as a Tipp supporter, I'm surprised (and pleased) that you as a neutral would put our game ahead of Cork v Kilkenny. Hope we make it after what happened in the Final last year.

I think Tipp will at least get to the final, if not more. That cats have to lose sooner or later. But then I'm from Antrim, so don't take my thoughts as gospel

Charlie Darwin
07/08/2010, 2:43 AM
Wasn't the CAS supposed to issue its report this week? Nothing on their website since the day the decision was revealed.

DannyInvincible
07/08/2010, 3:06 AM
The CAS Panel dismissed the appeal and confirmed the decision issued by the Single Judge of the FIFA Players’ Status Committee, which recognized that Daniel Kearns was eligible to play for the national team of the FAI.

The full arbitral award with the grounds for the decision will be published by the CAS in a few days.

From here: http://www.tas-cas.org/en/infogenerales.asp/4-3-4316-1092-4-1-1/5-0-1092-15-1-1/

Take "in a few days" to mean whatever you like, I guess. Unfortunately, it's rather more vague and open-ended than "within the next week". Convenient, although I had thought they would have published the grounds for the decision by now myself as well.

Charlie Darwin
07/08/2010, 3:15 AM
Hmm, I must have seen the "few days" and just interpreted it as "next week." Shame, because I'm interested to know what exactly the IFA's claim was and how the CAS interpreted it.