PDA

View Full Version : Devine, K Murray, Danny M, Kearney

SSS
20/03/2004, 7:20 AM
Well, I said after the Kilkenny game that Danny was good in the tackle and passed fairly well - I'm glad it wasn't a one-off. He's got the LB job ahead of Billy IMO.

I know we won and had a great crowd etc but the fact that Dolan picked Kevin Murray in place of Benno beggars belief. I only hope that with Derek out of the picture for now that Dolan wanted to blood Kev a bit more against one of the weaker teams - next week will tell alot.

As for that Muppet Devine - he was very poor for the goal, his distribution was as slow as ever, and when George f*****d up with a back pass, Devine didn't budge off his line and gave the Dub striker three quarters of the goal to shoot at. Luckily the shot was straight at him. It's too late now, but when Devine joined City, we had the best defensive record in the league with Mooney in goal....what are the bets Moons ruins next week for us?

Someone has said that Kearney played well last night...he ran his socks off but was bundled off the ball every time bar one I'd say - I still haven't seen what it is he has that gets him international recognition (compared to Doyle and Flynn).

patsh
20/03/2004, 8:53 AM
Can't agree with you about Murphy.
I thought he was woeful. Aimlessly hoofing the ball forward when he managed to get it, being constantly passed by his opponent and Dan having to come across and cover for him.
I know its only one game, but I don't see how he was picked ahead of Billy.....:confused:

Mickey D definitely needs a good kick up the arse all right, this belting the ball out for a throw in drives me mad.

thecorner
20/03/2004, 9:53 AM
veru surprised that billy was dropped

did nothing wrong last season and picked on the eircom league team of the year

bit of a fall from grace

BOF
20/03/2004, 10:00 AM
I thought Murphy had a poor enough game as well. He is strong in the tackle (he had one real cruncher for a 50/50 ball right in front of me) but his positional sense was poor and he drove me mad hoofing the ball forward by passing the midfield (in particular Georgie) at every oportunity. Also I thought Kearney was small till I clapped eyes on our Danny. Jeez hes tiny!

As for Devine--picked up from where he stopped last season. Distribution awful. Bad mistake for the goal. Time for a change.

Thought Kearney was poor enough again, as somebody said very lightweight and easily bundled off the ball. Think Billy will play left mid next game.

brendan

Counting Crow
20/03/2004, 10:08 AM
Bit harsh on Devine lads.

Remember we had the second best defense in the League last season - conceeding just 33 goals. He saved us on many occasions.

IMO Mooney was prone to unbeliveable clanngers - remember a game against Bohs about 4 years ago. In front of the Shed, City 1-0 up with 6-7 minutes to go and he drops a simple cross between his hands into the back of the net.

Sure he laughed and joked with the crowd but Devine is a better 'keeper.

An area for Devine to improve on is definately his distribution though - he is slow getting the ball to the wingers.

adamcarr
20/03/2004, 11:48 AM
I thought Kearney was one of the best players if not the best last night. He ran his socks off, made exellent tackles and showed his skill taking the ball past most of the Dublin players and was also very unlucky not to score aswell.:rolleyes:

Gary
20/03/2004, 12:37 PM
Agreed Adam, thought Kearney had one of his better games for City last night. He was strong and wasnt bundled off the ball too easy at all. His link up play with Murphy was quite good considering Murphy is with us a week.

Murphy had a good game, but Im shocked that he is ahead of Woods, one of our players of the season last time round.

I agree about Devine. He had a dodgy pre season and it seemed to follow him into the season proper.

ccfc till i die
20/03/2004, 1:52 PM
Lads Danny Murphy was one of our best players last night so I don't know what the hell half of ye are on about givin out about him.

DolansWaistcoat
20/03/2004, 5:33 PM
It's Murphy's first game for us and he didn't really do anything wrong so whats all this crap about him already.

I agree with the Devine stuff though i've never had confidence with him in goal,it looked like another terrible mistake for their goal last night but I couldn't see clearly from the shed.I'll watch Chorus to get a proper look at it.

Kearney did ok on the wing and he can't be faulted for his 100% effert all night.

I thought K Murray looked solid in defence.He looks like he has filled out looked blockier than Dan even.The 2 Murrays could make a good centre defence but Benno might be hard to drop.

DolansWaistcoat
20/03/2004, 5:34 PM
It's Murphy's first game for us and he didn't really do anything wrong so whats all this crap about him already.

I agree with the Devine stuff though i've never had confidence with him in goal,it looked like another terrible mistake for their goal last night but I couldn't see clearly from the shed.I'll watch Chorus to get a proper look at it.

Kearney did ok on the wing and he can't be faulted for his 100% effert all night.

I thought K Murray looked solid in defence.He looks like he has filled out looked blockier than Dan even.The 2 Murrays could make a good centre defence but Benno might be hard to drop.

DolansWaistcoat
20/03/2004, 5:35 PM

Kearney did ok on the wing and he can't be faulted for his 100% effort all night.

I thought K Murray looked solid in defence.He looks like he has filled out and looked blockier than Dan even.The 2 Murrays could make a good centre defence but Benno might be hard to drop.

TheNorthsider
20/03/2004, 6:50 PM
jesus dolans waist coat was there some one in front of u for the whole game kevin murray was shocking.He was caught for pace, positional sense was appalling got caught out of position several times and gave away 2 frees in dangerous positions because he dived in.He was lucky to get away with it last nite as dub city weren't pushing to many forward, when he is up against the big boys he will be destroyed

patsh
20/03/2004, 7:24 PM
Well, I won't say it 3 times, ;) , but I thought Murphy did a few things wrong last night. Murray had to cover for him on a good few occasions. I don't think he was superb, and can't understand why Billy was dropped for him.
Woodsy was picked as the best left back in the league last season, has been playing excellently in pre-season, and the guy he was dropped for was NOT an improvement. So I don't know what half of ye are on about....:p

SSS
21/03/2004, 9:11 AM
Well, I won't say it 3 times, ;) , but I thought Murphy did a few things wrong last night. Murray had to cover for him on a good few occasions. I don't think he was superb, and can't understand why Billy was dropped for him.
Woodsy was picked as the best left back in the league last season, has been playing excellently in pre-season, and the guy he was dropped for was NOT an improvement. So I don't know what half of ye are on about....:p

How Billy was in the team of the year when the likes of Hoggie wasn't is beyond me. Billy was poor when tucking in at the far post last season and most opposition attention was down his side for a reason (even as recently as against Cobh where all their efforts went down that side). Billy was good going forward from fullback, but not good enough defensively.
As for him being in great form pre-season? I saw all games bar one and he didn't strike me as being so great.

Murphy is a natural leftback and himself admitted that he wasn't at his best on Friday (RedFM). At the very least we now have two players vying for leftback which is a good thing. Maybe Dolan was blooding Murphy a bit against weak opposition with Billy to come back for Rovers?

patsh
21/03/2004, 9:53 AM
Maybe Dolan was blooding Murphy a bit against weak opposition with Billy to come back for Rovers?
Good point, may have indeed done just that.
I would definitely prefer Billy against the scum, maybe throw on Murphy to cripple Robinson if necessary! :D

dollarsandcents
21/03/2004, 3:19 PM
thought d murphy had a good game - strong in the tackle and good in the air (considering his size!)

only problem i saw was that he frequenly ignored the midfielders in favour of long balls up front. (which were mostly a total waste, although i accept the opener was scored from one such hoof!)

dont know if he did enough on the whole to oust billy....

kearney wasnt great imho, full marks for effort and commitment though. loks like he could do with filling out a small bit yet.

from what ive seen of k murray, i dont think benno should be dropped for him.....he looked a bit sluggish, slow to react at times.

mc cash
22/03/2004, 9:32 AM

Kearney did ok on the wing and he can't be faulted for his 100% effort all night.

I thought K Murray looked solid in defence.He looks like he has filled out and looked blockier than Dan even.The 2 Murrays could make a good centre defence but Benno might be hard to drop.
i totally disagree with you .kevin murray was shocking.against the bigger teams we would have been in trouble.dan muphy played well though

pete
22/03/2004, 10:32 AM
I wasn't at the game on firday so can't talk about the performanes but few points.

Its clear from last season Dolan does not rate Benno - IMO Dolan will pick Kevin Murray aheda of him everytime!
Would like to see Kewarney get good run in the team from start of the season.

Éanna
22/03/2004, 11:19 AM
My biggest problem with Dolan right now is him not picking Benno. I don't know why Kevin Murray is getting in ahead of him- its ridiculous and it will cost us if he keeps it up. Dan and benno should be our centre-halves- end of story. As for Devine, I dunno where this rush to criticise him is coming from. I was a big fan of Mooney's but Devine was excellent for us last season and everyone makes the odd mistake. Delighted to see we've signed another left back, Billy's just not solid enough IMO and I have no idea how he got on the team of the year. Murphy looked very solid, maybe not as good going forward but he is a defender! Kearney was very good last night too, although I imagine Stevo would have played had he been fit. Kearney will just keep getting better IMO.

eastcork
22/03/2004, 11:22 AM
I thought Kearney had a great game. In the first half, all the ball went over his head and he barely got a touch. He was very good in the second half.

Cork City will never play nice football with Billy Woods in the team. Give Murphy and Kearney a few games and they will be quality together. They are both pure footballers who like to pass it about. Billy Woods only hooves the ball.

patsh
22/03/2004, 4:29 PM
Billy Woods only hooves the ball.
Not as much hoofing as Murphy was doing the other night.

mc cash
22/03/2004, 4:43 PM
Not as much hoofing as Murphy was doing the other night.
spot on but he did lay off some important balls.think we could defo sort out the midfield. gorgeous george did track back but we could do with a holding midfielder

ccfc till i die
22/03/2004, 5:30 PM
For some people if a player is to 'have a good game' they must have a perfect game. People have been picking small faults in players seemingly just for the sake of it i.e. Danny Murphy having a slight preference for long balls.

Don't slate for the sake of slating lads.

eastcork
23/03/2004, 9:31 AM
well said!

pete
23/03/2004, 9:36 AM
I think people are obcessed with this "holding midfielder" thing. Priority should be players who can pass the ball & opposition won't be able to get holkd of the ball to cause any problems. Everyones uses Hunt as an example when I see him as good passer of the ball than particularily good tackler.

rebelnorrie
23/03/2004, 10:00 AM
i dont get why people are givin out about divine.he's a great keeper and makes few mistakes.every player ****s up every now and then,the only problem is that keepers get noticed much more for it.

georgie hadnt a great game for the majority of it last friday,people arent slating him for it.

people forget v.quick what divine has done for us,remember the penno save against last season at the st.annes end?

mc cash
23/03/2004, 10:19 AM
I think people are obcessed with this "holding midfielder" thing. Priority should be players who can pass the ball & opposition won't be able to get holkd of the ball to cause any problems. Everyones uses Hunt as an example when I see him as good passer of the ball than particularily good tackler.
thats all very well but when you dont have the ball you cant really pass it can you.city really missed a good tackler in midfield last year and well its too early to say about this year.george and colin t are great distributers of the ball but against the top teams like bohs its tight and getting time on the ball is limited.also using a jackeen as an example of a good passer is criminal.why didnt u use fenn

Peadar
23/03/2004, 11:15 AM
not some bohs scumbag

That's totally uncalled for!
Hunt is one of the gentlemen of the game and a great role model for any kids watching.
Having said that we should be looking to forge our own star though. Cillian Lordan could be one for the future in that role but he needs more experience at that level and needs to bulk up a bit more. The latter should come with time and hopefully the former will too.