100 Salthill

E/W 1/5 1.2 AND 3

Mons at 18/1 look attractive to me

corkharps
17/02/2010, 8:53 PM
Limerick at 12's not a bad bet!

dcfc1928
17/02/2010, 10:05 PM
Hope Derry are able to live up to their favourites tag and win the division, not an easy task though.

gael353
17/02/2010, 10:31 PM
Boyles Betting

7/4 Derry
5/2 Shels
7/2 Waterford
9/1 Bray
12 Limerick
18 Mons
25 Longford
25 Harps
33 Athlone
40 Wexford
100 Mervue
100 Salthill

E/W 1/5 1.2 AND 3

Mons at 18/1 look attractive to me

waterford for me if there in the first division that is

osarusan
18/02/2010, 9:00 AM
Limerick at 12's not a bad bet!
Yes it is. We won't score enough goals.

GalwayRed
18/02/2010, 9:05 AM
waterford for me if there in the first division that is
Why wouldnt they be?
But yeah Waterford at 7/2 isnt bad at all.

shep
18/02/2010, 9:15 AM
Derry should win it easy.

Raheny Red
18/02/2010, 9:46 AM
Was hoping to see a bigger price on WUFC. The prices on the sides outside the top 4 are an absolute joke.

CSFShels
18/02/2010, 11:23 AM
Genuinely think we're the value bet there.

gael353
18/02/2010, 3:13 PM
im just waiting on delaney and milo (both waterford) and minister for sport (waterford) to announce if cork go down or out that the best club would be waterford as they have two stands, and munster for munster club etc

harps1954
18/02/2010, 3:19 PM
Derry should win it easy.

While Derry may win it, it certainly won't be easy. Some decent sides in First Division this year. Derry seem to have a decent first eleven, however, how they cope with injuries/suspensions remains to be seen. Shels will also be there or thereabouts but tend to blow it in the final few games. Waterford, for me, could be the Champions this year.

WoodquayBoy
18/02/2010, 3:19 PM
How many places for each-way bet, and is it quarter odds? If so, will throw a few quid on Limerick at that price, 3/1 for top 3 (if that is how it works) has to be the value bet

Schumi
18/02/2010, 3:43 PM
How many places for each-way bet, and is it quarter odds?

E/W 1/5 1.2 AND 3

sixesandsevens
18/02/2010, 3:59 PM
Hope Derry are able to live up to their favourites tag and win the division, not an easy task though.

Certainly not an easy task, just look at Shels. Stuck in Division One for a fourth season now and a lot of the teams are closely matched. Don't think Derry will go up this year, I'd rather see what the odds on them NOT getting promoted are.... it would seem like a better bet to me.

I think Shels will be there or there abouts again, and Waterford are probably the team I'd put money on. Limerick is a good punt at 12-1. Surely Wexford are worth more than the 40-1 odds being given!!

pineapple stu
18/02/2010, 4:12 PM
Wexford have lost too many of their best players to challenge, I think. Yer man gone to Pat's is the obvious example (so obvious I can't remember his name...)

Monaghan at 18s may be worth an each way shot. They had a great second half of last season; pretty much title-winning form throughout (last 15 games - W D W W L L W D D W W W W W W per soccerbot; 10-3-2). Don't think they've lost anyone they're worried about.

Edit - Conor Sinnott; that's the one.

Martinho II
18/02/2010, 4:23 PM
considering the quality of signings we have made so far and TCs track record in the first div with Galway 25/1 for us is a good e/w bet...

Lamper.sffc
18/02/2010, 4:39 PM
Like a few already said. I think its Waterfords year. Their team just ran out of steam last year and I doubt the same will happen this year.
Very competitive league this year so i think its a lot harder to predict who will be in the 1st div playoffs places for promotion.

Bluezar
18/02/2010, 7:22 PM
As a Wat Utd fan, I still think we need ti sign a centre half and a goalscorer to replace Kenny Browne and Graham Cummins. If we can strenthen there we will be very hard to beat. Liam Kearney is going to be major addition to us this season. Shels will be hard to beat again this year and I think Monaghan could be the outsiders to watch.

CSFShels
18/02/2010, 7:36 PM
I don't see the big hurrah about Waterford this year. They've lost Devine, Browne and Cummins, who together with Murray and Kiely, I would have considered their best 5 players. Shels will only be an improvement on last year. Keely realising that hoofing the ball isn't the way to play will bring the best out of a number of our players, Cassidy most of all, and we actually have a solid defence now, Ian Ryan is such a good defender, as is Gareth Whelan. Convinced it'll be a Shels-Derry 1-2, but couldn't predict the order.

Dodge
18/02/2010, 7:39 PM
Keely realising that hoofing the ball isn't the way to play will bring the best out of a number of our players, .

He hasn't change in nearly 25 years of management. He's not changing now

Schumi
18/02/2010, 7:43 PM
I thought Keely was retiring?

CSFShels
18/02/2010, 7:47 PM
He hasn't change in nearly 25 years of management. He's not changing now
Watch us play and you'll change your mind, seriously. I didn't believe it either at first.

Longfordian
18/02/2010, 7:53 PM
Watch us play and you'll change your mind, seriously. I didn't believe it either at first.

Easy to knock it around in pre-season in fairness. When the serious business starts it could be a different story.

CSFShels
18/02/2010, 8:08 PM
Easy to knock it around in pre-season in fairness. When the serious business starts it could be a different story.
Have heard his pre-match teamtalks have centred around it. We haven't signed any hoofball defenders, all our defenders this year look comfortable on the ball and don't want to waste it. Any Drogs, Rovers or Dundalk fans will testify to this, what we've been lacking so far, is someone to put the ball in the net. And that'll be alot easier to do against First Division defences.

chops91
18/02/2010, 10:54 PM
I would say Limerick but with O flynn gone I just dont know where da goals are gonna come from. so I jus hope we at least get playoffs.

pineapple stu
19/02/2010, 9:03 AM
I thought Keely was retiring?
Nope. You may be thinking of me screaming at him to f*** off and retire at the final whistle of the 2-2 game.

Sam_Heggy
19/02/2010, 1:19 PM
We are twice the team we were last season, I would like to think a play-off position is within our means.

passerrby
19/02/2010, 2:09 PM
We are twice the team we were last season, I would like to think a play-off position is within our means.

same as that

LFC-Zulu
19/02/2010, 2:29 PM
Derry for me. I would say Waterford but I just don't see WJK scoring the goals required. Or Timmy Purcell for that matter. I could be wrong but we'll see. If we had Stephen O'Flynn I'd have us at 12's, but I think we'll be 3rd at this stage. Can't see Shels being much good based on the squad so far. Monaghan are dark horses, but I think Longford haven't a hope to be fair. Given Scully's record with Kilkenny and Rovers. Best bet would be Limerick at 12's I think, but I think Derry.

Longfordian
19/02/2010, 2:39 PM
Everybody is thinking they're a lot better than last year but in fairness so are all the other clubs except maybe Wexford and Mervue. It's going to be a very tight league I reckon. I don't realistically expect us to be in the play offs at all, fifth or sixth will do for this season if we finish ahead of Athlone as well that's an added bonus. We're on an upward slope again off the field though so we'll be making progress year or year I think.

Candystripe
19/02/2010, 3:01 PM
Hopefully we will have the league wrapped up by the end of Sept and can concentrate on winning the F.A.I. cup. ;)

passerrby
19/02/2010, 3:50 PM
Hopefully we will have the league wrapped up by the end of Sept and can concentrate on winning the F.A.I. cup. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIacAO4Ttyk

CSFShels
19/02/2010, 4:32 PM
Lots of bold claims in here, but I'd be very surprised to see any of the improved teams challenge Shels, Derry and Waterford for the top 3 positions.

bluewhitearmy
19/02/2010, 6:15 PM
Derry for me. I would say Waterford but I just don't see WJK scoring the goals required. Or Timmy Purcell for that matter. I could be wrong but we'll see. If we had Stephen O'Flynn I'd have us at 12's, but I think we'll be 3rd at this stage. Can't see Shels being much good based on the squad so far. Monaghan are dark horses, but I think Longford haven't a hope to be fair. Given Scully's record with Kilkenny and Rovers. Best bet would be Limerick at 12's I think, but I think Derry.

You dont see him getting enough goals. Hes been up near top of scorers the last 2 years.

CSFShels
19/02/2010, 10:44 PM
You're certainly mistaken. He hasn't been in the top 10 scorers for the last 2 seasons.

blue til i die
20/02/2010, 12:32 AM
You're certainly mistaken. He hasn't been in the top 10 scorers for the last 2 seasons.

Thats 100% our problem at the moment! We've nobody to get 20+ goals this season at all, dont see WJK, Vinny, Grincell or Purcell doing it, but hopefully i'll be proved wrong, or else Cummins decides to sign instead of thinking about cork!

CSFShels
20/02/2010, 12:42 AM
I think we're all in the same boat there, except for Derry having Farren. But as always someone will come from nowhere and bang in loads. Much like Cummins for yous last season.

thischarmingman
20/02/2010, 2:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIacAO4Ttyk

Made me laugh...I agree btw.

pól-dcfc
20/02/2010, 2:55 AM
While Derry may win it, it certainly won't be easy. Some decent sides in First Division this year. Derry seem to have a decent first eleven, however, how they cope with injuries/suspensions remains to be seen. Shels will also be there or thereabouts but tend to blow it in the final few games. Waterford, for me, could be the Champions this year.

Our whole squad is good, and deep enough to cope with a few injuries. Farren will terrorise first division defences, and Davy McDaid has started pre-season the way he finished last season. Vinny Sweeney has had a storming start to his Derry career too. Our midfield is solid as, and our defence is actually looking better than at any time in the past 3 years in my opinion.

Sam_Heggy
20/02/2010, 10:50 AM
Davy McDaid is not up to the standard, we should know, we had him for most of last season - 1 goal to his name.
Farren will get kicked from pillar to post in the first division and Derry will have block defences out against them, unlike in the Prem (most of the time), it will be tougher to break down.
Vinny Sweeney wasn't up to it either, we had him pre-season last season and to say he was bad would be an under statement.
In defence, Scoltock is shocking bad, Eddie Mac aint getting any younger, Friars is untested in LOI (although quality in IL), and how many games will McCrystal stay around for this time round?
Midfield you have Henry, Clarke, Harkin and Cassidy as cover none of which are going to win you any division (granted Henry is a great prospect and Clarke has potential).

As Harps 1954 says, your first 11 is strong but you will struggle if you get hit by injuries and suspensions.

Unfortunately, we first division regulars know all too well that it's a tough division to get out of. If ye think ye will "cake-walk" the division, yer in for a rude awakening.

What would you guess your starting 11 to be btw?

Sam_Heggy
20/02/2010, 10:52 AM
I think we're all in the same boat there, except for Derry having Farren. But as always someone will come from nowhere and bang in loads. Much like Cummins for yous last season.

Ahem, Kevin McHugh - 122 goals in 248 League appearances for Harps.
Keep an eye out for Stephen McLaughlin for us also this season, top notch young lad.

We won't win the division (far from it) but we should be challenging for a play-off place, I would be well happy with that tbh.

CSFShels
20/02/2010, 11:56 AM
Kevin McHugh scored those goals 5 years ago Sam. His most recent spell at Linfield and Derry actually certainly weren't so prolific so I'd be reluctant to stick him under that bracket.

Scrufil
20/02/2010, 1:23 PM
Last season everyone was convinced Sporting Fingal would walk the First Division. They didn't but they managed, despite finishing third, to get promoted. I siad Waterford last year and they fell well short.

Athlone Town have a better chance of a mid-table finish this season and if we get an early run and gates increase then any mid-season signings might make the difference where Athlone finish. At least this year we have a goal keeper. I am just hoping Brendan Place manages to hold the squad together and gives up on 'the blame game' he indulged in last season that led to individual players feeling bitter and put upon by his management style. That said I hope Place lasts to the end of the season. We need a manager who can stay the course.

Sam_Heggy
20/02/2010, 1:26 PM
Kevin McHugh scored those goals 5 years ago Sam. His most recent spell at Linfield and Derry actually certainly weren't so prolific so I'd be reluctant to stick him under that bracket.

At neither club was he played as the out and out striker, usually played at right mid for both clubs.

CSFShels
20/02/2010, 1:46 PM
I know that, havent criticised him as a player, but he still hasn't been a top goalscorer for 5 years. So it'd be mad to stick him in that category.

stann
23/02/2010, 6:34 AM

WJK was 8th last season in league goals, tied on 11 with Glynn behind Conan Byrne, Cummins, Bermingham, McAllister, O'Flynn, Zayed and Kilduff. Don't have the overall scoring tables for the year but given he had - I think - 17 goals in all competitions, I can only see that rank improving, and certainly not slipping any.
Didn't score a whole lot the previous year though, 6 if memory serves.

Terry
23/02/2010, 9:42 AM
WJK was 8th last season in league goals, tied on 11 with Glynn behind Conan Byrne, Cummins, Bermingham, McAllister, O'Flynn, Zayed and Kilduff. Don't have the overall scoring tables for the year but given he had - I think - 17 goals in all competitions, .

League goals only here:

20 Conan Byrne
17 Graham Cummins
16 David McAllister
15 Eamon Zayed
14 Stephen O'Flynn
14 Derek Glynn
14 Karl Bermingham
14 Ciaran Kilduff
12 Anthony Flood
12 Willie John Kiely
10 Noel McGee
8 Conor Gethins
8 Michael Funston
8 David McMillan
8 Gary Sheehan
7 Barry Clancy
7 Gary O'Neill
7 Evan McMillan

bennocelt
23/02/2010, 10:02 AM
Wexford have lost too many of their best players to challenge, I think. Yer man gone to Pat's is the obvious example (so obvious I can't remember his name...)

Monaghan at 18s may be worth an each way shot. They had a great second half of last season; pretty much title-winning form throughout (last 15 games - W D W W L L W D D W W W W W W per soccerbot; 10-3-2). Don't think they've lost anyone they're worried about.

Edit - Conor Sinnott; that's the one.

yeah thats the one I was looking out for, there end of season form was pretty amazing, wonder have they kept much of that squad together?

Schumi
23/02/2010, 10:52 AM
yeah thats the one I was looking out for, there end of season form was pretty amazing, wonder have they kept much of that squad together?

I'm not sure of their squad but they didn't look anything special in the friendly against us. That said I thought they were pretty bad the three times we played them last year and they did alright the rest of the time so that may not mean much.

stann
25/02/2010, 9:56 AM
20 Conan Byrne
17 Graham Cummins
16 David McAllister
15 Eamon Zayed
14 Stephen O'Flynn
14 Derek Glynn
14 Karl Bermingham
14 Ciaran Kilduff
12 Anthony Flood
12 Willie John Kiely

Oops! Got my figures from eleven-a-side, who seem to have overlooked the last round of games! :D
Too big a discrepancy on Glynn's score though, something wrong there, unlikely to have scored a hat-trick in a 1-1 draw.
But anyway, 9th it is at worst then.